Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
BBC interviewing a Seafarer - Mental Health 17:12 - Nov 3 with 2981 viewsNewcyBlue

I can't watch the video, my internet connection is too poor.

If anyone can watch it here, could they summarise it for me please?

http://www.bbc.com/news/av/stories-41818179/suicidal-thoughts-a-seafarer-s-story

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

BBC interviewing a Seafarer - Mental Health on 17:30 - Nov 3 with 2968 viewsgiant_stow

He joined the shipping industry and left home in Ethiopia. Almost immediately realised he'd made a mistake. Got increasingly unhappy and felt trapped. Made worse by there being little physical room in the engine room / somewhere with big machines. Used to speak to his family on the phone but didn't tell them about his suicidal thoughts as there was no point in worrying them. Thought about throwing himself into the sea. Held out for 4 months. Git to port and researched a scholarship on the Internet studying related stuff and has now lived in Cardiff for 5 years.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

BBC interviewing a Seafarer - Mental Health on 17:40 - Nov 3 with 2949 viewsNewcyBlue

BBC interviewing a Seafarer - Mental Health on 17:30 - Nov 3 by giant_stow

He joined the shipping industry and left home in Ethiopia. Almost immediately realised he'd made a mistake. Got increasingly unhappy and felt trapped. Made worse by there being little physical room in the engine room / somewhere with big machines. Used to speak to his family on the phone but didn't tell them about his suicidal thoughts as there was no point in worrying them. Thought about throwing himself into the sea. Held out for 4 months. Git to port and researched a scholarship on the Internet studying related stuff and has now lived in Cardiff for 5 years.

Cheers

Sometimes that sea does look very inviting.

on 17:52 - Nov 3 with 2936 views_

BBC interviewing a Seafarer - Mental Health on 17:40 - Nov 3 by NewcyBlue

Cheers

BBC interviewing a Seafarer - Mental Health on 17:52 - Nov 3 with 2936 viewsgiant_stow

Cheers

Sh1t, hope you're OK fella? Did you see the link on that page at the bottom?

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

BBC interviewing a Seafarer - Mental Health on 18:19 - Nov 3 with 2922 viewsNewcyBlue

BBC interviewing a Seafarer - Mental Health on 17:52 - Nov 3 by giant_stow

Sh1t, hope you're OK fella? Did you see the link on that page at the bottom?

Yeah i am ok mate.

Sometimes when you stand at the bulwark and stare into the water it is like it is calling you in. I have to physically step away as I find it too inviting.

I think it is quite a common thing.

BBC interviewing a Seafarer - Mental Health on 18:49 - Nov 3 with 2903 viewsBenters

Cheers

Does it fk its all full of plastic and rubbish.

Gentlybentley
Poll: Simple poll plane banner over Norwich

BBC interviewing a Seafarer - Mental Health on 06:57 - Nov 4 with 2808 viewsdickie

BBC interviewing a Seafarer - Mental Health on 18:49 - Nov 3 by Benters

Does it fk its all full of plastic and rubbish.

How can you be that obnoxious?!
BBC interviewing a Seafarer - Mental Health on 07:11 - Nov 4 with 2803 viewsPendejo

BBC interviewing a Seafarer - Mental Health on 18:19 - Nov 3 by NewcyBlue

Yeah i am ok mate.

Sometimes when you stand at the bulwark and stare into the water it is like it is calling you in. I have to physically step away as I find it too inviting.

I did mention the Sirens the other day; it may be a sweet song but its fake!!!!

Try not to get your feet wet.

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Login to get fewer ads

BBC interviewing a Seafarer - Mental Health on 07:15 - Nov 4 with 2797 viewsBenters

BBC interviewing a Seafarer - Mental Health on 06:57 - Nov 4 by dickie

How can you be that obnoxious?!

So our oceans are not full of rubbish then?

Righto!

Gentlybentley
Poll: Simple poll plane banner over Norwich

BBC interviewing a Seafarer - Mental Health on 09:36 - Nov 4 with 2739 viewsNewcyBlue

BBC interviewing a Seafarer - Mental Health on 07:15 - Nov 4 by Benters

So our oceans are not full of rubbish then?

Righto!

Mate there is no huge island of plastic and rubbish floating around.

Trust me. I have been in every ocean. I use the ocean currents to my advantage to save fuel, thus doing less damage to the environment.

I am not saying there isn't plastic and rubbish in the oceans. Any amount is too much.

I have just done the South Atlantic and part of the North Atlantic.

