Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
TWTD Hive mind - Cape Town advice - Best area to stay 13:17 - Feb 11 with 1695 viewsLord_Lucan

Thanks in advance

Edit......

Not too keen on loads of tourists and overpriced tat.

Will have a car so can drive about - so also interested in places to visit within an hour or so, longer if required.
[Post edited 11 Feb 13:34]

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

TWTD Hive mind - Cape Town advice - Best area to stay on 13:55 - Feb 11 with 1655 viewsTractorboy24

Would suggest walking up Table Mountain from the Botanical Gardens, a lovely walk and a pub is at the top (with cable car to get down)

Stellenbosch is a good wine regions with lots of vineyards.

Calamari at a shack in Hout Bay was the first time I tried it, and is still the best I’ve ever had.

It is 16 years since I went, so all of this could be out of date.
TWTD Hive mind - Cape Town advice - Best area to stay on 14:06 - Feb 11 with 1646 viewsWeWereZombies

More advice on how not to get to where you are staying than where to stay but on my last night in Windhoek (Wednesday) my host at the guesthouse told me a little horror story about someone who had used Google Maps to direct them from the airport to where they were staying. And it had directed them through the township...

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

TWTD Hive mind - Cape Town advice - Best area to stay on 14:14 - Feb 11 with 1627 viewsfarkenhell

Stay at Camps Bay if you can. Loads to do, off the top of my head, Cape of Good Hope, Stellenbosch wineries, travel some of Garden Route and stop off at Knysnia (sp) on the way.
TWTD Hive mind - Cape Town advice - Best area to stay on 22:13 - Feb 11 with 1531 viewsallezlesbleus

When are you planning on going?

I have just come back from there and have visited it around 10 times since living there at the end of apartheid / release of Nelson Mandela days.

The Waterfront and Clifton / Camps Bay areas are the safest and most touristy. The city centre / CBD (central business district) is OK...........relatively safe, with several normal to upmarket bars, restaurants and clubs around Bree St, Shortmarket St, Waterkant St (my old favourite haunt, The Crow Bar) and Riebeeck St.

Long Street always was and still is the more edgy area for nightlife.

Going up the hill towards the cable car station at the bottom of Table Mountain, you have the areas of Gardens, Oranjezicht and Vredehoek. These are also safe areas and numerous bars and restaurants have opened up in the last decade or so. It's also just a short walk / uber into the city centre.

On the other side of Signal Hill you have Sea Point and Green Point. Sea Point used to be quite lively and wild at night, but I didn't go out there at night on my last visit. Green Point has several bars and restaurants along Main Road, but these are relatively "tame".

Going inland (towards the airport) you have the Southern Suburbs ( Constantia, Bishops Court very upmarket, Newlands, Rondebosch normal, Khayelitsha, Mitchell's Plain, Gugulethu and Nyanga extremely dangerous townships and numerous others which are also not advisable to travel through).

The Northen Suburbs also have a mix of OK to "better off avoiding" areas.

The drive from Sea Point, through Clifton, Camps Bay, Llandudno, Hout Bay and then the Chapman's Peak drive to Noordhoek is stunning. From Noordhoek you can do the Cape Point tour via Kommetjie and Scarborough which is a natural area, with not much civilisation. After visiting Cape Point, go back along the False Bay coast via Boulders Beach (now touristy, as it's a penguin reserve) and then via Simon's Town (old navy port), Fish Hoek and then to Kalk Bay.

There are other interesting places to visit for day trips. PM for more details.
[Post edited 11 Feb 22:16]
TWTD Hive mind - Cape Town advice - Best area to stay on 22:22 - Feb 11 with 1508 viewsbluelagos

Camps bay and the waterfront will be the most popular with tourists, but also safest to go walk about.

Check out options around green market sq if you want to be near Long st. Have stayed in Hout bay and Simonstown whidh are a bit cheaper and easy to access with a car.

Given you want to be on the lash, I'd go for green market sq. Make sure they have parking

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

TWTD Hive mind - Cape Town advice - Best area to stay on 22:34 - Feb 11 with 1501 viewsLord_Lucan

TWTD Hive mind - Cape Town advice - Best area to stay on 22:13 - Feb 11 by allezlesbleus

I have just come back from there and have visited it around 10 times since living there at the end of apartheid / release of Nelson Mandela days.

The Waterfront and Clifton / Camps Bay areas are the safest and most touristy. The city centre / CBD (central business district) is OK...........relatively safe, with several normal to upmarket bars, restaurants and clubs around Bree St, Shortmarket St, Waterkant St (my old favourite haunt, The Crow Bar) and Riebeeck St.

Going up the hill towards the cable car station at the bottom of Table Mountain, you have the areas of Gardens, Oranjezicht and Vredehoek. These are also safe areas and numerous bars and restaurants have opened up in the last decade or so. It's also just a short walk / uber into the city centre.

On the other side of Signal Hill you have Sea Point and Green Point. Sea Point used to be quite lively and wild at night, but I didn't go out there at night on my last visit. Green Point has several bars and restaurants along Main Road, but these are relatively "tame".

Going inland (towards the airport) you have the Southern Suburbs ( Constantia, Bishops Court very upmarket, Newlands, Rondebosch normal, Khayelitsha, Mitchell's Plain, Gugulethu and Nyanga extremely dangerous townships and numerous others which are also not advisable to travel through).

The drive from Sea Point, through Clifton, Camps Bay, Llandudno, Hout Bay and then the Chapman's Peak drive to Noordhoek is stunning. From Noordhoek you can do the Cape Point tour via Kommetjie and Scarborough which is a natural area, with not much civilisation. After visiting Cape Point, go back along the False Bay coast via Boulders Beach (now touristy, as it's a penguin reserve) and then via Simon's Town (old navy port), Fish Hoek and then to Kalk Bay.

Cheers

I'll have a look at all that.

I think I'm going to do about 7 - 10 days in Cape, hire a car and do a bit of driving about and see where I end up. It seems a lot safer than Joberg which was a bit dodgy.

The main thing was to incorporate a bit of animal stuff for the mrs while we are there so I've booked this place up for three days in March and I'll go there after the cape leg. https://inverdoorn.com/ambassador-suite/ - selecting that part was the main problem but that's now done, all I have to do now is get flights and hotel in Cape and I can decide what else to do while I'm there.

By all accounts they have a beach with penguins, I might also take some telescopic rods over for a bit of harbour fishing.

Looking forward to it!
[Post edited 11 Feb 22:54]

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.

TWTD Hive mind - Cape Town advice - Best area to stay on 23:06 - Feb 11 with 1478 viewsTractorboy24

TWTD Hive mind - Cape Town advice - Best area to stay on 22:34 - Feb 11 by Lord_Lucan

Cheers

I think I'm going to do about 7 - 10 days in Cape, hire a car and do a bit of driving about and see where I end up. It seems a lot safer than Joberg which was a bit dodgy.

The main thing was to incorporate a bit of animal stuff for the mrs while we are there so I've booked this place up for three days in March and I'll go there after the cape leg. https://inverdoorn.com/ambassador-suite/ - selecting that part was the main problem but that's now done, all I have to do now is get flights and hotel in Cape and I can decide what else to do while I'm there.

By all accounts they have a beach with penguins, I might also take some telescopic rods over for a bit of harbour fishing.

Looking forward to it!

Beach with penguins I think is Boulders Beach, there was a centre which I think you had to pay to get in, but if you walked past that, along the path, there were a load of penguins which were nesting. I was sat on a bench and one literally popped up by my feet from a little hole.
TWTD Hive mind - Cape Town advice - Best area to stay on 00:39 - Feb 12 with 1415 viewsolimar

Would echo other suggestions that Waterfront or Camps Bay are great to stay, very safe and plenty of restaurant/bar options.
Rather than say they are "tourist" areas, they are more just popular areas for the locals and tourists.
Login to get fewer ads

TWTD Hive mind - Cape Town advice - Best area to stay on 04:59 - Feb 12 with 1360 viewsallezlesbleus

TWTD Hive mind - Cape Town advice - Best area to stay on 22:34 - Feb 11 by Lord_Lucan

Cheers

Looking forward to it!

7 - 10 days is my recommendation for Cape Town, definitely no shorter. March is a good time, not so busy with tourists and decent weather.

