Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Mangelwurzel. 06:49 - Sep 26 with 739 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

A competition took place in Somerset last week with various categories for this unusual root vegetable. A quirky event by all accounts, a little bit of British eccentricity if you like.
I seem to remember the name, possibly from a bloody Wurzels tune eons ago…..but my question to you all is, has anyone reading this actually ever seen one in the veg aisle, grown them or eaten it before?

I’m intrigued 😁



We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

0
Mangelwurzel. on 07:21 - Sep 26 with 681 viewsDubtractor

I think the mangelwurzel marketing board spent some money this year, as they were featured heavily in every seed catalogue that came through my door this year.

Being an impressionable type, I obviously bought some!

Mine haven't grown super large, due to the stupid dry summer, but they have still got to the size of a good sized parsnip.

And for the eating they are decent, quite sweet, and roast well as a parsnip equivalent. Not anything like as earthy tasting as a beetroot.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: Are we gonna win tomorrow then?

2
Mangelwurzel. on 07:54 - Sep 26 with 627 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

Mangelwurzel. on 07:21 - Sep 26 by Dubtractor

I think the mangelwurzel marketing board spent some money this year, as they were featured heavily in every seed catalogue that came through my door this year.

Being an impressionable type, I obviously bought some!

Mine haven't grown super large, due to the stupid dry summer, but they have still got to the size of a good sized parsnip.

And for the eating they are decent, quite sweet, and roast well as a parsnip equivalent. Not anything like as earthy tasting as a beetroot.


Cheers Dubbers. Love a roasted root vegetable in the winter months. Sounds promising.
I’ll try to persuade a few of my clients with kitchen gardens to grow some next season as I often enjoy some freebies from them later in the summer 😁

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

1
Mangelwurzel. (n/t) on 07:54 - Sep 26 with 621 viewsdocklandsblue

0
Mangelwurzel. on 07:54 - Sep 26 with 622 viewsdocklandsblue

If you are a comedy fan you might be thinking of the Hancocks Half Hour episode that pastiches The Archers called The Bowman’s where Hancock sings a very memorable song about them

[Post edited 26 Sep 7:56]
2
Mangelwurzel. on 07:58 - Sep 26 with 597 viewsBenters

They look like something from Harry Potter.

Gentlybentley
Poll: Which is best Cycling or Running,i will go for cycling as you are sitting down

1
Mangelwurzel. on 08:06 - Sep 26 with 569 viewsPMac13

I just remember that Wurzel Gummage famously has one for a head….

Showing my age now!
1
Mangelwurzel. on 10:13 - Sep 26 with 451 viewsfarkenhell

Mangelwurzel. on 08:06 - Sep 26 by PMac13

I just remember that Wurzel Gummage famously has one for a head….

Showing my age now!


Coopa tea anna slayce a ceyke 'll be very nayce indeeeed fer ol wurzel!
0
Mangelwurzel. on 11:19 - Sep 26 with 421 viewsGuthrum

They were originally developed as an overwinter feed for cattle. So not really likely to appear much in the human diet (except, perhaps, among the very poorest farm labourers).

I'm told they're not particularly nice to eat.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

0
Login to get fewer ads

Mangelwurzel. on 19:10 - Sep 26 with 312 viewsarmchaircritic59

Yes, tried it many years ago when I must have been around 11/12, about 60 years ago. Can't remember much about it, save it couldn't have been disgusting, otherwise that I would have remembered!
0
Mangelwurzel. on 20:23 - Sep 26 with 276 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Just Googled them and they remind me of mandrakes from Harry Potter. Do they scream when pulled up?

Poll: Who is the greatest threat to the UK right now?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

0
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Online Safety Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2026