Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Safe Standing 08:36 - Jan 19 with 1169 viewspennblue

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-68006281

So, please excuse my ignorance on this matter but if we introduced this into the Lower North, I am assuming it would make absolutely zero difference to anything would it? Same number of fans, everyone still standing?

So what is the point?

Poll: How are we going to try and undermine the manager today?

It’s safer? (n/t) on 08:44 - Jan 19 with 1101 viewsBloots

Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Elite Level Human

Safe Standing on 08:46 - Jan 19 with 1090 viewsCheltenham_Blue

You can't go tumbling over the seat in front of you.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Safe Standing on 08:48 - Jan 19 with 1085 viewsCheltenham_Blue

I'll be honest, the final part of this sentence is more interesting to me than the self standing.

"The planned changes by the Championship side follow fan feedback and advice from acoustic experts."

I wonder if the club have thought about bringing in acoustic experts here?

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Safe Standing on 08:49 - Jan 19 with 1076 viewsSheffordBlue

Safe Standing on 08:46 - Jan 19 by Cheltenham_Blue

You can't go tumbling over the seat in front of you.

Instead you get to tumble over the barriers that have to be in place to prevent forward movement.......

https://sgsa.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2022/07/SG01-Safe-standing-in-seated-area

Poll: How many points do you think you'll need to get a ticket for Norwich?

Safe Standing on 08:49 - Jan 19 with 1078 viewsZx1988

The introduction of rails would serve to make it safer to stand (and perhaps more comfortable as well).

I imagine it would be a similar sort of experience to at MK Dons, where the seat backs are high enough that you've got something to lean on if standing, and provide a bit more protection from tumbling over forwards.

Poll: Stone Island - immediate associations

Safe Standing on 09:19 - Jan 19 with 972 viewspennblue

Safe Standing on 08:49 - Jan 19 by Zx1988

The introduction of rails would serve to make it safer to stand (and perhaps more comfortable as well).

I imagine it would be a similar sort of experience to at MK Dons, where the seat backs are high enough that you've got something to lean on if standing, and provide a bit more protection from tumbling over forwards.

Ok got it - thanks all.

Safe Standing on 09:27 - Jan 19 with 945 viewsGuthrum

The club would no longer (theoretically) get into trouble for everybody standing up anyway.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Safe Standing on 09:42 - Jan 19 with 895 viewsNthQldITFC

Safe Standing on 08:48 - Jan 19 by Cheltenham_Blue

I'll be honest, the final part of this sentence is more interesting to me than the self standing.

"The planned changes by the Championship side follow fan feedback and advice from acoustic experts."

I wonder if the club have thought about bringing in acoustic experts here?

I think people would also be more likely to sing if stood up, it somehow feels less inhibiting. Also maybe your lungs are more open?

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Login to get fewer ads

Safe Standing on 09:47 - Jan 19 with 869 viewsBedfordBlue

Current law in England requires a seat for every person (even in safe standing). But work still ongoing on allowing space between rows so higher capacity can be used (like in Dortmund and many other grounds with rail seating).

Some more info here:
https://www.safestandingroadshow.co.uk/the-case-for-safe-standing/can-safe-stand
https://www.safestandingroadshow.co.uk/news/news/borussiadortmundhostsafestandin
Safe Standing on 09:48 - Jan 19 with 865 viewsDanny_G

I don’t think there’s much point in doing it now for that reason.

In the future, there’s a chance that it could increase the capacity by letting you double the rows in between seats. It would require a change in regulations but the official safety guidance has already been written, plus the standing area in Everton’s new stadium is being built specifically to allow for this - I can’t imagine they’d have done this without having some inclination that it might be allowed in the future.

