Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Is there some sort of coordinated rogue state aggression going on? 10:27 - Jan 17 with 1763 viewsnodge_blue

I see North Korea are now talking about a war with the South and unifying through aggression.

Iran is obviously promoting the Houthi's to attack ships and has also fired missiles into Iraq and Pakistan in the last week.

Hamas have initiated the attack on Israel.

Russia we know about.

China threatening Taiwan.

Its like they have got together and understand that if they do this all together the rest of the world cant deal with the scale of events.

Poll: best attacking central midfielder?

Is there some sort of coordinated rogue state aggression going on? on 10:39 - Jan 17 with 1458 viewsGuthrum

I do think there is probably an element of Russia encouraging its allies to cause distractionary trouble in other places, especially when you add in the Venezuela-Guyana situation flaring up and the several coups in West Africa (which have involved Wagner or expressed favour to Moscow). Standard Cold War doctrine.

Tho I would exclude China-Taiwan from that, being part of a much more long-running situation with its own dynamic. The timing is coincidental, based on an electoral cycle and economic circumstances. China is also currently cracking down on certain aspects of Russian trade, in response to sanctions.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Is there some sort of coordinated rogue state aggression going on? on 10:46 - Jan 17 with 1395 viewsBuhrer

No. Its just the same fearful shot as always and will feed fear and hate in order to sell a lot of bombs, while we close libraries and playing fields.
Is there some sort of coordinated rogue state aggression going on? on 10:47 - Jan 17 with 1394 viewsnodge_blue

Is there some sort of coordinated rogue state aggression going on? on 10:39 - Jan 17 by Guthrum

I do think there is probably an element of Russia encouraging its allies to cause distractionary trouble in other places, especially when you add in the Venezuela-Guyana situation flaring up and the several coups in West Africa (which have involved Wagner or expressed favour to Moscow). Standard Cold War doctrine.

Tho I would exclude China-Taiwan from that, being part of a much more long-running situation with its own dynamic. The timing is coincidental, based on an electoral cycle and economic circumstances. China is also currently cracking down on certain aspects of Russian trade, in response to sanctions.

Do you mean China is stopping some trade with Russia in order to avoid sanctions?

The alliance between China and Russia is more of convenience rather than long standing.

I think Russia is pulling Hungarys strings as well to push the envelope as far as possible within the EU.

Is there some sort of coordinated rogue state aggression going on? on 10:54 - Jan 17 with 1351 viewsGuthrum

Is there some sort of coordinated rogue state aggression going on? on 10:47 - Jan 17 by nodge_blue

Do you mean China is stopping some trade with Russia in order to avoid sanctions?

The alliance between China and Russia is more of convenience rather than long standing.

I think Russia is pulling Hungarys strings as well to push the envelope as far as possible within the EU.

Regarding Hungary, absolutely. Orban is a fairly open client of Putin. Altho some of that relates to the country's energy needs, which are very heavily dependent upon Russian gas imports. They are also very closely aligned as social conservatives.

On the last point, that's why the more hardline Republicans in the USA also like Putin. he's their kind of guy (even if one excludes the possiblities of well-filled pockets). They like destructive troublemaking, too. Like the bloke who blocked all approval of new military appointments for months on end.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Is there some sort of coordinated rogue state aggression going on? on 10:58 - Jan 17 with 1315 viewswischip

It's just life imitating art. In loads of films the villains always team up. Like Gru in a Minions film trying to join the Vicious 6 team.
Is there some sort of coordinated rogue state aggression going on? on 11:01 - Jan 17 with 1307 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

North Korea have talked about war with the South for the last 70 years (remember the war never officially ended, rather it was a long running truce).

Iran and Russia probably is connected- Russia are buying weapons from them. Iran have mobilised all their proxies, probably hoping a) to draw Israel in to a wider regional war b) part of their proxy war vs Saudi, and c) to hit the West economically through disrupting supply chains.

Definitely a time for restraint from the West, you have to wonder how this would pan out with Trump in charge given his previous hardline on Iran.
Is there some sort of coordinated rogue state aggression going on? on 11:02 - Jan 17 with 1299 viewsnodge_blue

Is there some sort of coordinated rogue state aggression going on? on 10:54 - Jan 17 by Guthrum

Regarding Hungary, absolutely. Orban is a fairly open client of Putin. Altho some of that relates to the country's energy needs, which are very heavily dependent upon Russian gas imports. They are also very closely aligned as social conservatives.

On the last point, that's why the more hardline Republicans in the USA also like Putin. he's their kind of guy (even if one excludes the possiblities of well-filled pockets). They like destructive troublemaking, too. Like the bloke who blocked all approval of new military appointments for months on end.

I spend too much time thinking about this state. Not like I can fix it.

