Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Hadn't realised Colchester in real danger of dropping out of the EFL 09:13 - Jan 9 with 4030 viewsMatt_Netherlands

Not hugely fond of them but would be a shame for East Anglia to lose another league side. Also only just realised they don’t have a single ITFC alumni in their whole first team squad anymore. That’s a pretty big change from two seasons ago where they could field an entire former ITFC XI.

I’m also not sure they would bounce back up anytime soon.
Hadn't realised Colchester in real danger of dropping out of the EFL on 09:18 - Jan 9 with 3627 viewsSWGF

Think they'll be OK now with the Cowleys there, but they were only heading one way with Etherington

Poll: What constitutes "too many" when it comes to a daily intake of custard creams?
Blog: Mirroring the Last Rites of Keane's Reign

Hadn't realised Colchester in real danger of dropping out of the EFL on 09:24 - Jan 9 with 3568 viewsSharkey

Hadn't realised Colchester in real danger of dropping out of the EFL on 09:18 - Jan 9 by SWGF

Think they'll be OK now with the Cowleys there, but they were only heading one way with Etherington

Interesting to see what the crowd will be this weekend. Might be up to about 6000 is my guess.
Hadn't realised Colchester in real danger of dropping out of the EFL on 09:25 - Jan 9 with 3560 viewsKieran_Knows

Hadn't realised Colchester in real danger of dropping out of the EFL on 09:18 - Jan 9 by SWGF

Yeah, I think he'll get them going now. Certainly a coup getting them in, saw on Twitter they were heading to Bradford before Col U came in at the last hour.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Hadn't realised Colchester in real danger of dropping out of the EFL on 09:26 - Jan 9 with 3547 views_clive_baker_

Don't think it's too much of a danger when the 2 clubs below them can't beat an egg. 6 points isn't a lot at the top end of the table, but at the current run rate it's effectively level on points with 8 games in hand for Colchester.
Hadn't realised Colchester in real danger of dropping out of the EFL on 09:32 - Jan 9 with 3495 viewsChampionsofInnsbruck

It happened to Cambridge not that long ago and was the best thing to happen to them.

I try not to wish badly on any club but their support despises Ipswich and would love to see us rot.
Hadn't realised Colchester in real danger of dropping out of the EFL on 09:37 - Jan 9 with 3454 viewsIPSWICHFANITFC

They'll be alright now. A couple of wins will put them on the 30point mark which is asking a lot of FGR and Sutton to get to.

They lost their main source of goals the other day as he was recalled by Luton to send out to a L1 side, but I'm sure Cowley will get Tom Hopper going again.

Poll: If selling Jackson meant getting in a wide man, would you be happy with Garbutt?

Hadn't realised Colchester in real danger of dropping out of the EFL on 09:52 - Jan 9 with 3350 viewsMatt_Netherlands

Hadn't realised Colchester in real danger of dropping out of the EFL on 09:25 - Jan 9 by Kieran_Knows

Yeah, I think he'll get them going now. Certainly a coup getting them in, saw on Twitter they were heading to Bradford before Col U came in at the last hour.

A bit of a coup like you say and I was surprised to see them there. Seemed like they were destined for big things 2-3 years ago but I’m not sure the Pompey stint really did their CV many favours.

I always wonder how they’d have got on here in place of the demolition man.
Hadn't realised Colchester in real danger of dropping out of the EFL on 09:56 - Jan 9 with 3320 viewsSharkey

Hadn't realised Colchester in real danger of dropping out of the EFL on 09:25 - Jan 9 by Kieran_Knows

Reading Matt Jay’s comments in the press yesterday about the preparation the Cowleys had done for the Swindon game kind of supports the theory that they accepted the Colchester job quite a while ago, as suggested on another thread here.
Login to get fewer ads

Hadn't realised Colchester in real danger of dropping out of the EFL on 10:04 - Jan 9 with 3269 views_clive_baker_

Hadn't realised Colchester in real danger of dropping out of the EFL on 09:32 - Jan 9 by ChampionsofInnsbruck

It happened to Cambridge not that long ago and was the best thing to happen to them.

