Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Striker options - and alternatives 08:22 - Jan 19 with 2242 viewsBbmaj

Bam Bam.

Acknowledging the contribution from Hirst last year with some crucial goals, our number 10s are a huge threat to other teams. Midfielders/wide players can score. We get a few from corners.

So what is it that we need from the number 9, or focal point? The ability to compete with defenders, to hold/shield and being other players in. Closing down (Ladapo’s heel?). Being direct and first to the ball, which might include running in behind and shots.

Do we not play a passing, possession game in a manner similar to Liverpool, Barcelona, Man Citeh, all of whom have played without a traditional striker at times?

If we can’t find/sign a genuine 9 that suits our club and style of play (number 18 perhaps, feels like we need two of them!), and don’t have anyone viable coming up through the ranks, could a midfielder or even defender do much of this?

Broadhead seems off his game right now and maybe not robust enough. Despite Chaplins heading prowess, he may be too small although I’d like to see it tried out. Harness is a total enigma, some games he is a worldbeater but in others is anonymous or atrocious, but would less liable to assist a goal for the opposition of up front! I do wonder if Sarmiento could do this job. Not seen much of Travis, but he could fit the mould perhaps. Other candidates?

So back to my first words…. The last time we were challenging for promotion to the top tier there was a reet good Yorkshire lad called Richard Naylor who came up through the youth system. As a striker, he put himself about and caused absolute mayhem, scaring defenders shirtless. Later in life, he did exactly the same as a central defender (scaring attackers instead). One of my favourites from that era, although there were many!

Could we do the reverse, and have a defender operate as a temporary or backup striker? Harry Clarke was an attack minded midfielder, I’ve seen him suggested on other threads. Call me crazy or stupid, but I think it would be interesting to see Luke Woolfenden up front, or one of our other CBs. They know how to win a ball, have aerial prowess, can battle a bit. Might need to change the training regime a little to be really effective, but I can’t see this being any worse than Freddie Lackadaisical based on recent showings. Maybe we will see a 20 minute cameo soon after Jackson has tired out the entire Leicester back line. (I’m sure McKenna reads TWTD, it’s the best website around).

Off to get some coffee and a flame proof jacket, this post may not go down well. I hope to return later to read about our transfer updates as I’m sure the club have a few options, including some none of us have thought about.

Up the Town.
[Post edited 19 Jan 8:57]
Striker options - and alternatives on 09:15 - Jan 19 with 2033 views_clive_baker_

Have I been in a coma for 3 months and woken up on 1st April?
Striker options - and alternatives on 09:20 - Jan 19 with 1997 viewsBiGDonnie

Let's chuck Hladky at left back whilst we're at it

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

Striker options - and alternatives on 09:21 - Jan 19 with 1987 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

As much as I love Clarke, if we finish this window with him up front Ashton will be clearing his desk.

Top satirical read though, well played.
Striker options - and alternatives on 09:24 - Jan 19 with 1964 viewstextbackup

Some are concerned Moore couldn’t press as we need, the thought of Wolf up top trying to do this is a little wild.

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Striker options - and alternatives on 09:44 - Jan 19 with 1847 viewsGuthrum

We need someone who can do all the hold-up play, upsetting the defenders, pressing the goalie, knock-downs for Chaplin, etc.,

BUT

... we also need somebody who can put half-chances in the net. Somebody who has an eye for the half-opportunities and situations where bursting past the defence onto a through ball is on, then to be able to execute those moves. A striker's instincts, if you like. I think that's why McKenna favours Jackson. He may not be as effective as Hirst, but he has the right thinking - as we saw on Saturday.

A converted defender simply hasn't had the years of instinct-training and muscle-memory to recognise situations and go straight into action. Take a moment to think and the opportunity is gone.

Neither do they have the positioning instincts of one who has been playing that position for years. They don't naturally adjust, know what to be looking at - trigger signs for an offside trap push, for example.

Nor is somebody like Clarke a natural marksmen. He may have a strong shot, but they often miss by quite a long way.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Striker options - and alternatives on 10:15 - Jan 19 with 1718 viewsBbmaj

Striker options - and alternatives on 09:20 - Jan 19 by BiGDonnie

Let's chuck Hladky at left back whilst we're at it

Actually, we could try him or Walton up front as we have two excellent keepers at the club!