On my 1st trip to SA, when I was 20, I stayed with a mate in Pretoria. It was a full on 2 weeks of partying in Pretoria and Joburg. He wanted to visit the Kruger National Park and I was totally against it. He talked me into going........to be honest, that was fantastic and now we try to go to one of the game reserves each time we visit SA. Most of the parks are in the Transvaal or Kwazulu Natal, but where you are staying looks amazing. The area around there is beautiful. On the way there or back to CPT, you should make time to visit some of the towns and winelands, such as Worcester, Franschoek and Stellenbosch.

Jo'burg is dodgy and Durban, which I never really liked has really gone downhill.

The Garden Route is very picturesque, as others have suggested.

Boulders, for the penguins is worth a visit. Back in the day, it was just a regular small beach, where a few curious penguins would swim close to you. Now it is a protected reserve and the public pay to visit. There are hundreds, if not thousands of penguins, so I would give it a look for an hour or so.

Fishing would be possible along the False Bay coastline, but also Hout Bay and even at Moullie Point, which is just along from the Waterfront. Deep sea fishing is also very popular from Cape Town and there are numerous dams inland where you can fish too.
[Post edited 12 Feb 5:00]
TWTD Hive mind - Cape Town advice - Best area to stay on 08:02 - Feb 12 with 1280 viewsLord_Lucan

TWTD Hive mind - Cape Town advice - Best area to stay on 04:59 - Feb 12 by allezlesbleus

7 - 10 days is my recommendation for Cape Town, definitely no shorter. March is a good time, not so busy with tourists and decent weather.

On my 1st trip to SA, when I was 20, I stayed with a mate in Pretoria. It was a full on 2 weeks of partying in Pretoria and Joburg. He wanted to visit the Kruger National Park and I was totally against it. He talked me into going........to be honest, that was fantastic and now we try to go to one of the game reserves each time we visit SA. Most of the parks are in the Transvaal or Kwazulu Natal, but where you are staying looks amazing. The area around there is beautiful. On the way there or back to CPT, you should make time to visit some of the towns and winelands, such as Worcester, Franschoek and Stellenbosch.

Jo'burg is dodgy and Durban, which I never really liked has really gone downhill.

The Garden Route is very picturesque, as others have suggested.

Boulders, for the penguins is worth a visit. Back in the day, it was just a regular small beach, where a few curious penguins would swim close to you. Now it is a protected reserve and the public pay to visit. There are hundreds, if not thousands of penguins, so I would give it a look for an hour or so.

Fishing would be possible along the False Bay coastline, but also Hout Bay and even at Moullie Point, which is just along from the Waterfront. Deep sea fishing is also very popular from Cape Town and there are numerous dams inland where you can fish too.
[Post edited 12 Feb 5:00]

Cheers for that.

I went to Kruger last year, excellent stuff.

I haven't booked flights yet but I think I will do 7 days in CT, then the three days in the animal bit and then leave myself a few days to do as I wish and decide once there.

My mrs has been researching the penguin beach thing, she says that there is a paid beach with large amounts of penguins and humans but further on there is a free beach with smaller amounts of penguins and few humans, I will go there.

I'd like one day to fish either Lake Tanganyika or Malawi but I'm not sure about the crocodiles.

TWTD Hive mind - Cape Town advice - Best area to stay on 19:11 - Feb 13 with 1040 viewsLord_Lucan

TWTD Hive mind - Cape Town advice - Best area to stay on 22:13 - Feb 11 by allezlesbleus

This is turning into a bit of an effort!!!!

Found a very reasonable place with regards to the price, right on Lagoon Beach but I'm wondering - is this too far out? It looks about half hour drive from the action.

The other places I'm looking at are a reasonably priced apartment but that's in the centre, near the Cruise Terminal....

...or finally, a real nice place in Camps Bay which is a lot dearer.

I don't usually skimp on anything but flights aren't cheap and the bloody animal place is screwing me at £650 a night.

Final help appreciated as I want to make my mind up.

Cheers everyone.

TWTD Hive mind - Cape Town advice - Best area to stay on 22:01 - Feb 13 with 995 viewsbluelagos

TWTD Hive mind - Cape Town advice - Best area to stay on 19:11 - Feb 13 by Lord_Lucan

Found a very reasonable place with regards to the price, right on Lagoon Beach but I'm wondering - is this too far out? It looks about half hour drive from the action.