I try not to wish badly on any club but their support despises Ipswich and would love to see us rot.

Maybe we can convince their fans not to despise us.

You take one, I'll take the other.
Hadn't realised Colchester in real danger of dropping out of the EFL on 10:04 - Jan 9 with 3257 viewstextbackup

Kipping at their parents house for the time as well I think I read

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Hadn't realised Colchester in real danger of dropping out of the EFL on 10:08 - Jan 9 with 3238 viewsgtsb1966

Hadn't realised Colchester in real danger of dropping out of the EFL on 09:24 - Jan 9 by Sharkey

Interesting to see what the crowd will be this weekend. Might be up to about 6000 is my guess.

You're expecting Bradford to bring 2,500 then.
Hadn't realised Colchester in real danger of dropping out of the EFL on 10:25 - Jan 9 with 3176 viewsSharkey

Hadn't realised Colchester in real danger of dropping out of the EFL on 10:08 - Jan 9 by gtsb1966

You're expecting Bradford to bring 2,500 then.

No, maybe 1500. ( has any team underachieved so much for so long as Bradford?!)

Colchester’s gates have been better than I expected recently. ( I genuinely thought there might be about 2,400 for the Salford game, but it was 3,700 or something like that, with only 100 Salford. And then of course Gillingham brought a load of fans to the next game. But my point is really that I’ve been surprised at how much the Cowleys have already galvanized the support, - even people who I thought were like me, not natural Cowley types. And I get the feeling BBC Essex is thrilled to have them back in the county .
Hadn't realised Colchester in real danger of dropping out of the EFL on 10:37 - Jan 9 with 3120 views_clive_baker_

Hadn't realised Colchester in real danger of dropping out of the EFL on 10:25 - Jan 9 by Sharkey

Colchester’s gates have been better than I expected recently. ( I genuinely thought there might be about 2,400 for the Salford game, but it was 3,700 or something like that, with only 100 Salford. And then of course Gillingham brought a load of fans to the next game. But my point is really that I’ve been surprised at how much the Cowleys have already galvanized the support, - even people who I thought were like me, not natural Cowley types. And I get the feeling BBC Essex is thrilled to have them back in the county .

Bradford City is such a curious one. I use the term giant loosely having spent the best part of the last 2 decades in the 4th tier, but by League 2 standards they're objectively a 'sleeping giant' or at least a big club. Now in their 5th consecutive season at that level, and never really threatened to go back up. Currently marooned in mid table.

Still getting average attendances of 17,500 though and a 25,000 seater stadium. Smacks of Marcus Evans vibes in terms of their ownership, pretty quiet and inoffensive, but slowly treading water and directionless. Despite that, you would've thought their budget and resources should allow them to be competitive at that level and probably the one above.

That's the sort of job I would be all over if I were a manager. Feels like little downside risk and a lot of upside potential there, unless there's more than meets the eye going wrong behind the scenes.
[Post edited 9 Jan 10:40]
Hadn't realised Colchester in real danger of dropping out of the EFL on 10:51 - Jan 9 with 2959 viewsBlueOura

They will be in no bother now with the Cowley's at the helm, and providing they get backed in the transfer market I can see them having a good go at promotion next season. I know I shouldn't and it feels wrong saying this, but I can't help but like Danny Cowley.
Hadn't realised Colchester in real danger of dropping out of the EFL on 11:02 - Jan 9 with 2874 views_clive_baker_

Hadn't realised Colchester in real danger of dropping out of the EFL on 10:51 - Jan 9 by BlueOura

They will be in no bother now with the Cowley's at the helm, and providing they get backed in the transfer market I can see them having a good go at promotion next season. I know I shouldn't and it feels wrong saying this, but I can't help but like Danny Cowley.

