Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
This ball over the line thing 17:50 - Nov 6 with 3314 viewsFrimleyBlue

To erm solve the problem. Why don't they judge it on the base of the ball being behind the line? What's with the over hang rubbish.

I've always been surprised by it at corners.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

This ball over the line thing on 20:48 - Nov 6 with 1090 viewsiamatractorboy

It would mean the goal line became curved rather than a plane at right angles from the ground. Not sure how that would work.
This ball over the line thing on 21:00 - Nov 6 with 1083 viewsGeoffSentence

What problem would it solve and how would it solve it?

Can't see that working out if a bit of ball, the bit at the bottom, the bit that is hardest to see, wpuld be any clearer than the whole of the ball being over.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

This ball over the line thing on 21:02 - Nov 6 with 1070 viewsBigCommon

Should just accept the officials decisions like gentlemen. And get on with the game..
This ball over the line thing on 21:24 - Nov 6 with 1030 viewsHighgateBlue

What do you mean by "the base" of the ball? Why replace a totally logically clear rule (which has been in place for many years) with one that is vague and unworkable?

Grass has length, which means that when a ball is at rest, a considerable portion of it is touching the grass. Is this "the base"? If so, the size of the base varies as the length of the grass changes. What absolute nonsense.

Instead of shouting "get in!", let's all shout "get partially over, such that the base is entirely over!" Yeah, I'm sold.
This ball over the line thing on 21:50 - Nov 6 with 994 viewsLeaky

This ball over the line thing on 17:59 - Nov 6 by FrimleyBlue

Thats what I mean. Change the rule. Its not gonna have a massive effect.
Base of ball has to be on the line. Job done.

Same as offside. Foot only the foot has to be at least 1ft offside. Job done

Ball has hit hand, denied a goal scoring opportunity. Pen
Accidental but still hit hand indirect Freekick. Job done

Good points however far to sensible for ruling bodies in the game
This ball over the line thing on 22:14 - Nov 6 with 958 viewsstrikalite

Offside, should be offside when there is daylight between defender and attacked.. that way we can all see he'll be onside easily...80% off these crazy fine decisions would be gone, if there is daylight it'll be much more obvious to all of us, even at first viewing..
This ball over the line thing on 22:30 - Nov 6 with 945 viewsNutkins_Return

This ball over the line thing on 21:50 - Nov 6 by Leaky

Good points however far to sensible for ruling bodies in the game

They aren't good points though are they.

The suggestion on the ball is my favourite in that he has genuine forgotten that a football is not always on the ground and therefore made it infinitely more complicated and open to ridiculous errors.

It's also failing to understand that a linesman is looking along the line and generally speaking it's easier for them to judge whole ball and not the base of the ball (which funnily enough from the angle of a human head is much more difficult to judge).

This is a classic example of why VAR is struggling. It's football fans struggling with basic concepts (and some of the VAR refs for balance!)
This ball over the line thing on 22:35 - Nov 6 with 942 viewsFrimleyBlue

This ball over the line thing on 22:30 - Nov 6 by Nutkins_Return

They aren't good points though are they.

The suggestion on the ball is my favourite in that he has genuine forgotten that a football is not always on the ground and therefore made it infinitely more complicated and open to ridiculous errors.

It's also failing to understand that a linesman is looking along the line and generally speaking it's easier for them to judge whole ball and not the base of the ball (which funnily enough from the angle of a human head is much more difficult to judge).

This is a classic example of why VAR is struggling. It's football fans struggling with basic concepts (and some of the VAR refs for balance!)

As I made it clear I was talking about the recent talk I thought it was obvious I was talking about when the ball was on the floor.

Tbh. Even in the air as I've said you'd carry on guessing just like they do now anyways.

Oh and again. It's not about fans. As again already spoken about in this thread.

Waka waka eh eh

Login to get fewer ads

This ball over the line thing on 23:12 - Nov 6 with 922 viewsNutkins_Return

This ball over the line thing on 22:35 - Nov 6 by FrimleyBlue

As I made it clear I was talking about the recent talk I thought it was obvious I was talking about when the ball was on the floor.

Tbh. Even in the air as I've said you'd carry on guessing just like they do now anyways.

Oh and again. It's not about fans. As again already spoken about in this thread.

