Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What is going on in this country? 10:40 - Apr 12 with 4765 viewsfeelingblue

This is a disgrace, and it just the latest of a number of such stories.
Maybe I am romanticising the past, but I am sure that we used to be a country which had some compassion for the less fortunate members of our society.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-39575293
What is going on in this country? on 15:14 - Apr 12 with 1273 viewsClapham_Junction

What is going on in this country? on 13:51 - Apr 12 by feelingblue

Or we could have a look at why we get such bad value from the taxes we pay?

Do we really get bad value though? We have the fourth lowest effective income tax rate in the EU (after Cyprus, Malta and Ireland) according to figures in the work below, yet still get things like the NHS.

http://www.institutmolinari.org/IMG/pdf/tax-burden-eu-2016.pdf
What is going on in this country? on 15:46 - Apr 12 with 1242 viewschicoazul

What is going on in this country? on 10:49 - Apr 12 by taximan

and yet i know someone who has fck all wrong with her and gets full disability benefit, new car, everything

the current system clearly does not work

Your friend being a dishonest rsehole is nothing to do with the system.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

What is going on in this country? on 15:50 - Apr 12 with 1236 viewsfeelingblue

What is going on in this country? on 15:14 - Apr 12 by Clapham_Junction

Do we really get bad value though? We have the fourth lowest effective income tax rate in the EU (after Cyprus, Malta and Ireland) according to figures in the work below, yet still get things like the NHS.

That is only tax on income.

'other additional taxes – such as those on petrol, airline tickets and alcohol – are not considered in this study'

More importantly what value do we get?

A reasonable, but not great health service.
An education system which gives us the worst adult literacy rate in the developed world and the second worst numeracy rate.
Pensions which are being delayed and delayed (effectively dramatically reduced).
University tuition fees, where there were almost none.
Poor infrastructure, arguably getting worse.
The seventh largest national debt to GDP ratio in the EU.
A budget deficit which no politician even pretends can be realistically tackled.
What is going on in this country? on 15:52 - Apr 12 with 1230 viewsRadlett_blue

What is going on in this country? on 14:49 - Apr 12 by GlasgowBlue

On first reading this looks pretty shameful. I can understand the need to cut the budget, which all moderate politicians accept is unsustainable, but unless there is conclusive evidence that these people do not reasonably need these vehicles then this should be reversed immediately and means testing of all benefits including bus passes, winter fuel allowance etc should be introduced.

Means testing sounds good but can trap people on benefits.
I would abolish all the extra benefits such as free TV licenses, bus passes, winter fuel etc & put all the savings into better old age pensions.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

What is going on in this country? on 15:55 - Apr 12 with 1223 viewssparks

What is going on in this country? on 10:46 - Apr 12 by footers

"There is no such thing as society." Apparently.

Many folks reach for that quote without understanding what it actually meant and the context in which it was said.
[Post edited 12 Apr 2017 16:01]

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

What is going on in this country? on 16:03 - Apr 12 with 1200 viewshype313

What is going on in this country? on 14:49 - Apr 12 by GlasgowBlue

On first reading this looks pretty shameful. I can understand the need to cut the budget, which all moderate politicians accept is unsustainable, but unless there is conclusive evidence that these people do not reasonably need these vehicles then this should be reversed immediately and means testing of all benefits including bus passes, winter fuel allowance etc should be introduced.

And pensions.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

What is going on in this country? on 16:15 - Apr 12 with 1185 viewsClapham_Junction

What is going on in this country? on 15:50 - Apr 12 by feelingblue

That is only tax on income.

'other additional taxes – such as those on petrol, airline tickets and alcohol – are not considered in this study'

More importantly what value do we get?

A reasonable, but not great health service.
An education system which gives us the worst adult literacy rate in the developed world and the second worst numeracy rate.
Pensions which are being delayed and delayed (effectively dramatically reduced).
University tuition fees, where there were almost none.
Poor infrastructure, arguably getting worse.
The seventh largest national debt to GDP ratio in the EU.
A budget deficit which no politician even pretends can be realistically tackled.