I think he's a great appointment for Colchester. There's a part of me that can't help thinking he's someone who talks a good game, he's a strong communicator and portrays an image of someone considered and tactically aware. Perhaps his previous career in teaching helps there, he's pretty compelling when he talks IMO and I can see why players would respond to his methods at a certain level. How tactically advanced he is in reality I'm not all that convinced, his football has been fairly attritional, but he's certainly adept at building his personal brand as has done so to good effect, particularly in the region.

Let's be honest, all of that is a big part of the job isn't it. He has to sell himself to supporters, staff and players alike, and like a lot of jobs a large part of the battle is perception and the 'how you say it'. It's for that reason that I think he's been successful to a level, but perhaps higher up the food chain is where you get found out a little more quickly and easily. It might also explain why things didn't work out at Huddersfield and to a lesser degree at Pompey. Prior to that he was very successful though, and there's every reason he could work out at Colchester too. If the club ultimately outgrows him and his approach then it's a good problem to have, as it means he'll have done a very good job.
Hadn't realised Colchester in real danger of dropping out of the EFL on 11:09 - Jan 9 with 2797 viewsBlueOura

Hadn't realised Colchester in real danger of dropping out of the EFL on 11:02 - Jan 9 by _clive_baker_

I think he's a great appointment for Colchester. There's a part of me that can't help thinking he's someone who talks a good game, he's a strong communicator and portrays an image of someone considered and tactically aware. Perhaps his previous career in teaching helps there, he's pretty compelling when he talks IMO and I can see why players would respond to his methods at a certain level. How tactically advanced he is in reality I'm not all that convinced, his football has been fairly attritional, but he's certainly adept at building his personal brand as has done so to good effect, particularly in the region.

Let's be honest, all of that is a big part of the job isn't it. He has to sell himself to supporters, staff and players alike, and like a lot of jobs a large part of the battle is perception and the 'how you say it'. It's for that reason that I think he's been successful to a level, but perhaps higher up the food chain is where you get found out a little more quickly and easily. It might also explain why things didn't work out at Huddersfield and to a lesser degree at Pompey. Prior to that he was very successful though, and there's every reason he could work out at Colchester too. If the club ultimately outgrows him and his approach then it's a good problem to have, as it means he'll have done a very good job.

Yeah I think that's a fair assessment. He does certainly talk a good game but when you compare what you see on the pitch with somebody like McKenna you do realise he is not going to the top level.

As you say though I think in the lower leagues he is decent and in many ways this is the ideal job for him and his brother at the moment. With Colchester in such a lowly position it can only go one way really. Good luck to them, i'd like to Colchester do well, despite their fans strange hatred of us.
Hadn't realised Colchester in real danger of dropping out of the EFL on 11:39 - Jan 9 with 2677 viewsChampionsofInnsbruck

Hadn't realised Colchester in real danger of dropping out of the EFL on 10:25 - Jan 9 by Sharkey

Why do your mob keep filling our away ends and keep trying to antagonise Ipswich supporters at Ipswich/Colchester stations? Fortunately you haven't had much to cheer this season with Ipswich doing so well. Must be miserable for Colwho supporters. Can't you just watch your own side and leave it at that?
Hadn't realised Colchester in real danger of dropping out of the EFL on 12:09 - Jan 9 with 2571 viewsIPSWICHFANITFC

Hadn't realised Colchester in real danger of dropping out of the EFL on 10:37 - Jan 9 by _clive_baker_

Bradford City is such a curious one. I use the term giant loosely having spent the best part of the last 2 decades in the 4th tier, but by League 2 standards they're objectively a 'sleeping giant' or at least a big club. Now in their 5th consecutive season at that level, and never really threatened to go back up. Currently marooned in mid table.

Still getting average attendances of 17,500 though and a 25,000 seater stadium. Smacks of Marcus Evans vibes in terms of their ownership, pretty quiet and inoffensive, but slowly treading water and directionless. Despite that, you would've thought their budget and resources should allow them to be competitive at that level and probably the one above.

