Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Family Longevity attendance records 12:22 - Sep 6 with 1914 viewspete81

Had a random thought at the start of the season that between myself (first game around 1990) and my grandfather (first game fairly certain pre ww2 around the time we turned professional) that we quite likely hadn't gone a season without attending a minimum of at least 1 game.
Then clearly the "covid " season blew that theory out as didn't get to any of the few 3k capacity games.
A fairly decent effort I thought.
There must be loads of baton handing over longevity efforts that can top that going through family attendance possibly back to the Broomhill days!?
Family Longevity attendance records on 12:24 - Sep 6 with 1872 viewsPrideOfTheEast

Reckon you should get an extra point for that.
Family Longevity attendance records on 13:00 - Sep 6 with 1792 viewsmonty_radio

Really good idea for a thread; hope lots of people can contribute.
My stepdad used to go back in the thirties, and steadfastly maintained up till his passing in 2015 that we had never had a player to better Jimmy McLuckie.

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

Family Longevity attendance records on 13:10 - Sep 6 with 1757 viewstextbackup

My great great grandad was in attendance back in the broomhil days. Would attend every home game.
I was slightly too young to properly remember my great grandad, but what I’d give to sit and have a beer with him now and hear his stories of Town back then!

Since then the entirely family have all been Town fans, and I think I can confidently say atleast one would have attend each game!

From my Nanny, Grandad, to great uncles, second cousins, to my dad, my mum, uncle, auntie, to myself, sister, cousins, nephew, niece and my own kids.

Thankfully the more recent attendees aren’t as let down and miserable as the mid generation (me!)
[Post edited 7 Sep 2023 7:44]

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Family Longevity attendance records on 13:11 - Sep 6 with 1749 viewsSouperJim

If was recently reflecting on the fact that I've been going to games with my dad for 25 years now, conservative estimate 25 games per season each, that's 1250 Ipswich games between us. Or 1875 hours of football. 78 days watching ITFC.

I'm sure there are plenty who can boast far bigger numbers, but still pretty bonkers when you think about it.

Poll: Prawn Crackers
Blog: Broken Ipswich

Family Longevity attendance records on 13:43 - Sep 6 with 1684 viewspete81

Family Longevity attendance records on 13:10 - Sep 6 by textbackup

My great great grandad was in attendance back in the broomhil days. Would attend every home game.
I was slightly too young to properly remember my great grandad, but what I’d give to sit and have a beer with him now and hear his stories of Town back then!

Since then the entirely family have all been Town fans, and I think I can confidently say atleast one would have attend each game!

From my Nanny, Grandad, to great uncles, second cousins, to my dad, my mum, uncle, auntie, to myself, sister, cousins, nephew, niece and my own kids.

Thankfully the more recent attendees aren’t as let down and miserable as the mid generation (me!)

Some effort that Texters,,not sure it can be bettered!
Family Longevity attendance records on 16:31 - Sep 6 with 1505 viewsBasuco

Father-in-law started going to watch Town in the 50's, he took 3 daughters and his son in the 70's, other halves and 11 grandchildren came along in the 90's, 3 great grand children came last season. He is still a season ticket holder at 87 along with his wife, but we are now down to 7 ST's and only one Grandchild remains an ST holder, but others go to a few games each season. We go to a few away games each season but that looks like getting a lot harder to do these days.
[Post edited 6 Sep 2023 16:33]
Family Longevity attendance records on 17:01 - Sep 6 with 1436 viewstextbackup

Family Longevity attendance records on 13:43 - Sep 6 by pete81

Some effort that Texters,,not sure it can be bettered!

I’ve just checked, I thought my uncle and dad (not the same person) were week in week out fans back in the late 80’s… they weren’t, would get to a good number however.

So looks as though there are gaps in that attendance.

Let downs!

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Family Longevity attendance records on 19:43 - Sep 6 with 1353 viewsScuzzer

My father who is 97 started going in 1938...he took me to my first game in 1968. I now go with my son who started in 1992. My grandkids are now showing an interest in coming. I make that 85 years continuous support.

Established 1968

Login to get fewer ads

Family Longevity attendance records on 19:55 - Sep 6 with 1338 viewsVic

Family Longevity attendance records on 19:43 - Sep 6 by Scuzzer

My father who is 97 started going in 1938...he took me to my first game in 1968. I now go with my son who started in 1992. My grandkids are now showing an interest in coming. I make that 85 years continuous support.

Another solid effort.

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Family Longevity attendance records on 22:00 - Sep 6 with 1251 viewsLRB84UK

My son is 13 and is on his second real season (thanks covid!)
I'm 39 and this is my 34th season
We sit with my mum who's 67 and has been going since childhood (she's done over 1250 consecutive games home and away)
She used to go with my grandad who is sadly no longer with us.

I don't know how many more generations we go back as football fans.

My dad also has a ST and his parent used to have them too.

Being a town fan in our house isn't a choice, it's just a way of life. My favourite days are the days we all go to an away game together.

Hubby's team play in the wrong colour blue and he stays at home with the needy dog.
Family Longevity attendance records on 22:33 - Sep 6 with 1215 viewspete81

Family Longevity attendance records on 22:00 - Sep 6 by LRB84UK

My son is 13 and is on his second real season (thanks covid!)
I'm 39 and this is my 34th season
We sit with my mum who's 67 and has been going since childhood (she's done over 1250 consecutive games home and away)
She used to go with my grandad who is sadly no longer with us.