I think it's a case of getting what we pay for.
What is going on in this country? on 16:24 - Apr 12 with 1167 viewsNo9

What is going on in this country? on 15:14 - Apr 12 by Clapham_Junction

Tax rate numbers can be misleading unless you know all the intricacies of allownces and other factors.
In reality the UK is a very high taxed country because we pay; tax on income at 2 levels , NHI contributions then VAT at 20% on almost everything else.
A lot of other countries have a higher tax rate bu the individual actually pay less in total
Login to get fewer ads

What is going on in this country? on 17:03 - Apr 12 with 1144 viewsClapham_Junction

What is going on in this country? on 16:24 - Apr 12 by No9

Tax rate numbers can be misleading unless you know all the intricacies of allownces and other factors.
In reality the UK is a very high taxed country because we pay; tax on income at 2 levels , NHI contributions then VAT at 20% on almost everything else.
A lot of other countries have a higher tax rate bu the individual actually pay less in total

Our VAT rate is below the EU average — 17 countries have higher rates than us.

Also, as far as I can see, this study allowed for stuff like NI contributions as it looked at what your take home wages were compared to your gross salary.
What is going on in this country? on 17:13 - Apr 12 with 1131 viewsNo9

What is going on in this country? on 17:03 - Apr 12 by Clapham_Junction

Our VAT rate is below the EU average — 17 countries have higher rates than us.

Also, as far as I can see, this study allowed for stuff like NI contributions as it looked at what your take home wages were compared to your gross salary.

Yes, some countries do have higher VAT rates but not across the board as many countries have lower rates for such things as restaurants etc.
Also allowances are different, in the UK there are very few things the average PAYE employed can offset against tax whereas in other countries the allowances are much better e.g. some allow fares for travel to work to be tax deductible & some have more generous allowances for overseas working
What is going on in this country? on 17:32 - Apr 12 with 1114 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

When you look at the World that we as a species have created from all available possibilities, especially bearing in mind the millions of years of stored energy (oil,coal etc) which we have used up in the process, it's a pretty poor do really, isn't it !? So much cr@p !
Ignore me though, I'm a bit depressed.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If he goes will he still be Super?

What is going on in this country? on 17:37 - Apr 12 with 1108 viewsNo9

What is going on in this country? on 17:32 - Apr 12 by BanksterDebtSlave

When you look at the World that we as a species have created from all available possibilities, especially bearing in mind the millions of years of stored energy (oil,coal etc) which we have used up in the process, it's a pretty poor do really, isn't it !? So much cr@p !
Ignore me though, I'm a bit depressed.

Don't be depressed, your point is a good one
What is going on in this country? on 17:47 - Apr 12 with 1096 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

What is going on in this country? on 17:37 - Apr 12 by No9

Don't be depressed, your point is a good one

It always amazes me that anybody with eyes in their head wouldn't be.......if a person can make sense of a mad world, what does that make them ?

Edit......I think I was born an idealist and have been doing my best to avoid 'growing up' ever since.
[Post edited 12 Apr 2017 18:04]

What is going on in this country? on 17:52 - Apr 12 with 1084 viewsNo9

What is going on in this country? on 17:47 - Apr 12 by BanksterDebtSlave

It always amazes me that anybody with eyes in their head wouldn't be.......if a person can make sense of a mad world, what does that make them ?