That's the sort of job I would be all over if I were a manager. Feels like little downside risk and a lot of upside potential there, unless there's more than meets the eye going wrong behind the scenes.
[Post edited 9 Jan 10:40]

Type of club you'd think someone looking to really invest into a football club would be interested in as well - I'm not sure what Bradford's facilities are like but 17,500 attendances isn't something to overlook as a potential owner.

I don't know their current set up with the owners though, maybe they have already tried this approach and it just hasn't worked, but they are a sleeping giant in L2 and you'd think they've got potential with the fanbase to push for top end of L1 with the right investment.

Poll: If selling Jackson meant getting in a wide man, would you be happy with Garbutt?

Hadn't realised Colchester in real danger of dropping out of the EFL on 12:29 - Jan 9 with 2472 viewsJimmyJazz

Hadn't realised Colchester in real danger of dropping out of the EFL on 11:39 - Jan 9 by ChampionsofInnsbruck

Why do your mob keep filling our away ends and keep trying to antagonise Ipswich supporters at Ipswich/Colchester stations? Fortunately you haven't had much to cheer this season with Ipswich doing so well. Must be miserable for Colwho supporters. Can't you just watch your own side and leave it at that?

I can only see one person being antagonistic on this thread

Poll: If we could perm sign just one, which would it be?
Blog: Top Championship Teams?

Hadn't realised Colchester in real danger of dropping out of the EFL on 12:33 - Jan 9 with 2454 viewsitfcjoe

Hadn't realised Colchester in real danger of dropping out of the EFL on 11:02 - Jan 9 by _clive_baker_

They did a pretty good job at Huddersfield, came in when they were totally adrift at bottom of the table and had won something like 10 games in 2 years and got them safe with relative comfort before a pretty harsh sacking.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Hadn't realised Colchester in real danger of dropping out of the EFL on 13:35 - Jan 9 with 2231 views_clive_baker_

Hadn't realised Colchester in real danger of dropping out of the EFL on 12:33 - Jan 9 by itfcjoe

They did a pretty good job at Huddersfield, came in when they were totally adrift at bottom of the table and had won something like 10 games in 2 years and got them safe with relative comfort before a pretty harsh sacking.

They did OK results wise, little more than that I would say. I think totally adrift at the bottom is a bit of a stretch since they joined after only 6 games of the season, and they weren't bottom. They were also inheriting a club that had just come down from the Premier league, so to oversee lower mid table form and keep them in the Championship didn't feel like too much of an ask. I'm not saying it was an easy task, but they had a lot of quality players in that squad. It wasn't Mick at Town-esque.

Think ultimately Huddersfield's owners felt a bit entitled off the back of their premier league.
Hadn't realised Colchester in real danger of dropping out of the EFL on 16:11 - Jan 9 with 1940 viewsronnyd

Hadn't realised Colchester in real danger of dropping out of the EFL on 10:04 - Jan 9 by textbackup

Kipping at their parents house for the time as well I think I read

That'll save on the relocation expenses.
Hadn't realised Colchester in real danger of dropping out of the EFL on 09:45 - Jan 10 with 1495 viewsStewart27

Hadn't realised Colchester in real danger of dropping out of the EFL on 09:32 - Jan 9 by ChampionsofInnsbruck

I wouldn’t worry about it.

I’ve always found them nearly as pathetic as Norwich as a club in terms of their relevance.

I did say nearly!
Hadn't realised Colchester in real danger of dropping out of the EFL on 19:03 - Jan 14 with 954 viewsgtsb1966

Hadn't realised Colchester in real danger of dropping out of the EFL on 09:24 - Jan 9 by Sharkey

Hadn't realised Colchester in real danger of dropping out of the EFL on 19:27 - Jan 14 with 899 viewsbobbyramsey

Hadn't realised Colchester in real danger of dropping out of the EFL on 19:03 - Jan 14 by gtsb1966

Quite a good crowd, normally around 3,500 I think.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024