Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Any (safe) suggestions for freeing a car wheel stuck to the hub? 18:03 - May 23 with 724 viewsNthQldITFC

Have tried a rubber mallet - no luck yet (have bigger rubber mallet!)

Don't fancy the drive slowly down road with slightly loose wheel bolts method as the tyre is totally flat.

Heat?
Lube (no-no I think)?

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Any (safe) suggestions for freeing a car wheel stuck to the hub? on 18:05 - May 23 with 708 viewsLegendofthePhoenix

WD40?

Poll: would you rather

Any (safe) suggestions for freeing a car wheel stuck to the hub? on 18:07 - May 23 with 689 viewsNthQldITFC

Any (safe) suggestions for freeing a car wheel stuck to the hub? on 18:05 - May 23 by LegendofthePhoenix

WD40?

I'm not sure that's a good idea around the wheel bolts.

(The bolts are off - well loosely back on at the moment, btw)

Any (safe) suggestions for freeing a car wheel stuck to the hub? on 18:08 - May 23 with 673 viewseireblue

If the car is on a jack, slowly lower the car, and the wheel may shift a bit.

I discovered this method, by accidentally lower the jack, at the wrong point in changing a flat, it definitely works.
Any (safe) suggestions for freeing a car wheel stuck to the hub? on 18:13 - May 23 with 655 viewsEdwardStone

Alloy wheels and steel hubs are a match made in Hell

They usually give up with a bit of MMA styleee kicks and punches

There are quite some number of suggestions on YouTube if still stuck

Any (safe) suggestions for freeing a car wheel stuck to the hub? on 18:20 - May 23 with 622 viewsMK1

Any (safe) suggestions for freeing a car wheel stuck to the hub? on 18:08 - May 23 by eireblue

If the car is on a jack, slowly lower the car, and the wheel may shift a bit.

I discovered this method, by accidentally lower the jack, at the wrong point in changing a flat, it definitely works.

Yes. Lower the jack slowly. The wheels will rock slightly and hey presto. Works 99% of the time. If not, then do all the nuts up again as tightly as you dare, then take off completely. Make sure the car is on a flat surface, release hand brake and slowly lower again. That should do it.
Any (safe) suggestions for freeing a car wheel stuck to the hub? on 18:30 - May 23 with 590 viewsNthQldITFC

Got it freed up now with a mallet and lowering it gently with slightly loose bolts, but there's a bit of rust on the hub which is stopping the wheel from sliding off easily.

I don't have an axle stand, so I'm working with a scissor jack and some lumps of wood as a backstop (a bit 'bush', I know) - so I'm a bit wary of putting too much force on it to get it over the rusty spot. There seem to be slight flats at points where the bolts go through and that's where it's sticking. Am tempted to put a tiny bit of localised WD40 into the gap between hub and wheel from the outside.

What fun!

Any (safe) suggestions for freeing a car wheel stuck to the hub? on 19:11 - May 23 with 512 viewsNthQldITFC

Job done, thanks all, still alive, nothing flat!

Must invest in an axle stand, then I won't be crapping myself about the scissor jack giving up. Only a little car, but enough to dampen one's ardour if one drops it.

Any (safe) suggestions for freeing a car wheel stuck to the hub? on 20:17 - May 23 with 464 viewsitfcserbia

Glad you made it and safely! Must say this has been the best thread I read on here the last few days. Completely took my mind of things. Cheers

Semper fidelis!
Poll: Would you sack Paul Cook?

Login to get fewer ads

Any (safe) suggestions for freeing a car wheel stuck to the hub? on 20:30 - May 23 with 433 viewsSwansea_Blue

Any (safe) suggestions for freeing a car wheel stuck to the hub? on 19:11 - May 23 by NthQldITFC

Job done, thanks all, still alive, nothing flat!

Must invest in an axle stand, then I won't be crapping myself about the scissor jack giving up. Only a little car, but enough to dampen one's ardour if one drops it.

Have you tried slathering it in salad cream? If that doesn’t work, hit it with a sardine.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Any (safe) suggestions for freeing a car wheel stuck to the hub? on 20:44 - May 23 with 406 viewsEdwardStone

Any (safe) suggestions for freeing a car wheel stuck to the hub? on 20:30 - May 23 by Swansea_Blue

Have you tried slathering it in salad cream? If that doesn’t work, hit it with a sardine.

And slices of Battenburg to chock the wheels?

Or possibly thin slices of Battenburg as replacement disc pads
Any (safe) suggestions for freeing a car wheel stuck to the hub? on 20:49 - May 23 with 394 viewsSwansea_Blue

Any (safe) suggestions for freeing a car wheel stuck to the hub? on 20:44 - May 23 by EdwardStone

And slices of Battenburg to chock the wheels?

Or possibly thin slices of Battenburg as replacement disc pads

And a good scrub with a wedge of Jarlsberg to take the rust off. Job done.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024