I don't know how many more generations we go back as football fans.

My dad also has a ST and his parent used to have them too.

Being a town fan in our house isn't a choice, it's just a way of life. My favourite days are the days we all go to an away game together.

Hubby's team play in the wrong colour blue and he stays at home with the needy dog.

1250 consecutive games!!! Wow..
Family Longevity attendance records on 22:38 - Sep 6 with 1202 viewsLRB84UK

Family Longevity attendance records on 22:33 - Sep 6 by pete81

1250 consecutive games!!! Wow..

Even a broken ankle didn't stop her!

Or my 30th at center parcs (fc cup replay!)

[Post edited 6 Sep 2023 22:39]
Family Longevity attendance records on 22:45 - Sep 6 with 1194 viewsChurchman

Family Longevity attendance records on 13:10 - Sep 6 by textbackup

That’s amazing. Great thread too. I can say that at least one game a season has been attended from 1968 up until 2019 by myself, father and/ or grandfather. When all seater came in, it was season tickets from then on. Before that, mostly but not always standing.

My first game was 1968 (Cardiff). My dad first went in 1938 when they played Street (Yeovil?) and he also saw the Aston Villa replay. His dad took him and they sat in the Chicken Run. He went a lot in the 1950s and early 60s but national service work and family meant odd games after that.

My grandad used to go in the 20s and 30s, but I don’t know how often. Before that, his family were farmers out towards Bury so I doubt football in the SAL figured. He loved horse racing, bowls, boozers, his car and his club so I suspect infrequently when he could blag a ticket. Always one for free stuff!

He was matey with one of the directors and that’s how I got to sit in the best seat in the house overlooking the centre line from the west stand for my first game. I was bought a programme, scarf and rosette. I wish I still had them.

So a rather patchy, meagre effort compared to some of you - I’ll just have to live with the shame.
Family Longevity attendance records on 07:32 - Sep 7 with 1074 viewsLegendofthePhoenix

Wow, there is some longevity on here, especially since Town played their last game at Broomhill in 1884, 139 years ago.
My Dad is 86 and went to his first game in 1946. It's been a few years since he has been able to attend PR due to health, but he avidly listens to all the matches on BBC Radio Suffolk, and scours the EADT each day for the latest news. He first took me to PR in 67 (the avatar is me and my brother celebrating promotion in 68 at the local fete), we went in the chicken run, and I recall when I was old enough my brother and I went in Churchmans as boys - I think it was a shilling.
[Post edited 7 Sep 2023 7:33]

Poll: would you rather

Family Longevity attendance records on 07:57 - Sep 7 with 1037 viewsLegendofthePhoenix

Family Longevity attendance records on 07:32 - Sep 7 by LegendofthePhoenix

Wow, there is some longevity on here, especially since Town played their last game at Broomhill in 1884, 139 years ago.
My Dad is 86 and went to his first game in 1946. It's been a few years since he has been able to attend PR due to health, but he avidly listens to all the matches on BBC Radio Suffolk, and scours the EADT each day for the latest news. He first took me to PR in 67 (the avatar is me and my brother celebrating promotion in 68 at the local fete), we went in the chicken run, and I recall when I was old enough my brother and I went in Churchmans as boys - I think it was a shilling.
[Post edited 7 Sep 2023 7:33]

One random memory from days gone by. My Dad had a wooden rattle - it was utterly beautiful about 15" long and I'd guess it was made from walnut. He had bought it from an antique shop in the 50s, we think it dated from around the turn of the century. We used to take it to games occasionally in the late 60s/early 70s and it made a helluva racket. The last time I saw it was about 5 years ago, and I was of course hoping I'd inherit it when he goes. Last visit, I asked to have a look at it, and he informed me that my sister, who opened an antique shop 3 or 4 years ago, took it and flogged it.
[Post edited 7 Sep 2023 7:59]

Poll: would you rather

Family Longevity attendance records on 09:24 - Sep 7 with 981 viewsChurchman

Family Longevity attendance records on 07:57 - Sep 7 by LegendofthePhoenix

One random memory from days gone by. My Dad had a wooden rattle - it was utterly beautiful about 15" long and I'd guess it was made from walnut. He had bought it from an antique shop in the 50s, we think it dated from around the turn of the century. We used to take it to games occasionally in the late 60s/early 70s and it made a helluva racket. The last time I saw it was about 5 years ago, and I was of course hoping I'd inherit it when he goes. Last visit, I asked to have a look at it, and he informed me that my sister, who opened an antique shop 3 or 4 years ago, took it and flogged it.
[Post edited 7 Sep 2023 7:59]

Mrs C lost my first ever scarf. It went to the cup final with me and everything. She borrowed it on a cold school day (she was a teacher) and it never came home. Forgiven, but not forgotten. Grrrr. Only right.

Love the avatar pic.
Family Longevity attendance records on 10:00 - Sep 7 with 956 viewsOldFart71

Family Longevity attendance records on 13:00 - Sep 6 by monty_radio

Really good idea for a thread; hope lots of people can contribute.
My stepdad used to go back in the thirties, and steadfastly maintained up till his passing in 2015 that we had never had a player to better Jimmy McLuckie.

Was that the Jim McLuckie that worked at I.C.I. as I am sure I worked at I.C.I. when he was there. I worked for I.C.I. between 1977 and 2002. However come to think of it the guy I knew was George McLuckie. Any relationship ?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024