Obviously it’s not as simple as just adding in a new row and doubling the tickets, but it is certainly possible to adapt areas built as all-seater to allow double-capacity standing. Loads of German clubs, plus a couple of lower-league English clubs, have done exactly this and, whatever work is required, it’s presumably a lot cheaper than building a new stand.
[Post edited 19 Jan 9:50]
Safe Standing on 12:10 - Jan 19 with 671 viewsSlambo

Safe Standing on 09:47 - Jan 19 by BedfordBlue

Current law in England requires a seat for every person (even in safe standing). But work still ongoing on allowing space between rows so higher capacity can be used (like in Dortmund and many other grounds with rail seating).

Some more info here:
https://www.safestandingroadshow.co.uk/the-case-for-safe-standing/can-safe-stand
https://www.safestandingroadshow.co.uk/news/news/borussiadortmundhostsafestandin

I was having a lengthy discussion with Peter Daykin who was the safe-standing czar at the FSA about this very matter. Basically, the SGSA are keen to 'let loose' with standing, but because the legislation around it is such a mess it just takes a long time to unpick it. Interestingly, he said "the SGSA are no longer the enemy", implying that it's the government who are being a hindrance (and it wouldn't surprise me if the police are throwing obstacle in the way as well). So something like 'one standing spot per seating spot' rail-seating is just a necessary 'baby-step'. It's also more prevalent as that was - at the time - the only design allowed when trials of standing were first conducted...

But the fact is if a club comes to the SGSA with a 'normal' terrace design with rock solid safety mitigations - such as what you see with Exeter's 4,000 capacity Big Bank terrace - the legal case to block it can't really be upheld. It's just a question of if/when a club has the desire to do that...

Which brings us to Ipswich. We've been in the club's ear about including a 'proper' standing area (and by proper we mean a normal terrace, like what you see at Exeter, Morecambe, Burton etc etc) in the Cobbold redevelopment plans. In our fevered wet dreams we see the club shop being demolished and relocated and that corner being filled in with a 2,000 man European style 'Curva'. You could then install rail seating in the North Stand for those who want to stand, but don't want to be buffeted about too much on a terrace. The rail seating bit means that the section could still be used all year round for concerts etc. We have to just pray that the club don't just take the easy route out and slap rail seating in and be done with it...

UPPA TOWEN!
Blog: Consumer Rights

Safe Standing on 13:12 - Jan 19 with 578 viewsSlambo

Safe Standing on 09:42 - Jan 19 by NthQldITFC

I think people would also be more likely to sing if stood up, it somehow feels less inhibiting. Also maybe your lungs are more open?

Not necessarily. The main requisite is allowing fans who are temperamentally inclined to sing to be able to congregate. This is precisely the problem with the North Stand - there are probably a good couple of hundred singers in there, but they're completely neutralised because they're all scattered about and have no means of getting near each other (apart form on the concourse - hence why it's often more of a buzz in there than in the stand!). This is exactly what A Block is trying to address - one place where the atmosphere generators can merge into one to maximise impact. But this could be done better if a proper terrace was installed...

UPPA TOWEN!
Blog: Consumer Rights

Safe Standing on 13:36 - Jan 19 with 539 viewspennblue

Safe Standing on 13:12 - Jan 19 by Slambo

Not necessarily. The main requisite is allowing fans who are temperamentally inclined to sing to be able to congregate. This is precisely the problem with the North Stand - there are probably a good couple of hundred singers in there, but they're completely neutralised because they're all scattered about and have no means of getting near each other (apart form on the concourse - hence why it's often more of a buzz in there than in the stand!). This is exactly what A Block is trying to address - one place where the atmosphere generators can merge into one to maximise impact. But this could be done better if a proper terrace was installed...

Seems like it needs a working group setup to really sort it out once and for all. Is MA open to this?

The corner idea could work, my main concern would be next time we have a down turn, would people want to go and be in that corner part when the view would probably be compromised? It's why I feel the main singing stand should always be behind the goal (in a Kop style stand).

They clearly want an atmosphere at PR, but they should therefore be open to discussing it in an open forum.
[Post edited 19 Jan 13:37]

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024