Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The myth of "no loyalty" 20:27 - May 22 with 1108 viewsBenLaine

If McKenna leaves, there will be lots of tut tutting and cries of "no loyalty in football any more". However, this only ever happens when a club has been successful and therefore the manager is in demand. The fans have generally not had to show any loyalty because again, it has been a period of success. If McKenna had looked like taking the club down into L2 instead of starting the current climb, would anyone have insisted on being loyal to him?

Ultimately, fans prioritize their club (rightly), so they have no loyalty to a manager who may damage the club. Managers know this, so they strike while the iron is hot in their careers, as there may be no tomorrow for them if things go badly.

A great recent example of this is Oxford and Liam Manning. The following sequence happened:

1. Karl Robinson is doing well - fan loyalty.
2. Robinson stops doing well - fans say "get rid" despite his long tenure.
3. Liam Manning is doing well at MK.
4. MK lose all their loanees and start battling relegation. Manning is fired.
5. Oxford hire Manning and start off well - fan loyalty.
6. Manning gets great Champo offer - remembers the fickle nature of the sport - leaves.
7. Fans bleat about no loyalty.
8. Oxford hire Des Buckingham.
9. Buckingham starts badly - fans say "get rid".
10. Oxford stick with Des anyway and get promoted - fans crow about how great he is.

Football is just a fickle, fickle beast, and fans cannot chide managers for no loyalty when they will want a manager gone as soon as they hit an indifferent patch.

I hope McKenna stays, but if he goes it is the reality of the sport (unfortunately), not some heinous betrayal.
The myth of "no loyalty" on 20:35 - May 22 with 1024 viewsKropotkin123

If McKenna had looked like taking the club down into L2 instead of starting the current climb, would anyone have insisted on being loyal to him?

No, because he had the resources to achieve promotion. So relegation to L2 would have consigned him to the worst manager in our history.

If he gets relegated from the Premiership, we should definately be loyal. Bed-wetters will bed-wet though. I'd hope the MA would see through the noise of the minority.

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

The myth of "no loyalty" on 20:43 - May 22 with 964 viewsFrimleyBlue

The myth of "no loyalty" on 20:35 - May 22 by Kropotkin123

If McKenna had looked like taking the club down into L2 instead of starting the current climb, would anyone have insisted on being loyal to him?

No, because he had the resources to achieve promotion. So relegation to L2 would have consigned him to the worst manager in our history.

If he gets relegated from the Premiership, we should definately be loyal. Bed-wetters will bed-wet though. I'd hope the MA would see through the noise of the minority.

Tbh this is why I'm suprised he's maybe going.

He's yet to manage in the prem.

Stay with town. Get relegated. No ones shocked. He can go again

Go to a prem side. Fail. He could drop off into no man's land or at least put himself back a few years.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

The myth of "no loyalty" on 21:15 - May 22 with 814 viewsMK1

The myth of "no loyalty" on 20:43 - May 22 by FrimleyBlue

Tbh this is why I'm suprised he's maybe going.

He's yet to manage in the prem.

Stay with town. Get relegated. No ones shocked. He can go again

Go to a prem side. Fail. He could drop off into no man's land or at least put himself back a few years.

He isn't going to doubt his ability to succeed though.
The myth of "no loyalty" on 21:19 - May 22 with 775 views_clive_baker_

Yes and it works both ways. A club / ownership group / CEO sacked Cook after 9 months in charge. It was the right call, but it’s hard to question loyalty of managers when it works the other way on the regular. Put simply that’s the industry.

For me the priority is resolving the situation quickly as the one thing we can’t carry into pre season is uncertainty. It’ll hamper recruitment, retention, and just about every other aspect of preparing for the season ahead.
The myth of "no loyalty" on 21:27 - May 22 with 723 viewsjayessess

The myth of "no loyalty" on 21:19 - May 22 by _clive_baker_

Yes and it works both ways. A club / ownership group / CEO sacked Cook after 9 months in charge. It was the right call, but it’s hard to question loyalty of managers when it works the other way on the regular. Put simply that’s the industry.

For me the priority is resolving the situation quickly as the one thing we can’t carry into pre season is uncertainty. It’ll hamper recruitment, retention, and just about every other aspect of preparing for the season ahead.

More than a month until pre-season starts, will all be well settled either way by then.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

The myth of "no loyalty" on 21:29 - May 22 with 701 viewsFrimleyBlue

The myth of "no loyalty" on 21:15 - May 22 by MK1

He isn't going to doubt his ability to succeed though.

Then no need to leave.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

The myth of "no loyalty" on 22:58 - May 22 with 517 viewsBenLaine

The myth of "no loyalty" on 21:19 - May 22 by _clive_baker_

Spot on!

It is always painful to be a stepping stone club (which almost every club is outside of the big dogs), especially when you are cut off at the knees after success, but there is more than one principle covering the situation. For McKenna, this might be the best chance he ever gets to step up - for all he knows, he is yesterday's news a year from now.

I just hope McKenna is looked upon fondly even if he leaves, with some understanding of the dynamics. Bear in mind too, there is every chance Ipswich raid a lower club for THEIR successful manager to replace him.
The myth of "no loyalty" on 23:01 - May 22 with 482 viewspointofblue

The myth of "no loyalty" on 20:35 - May 22 by Kropotkin123

I do remember there was a bit of heat after the draw at Bristol Rovers. If we hadn’t gone on that run then perhaps the fans may have turned on him. Then the loyalty question would be very different.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024