I used the Benguela current to give me a bit of a boost heading North, then allowed the South Equatorial Current to push me off my course, rather than adjusting into it and losing speed and increasing fuel. Then the North Equatorial Current did the same, bringing me back to my course Line.

After that I encountered head currents, Guinea and Canary. To use these as best as I could, I went within the 200m contour depth line. Getting out of the head currents and taking the counter currents (these spin off from the currents).

At no point has there been a mass of garbage.

We have a no dumping policy on our ships. The only thing to go over the side is ground up food waste.

BBC interviewing a Seafarer - Mental Health on 09:39 - Nov 4 with 2735 viewsDyland

BBC interviewing a Seafarer - Mental Health on 09:36 - Nov 4 by NewcyBlue

Mate there is no huge island of plastic and rubbish floating around.

Trust me. I have been in every ocean. I use the ocean currents to my advantage to save fuel, thus doing less damage to the environment.

I am not saying there isn't plastic and rubbish in the oceans. Any amount is too much.

I have just done the South Atlantic and part of the North Atlantic.

I used the Benguela current to give me a bit of a boost heading North, then allowed the South Equatorial Current to push me off my course, rather than adjusting into it and losing speed and increasing fuel. Then the North Equatorial Current did the same, bringing me back to my course Line.

After that I encountered head currents, Guinea and Canary. To use these as best as I could, I went within the 200m contour depth line. Getting out of the head currents and taking the counter currents (these spin off from the currents).

At no point has there been a mass of garbage.

We have a no dumping policy on our ships. The only thing to go over the side is ground up food waste.

You don't see it cos it's always behind you Newcers. The rubbish island is following your boat.

Love your post about using the currents ba. Good on ya.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

BBC interviewing a Seafarer - Mental Health on 09:40 - Nov 4 with 2730 viewsDyland

Yeah i am ok mate.

Innit. The ocean dweller's version of vertigo.

BBC interviewing a Seafarer - Mental Health on 11:13 - Nov 4 with 2689 viewsconnorscontract

Yeah i am ok mate.

I couldn't do what you do. Hopefully you know how much admiration there is for you amongst the regulars here, not that "Held in high esteem by a bunch of argumentative d!ckheads" is much of a cv headline!

What are the "post-ship-life" job options? Is there a route into Head Office? Maybe it's time to think about settling down with work nearer to your family?

Or what about the mini-cruise lines operating out of Tynemouth? A few days away at a time and more time at home.
[Post edited 4 Nov 2017 11:23]
BBC interviewing a Seafarer - Mental Health on 11:25 - Nov 4 with 2672 viewsDyland

BBC interviewing a Seafarer - Mental Health on 11:13 - Nov 4 by connorscontract

I couldn't do what you do. Hopefully you know how much admiration there is for you amongst the regulars here, not that "Held in high esteem by a bunch of argumentative d!ckheads" is much of a cv headline!

What are the "post-ship-life" job options? Is there a route into Head Office? Maybe it's time to think about settling down with work nearer to your family?

Or what about the mini-cruise lines operating out of Tynemouth? A few days away at a time and more time at home.

" not that "Held in high esteem by a bunch of argumentative d!ckheads" is much of a cv headline! "

Literal splutter :)

BBC interviewing a Seafarer - Mental Health on 11:30 - Nov 5 with 2548 viewsNewcyBlue

BBC interviewing a Seafarer - Mental Health on 11:13 - Nov 4 by connorscontract

Apologies. I had written out a reply only for the satellite internet to drop out.

Careers ashore for a Deck Officer are fairly limited to shipping vacancies. Which again in Newcastle are rather limited.

There is a Nautical school in Newcastle that I have been offered a job at. Currently I get too much time off to even consider a shore job. I am sure at some point the time away will be harder and not make it worth it for the time at home.

Pilotage is also an option, Tyne, Wear, Tees, even Humber is in easy reach.

I did apply to DFDS for the Tyne Amsterdam cruise boat. They only take Danes apparently.

Short sea is something I have been looking into, 2 weeks on 2 weeks off.

Generally I enjoy my job. I work in a tough environment, it is mentally and physically tough.

There are some things that I complain about. However, when I am standing on the bridge approaching a port with a cracking view of the world I do think myself rather fortunate.

When I do eventually come ashore I will find it a sad day for some reasons, but I will be ready to come ashore.

I rather strangely get most enjoyment in my job when things are going wrong.

I hope Seb can understand the advantages to me working away, we have more quality time than if I had a shore job. Although that is becoming less now that he has started school. A time for change is nearing, but not yet.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024