Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
TWTD travel advice. any Italy travellers out there? 10:13 - Apr 10 with 1711 viewsLord_Lucan

Italy remains largely off the Lucan travel map, have to say the place doesn't really jump out at me but a couple of friends say it is very nice. Yes, I realise my mind has condemned a large country to the bin without much research or thought.

Anyhoo, looks like I might have to see a supplier in a small town called Pontedera which isn't far from Pisa and I thought I might make the trip a little longer and have a couple of days somewhere nice and relatively close.

Pontedera is a small town with nothing going on and I don't like Pisa, it's a sh1t hole. I have had a look at the map and there are a few small coastal towns not far from Pisa, any recommendations?

Viareggio looks nice as it has a beach. All I want to do is lay in the sun and eat fish.
[Post edited 10 Apr 2017 10:13]

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

TWTD travel advice. any Italy travellers out there? on 10:14 - Apr 10 with 1692 viewschicoazul

Naples.

EDIT haha whoops sorry, not exactly near Tuscany though. But I want to hear some Lucan in Naples travel stories.
[Post edited 10 Apr 2017 10:16]

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

TWTD travel advice. any Italy travellers out there? on 10:23 - Apr 10 with 1662 viewsRoyKeanesDog

Forte dei Marmi springs to mind, but would likely be an expensive trip.

Poll: Best Football Song

TWTD travel advice. any Italy travellers out there? on 20:59 - Apr 10 with 1572 viewsWeWereZombies

In the evening when most of the tourists are gone Pisa is fine, excellent restaurants and interesting paseo (or whatever the Italian for paseo) from locals and remaining tourists. Lucca is not coastal but is an easy train ride from Pisa. Classic crumbling Italian city centre, great restaurants and a fairly easy city wall to amble around. If you are set on coastal idylls I would head north to Porto Venere and the Cinque Terra beyond, train to Genoa and change onto a little train - great restaurants etc.

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

TWTD travel advice. any Italy travellers out there? on 21:06 - Apr 10 with 1553 viewsfooters

I have a friend of friend, etc. who has a house with a pool about an hour away from Pisa on the coast- just outside San Vincenzo. It's up for rent on AirBnB and could enquire about its availability. Have stayed there myself and it's stunning, perfect for fishing. Give me a PM if you want me to find out.

Dear old footers KC - Private Counsel to Big Farmer - Liberator of Vichy TWTD
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

TWTD travel advice. any Italy travellers out there? on 21:13 - Apr 10 with 1535 viewsBluedanW

TWTD travel advice. any Italy travellers out there? on 21:06 - Apr 10 by footers

I have a friend of friend, etc. who has a house with a pool about an hour away from Pisa on the coast- just outside San Vincenzo. It's up for rent on AirBnB and could enquire about its availability. Have stayed there myself and it's stunning, perfect for fishing. Give me a PM if you want me to find out.

I have only been to Italy once and that was to watch Ipswich in Milan back in 2001.
One day and night in Milan one day and night in Genoa.
In all my holidays and trips around the world they were by far the rudest people I have ever met.
I must admit Russians can be quite rude on holiday, however when we went to Moscow the same year 2001 we stayed for 4 days and the people were great
[Post edited 10 Apr 2017 21:14]
TWTD travel advice. any Italy travellers out there? on 21:15 - Apr 10 with 1522 viewsParmigiano

Totally agree on Pisa, it's a complete dive and makes Ipswich look like Rome.

If you genuinely just want beach, sun and fish, Viareggio is exactly that but it's not very quintessential Italy.

If you want to see a stunning town, go visit Lucca for a day. And of course there is Siena, one of the most beautiful cities in the world nearby, and Florence down the road too which isn't too shabby either.
TWTD travel advice. any Italy travellers out there? on 21:28 - Apr 10 with 1493 viewsMullet

TWTD travel advice. any Italy travellers out there? on 21:15 - Apr 10 by Parmigiano

If you genuinely just want beach, sun and fish, Viareggio is exactly that but it's not very quintessential Italy.

If you want to see a stunning town, go visit Lucca for a day. And of course there is Siena, one of the most beautiful cities in the world nearby, and Florence down the road too which isn't too shabby either.

I hated Pisa and thought Lucca was lovely. Siena was fascinating but I found Florence amazing even though I generally struggle with lots of tourists. I could quite happily base myself in Florence for a week let alone the surrounding area.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

TWTD travel advice. any Italy travellers out there? on 21:50 - Apr 10 with 1469 viewsLord_Lucan

TWTD travel advice. any Italy travellers out there? on 21:15 - Apr 10 by Parmigiano

TBH I could really do with just chilling in the sun. I do quite like visiting little towns but a sightseer I am not. When I first went to Beijing I asked my buying agent to drive past Tienanmen Square on the way to the hotel just so I could say I had seen it, it was night time as well. I spent the rest of the evening walking round food markets and getting lost on purpose. Basically I would rather sit in a bar for the afternoon talking to natives than looking at a temple.

Anyhoo, thanks for the tips, I will save them.

Thinking about it I reckon The Leaning Tower of Pisa was the only sightseeing I have done for as long as I can remember and it was only because my hotel was nearby. What a shower of sh1te Pisa was though. Luckily I found a fantastic bar on the river and spent my two days in there reading a book.

My less than extensive travel diaries in Italy consists of Milan, Pontedera and Pisa, none of which did anything for me, although I quite enjoyed the bar at Pontedera train station. The thing that puts me off about Italy though is that they don't seem to have an abundance of bars, everywhere is a pizzeria.

I'm not keen on pizza either!

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.

