Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
"Somewhere a place for us" - very moving memorial service for the Grenfell 13:14 - Dec 14 with 8110 viewsRyorry

victims - but still so many have not been re-housed, and 6 months later are living in hotels for heavens sake -

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/grenfell-tower-memorial-live-upda

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/dec/14/grenfell-tower-delays-and-trauma

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

"Somewhere a place for us" - very moving memorial service for the Grenfell on 13:19 - Dec 14 with 6694 viewsReuser_is_God

Yes because finding/building homes for 100s of people all at the same time in London is a walk in the park.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

"Somewhere a place for us" - very moving memorial service for the Grenfell on 13:29 - Dec 14 with 6678 viewsRyorry

"Somewhere a place for us" - very moving memorial service for the Grenfell on 13:19 - Dec 14 by Reuser_is_God

Yes because finding/building homes for 100s of people all at the same time in London is a walk in the park.

We all know it wasn't going to be easy, but also that if they were rich, powerful or influential, more stops would have been pulled out & they'd have been sorted by now.

"Somewhere a place for us" - very moving memorial service for the Grenfell on 13:37 - Dec 14 with 6655 viewslowhouseblue

"Somewhere a place for us" - very moving memorial service for the Grenfell on 13:29 - Dec 14 by Ryorry

We all know it wasn't going to be easy, but also that if they were rich, powerful or influential, more stops would have been pulled out & they'd have been sorted by now.

according to newsnight the council's current budget for purchasing new housing stock amounts to £1.5 million per household to be re-housed (and that's on the basis that some of the original households now require more than one unit). that's a lot of money being spent on people who aren't rich, powerful or influential.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

(No subject) on 13:39 - Dec 14 with 6652 viewsvilanovablue

"Somewhere a place for us" - very moving memorial service for the Grenfell on 13:37 - Dec 14 by lowhouseblue

according to newsnight the council's current budget for purchasing new housing stock amounts to £1.5 million per household to be re-housed (and that's on the basis that some of the original households now require more than one unit). that's a lot of money being spent on people who aren't rich, powerful or influential.

When their home's burnt down and there are very serious questions to be answered about the state of Grenfell Tower which had been raised by residents it doesn't seem so much seeing as many people lost loved ones and all they owned.
[Post edited 14 Dec 2017 13:40]
(No subject) on 13:44 - Dec 14 with 6637 viewslowhouseblue

(No subject) on 13:39 - Dec 14 by vilanovablue

When their home's burnt down and there are very serious questions to be answered about the state of Grenfell Tower which had been raised by residents it doesn't seem so much seeing as many people lost loved ones and all they owned.
[Post edited 14 Dec 2017 13:40]

my point, in response to ryorry, was that quite a lot is actually being done. i didn't say that it's wrong to do this.
[Post edited 14 Dec 2017 13:54]

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

"Somewhere a place for us" - very moving memorial service for the Grenfell on 14:03 - Dec 14 with 6598 viewsGuthrum

"Somewhere a place for us" - very moving memorial service for the Grenfell on 13:29 - Dec 14 by Ryorry

There's added complexity in that families - understandably - don't want to be split up or relocted far from the area where they work and have their social roots. It's not just accomodation, but the right kind of (secure and long-term) homes in the right place.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

"Somewhere a place for us" - very moving memorial service for the Grenfell on 14:24 - Dec 14 with 6580 viewsRyorry

"Somewhere a place for us" - very moving memorial service for the Grenfell on 14:03 - