Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
My views on this season, Mick, and going forward 22:29 - Apr 21 with 3424 viewsrayman_10

Please feel free to ignore this I just have to let some of my frustration out on some of our 'supporters'.

For what' is worth, I'm still Mick in. Whilst he is still our manager I will always support and applaud him and the team... even if sometimes the football is uninspiring. However, the vast majority of town fans want Mick out. That's fine. Everyone is entitled to an opinion. But I feel some people take it too far (admittedly mostly on twitter rather than on here but character restrictions means I have to post this here). I read a load of posts and tweets saying along the lines of 'if anyone still supports Mick they are an idiot'. I accept everyone's opinion... there is no need for personal abuse. Some people's views are different. That's one of the many aspects of the beautiful game. I also dislike the personal abuse towards Mick... people calling him an idiot and worse. Words I can't type on here!

Fair enough, Mick is not everyone's cup of tea. But let's just remember where we were before he took over. Bottom. Heading to league 1. In a couple of seasons we was one game away from Wembley with a chance of hitting the big time again. What makes this more impressive is the hand he has been dealt with my our owner. Freebies... loans... bargains etc. I can't think of many managers who would have achieved this. But what I like most is I see the WHOLE squad (Leon Best an exception) fighting for the club and putting 100% effort in. I could be wrong but I feel since Mick has been here... the players genuinely care. I think it actually hurts players like Chambers when we lose. I remember under Jewel or Keane the thing I found most frustrating was not the results, but the manner in which players like Bullard, Bowyer, Andrews, Chopra, JET etc strutting around and not giving a flying monkeys if we win or lose. I accept bad results and lack of talent... what I won't excuse is lack of effort. Since MM has been here... not one of his squads on paper is good enough for the play offs. Probably even top half. Yet this is the only season where we haven't met expectations... or in most seasons, exceeding them.

I also feel that the majority of us take Mick's quotes out of context. As a season ticket holder, I don't feel Mick has personally attacked us and when he's said things like 'the atmosphere hasn't helped', I actually agree with him. I know the majority of us are hardcore supporters and I love our fans. But whether we are divided by Mick in, Mick Out... we are all united in being Ipswich fans. Something I take pride in. I will support this team through the good, and bad times and certainly will not Boo or sing anti supportive songs, especially before the game has ended.

I'm not saying for one minute give him a 10 year contract and immune him from the sack. Far from it. I just feel Mick has earned the right to have one season of disappointment. I believe he deserves the chance to turn it around. If not, fair enough, we move on. I take my current frustrations out on our owner. The ticket prices, and the lack of investment into the team. Mick's hands really are tied with the quality he is able to bring into them team. The lack of ambition from the owner I think the quality of the squad won't be able to compete with half of the other teams in this league. Team morale, hard word, and organisation is our only shot. Which I think is Mick's biggest strengths.

If you're Mick out, fair enough. I respect your opinion. But please don't personally attack people who don't share your thoughts. I urge we all get behind the team... the club. No matter who's in charge. Bad atmosphere will only make things worse. Sorry for the rant but had to get this off my chest regardless if anyone actually reads it. Sorry if there's any typos but I can't be bothered to proof read this... I've gone on longer than I thought.

Up the town!!! Onwards and upwards TOGETHER

COYB

My views on this season, Mick, and going forward on 01:36 - Apr 22 with 3310 viewsBlueBadger

A good analysis. There's definitely been mistakes made but also hands have been tied. Personally, I feel that we're at a similar point that we were at the end of Jim Mgailton's tenure in charge. Namely, that the manager could probably/possibly still do a good job next season but there's a deterioration of relations between him and the local press and fans that ultimately, the owner, will take notice of and act upon.

I just hope that he makes a far, far, better decision than he did last time were at this juncture.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

My views on this season, Mick, and going forward on 08:40 - Apr 22 with 3176 viewsrayman_10

My views on this season, Mick, and going forward on 01:36 - Apr 22 by BlueBadger

A good analysis. There's definitely been mistakes made but also hands have been tied. Personally, I feel that we're at a similar point that we were at the end of Jim Mgailton's tenure in charge. Namely, that the manager could probably/possibly still do a good job next season but there's a deterioration of relations between him and the local press and fans that ultimately, the owner, will take notice of and act upon.

I just hope that he makes a far, far, better decision than he did last time were at this juncture.

Cheers. Yeah I feel the same. I think it's 50/50 regards to him staying. I think it will be down to how he perform over the last few games, atmosphere, and when Evans sees his season ticket sales plummet. Which is down to him as well as MM. more so with Evans. It wouldn't even surprised me if Mick walks if he doesn't get the right tools to get the squad he wants or the right amount of quality in and given some of the stick/abuse he gets.

I just hope no matter who's in charge, we just get behind the team. Like you say last time we were at this crossroads, look what happened!

COYB

My views on this season, Mick, and going forward on 08:43 - Apr 22 with 3172 viewsSWGF

Hearty congratulations on the first "remember where we were" that I've seen for a while. I'm going to suggest 4.5yrs on, we can stop banging that drum.

Poll: What constitutes "too many" when it comes to a daily intake of custard creams?
Blog: Mirroring the Last Rites of Keane's Reign

My views on this season, Mick, and going forward on 08:47 - Apr 22 with 3159 viewsBenters

My views on this season, Mick, and going forward on 08:43 - Apr 22 by SWGF

Hearty congratulations on the first "remember where we were" that I've seen for a while. I'm going to suggest 4.5yrs on, we can stop banging that drum.

Fantastic ! 15th BELIEVE !

Christ on a bike we have another 4-5 years of saying that!

Be careful what you wish for.

Gentlybentley
Poll: Simple poll plane banner over Norwich

My views on this season, Mick, and going forward on 09:05 - Apr 22 with 3129 viewsPlums

All fair points and you're fully entitled to you opinion.
FWIW I think the personal abuse etc that you refer to is actually a far wider problem in modern society where disagreement and debate is no longer desirable and should be shouted down. I don't believe this is unique to Town fans.

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

My views on this season, Mick, and going forward on 09:52 - Apr 22 with 3087 viewsCoco

Mick out.

#SellUpMarcusEvans #LambertOUT // Sent from my iphone - which explains all the felling spuck ups
Poll: When we're finally freed from Mick McCarthy would you like to see Burley as DoF?

My views on this season, Mick, and going forward on 10:08 - Apr 22 with 3057 viewsmonty_radio

My views on this season, Mick, and going forward on 09:05 - Apr 22 by Plums

FWIW I think the personal abuse etc that you refer to is actually a far wider problem in modern society where disagreement and debate is no longer desirable and should be shouted down. I don't believe this is unique to Town fans.

Not sure who you mean is doing the "shouting down" in this analysis.

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

My views on this season, Mick, and going forward on 10:22 - Apr 22 with 3022 viewstractorshark

A fair analysis.
I thought Mick should go after Lincoln but the transfer deadline day shambles proved that Evans' disinterest is more of an issue.
Whether McCarthy can take us on next season depends on the budget allowed by Evans.
If he offers the same, I could see Mick walking.
However, I don't believe many if any will do better long-term under the same restraints.
The comment we're in the same place as we were 4.5 years ago is untrue.
We were dead and buried when Jewell left. Since then we've reached the playoffs once and challenged twice, something the club hadn't done for some time.
Yes, we've had a bad season, yes, Mick has been too negative and loyal to the likes of Douglas but a lack of investment and injuries to key players hasn't helped either.
You can call for the inclusion of youth but please don't tell me Dozzell would have made a massive difference. He's a good player but a little boy in a man's world and best suited to cameos right now.
Mick can be stubborn and abrasive, maybe his time is up but the people who largely moan about his digs at the fans are the same ones who call him every name under the sun.
And they will do the same to the next manager when he has a tough run of results.
I've said it before Mick will be more fondly remembered as an Ipswich boss in the years to come.
But if we can play like we have since February, I won't be unhappy if he stays for another season.
It's not been perfect but it has been a step in the right direction.
Login to get fewer ads

My views on this season, Mick, and going forward on 10:39 - Apr 22 with 2989 viewsPlums

My views on this season, Mick, and going forward on 10:08 - Apr 22 by monty_radio

Not sure who you mean is doing the "shouting down" in this analysis.

People claiming 'if anyone still supports Mick, they are an idiot'...

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

My views on this season, Mick, and going forward on 10:44 - Apr 22 with 2979 viewsbraveblue

Afraid I disagree. He constantly has a go at the fans in a Gould miuthed manner. Hardly surprising he gets it back.

Looking at the programme on Monday we have a bigger squad than Newcastle by about 6 players. Our wage bill increases each year and results on price rises and concessions being lost. Probably about 2k fans gone. Yet we hardly ever see any of these players getting even 10 minutes. MM signed them, it's his responsibility and he has failed.

He saved us from relegation and over four years has developed the squad to the extent that we were back in a relegation fight. Not impressive.

Time for a change I believe. But as you correctly say it is only my opinion and I respect your right to disagree.
My views on this season, Mick, and going forward on 12:08 - Apr 22 with 2895 viewsClausThomsen

Last season was a failure, this season was his chance to turn it around - and he's failed spectacularly.

It's lazy saying ME isn't backing MM - MM's targets were overpriced. If you target players who aren't for sale from divisional rivals then you're going to be paying too much. There's plenty of players in other leagues and countries we could have picked up in August or January if we were prepared to look.

You say the squad's weak but we played a team vs Newcastle we could have played all season (bar Huws) and we trounced them. The team is shackled by the manager, and he's so stubborn it takes him half a season (at least) to change something that isn't working.

And hearing Mick say that he kept us up 4 years ago is like hearing Uncle Albert talk about the war.

He's been here too long and he's got to go. Our best hope is the youth players - youth players that won't have a chance under MM. He's not gonna change.
My views on this season, Mick, and going forward on 12:17 - Apr 22 with 2870 viewsrayman_10

My views on this season, Mick, and going forward on 08:43 - Apr 22 by SWGF

I think my point was within those 4.5 years... going from that to finishing 6th, 7th etc is quite remarkable. This season has been poor. Some of the football makes me want to tear my hair out. But I think he deserves one more season to rebuild

COYB

My views on this season, Mick, and going forward on 12:18 - Apr 22 with 2862 viewsrayman_10

My views on this season, Mick, and going forward on 09:05 - Apr 22 by Plums

No I totally agree. Nowadays if someone has a different opinion they are branded an idiot.

COYB

My views on this season, Mick, and going forward on 12:24 - Apr 22 with 2852 viewsrayman_10

My views on this season, Mick, and going forward on 12:08 - Apr 22 by ClausThomsen

Last season was a failure, this season was his chance to turn it around - and he's failed spectacularly.

It's lazy saying ME isn't backing MM - MM's targets were overpriced. If you target players who aren't for sale from divisional rivals then you're going to be paying too much. There's plenty of players in other leagues and countries we could have picked up in August or January if we were prepared to look.

You say the squad's weak but we played a team vs Newcastle we could have played all season (bar Huws) and we trounced them. The team is shackled by the manager, and he's so stubborn it takes him half a season (at least) to change something that isn't working.

And hearing Mick say that he kept us up 4 years ago is like hearing Uncle Albert talk about the war.

He's been here too long and he's got to go. Our best hope is the youth players - youth players that won't have a chance under MM. He's not gonna change.

I would actually say 7th last season isn't a failure with the overall quality of the squad. On paper in my view the squad was barely top half material. But each to their own.

Frustrating missing out in play offs but not necessarily a failure. You say he won't play youth players but I think he's called on Emmanuel, Kenlock, Bishop (injuries have hampered him) and has given Dozzell first team minutes. Maybe that's not enough for some people which is fair enough. I just don't know how many of our youth players are up to scratch.

COYB

My views on this season, Mick, and going forward on 12:39 - Apr 22 with 2809 viewsClausThomsen

My views on this season, Mick, and going forward on 12:24 - Apr 22 by rayman_10

I would actually say 7th last season isn't a failure with the overall quality of the squad. On paper in my view the squad was barely top half material. But each to their own.

Frustrating missing out in play offs but not necessarily a failure. You say he won't play youth players but I think he's called on Emmanuel, Kenlock, Bishop (injuries have hampered him) and has given Dozzell first team minutes. Maybe that's not enough for some people which is fair enough. I just don't know how many of our youth players are up to scratch.

I think that after making the playoffs, failure to make the playoffs again has to be deemed a failure.

You've only seen the squad play under MM. Against Newcastle we've shown that we haven't needed to "match up" for 2 seasons - the only reason we've been doing this is because MM is too negative.

MM's an experienced coach with a record of not trusting youth players, Spence is playing ahead of Emmanuel and Kenlock's been behind Knudsen when Knudsen's been fit. Bishop has been fit while MM's played Douglas, so while Didzy's been given time to find his "pomp", Bishop hasn't. Dozzell looks lightweight but should still have featured more than he has, considering who else has been playing that position.

If a manager finishes 6th, then 7th and then 15th, do you give him another year?