The other places I'm looking at are a reasonably priced apartment but that's in the centre, near the Cruise Terminal....

I don't usually skimp on anything but flights aren't cheap and the bloody animal place is screwing me at £650 a night.

Cheers everyone.

Southern Sun. Portswood hotel. Or if you are feeling flush the Cape Grace.

Stayed at all and they are all spot on - safe, reasonably priced. (Except the CG)

Edit: Just googled the Cape Grace - prices seem to be mental - think it's been refurbished and priced accordingly.
[Post edited 13 Feb 22:09]

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

TWTD Hive mind - Cape Town advice - Best area to stay on 22:05 - Feb 13 with 980 viewsallezlesbleus

TWTD Hive mind - Cape Town advice - Best area to stay on 19:11 - Feb 13 by Lord_Lucan

Cheers everyone.

Lagoon Beach will probably be too far out for you. Good for a day drip to get the iconic photos of Table Mountain, but not a lot going on nightlife wise.

Camps Bay is very picturesque and has a number of more upmarket / touristy bars and restaurants. Not too far to get to the centre of CPT by uber, going over Kloof Nek, near the Table Mountain Cable Car.

The apartment in the centre, by the cruise terminal would be the best option probably. From there you can walk to the Waterfront and the bars / restaurants in the city centre.

What does Lady L desire from a holiday? If it's great scenery in an upmarket villa / apartment then probably Camps Bay. If she wants to go shopping alone, with the chance to lie by a pool and have numerous safe bars and restaurants nearby, then The Waterfront. If she's happy to Walk 15 minutes to The Waterfront and 10 minutes to the City Centre and have a wide selection of bars, clubs and restaurants (and there are a good mix of upmarket, normal/touristy and more rough and ready), then the city apartment would work.

I'll pm you the details of where my wife and I stayed in The Waterfront.
TWTD Hive mind - Cape Town advice - Best area to stay on 23:05 - Feb 13 with 935 viewsblueislander

TWTD Hive mind - Cape Town advice - Best area to stay on 14:14 - Feb 11 by farkenhell

Stay at Camps Bay if you can. Loads to do, off the top of my head, Cape of Good Hope, Stellenbosch wineries, travel some of Garden Route and stop off at Knysnia (sp) on the way.

Knysna is fabulous. There is an elephant orphanage there where you can hand feed the little ones.
TWTD Hive mind - Cape Town advice - Best area to stay on 23:54 - Feb 13 with 907 viewsfarkenhell

TWTD Hive mind - Cape Town advice - Best area to stay on 08:02 - Feb 12 by Lord_Lucan

Cheers for that.

I went to Kruger last year, excellent stuff.

I haven't booked flights yet but I think I will do 7 days in CT, then the three days in the animal bit and then leave myself a few days to do as I wish and decide once there.

My mrs has been researching the penguin beach thing, she says that there is a paid beach with large amounts of penguins and humans but further on there is a free beach with smaller amounts of penguins and few humans, I will go there.

I'd like one day to fish either Lake Tanganyika or Malawi but I'm not sure about the crocodiles.

Bet you collapse with laughter when you hear the penguins. I did - unreal.
TWTD Hive mind - Cape Town advice - Best area to stayre on 00:05 - Feb 14 with 899 viewsfarkenhell

Cheers everyone.

Think allezlesbleus spot on with your places to stay. Gotta say, £650 per night sounds very expensive for the animal place. Are you buying shares in the place!
TWTD Hive mind - Cape Town advice - Best area to stayre on 07:58 - Feb 14 with 819 viewsLord_Lucan

TWTD Hive mind - Cape Town advice - Best area to stayre on 00:05 - Feb 14 by farkenhell

Think allezlesbleus spot on with your places to stay. Gotta say, £650 per night sounds very expensive for the animal place. Are you buying shares in the place!

Re; Inverdoorn animal place - I've gone for the best suite they have including private drives etc, I thought that would be worth the experience, the place is stunning.

I'll probably bite the bullet and also spend on a nice place in Camps Bay. I suppose it's a bit jarring as last year on Joberg side everything was half the price, in fact I had my own cottage in Kruger for about $50 a night.

I usually spend quite some time arranging holidays and generally get good deals by arranging everything independently rather than a package but this time I seem to be getting screwed every which way.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024