Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What is going on in this country? 10:40 - Apr 12 with 4749 viewsfeelingblue

This is a disgrace, and it just the latest of a number of such stories.
Maybe I am romanticising the past, but I am sure that we used to be a country which had some compassion for the less fortunate members of our society.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-39575293
What is going on in this country? on 10:46 - Apr 12 with 2946 viewsSteve_M

Well, quite.

Relentless demonisation of anyone claiming benefits (other than pensions of course) and a desperate, politically charged desire to cut state spending regardless of the real cost.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

What is going on in this country? on 10:46 - Apr 12 with 2939 viewsfooters

"There is no such thing as society." Apparently.

Dear old footers KC - Private Counsel to Big Farmer - Liberator of Vichy TWTD
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

What is going on in this country? on 10:49 - Apr 12 with 2926 viewstaximan

and yet i know someone who has fck all wrong with her and gets full disability benefit, new car, everything

the current system clearly does not work
What is going on in this country? on 12:46 - Apr 12 with 2794 viewsuefacup81

I can see both sides of the argument. When you see £100k sports cars parked up with blue badges in them you wonder how comfortable they must be for someone who can hardly walk...

The relaxation of the requirement for walking unaided from 50m to 20m suggests there's a drive to get the vehicles to those who legitimately need them (as well as the fact that the number of motability cars has increased since 2010). But I would imagine that a fair number of those who have lost such cars have lost them for good reason.

My grandmother recently went into a home, and my grandad handed her motability car back in as soon as he could. I imagine it wouldn't have been too hard for him to keep hold of it if he'd been that way inclined...

Poll: Predictions for tonight?

What is going on in this country? on 12:54 - Apr 12 with 2749 viewsRyorry

What is going on in this country? on 10:49 - Apr 12 by taximan

and yet i know someone who has fck all wrong with her and gets full disability benefit, new car, everything

Hidden disabilities? (heart, cancer, etc)

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

What is going on in this country? on 13:08 - Apr 12 with 2710 viewsNo9

And still we don't complain anywhere near enough about the £ billions that are handed out in corporate welfare
What is going on in this country? on 13:14 - Apr 12 with 2691 viewsreusersfreekicks

I thought you might
What is going on in this country? on 13:17 - Apr 12 with 2679 viewsArcher4721

It's almost as if these things were never reported before isn't it.

It's cleansing of the poor and disabled by those lovable Tories...it's been happening since 2010.
Login to get fewer ads

What is going on in this country? on 13:29 - Apr 12 with 2624 viewsJohnhoz

Social care costs money. People don't vote for higher taxes. The tories believe that if you take money off of people it will motivate them to go to work.

I reckon we should sack the manager every time we lose a game
Poll: Right now, why do you go to games

What is going on in this country? on 13:29 - Apr 12 with 2617 viewsjeera

What is going on in this country? on 13:17 - Apr 12 by Archer4721

It's almost as if these things were never reported before isn't it.

It's cleansing of the poor and disabled by those lovable Tories...it's been happening since 2010.

It is a cull. You're absolutely right.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

What is going on in this country? on 13:32 - Apr 12 with 2595 viewsjeera

You know this person very well?

There's nothing worse than people not in the know making judgement calls, especially when it's none of their business.

This lady wouldn't be qualifying for this stuff if there was "fck all wrong with her" and I'd guess you haven't been present at her appraisals, which are pretty stringent.

Unless you know something more specific of course.

What is going on in this country? on 13:34 - Apr 12 with 2582 viewstaximan

What is going on in this country? on 12:54 - Apr 12 by Ryorry

Hidden disabilities? (heart, cancer, etc)

no

minor back issue

resolved years ago

still playing on it

walks with a crutch when out in public

walks unaided otherwise
What is going on in this country? on 13:37 - Apr 12 with 2557 viewstaximan

What is going on in this country? on 13:14 - Apr 12 by reusersfreekicks

I thought you might

what do you mean by this ?
What is going on in this country? on 13:37 - Apr 12 with 2560 viewsjeera

What is going on in this country? on 12:46 - Apr 12 by uefacup81

I can see both sides of the argument. When you see £100k sports cars parked up with blue badges in them you wonder how comfortable they must be for someone who can hardly walk...