Of course you don't.
My views on this season, Mick, and going forward on 12:43 - Apr 22 with 2798 viewsHerbivore

My views on this season, Mick, and going forward on 12:39 - Apr 22 by ClausThomsen

I think that after making the playoffs, failure to make the playoffs again has to be deemed a failure.

You've only seen the squad play under MM. Against Newcastle we've shown that we haven't needed to "match up" for 2 seasons - the only reason we've been doing this is because MM is too negative.

MM's an experienced coach with a record of not trusting youth players, Spence is playing ahead of Emmanuel and Kenlock's been behind Knudsen when Knudsen's been fit. Bishop has been fit while MM's played Douglas, so while Didzy's been given time to find his "pomp", Bishop hasn't. Dozzell looks lightweight but should still have featured more than he has, considering who else has been playing that position.

If a manager finishes 6th, then 7th and then 15th, do you give him another year?

Of course you don't.

You've not been to any games over the last 2 seasons so not sure where you get these views from.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

My views on this season, Mick, and going forward on 12:50 - Apr 22 with 2774 viewsClausThomsen

My views on this season, Mick, and going forward on 12:43 - Apr 22 by Herbivore

You've not been to any games over the last 2 seasons so not sure where you get these views from.

All the information's on the internet, including live commentary, live matches and all the news, stats, extended highlights and match reports.

You can't address any of the criticisms so you just down arrow and resort to the "you don't go to games" lawyer tactic - perfectly valid 20 years ago but technology's rendered it almost irrelevant.
My views on this season, Mick, and going forward on 12:53 - Apr 22 with 2766 viewsHerbivore

My views on this season, Mick, and going forward on 12:50 - Apr 22 by ClausThomsen

All the information's on the internet, including live commentary, live matches and all the news, stats, extended highlights and match reports.

You can't address any of the criticisms so you just down arrow and resort to the "you don't go to games" lawyer tactic - perfectly valid 20 years ago but technology's rendered it almost irrelevant.

You can only get a handful of full Town matches via the internet each year. Everything else only gives you a small part of the picture. I've answered all your points numerous times in other threads and you've chosen to ignore them in favour of continuing to bang the same old drum. I'll trust my own views on this one, they're based on the more solid evidence of actually going to a large number of games over the period in question.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

My views on this season, Mick, and going forward on 13:00 - Apr 22 with 2747 viewsjas0999

I still personally feel the problems at the club stem from Evans. Mick has done his best under trying circumstances. He's had no money and in the past two season has seen top players sold and frankly not replaced. Certainly true in regards to Murphy,

Yet, I still can't excuse some of the things he says, nor his it's my way or the highway approach. Much of the other things you say is true though. But ultimately for me the quality of football over the past eighteen months has generally been poor. The Newcastle game proved there was no need to play two holding defensive midfielders at home.

If Mick continues to play attacking football. Gets rid of the dead wood. Then I'm also 50/50 about him staying. My gut says a leopard doesn't change it's spots. At the end of last season we won a couple of dead rubbers playing attacking football. But despite the promise returned negative at the start of the season. I fear the same will happen next year.

This summer though hinges on Evans. He put prices up and now needs to justify it by offering a better product I.e. Players.
My views on this season, Mick, and going forward on 13:12 - Apr 22 with 2711 viewsClausThomsen

My views on this season, Mick, and going forward on 12:53 - Apr 22 by Herbivore

You can only get a handful of full Town matches via the internet each year. Everything else only gives you a small part of the picture. I've answered all your points numerous times in other threads and you've chosen to ignore them in favour of continuing to bang the same old drum. I'll trust my own views on this one, they're based on the more solid evidence of actually going to a large number of games over the period in question.

The problem is though that plenty of people who go to games don't see it like you do.

So it's all subjective.
My views on this season, Mick, and going forward on 15:54 - Apr 22 with 2618 viewsrayman_10

My views on this season, Mick, and going forward on 12:39 - Apr 22 by ClausThomsen

Of course you don't.

I accept that but Spence has played at least a 7/10 every game I've seen him. Even when Knudsen was fit Kenlock was still playing LWB while Knudsen was playing LCB. Bishop played I think over 30 games in his break through season. Unfortunately looked off the pace soon. I love youth players coming through but they have got to be up to standard. In his day Bishop is quality. But recently we haven't seen it due to injure and loss of form etc. I'm sure if he can get back to his early form he will play. I hope so anyway.

COYB

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024