Edit......I think I was born an idealist and have been doing my best to avoid 'growing up' ever since.
[Post edited 12 Apr 2017 18:04]

Some were conditioned at school to accept what they are told by their 'betters' while some of us questioned everything no matter who was pushing the propagander.
What is going on in this country? on 23:52 - Apr 12 with 1044 viewsRyorry

What is going on in this country? on 17:13 - Apr 12 by No9

Yes, some countries do have higher VAT rates but not across the board as many countries have lower rates for such things as restaurants etc.
Also allowances are different, in the UK there are very few things the average PAYE employed can offset against tax whereas in other countries the allowances are much better e.g. some allow fares for travel to work to be tax deductible & some have more generous allowances for overseas working

It's annoyed me for a very long time that whereas when VAT was first introduced it was meant to be a tax on luxury items such as chocolate, perfume etc, it's now a tax on almost every essential barring food & kids' clothes. Since when were house-building materials, repairs and heating fuel, e.g., ever 'luxuries'?!

Poll: Time of the annunciation

What is going on in this country? on 00:07 - Apr 13 with 1035 viewsRyorry

What is going on in this country? on 13:54 - Apr 12 by jeera

I have always worked 6/7 days a week and when I had my own little business, a sense of pride when I achieved something.

Crappy health has left me unable to work for over 3 years and I go out of my mind. I have done, (and am still doing) any online free course I can get my hands on. I want to be able to approach a potential employer one day and tell him/her that I've been busy and not spent my whole time dossing around doing nothing.

Being off work may sound good to some, but with limited income and the health problems themselves means I couldn't enjoy myself if I wanted to.

I constantly worry what others might think when they see me, hence my reaction.

Because they only see me on a ' good' day, for obvious reasons.

Those are the only days I get out!
[Post edited 12 Apr 2017 13:55]

I think that unless people have themselves been sick for any lengthy period, it's hard for them to grasp just how soul-sapping it is for those affected, esp if they happen to be young, or young-ish (under 50).

I can't begin to describe how frustrating, isolating and depressing the situation is, esp if you don't live as part of a family, as you know. Not only do you have to cope with the pain, incapacity and weakness that the illness itself brings, but also the sense of loneliness, missing being part of a team, having colleagues around you, doing something useful, having a purpose in life, something to get up for - and of course a salary. Anyone who thinks state benefits for long term disability are in themselves sufficient to keep you in comfort is completely deluded.

I would go with means testing actually, taking your point that the benefits may not actually be needed. However, appearances can be deceptive - people can be asset rich but cash poor, and a more comfortable or costly car may be the only transport that the ill person can travel in. Eg I retain my Landrover, which is expensive to run, despite not living at the end of a half-mile farm track any more, because its basic, square upright seats are the only ones which allow me to sit as square and upright as my back needs, without my head sticking through the roof!
[Post edited 13 Apr 2017 0:10]

What is going on in this country? on 00:29 - Apr 13 with 1019 viewsjeera

What is going on in this country? on 00:07 - Apr 13 by Ryorry

I think that unless people have themselves been sick for any lengthy period, it's hard for them to grasp just how soul-sapping it is for those affected, esp if they happen to be young, or young-ish (under 50).

I can't begin to describe how frustrating, isolating and depressing the situation is, esp if you don't live as part of a family, as you know. Not only do you have to cope with the pain, incapacity and weakness that the illness itself brings, but also the sense of loneliness, missing being part of a team, having colleagues around you, doing something useful, having a purpose in life, something to get up for - and of course a salary. Anyone who thinks state benefits for long term disability are in themselves sufficient to keep you in comfort is completely deluded.

I would go with means testing actually, taking your point that the benefits may not actually be needed. However, appearances can be deceptive - people can be asset rich but cash poor, and a more comfortable or costly car may be the only transport that the ill person can travel in. Eg I retain my Landrover, which is expensive to run, despite not living at the end of a half-mile farm track any more, because its basic, square upright seats are the only ones which allow me to sit as square and upright as my back needs, without my head sticking through the roof!
[Post edited 13 Apr 2017 0:10]

Take on board fully the points you make.

I was thinking of 2 places I used to deliver to when driving if I'm honest and it was clear they were not short of means in any way.