The relaxation of the requirement for walking unaided from 50m to 20m suggests there's a drive to get the vehicles to those who legitimately need them (as well as the fact that the number of motability cars has increased since 2010). But I would imagine that a fair number of those who have lost such cars have lost them for good reason.

My grandmother recently went into a home, and my grandad handed her motability car back in as soon as he could. I imagine it wouldn't have been too hard for him to keep hold of it if he'd been that way inclined...

There is no " both sides of the argument".

Either you need the help or you don't.

The introduction of new measures is to save money. Do you think that ATOS were hounded out of their ESA contract for no reason, for example? No, of course not. They were employed to enforce new measures introduced purely to save funding.

50 metres isn't far and is you struggle to walk that then there are issues and transport is required.

Your point about the expensive vehicles is due to PIP not being means tested, which in my view is wrong and is part of the reason money doesn't reach where it should. Because it still gets handed out to those who don't need it.

Free taxis for people in large houses with Mercedes sitting on their driveways makes no sense when you have Doris down the road who can barely cope from day to day.

It's the unfair distribution of this funding that's the problem.

What is going on in this country? on 13:42 - Apr 12 with 2533 viewsjeera

What is going on in this country? on 13:32 - Apr 12 by jeera

You know this person very well?

There's nothing worse than people not in the know making judgement calls, especially when it's none of their business.

This lady wouldn't be qualifying for this stuff if there was "fck all wrong with her" and I'd guess you haven't been present at her appraisals, which are pretty stringent.

Unless you know something more specific of course.

For clarity, and for fairness, I have to say I have known of one or two people myself and have wondered why they seem to be given so much.

I've worked 30 years straight and felt completely abandoned by the system when I had health issues and suddenly couldn't work, yet looked about and saw others who'd never done a single day with tidy homes and a solid state income.

It can make you bitter to be fair.
[Post edited 12 Apr 2017 13:44]

What is going on in this country? on 13:48 - Apr 12 with 2501 viewstaximan

What is going on in this country? on 13:42 - Apr 12 by jeera

For clarity, and for fairness, I have to say I have known of one or two people myself and have wondered why they seem to be given so much.

I've worked 30 years straight and felt completely abandoned by the system when I had health issues and suddenly couldn't work, yet looked about and saw others who'd never done a single day with tidy homes and a solid state income.

It can make you bitter to be fair.
[Post edited 12 Apr 2017 13:44]

i pity those that cannot be bothered to work

what do they have to look forward to ?

i enjoy working hard to save up for stuff

looking forward to a weekend off, or a weekend away is what gets me up in the morning

to have nothing going forward must be so boring, its certainly not living life imo
What is going on in this country? on 13:51 - Apr 12 with 2498 viewsfeelingblue

What is going on in this country? on 13:29 - Apr 12 by Johnhoz

Social care costs money. People don't vote for higher taxes. The tories believe that if you take money off of people it will motivate them to go to work.

Or we could have a look at why we get such bad value from the taxes we pay?
What is going on in this country? on 13:54 - Apr 12 with 2489 viewsjeera

What is going on in this country? on 13:48 - Apr 12 by taximan

i pity those that cannot be bothered to work

what do they have to look forward to ?

i enjoy working hard to save up for stuff

looking forward to a weekend off, or a weekend away is what gets me up in the morning

to have nothing going forward must be so boring, its certainly not living life imo

I have always worked 6/7 days a week and when I had my own little business, a sense of pride when I achieved something.

Crappy health has left me unable to work for over 3 years and I go out of my mind. I have done, (and am still doing) any online free course I can get my hands on. I want to be able to approach a potential employer one day and tell him/her that I've been busy and not spent my whole time dossing around doing nothing.