I listened to the rest of politics interview with guy Verhofstadt. He was saying the tomorrow is about empires again and we need a European super state to compete and face down this stuff. He also said the whole of the EU spend 4 times more collectively on defence than Russia but we cant respond because it's all disparate. I think he has a point. I was never a fan of a federal Europe but maybe that's what's needed. And to do away with the veto for obvious reasons too.

Is there some sort of coordinated rogue state aggression going on? on 11:05 - Jan 17 with 1273 viewsnodge_blue

Is there some sort of coordinated rogue state aggression going on? on 10:58 - Jan 17 by wischip

It's just life imitating art. In loads of films the villains always team up. Like Gru in a Minions film trying to join the Vicious 6 team.

I think there's a generation gap :-)

Login to get fewer ads

Is there some sort of coordinated rogue state aggression going on? on 11:11 - Jan 17 with 1212 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

Is there some sort of coordinated rogue state aggression going on? on 11:02 - Jan 17 by nodge_blue

I spend too much time thinking about this state. Not like I can fix it.

I listened to the rest of politics interview with guy Verhofstadt. He was saying the tomorrow is about empires again and we need a European super state to compete and face down this stuff. He also said the whole of the EU spend 4 times more collectively on defence than Russia but we cant respond because it's all disparate. I think he has a point. I was never a fan of a federal Europe but maybe that's what's needed. And to do away with the veto for obvious reasons too.

I think that would rather undermine NATO though - and probably not successfully. NATO has been active since the post-war period and is set up with a clear chain of command, years of training together, compatible equipment, and rapid reaction forces.

Any EU force would just cause confusion about command, take years to train up, and likely be completely ineffective. The only question mark is Trump’s commitment to NATO, but you’d think the wider US government and military would be more bullish.
Is there some sort of coordinated rogue state aggression going on? on 11:11 - Jan 17 with 1211 viewsgiant_stow

Anyone know what Iran's playing at? Just seen they've sent missiles to Pakistan, Iraq and Syria...

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Is there some sort of coordinated rogue state aggression going on? on 11:15 - Jan 17 with 1187 viewsnodge_blue

Is there some sort of coordinated rogue state aggression going on? on 11:11 - Jan 17 by SuperKieranMcKenna

I think that would rather undermine NATO though - and probably not successfully. NATO has been active since the post-war period and is set up with a clear chain of command, years of training together, compatible equipment, and rapid reaction forces.

Any EU force would just cause confusion about command, take years to train up, and likely be completely ineffective. The only question mark is Trump’s commitment to NATO, but you’d think the wider US government and military would be more bullish.

He talked about a European pillar for NATO, an American pillar and an Antipodean pillar.

I think that could work.

I pretty sure that the UK cant face this stuff on its own. Small nation state mentality won't cut it in the 21st century.

Is there some sort of coordinated rogue state aggression going on? on 11:17 - Jan 17 with 1176 viewsnodge_blue

Is there some sort of coordinated rogue state aggression going on? on 11:11 - Jan 17 by giant_stow

Anyone know what Iran's playing at? Just seen they've sent missiles to Pakistan, Iraq and Syria...

The reports Ive read suggest they have attacked groups hostile to Iran rather than attacking the state as a whole. But it seems bizarre to fire missile into Pakistan in the broader context of things.

Is there some sort of coordinated rogue state aggression going on? on 11:19 - Jan 17 with 1163 viewsGlasgowBlue

Not alarnist in my know nothing opinion by GlasgowBlue 12 Jan 8:29
I think we are seeing the early stages of World War III. The Russian invasion of Ukraine with NATO countries giving military support which falls short of being actively involved in the ground. Israel at war with Iran’s proxies Hamas and Palestinian an Islamic Jihad. The UK and US launching strikes and another Iranian proxy, the Houthis in Yemen. Iran giving arms to Russia.

It’s all connected.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Is there some sort of coordinated rogue state aggression going on? on 11:24 - Jan 17 with 1142 viewsnodge_blue

Is there some sort of coordinated rogue state aggression going on? on 11:19 - Jan 17 by GlasgowBlue

I think we are seeing the early stages of World War III. The Russian invasion of Ukraine with NATO countries giving military support which falls short of being actively involved in the ground. Israel at war with Iran’s proxies Hamas and Palestinian an Islamic Jihad. The UK and US launching strikes and another Iranian proxy, the Houthis in Yemen. Iran giving arms to Russia.

It’s all connected.

I didnt see that thread.

Im not sure it's WW3. Think the world is too complex for that now. But it could be multiple protracted conflicts.

Is there some sort of coordinated rogue state aggression going on? on 11:36 - Jan 17 with 1095 viewsStokieBlue

Is there some sort of coordinated rogue state aggression going on? on 11:17 - Jan 17 by nodge_blue

The reports Ive read suggest they have attacked groups hostile to Iran rather than attacking the state as a whole. But it seems bizarre to fire missile into Pakistan in the broader context of things.

The strike on Iraq was to hit an alleged Israeli spy base.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Is there some sort of coordinated rogue state aggression going on? on 11:36 - Jan 17 with 1102 viewsJohnTy

Is there some sort of coordinated rogue state aggression going on? on 11:19 - Jan 17 by GlasgowBlue

It’s all connected.

I wouldn't be hung up on terminology, which perhaps suggests a kind of cyclical view of history. Until September 1939 what we now call the 1st World War was always called the Great War. Both "World Wars" were centred in Europe, which the current conflicts most certainly are not.

What we are seeing seems to me to be the terminal decline of European dominance of the world, and serious challenges to post war US hegemony. Amazing to think that not much more than 30 years ago Fukuyama was lauded for announcing "the end of history."
Is there some sort of coordinated rogue state aggression going on? on 11:37 - Jan 17 with 1097 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

Is there some sort of coordinated rogue state aggression going on? on 11:11 - Jan 17 by giant_stow

Commented in another thread - most likely linked to a terror attack in Iran by Islamic militants. Could all be part of wider Sunni / Shia tensions with Iran and Saudi backing opposing groups.

https://www.aljazeera.com/program/newsfeed/2024/1/3/deadly-explosions-in-iran-du

https://www.france24.com/en/asia-pacific/20240117-pakistan-says-iran-launched-ai
[Post edited 17 Jan 11:39]
Is there some sort of coordinated rogue state aggression going on? on 11:38 - Jan 17 with 1083 viewsGlasgowBlue

Is there some sort of coordinated rogue state aggression going on? on 11:24 - Jan 17 by nodge_blue

I didnt see that thread.

Im not sure it's WW3. Think the world is too complex for that now. But it could be multiple protracted conflicts.

I think it’s the start. I also think we are a few years away from it escalating.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Is there some sort of coordinated rogue state aggression going on? on 11:42 - Jan 17 with 1049 viewsBuhrer

Is there some sort of coordinated rogue state aggression going on? on 11:38 - Jan 17 by GlasgowBlue

I think it’s the start. I also think we are a few years away from it escalating.

Is there some sort of coordinated rogue state aggression going on? on 11:47 - Jan 17 with 1019 viewsnodge_blue

Is there some sort of coordinated rogue state aggression going on? on 11:38 - Jan 17 by GlasgowBlue

I might as well have a couple of overseas holidays this year then!

Is there some sort of coordinated rogue state aggression going on? on 11:47 - Jan 17 with 1014 viewsStokieBlue

There isn't really anything in it for the main powers to have a WW3.

Hence they all poke each other by proxy and those proxies get hurt whilst the main powers carry on as they were.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Is there some sort of coordinated rogue state aggression going on? on 11:48 - Jan 17 with 1017 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

Is there some sort of coordinated rogue state aggression going on? on 11:15 - Jan 17 by nodge_blue

He talked about a European pillar for NATO, an American pillar and an Antipodean pillar.

I think that could work.

I pretty sure that the UK cant face this stuff on its own. Small nation state mentality won't cut it in the 21st century.

There is also a matter of trust. There is suspicion even amongst allies, e.g unease within NATO and Turkey/Erdogan. This is why five eyes exist in conjunction with those organisations- even then members were/are uneasy sharing information on China with NZ given their perceived closeness and reliance on trade.
Is there some sort of coordinated rogue state aggression going on? on 12:04 - Jan 17 with 962 viewsDJR

Is there some sort of coordinated rogue state aggression going on? on 11:47 - Jan 17 by StokieBlue

Hence they all poke each other by proxy and those proxies get hurt whilst the main powers carry on as they were.

SB

And Mutually Assured Destruction also keeps them from going too far.
[Post edited 17 Jan 12:05]
Is there some sort of coordinated rogue state aggression going on? on 09:21 - Jan 18 with 694 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-68014882.amp

Pakistan have responded with a missile strike on Iran in a further escalation of events. Hard to know how this will play out. Somebody needs to reign Iran in given their strikes on three countries, and various attacks launched by their proxy groups. Given their ‘death to America’ stance, any calming of tensions would likely have to come from China or Russia…
Is there some sort of coordinated rogue state aggression going on? on 09:35 - Jan 18 with 654 viewsitfcjoe

Is there some sort of coordinated rogue state aggression going on? on 11:47 - Jan 17 by StokieBlue

SB

The problem is, the major powers seem to have lost control of the proxys....US can't stop Israel, if Iran wanted to stop Hamas/Hezbollah they no longer could

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024