Hladky gives the ball away too often to work as a defender, but he’s got a decent long range pass so bombing on as left back and crossing it could work.

(Trying to keep up the gentle humour, why can’t every day be an April fools day?)
Striker options - and alternatives on 10:23 - Jan 19 with 1659 viewsClutch

Saying Harness is sometimes atrocious is quite frankly ridiculous.
Striker options - and alternatives on 10:28 - Jan 19 with 1614 viewsGuthrum

Striker options - and alternatives on 10:23 - Jan 19 by Clutch

Saying Harness is sometimes atrocious is quite frankly ridiculous.

Indeed. His performances have been getting better as the season progresses.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Login to get fewer ads

Striker options - and alternatives on 10:42 - Jan 19 with 1527 viewsitfctilidie

The bloke in the ticket office could probably do a job up there
Striker options - and alternatives on 10:57 - Jan 19 with 1453 viewsBiGDonnie

Striker options - and alternatives on 10:15 - Jan 19 by Bbmaj

Actually, we could try him or Walton up front as we have two excellent keepers at the club!

Hladky gives the ball away too often to work as a defender, but he’s got a decent long range pass so bombing on as left back and crossing it could work.

(Trying to keep up the gentle humour, why can’t every day be an April fools day?)

I'm all for it brother!

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

Striker options - and alternatives on 11:01 - Jan 19 with 1428 viewsBbmaj

Striker options - and alternatives on 10:28 - Jan 19 by Guthrum

Indeed. His performances have been getting better as the season progresses.

Sorry, mentally scarred by Burton away and some other games where suicidal passes/first touch like a trampoline didn’t help.

I think he’s great when in form, but always waiting the next reason to groan. My son chides my unfavourable treatment of Marcus, and I think he’s right. Atrocious definitely not a good choice of words, he is no Gwion Edwards let alone a Keanen Bennett’s and I am glad he’s a Town player, can be a real game changer at times.

Better?
Striker options - and alternatives on 11:04 - Jan 19 with 1403 viewsjayessess

We have one more league game until the end of the window. It is obvious who will play in the 9 role for that fixture (Kayden Jackson). Could we not just get behind him, rather than inventing outlandish plans for makeshift strikers, something that Kieran McKenna has shown precisely zero inclination for?

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Striker options - and alternatives on 11:06 - Jan 19 with 1391 viewsBbmaj

Striker options - and alternatives on 09:44 - Jan 19 by Guthrum

We need someone who can do all the hold-up play, upsetting the defenders, pressing the goalie, knock-downs for Chaplin, etc.,

BUT

... we also need somebody who can put half-chances in the net. Somebody who has an eye for the half-opportunities and situations where bursting past the defence onto a through ball is on, then to be able to execute those moves. A striker's instincts, if you like. I think that's why McKenna favours Jackson. He may not be as effective as Hirst, but he has the right thinking - as we saw on Saturday.

A converted defender simply hasn't had the years of instinct-training and muscle-memory to recognise situations and go straight into action. Take a moment to think and the opportunity is gone.

Neither do they have the positioning instincts of one who has been playing that position for years. They don't naturally adjust, know what to be looking at - trigger signs for an offside trap push, for example.

Nor is somebody like Clarke a natural marksmen. He may have a strong shot, but they often miss by quite a long way.

A very sensible reply, wasn’t expecting that :-)

I think that the best defenders have great instincts and muscle training, they have to anticipate where the ball is going in order to beat/block strikers.

If Titus Bramble was around I think I’d give him a try up front against Norwich, would certainly ruffle a few feathers if nothing else.
Striker options - and alternatives on 11:53 - Jan 19 with 1268 viewsGeoffSentence

Striker options - and alternatives on 11:06 - Jan 19 by Bbmaj

A very sensible reply, wasn’t expecting that :-)

I think that the best defenders have great instincts and muscle training, they have to anticipate where the ball is going in order to beat/block strikers.

If Titus Bramble was around I think I’d give him a try up front against Norwich, would certainly ruffle a few feathers if nothing else.

There have been other examples in history where this has worked, Malcolm McDonald was a great example, was a right back until Bobby Robson converted him to s atriker at Fulham, and he went on to have an excellent career including playing for England.

Mind you, that when he was a youngster and he was trained up for it, which I suppose could be a possibility for anyone with the right attributes, but not a quick fix. Certainly wouldn't want to shoe-horn someone like Clarke up front out of the blue, especially when Jackson and Ladapo are available.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Striker options - and alternatives on 11:55 - Jan 19 with 1255 viewsMetal_Hacker

Striker options - and alternatives on 11:01 - Jan 19 by Bbmaj

Sorry, mentally scarred by Burton away and some other games where suicidal passes/first touch like a trampoline didn’t help.

I think he’s great when in form, but always waiting the next reason to groan. My son chides my unfavourable treatment of Marcus, and I think he’s right. Atrocious definitely not a good choice of words, he is no Gwion Edwards let alone a Keanen Bennett’s and I am glad he’s a Town player, can be a real game changer at times.

Better?

Burton away last season when he scored the goal to win 1-0 you mean ?

Poll: If it were one or the other

Striker options - and alternatives on 12:37 - Jan 19 with 1151 viewsBluemer

Striker options - and alternatives on 11:53 - Jan 19 by GeoffSentence

There have been other examples in history where this has worked, Malcolm McDonald was a great example, was a right back until Bobby Robson converted him to s atriker at Fulham, and he went on to have an excellent career including playing for England.

Mind you, that when he was a youngster and he was trained up for it, which I suppose could be a possibility for anyone with the right attributes, but not a quick fix. Certainly wouldn't want to shoe-horn someone like Clarke up front out of the blue, especially when Jackson and Ladapo are available.

Seem to remember Paul Warhurst in the early nineties played emergency striker for Sheffield Wednesday and went on to spend most of his career there, think he was even close to getting an England call up at one point. Think football has moved on a bit since then though
Striker options - and alternatives on 12:44 - Jan 19 with 1098 viewsBbmaj

Striker options - and alternatives on 11:55 - Jan 19 by Metal_Hacker

Burton away last season when he scored the goal to win 1-0 you mean ?

Ha! Maybe not that game. Didn’t get to many away days last year (small grounds, amazing support from the Town) so could have been a televised match.

Memory often gets hazy of match detail, but I definitely remember the Burton home fans/members bar immediately behind our seats where I met a few of the Town coaching staff, quick and good beer, and the simple parking nearby. Great away day, even if we somehow made Ahadme look like a good player😂

My concern about occasional passes from Harness back to defenders in midfield without properly looking/control is not just from that one game. Nor the tendency to disappear. But I acknowledge his contribution to attacking threat, and how this has not just continued but improved in Championship.

Better?
Striker options - and alternatives on 13:19 - Jan 19 with 1005 viewsBbmaj

Striker options - and alternatives on 11:04 - Jan 19 by jayessess

We have one more league game until the end of the window. It is obvious who will play in the 9 role for that fixture (Kayden Jackson). Could we not just get behind him, rather than inventing outlandish plans for makeshift strikers, something that Kieran McKenna has shown precisely zero inclination for?

I am sure we have a game plan for Leicester based on using Jackson and his attributes to great effect. I will be cheering his every run and touch, reckon he will bag at least one goal and maybe earn us a penalty, although the officials sometimes seem to have a strange rule book when Town are playing. They say it evens out over the season, but I think we would have had (and perhaps conceded!) quite a few more with VAR/decent eyesight.

If Ladapo starts or comes on, I’ll hope he has a good day but maybe less optimistic about contribution to goals scored. EDIT - unless he’s already left for Charlton 😂

Home game was a cracker. The way game flowed surely affected by earlyish goal and Leicester sitting on the lead. Away may pan out differently, pace up front could be vital.
[Post edited 19 Jan 13:20]
Striker options - and alternatives on 14:34 - Jan 19 with 883 viewsMediocre_Quick

Nurse, I'll have what he's having, thanks
Striker options - and alternatives on 14:56 - Jan 19 with 795 viewsDouble_Dutch

Striker options - and alternatives on 14:34 - Jan 19 by Mediocre_Quick

Nurse, I'll have what he's having, thanks

Too late, Unstableblue has taken the last of the medication, with such a HUGE game on Monday!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024