Being off work may sound good to some, but with limited income and the health problems themselves means I couldn't enjoy myself if I wanted to.

I constantly worry what others might think when they see me, hence my reaction.

Because they only see me on a ' good' day, for obvious reasons.

Those are the only days I get out!
[Post edited 12 Apr 2017 13:55]

What is going on in this country? on 13:57 - Apr 12 with 2470 viewstaximan

What is going on in this country? on 13:54 - Apr 12 by jeera

I have always worked 6/7 days a week and when I had my own little business, a sense of pride when I achieved something.

Crappy health has left me unable to work for over 3 years and I go out of my mind. I have done, (and am still doing) any online free course I can get my hands on. I want to be able to approach a potential employer one day and tell him/her that I've been busy and not spent my whole time dossing around doing nothing.

Being off work may sound good to some, but with limited income and the health problems themselves means I couldn't enjoy myself if I wanted to.

which is very much the opposite to the person i was making reference to
What is going on in this country? on 13:58 - Apr 12 with 2469 viewsjeera

What is going on in this country? on 13:29 - Apr 12 by Johnhoz

Yes they do believe that.

But what happens when you take income from someone who can't work?

As FB says, it's how the cash is wasted that's the issue, but it's easier to take the fashionable route of blaming those who are too vulnerable to stick up for themselves.

What is going on in this country? on 14:01 - Apr 12 with 2448 viewsjeera

What is going on in this country? on 13:57 - Apr 12 by taximan

which is very much the opposite to the person i was making reference to

Like I say, I get that.

Imagine you knowing yourself the away you do though, and your life changes completely.

Trust me, it's hard. And it does play on your mind what people who don't realise may think.

To be honest, 'back home' if you like, where people have known me for years, I don't feel that way. Because they know the hours I've put in- how hard I like to work.

But I'm living 'away' atm, and the folk here only know this me. I don't like it.

What is going on in this country? on 14:03 - Apr 12 with 2433 viewstaximan

What is going on in this country? on 14:01 - Apr 12 by jeera

Like I say, I get that.

Imagine you knowing yourself the away you do though, and your life changes completely.

Trust me, it's hard. And it does play on your mind what people who don't realise may think.

To be honest, 'back home' if you like, where people have known me for years, I don't feel that way. Because they know the hours I've put in- how hard I like to work.

But I'm living 'away' atm, and the folk here only know this me. I don't like it.

i'm at an age now where i'm very settled with my life

i would hate that to change
What is going on in this country? on 14:07 - Apr 12 with 2424 viewsJohnhoz

What is going on in this country? on 13:54 - Apr 12 by jeera

You are so right, Jeera.

A very good friend of mine suffers with mental health problems and someone recently reported him to the benefits agency because 'There is nothing wrong with him'

He can go for days, sometimes weeks in total isolation and deep depression and when he is feeling up to it or feeling brave enough to venture out he is met with an attitude of 'pull yourself together' or 'there's nothing wrong with you'.

It really annoys me when people say they are depressed, when they are just experiencing the normal lows of life that come and go. We all feel sad at times and that's ok.

I guess it's because I know someone who really does suffer with depression that I get a bit annoyed about it. The guy who investigated my friend was very supportive and he is still receiving his benefits.

What is going on in this country? on 14:09 - Apr 12 with 2416 viewsJohnhoz

What is going on in this country? on 13:51 - Apr 12 by feelingblue

Or we could have a look at why we get such bad value from the taxes we pay?

Yes. Indeed.

What is going on in this country? on 14:49 - Apr 12 with 2362 viewsGlasgowBlue

On first reading this looks pretty shameful. I can understand the need to cut the budget, which all moderate politicians accept is unsustainable, but unless there is conclusive evidence that these people do not reasonably need these vehicles then this should be reversed immediately and means testing of all benefits including bus passes, winter fuel allowance etc should be introduced.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024