I'm talking 600 grand place for one old boy and his wife. Yet free prescriptions and deliveries, which made no sense.

The one with the Mercedes also has Audis in the driveway. New, shiny...

Madness that they qualify for this stuff on the tax payer.

If we go down another route regarding offenders, then as ex probation you may have comprehension of how much is spent on taxis for offenders to attend their 'punishment'.

Edit: and thanks for your openness in understanding. Of course you know my situation along with a handful on here. You know some of what it's been like.
[Post edited 13 Apr 2017 0:50]

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

What is going on in this country? on 07:40 - Apr 13 with 968 viewsSteve_M

And, of course, there is the role of the media in the demonisation:

http://blogs.lse.ac.uk/politicsandpolicy/for-whose-benefit/

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

What is going on in this country? on 09:05 - Apr 13 with 939 viewsbournemouthblue

What is going on in this country? on 10:46 - Apr 12 by Steve_M

Well, quite.

Relentless demonisation of anyone claiming benefits (other than pensions of course) and a desperate, politically charged desire to cut state spending regardless of the real cost.

And at the same time happy to spunk billions on bombing campaigns and weapons systems we'll never use

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

What is going on in this country? on 09:08 - Apr 13 with 938 viewsSteve_M

What is going on in this country? on 09:05 - Apr 13 by bournemouthblue

And at the same time happy to spunk billions on bombing campaigns and weapons systems we'll never use

It's not really an either/or scenario, or at least it shouldn't be. It's a good thing for a country to have an effective military and a genuinely supportive welfare state.

Although, of course, the same politically driven outsourcing of MoD procurement has seen the same enormous cost overruns and reduction in capability as we see elsewhere.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

What is going on in this country? on 09:20 - Apr 13 with 932 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

What is going on in this country? on 09:08 - Apr 13 by Steve_M

It's not really an either/or scenario, or at least it shouldn't be. It's a good thing for a country to have an effective military and a genuinely supportive welfare state.

Although, of course, the same politically driven outsourcing of MoD procurement has seen the same enormous cost overruns and reduction in capability as we see elsewhere.

People do not fare well on social security......bloodee Americans !

What is going on in this country? on 09:43 - Apr 13 with 929 viewsbournemouthblue

What is going on in this country? on 09:08 - Apr 13 by Steve_M

No one is saying we don't want an effective military but war is expensive

We are a massive arms exporter and pharmaceuticals so in a strange way, we do benefit from it?

Trident is the issue I'm talking about, the old MAD argument which is much like the guns argument really. If we ever use Trident, it is hardly going to be a world worth living on?

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

What is going on in this country? on 10:36 - Apr 13 with 910 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

What is going on in this country? on 17:52 - Apr 12 by No9

Some were conditioned at school to accept what they are told by their 'betters' while some of us questioned everything no matter who was pushing the propagander.

Indeed, 'from the cradle to the grave.....'

Play at MAX VOLUME !
"Cos your father will tell you "Sonny, you must do as you are told"
And you'll say the same thing to your kids when you're 32 years old
And unless you can react against the brainwash from the start
Your government will rule your mind and your mind will rule your heart
You'll conform to every social law and be the system's slave
From birth to school to work to death, from the cradle to the grave..... "
[Post edited 13 Apr 2017 10:59]

What is going on in this country? on 11:21 - Apr 13 with 887 viewsBasuco

My Mum lost her blue badge around that time as well, she didn't tell me she just stopped going out to places where parking is difficult. She very quickly lost the ability to walk far. She quickly became virtually house bound.
What is going on in this country? on 12:39 - Apr 13 with 854 viewsRyorry

What is going on in this country? on 11:21 - Apr 13 by Basuco

My Mum lost her blue badge around that time as well, she didn't tell me she just stopped going out to places where parking is difficult. She very quickly lost the ability to walk far. She quickly became virtually house bound.

Sorry to hear that, awful.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024