Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Songs spoilt by use in adverts and the like? 20:11 - Feb 28 with 1550 viewsDJR

The introduction to Blitzkrieg Bop in the AO advert springs to mind, and I was rather disturbed to hear the following in an advert recently.

Anyone else with examples?
[Post edited 28 Feb 20:13]
Songs spoilt by use in adverts and the like? on 20:17 - Feb 28 with 1501 viewsDJR

Here's a link to the ad.

https://www.tvadsongs.uk/expedia-commercial-northern-lights-norway/
Songs spoilt by use in adverts and the like? on 20:17 - Feb 28 with 1500 viewsNedPlimpton

One good things is that the AO advert introduced my 6 year old to the Ramones and was a gateway to his love of all things rock and him now working his way though his drumming grades
Songs spoilt by use in adverts and the like? on 20:21 - Feb 28 with 1472 viewsDJR

Songs spoilt by use in adverts and the like? on 20:17 - Feb 28 by NedPlimpton

One good things is that the AO advert introduced my 6 year old to the Ramones and was a gateway to his love of all things rock and him now working his way though his drumming grades

That can't be bad. And talk of that song brings to mind this great but quirky version.

Songs spoilt by use in adverts and the like? on 20:51 - Feb 28 with 1416 viewsDJR

This was an advert that didn't do justice to the beauty and depth of the original.

[Post edited 28 Feb 20:52]
Ca Plane Pour Moi v Kelloggs. (n/t) on 20:57 - Feb 28 with 1393 viewsBloots

Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Elite Level Human

Songs spoilt by use in adverts and the like? on 21:28 - Feb 28 with 1345 viewsRetiredBlue

Not so sure spoilt but certainly mightily surprised, another Velvet Underground song this time used for Dunlop tyres.

Elite level village idiots are still village idiots

Songs spoilt by use in adverts and the like? on 21:28 - Feb 28 with 1343 viewsCaptainAhab

That gorilla doing the Phil Collins drum solo.
Nah just kidding, that was great!
Songs spoilt by use in adverts and the like? on 21:41 - Feb 28 with 1312 viewsCoastalblue

I remember when Bittersweet Symphony by The Verve got used for just about anything requiring a musical interlude, I imagine even if you loved it to begin with you'd have become sick of hearing it very quickly.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Login to get fewer ads

Songs spoilt by use in adverts and the like? on 21:50 - Feb 28 with 1290 viewsDJR

This story behind the use of this song is below the clip but it's such a great riff and song that the advert couldn't really spoil it, even though there is a longer pause near the beginning than in the original song.

Historically, the band rejected companies' requests to use their songs to advertise products, like Dr Pepper and British Telecom. Then in the early 1990s, the company Levi's asked the band members' permission to use the song for a jeans commercial for the British audience. Despite the band often prioritising "creativity and idealism over commercial exploitation", the band members left the decision to the main songwriter Mick Jones, who approved the permission, rationalizing that Levi's jeans had been part of the rock music culture rather than something to "object on moral grounds". The song was played for the Levi's commercial and then reissued on 18 February 1991 as a single, a decade after its original release, reaching number one on the UK Singles Chart. It became the band's only number-one single on the UK Chart
Songs spoilt by use in adverts and the like? on 21:51 - Feb 28 with 1279 viewsDJR

Songs spoilt by use in adverts and the like? on 21:28 - Feb 28 by RetiredBlue

Not so sure spoilt but certainly mightily surprised, another Velvet Underground song this time used for Dunlop tyres.

I've not seen that before but the song works well with the video footage.
[Post edited 28 Feb 21:52]
Songs spoilt by use in adverts and the like? on 21:58 - Feb 28 with 1254 viewsWeWereZombies

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Songs spoilt by use in adverts and the like? on 22:07 - Feb 28 with 1237 viewsRozz

Not quite in the spirit of the OP, but I was quite surprised to stumble upon The Hives at Glastonbury last summer who I instantly recognised from seemingly every car advert ever.

[Post edited 28 Feb 22:08]
Songs spoilt by use in adverts and the like? on 22:12 - Feb 28 with 1221 viewsDJR

Songs spoilt by use in adverts and the like? on 22:07 - Feb 28 by Rozz

Not quite in the spirit of the OP, but I was quite surprised to stumble upon The Hives at Glastonbury last summer who I instantly recognised from seemingly every car advert ever.

[Post edited 28 Feb 22:08]

I'm more than happy for the thread to be widened.
Songs spoilt by use in adverts and the like? on 23:19 - Feb 28 with 1102 viewsYou_Bloo_Right

Allegedly when the ad was first aired there were more enquiries about the sound track than the car. I'd like to think that's true.

Poll: Are this group of ITFC players the best squad in the division?

Songs spoilt by use in adverts and the like? on 07:33 - Feb 29 with 996 viewsPerublue

I think it was Vodaphone ?

Poll: Rugby World Cup Winner ?

Songs spoilt by use in adverts and the like? on 08:03 - Feb 29 with 959 viewsCentral_Blue

Ruined by the stupid Hey Car ad:

Songs spoilt by use in adverts and the like? on 10:17 - Feb 29 with 884 viewsGlasgowBlue

I think it can also have a positive effect on some songs. A few years ago Heathrow Airport use an obscure 1967 David Bowie song, There Is a Happy Land, in an advert. I hadn't played any of Bowie's mid sixties stuff for years but I dipped back into it and remembered some interesting tunes.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Songs spoilt by use in adverts and the like? on 10:34 - Feb 29 with 863 viewssolemio

Dvorak's New World Symphony on a Hovis advert with that beautiful street in Sherborne, Dorset in the background.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024