Login to get fewer ads

TWTD travel advice. any Italy travellers out there? on 22:01 - Apr 10 with 1443 viewsAdmiralFunge

TWTD travel advice. any Italy travellers out there? on 21:28 - Apr 10 by Mullet

I hated Pisa and thought Lucca was lovely. Siena was fascinating but I found Florence amazing even though I generally struggle with lots of tourists. I could quite happily base myself in Florence for a week let alone the surrounding area.

Florence is the most beautiful place I've ever been.

Poll: Danny Karbassiyoon, or Kim Karbasheran?

TWTD travel advice. any Italy travellers out there? on 22:07 - Apr 10 with 1423 viewsMullet

TWTD travel advice. any Italy travellers out there? on 22:01 - Apr 10 by AdmiralFunge

Florence is the most beautiful place I've ever been.

I really liked the food too, not many places where you got such consistently decent grub despite the budget changing. They also know their red wine out there which helps. As for Lucan's bar issue, I found they had them in certain squares and just a bit of wandering you had an evening sat outside drinking. They also did this odd thing of making you pay a set fee for certain hours and you can't a classy Nan's buffet and some orange stuff to sup for a bit then it's normal service again.

My only regret was I went height of summer so couldn't see a game take place. I love wasting an evening at some foreign ground I'm never going back to.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

TWTD travel advice. any Italy travellers out there? on 22:47 - Apr 10 with 1374 viewsParmigiano

TWTD travel advice. any Italy travellers out there? on 22:07 - Apr 10 by Mullet

I really liked the food too, not many places where you got such consistently decent grub despite the budget changing. They also know their red wine out there which helps. As for Lucan's bar issue, I found they had them in certain squares and just a bit of wandering you had an evening sat outside drinking. They also did this odd thing of making you pay a set fee for certain hours and you can't a classy Nan's buffet and some orange stuff to sup for a bit then it's normal service again.

My only regret was I went height of summer so couldn't see a game take place. I love wasting an evening at some foreign ground I'm never going back to.

It's called aperitivo... usually 7-9 and you get free buffet food as long as you keep buying drinks. As it's Italy it's usually quality food too.
TWTD travel advice. any Italy travellers out there? on 22:58 - Apr 10 with 1361 viewsParmigiano

TWTD travel advice. any Italy travellers out there? on 21:50 - Apr 10 by Lord_Lucan

TBH I could really do with just chilling in the sun. I do quite like visiting little towns but a sightseer I am not. When I first went to Beijing I asked my buying agent to drive past Tienanmen Square on the way to the hotel just so I could say I had seen it, it was night time as well. I spent the rest of the evening walking round food markets and getting lost on purpose. Basically I would rather sit in a bar for the afternoon talking to natives than looking at a temple.

Anyhoo, thanks for the tips, I will save them.

Thinking about it I reckon The Leaning Tower of Pisa was the only sightseeing I have done for as long as I can remember and it was only because my hotel was nearby. What a shower of sh1te Pisa was though. Luckily I found a fantastic bar on the river and spent my two days in there reading a book.

My less than extensive travel diaries in Italy consists of Milan, Pontedera and Pisa, none of which did anything for me, although I quite enjoyed the bar at Pontedera train station. The thing that puts me off about Italy though is that they don't seem to have an abundance of bars, everywhere is a pizzeria.

I'm not keen on pizza either!

Well I'm not surprised you have a poor opinion of Italy if your experience consists of Pisa and Milan; two of the most boring places in Italy.

Along with Siena, Florence and Lucca there's also Verona, Rome, Bologna... all extremely nice with endless squares with bars around them.

Avoid Naples at all costs. It's disgusting.

And you don't like pizza!? You should probably see a doctor about that. I'm gonna hope you mean crappy American style pizza and not genuine Italian pizza...
TWTD travel advice. any Italy travellers out there? on 23:28 - Apr 10 with 1336 viewsLord_Lucan

TWTD travel advice. any Italy travellers out there? on 22:58 - Apr 10 by Parmigiano

Well I'm not surprised you have a poor opinion of Italy if your experience consists of Pisa and Milan; two of the most boring places in Italy.

Along with Siena, Florence and Lucca there's also Verona, Rome, Bologna... all extremely nice with endless squares with bars around them.

And you don't like pizza!? You should probably see a doctor about that. I'm gonna hope you mean crappy American style pizza and not genuine Italian pizza...

To be fair I don't mind proper pizza. The best pizza I ever had was in a service station just outside of Milan.

My mates Mrs is Turkish and she is furious that The Italians nicked Pizza from The Turks.

TWTD travel advice. any Italy travellers out there? on 23:32 - Apr 10 with 1331 viewsWeWereZombies

TWTD travel advice. any Italy travellers out there? on 22:58 - Apr 10 by Parmigiano

Italy is very divisive - I am fine with Pisa and Milan but Rome I abhor with the exception of that restaurant Fellini used to eat at, does not make visiting the city of the world's worst drivers worthwhile though. Naples is hell but you know that before you go there and when you get there it is not quite as hellish as it is made out to be.

Other favourites of mine are Arezzo and Assisi (but I guess Lucan would be disappointed with the moderate distribution of drinking holes in the latter and would not be persuaded to visit by the Giotto frescos) Agree on Verona and Lucca, Florence is breathtaking and consequently you put up with the tourist numbers, Venice I find less tolerable. Yet to visit Sienna and Bologna. A lot further south I liked Palermo but hated Catania. And much further north I liked Turin a lot.

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

TWTD travel advice. any Italy travellers out there? on 07:02 - Apr 11 with 1278 viewsParmigiano

TWTD travel advice. any Italy travellers out there? on 23:28 - Apr 10 by Lord_Lucan

To be fair I don't mind proper pizza. The best pizza I ever had was in a service station just outside of Milan.

My mates Mrs is Turkish and she is furious that The Italians nicked Pizza from The Turks.

The greeks say the same!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024