That's that cleared up then! It was all so obvious to fix. Have different rules depending on whether the ball is in the air or not. That will clean it up: adding an additional judgement to work out if the ball is 3 inches off the floor or not so the ref can then work out which rule to apply.

You are an absolute genius.
This ball over the line thing on 23:20 - Nov 6 with 915 viewsFrimleyBlue

This ball over the line thing on 23:12 - Nov 6 by Nutkins_Return

That's that cleared up then! It was all so obvious to fix. Have different rules depending on whether the ball is in the air or not. That will clean it up: adding an additional judgement to work out if the ball is 3 inches off the floor or not so the ref can then work out which rule to apply.

You are an absolute genius.

Don't need different rules no. I've never heard anyone talk about a ball in the air and question if half the ball was in or out. Has there even ever been a var to decide if a ball has been in or out in the air?

Tbh var shows the ball on the floor. As It did in the game that's caused the stir.
The easiest and quickest way of deciding if it was out again is to me, have it where the base of the ball is completely away from the white line.

Glad you re emotionally involved in this tho. Great debate :)

Waka waka eh eh

This ball over the line thing on 23:20 - Nov 6 with 915 viewsjaykay

This ball over the line thing on 18:01 - Nov 6 by FrimleyBlue

No. You just carry on as normal. Base it on what you see. You'll get some wrong. You'll get some right. But it's fairly easy to tell if base of ball is out of play. The base of the ball is simply what is touching the turf. Quite easy imo.

Then var can pick it up if it leads to a goal.

Personally I don't get the overhang thing it's odd.
[Post edited 6 Nov 2023 18:02]

and if a ball is hooked into play when its in the air

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

This ball over the line thing on 06:54 - Nov 7 with 868 viewswkj

Whilst it seems like it would solve an issue, all it would do is create a whole litany of other issues

Premier Poster. Too good to be elite.
Poll: Who do you want to see join us IN THE PREMIER LEAGUE
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

This ball over the line thing on 08:00 - Nov 7 with 850 viewsArnoldMoorhen

This ball over the line thing on 18:01 - Nov 6 by FrimleyBlue

No. You just carry on as normal. Base it on what you see. You'll get some wrong. You'll get some right. But it's fairly easy to tell if base of ball is out of play. The base of the ball is simply what is touching the turf. Quite easy imo.

Then var can pick it up if it leads to a goal.

Personally I don't get the overhang thing it's odd.
[Post edited 6 Nov 2023 18:02]

You do know that most shots don't roll along the ground, in perfect contact with the grass, don't you?

And don't get me started on headers. They tend to travel through the air as well.

Would you want VAR to draw in a special mid air grass line, so that the video referee can make a judgement about base contact?

I don't think you have thought this one through.
This ball over the line thing on 08:03 - Nov 7 with 845 viewsWickets

This ball over the line thing on 19:45 - Nov 6 by Nthsuffolkblue

Every time the ball is in the air near the side or end of the pitch it is out of play?

Yes I can see your point but I don't think anyone argues too much about the ball in the air call as everone understands that's a judgement call but ball on the ground does not need to be .
This ball over the line thing on 10:39 - Nov 7 with 805 viewsgordon

That's daft, lol, how on earth would you assess this when the balls in the air? Oh, soz, I see this has already been raised, so to speak.
[Post edited 7 Nov 2023 10:40]
This ball over the line thing on 15:42 - Nov 7 with 739 viewsBlue_In_Boston

Possibly the maddest suggestion i have ever heard (on the laws of the game at least.

If the diameter of a football is approximately 22cm or 8.66 inches the base must only be 5 or 6 centimetres, a couple of inches. Making the area that counts for decision making smaller is surely making the job harder than ever.

Good luck to the linesman on that from forty yards away!
This ball over the line thing on 15:52 - Nov 7 with 736 viewsDyland

This ball over the line thing on 21:24 - Nov 6 by HighgateBlue

What do you mean by "the base" of the ball? Why replace a totally logically clear rule (which has been in place for many years) with one that is vague and unworkable?

Grass has length, which means that when a ball is at rest, a considerable portion of it is touching the grass. Is this "the base"? If so, the size of the base varies as the length of the grass changes. What absolute nonsense.

Instead of shouting "get in!", let's all shout "get partially over, such that the base is entirely over!" Yeah, I'm sold.

"Instead of shouting "get in!", let's all shout "get partially over, such that the base is entirely over!"

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024