Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Big day in the PO Horizon Scandal Enquiry today 13:25 - May 22 with 1321 viewsblueasfook

Vennels herself is giving evidence today. From what I have read on the Beeb, the crocodile tears are flowing freely. She has apparently also admitted to lying to MPs.

I really hope this woman is prosecuted so she can experience what many sub-postmasters went through.

Hunk trapped in a slob's body.
Poll: How do you think season will end for us?

Big day in the PO Horizon Scandal Enquiry today on 20:02 - May 22 with 1220 viewsRetiredBlue

Jason Beer KC, lead counsel to the inquiry, had skewered Vennells within 20 minutes of starting her testimony, and continued to do so for the rest of the day.

Due to the weather I've spent most of the day watching the proceedings ( and have watched some of the previous participants ) and yet again we have a person who was Network Director, MD, then CEO who is trying to make out that they were unable to understand the reports going across their desk, failed to question what they didn't understand, and claiming they were too trusting of the people who worked for them as they were feeding her "misinformation".

I join with you in your hopes.

Danny Hegan is still one of my favourite Ipswich players.

Big day in the PO Horizon Scandal Enquiry today on 20:43 - May 22 with 1176 viewsSharkey

Big day in the PO Horizon Scandal Enquiry today on 20:02 - May 22 by RetiredBlue

Jason Beer KC, lead counsel to the inquiry, had skewered Vennells within 20 minutes of starting her testimony, and continued to do so for the rest of the day.

Due to the weather I've spent most of the day watching the proceedings ( and have watched some of the previous participants ) and yet again we have a person who was Network Director, MD, then CEO who is trying to make out that they were unable to understand the reports going across their desk, failed to question what they didn't understand, and claiming they were too trusting of the people who worked for them as they were feeding her "misinformation".

I have spent a long time watching today. Quite fun to watch Mr Beer at work.

One thing I don't really understand, and that is the thing with 'remote access' to Horizon

Is the implication that some people at Fujitsu were going into accounts to direct money their own way, or is it only a matter of saying to Vennels 'you lied when you said nobody could get into the sub-postmasters' accounts and it's not really of any importance what the Fujitsu people were doing poking around in these accounts.'? (Or even a third option, Fujitsu were going into the accounts and then directing money back to the Post Office - which seems unlikely to me,)
Big day in the PO Horizon Scandal Enquiry today on 21:32 - May 22 with 1118 viewsblueasfook

Big day in the PO Horizon Scandal Enquiry today on 20:43 - May 22 by Sharkey

One thing I don't really understand, and that is the thing with 'remote access' to Horizon

Is the implication that some people at Fujitsu were going into accounts to direct money their own way, or is it only a matter of saying to Vennels 'you lied when you said nobody could get into the sub-postmasters' accounts and it's not really of any importance what the Fujitsu people were doing poking around in these accounts.'? (Or even a third option, Fujitsu were going into the accounts and then directing money back to the Post Office - which seems unlikely to me,)

I think Fujitsu staff were going in to fix bugs. This is important because for years the PO denied this was possible. Had it been known it would have undermined the criminal prosecutions.

Hunk trapped in a slob's body.
Poll: How do you think season will end for us?

Big day in the PO Horizon Scandal Enquiry today on 22:59 - May 22 with 1009 viewsFacefacts

They needed IT literate lawyers to do the Horizon inquiry, it's very frustrating to watch.
Big day in the PO Horizon Scandal Enquiry today on 09:23 - May 23 with 904 viewssoupytwist

Big day in the PO Horizon Scandal Enquiry today on 20:02 - May 22 by RetiredBlue

She did all that while pocketing an annual salary of (according to Marina Hyde in The Guardian) £700,000.

How much would someone actually competent have been worth paying?

In future, whenever a CEO of a large company tries to tell shareholders, or the general public, that they're actually worth more than their already enormous salary perhaps someone should point to Vennells and ask what their answers would be if they were in front of a similar enquiry. If their response amounts to 'Say that I didn't really understand what was going on, and failed to find out more" then we can tell them to get in the sea and take their well paid finance director with them.
Big day in the PO Horizon Scandal Enquiry today on 21:45 - May 23 with 786 viewsipswichultra

Big day in the PO Horizon Scandal Enquiry today on 20:43 - May 22 by Sharkey

Watched yesterday as well, was enjoyable.

From what I understand, sub postmasters were noticing bugs in the lot computer system where the financial figures weren’t adding up. So they would call the ‘Horizon Helpline’, and the Fujitsu/Horizon workers would remotely log in and balance the numbers on the screen and everything would seem ok.

Then at a later date, the changes the ‘Helpline’ worker made were picked up as unexplained financial losses and the sub postmasters were blamed.
Big day in the PO Horizon Scandal Enquiry today on 22:04 - May 23 with 750 viewsTrequartista

I'm not really sure they're getting anywhere. All I see is answers like "can't remember" or "that would have been the responsibility of so-and-so". The barrister is good but he's not really nailed anyone like Columbo or Murder She Wrote.

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

Big day in the PO Horizon Scandal Enquiry today on 07:28 - May 24 with 603 viewsFacefacts

The 'I swear by ' stuff to say they'll tell the truth is a farce too.

Possibly the inquiry is 15 years too late?
Login to get fewer ads

Big day in the PO Horizon Scandal Enquiry today on 08:01 - May 24 with 563 viewsOldFart71

What get's me about the whole thing is you have a boss of a Company that is claiming she's doesn't know anything about what is/has been going on. My question then is "Why has she ever been the boss ?) It truly amazes me that if a person is in charge of a Company that they are totally oblivious to what is going on below them. I used to work in a local paint factory, whenever bosses were due a visit the maintenance team were called into action, painting and cleaning everything on the pathway where these bosses would be ushered. Again surely these people weren't naive enough to believe that the factory would be pristine all the time. Or don't these people care as long as they maintain their status. If this Post Office boss is lying then she should be ashamed of herself being a person of God. Nobody is saying you have to be whiter than white. We all are guilty of having done things we should have. But she should be setting an example in both her activities.
Big day in the PO Horizon Scandal Enquiry today on 08:09 - May 24 with 548 viewsbluelagos

She'll get a hard time today, the lawyers questioning her represent the subpostmasters rather than the inquiry.

On Wednesday the email she sent after learning that Martin Griffiths had committed suicide was highlighted. Marina Hyde highlights it here.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/article/2024/may/22/rev-paula-vennells

'Vennells was on the Post Office internal email, pointing out there were “usually several contributory factors” with suicide, and that “accusations of blame were unhelpful”. Within days she was asking for “background” on Mr Griffiths and any previous mental health or potential family issues – presumably any and all speculative causes other than “hounded to death by the Post Office”.'

The woman is vile and her actions were to victim blame rather than take responsibility,

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Big day in the PO Horizon Scandal Enquiry today on 08:26 - May 24 with 523 viewsElephantintheRoom

Don’t get your hopes up. The enquiry is not there to apportion blame, nor will it result in any prosecutions.

Its aims of all public enquiries are to use up several years to allow time to pass, enrich the legal ‘profession’ and establish the facts ‘so lessons can be learned’.

I’m still waiting to hear any questions on why it was not considered a tad unusual to prosecute so many sub postmasters for having their fingers in the till. Clearly this culture predates Horizon, though probably not in such numbers . And the reason why perhaps doesn’t fit the current narrative

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024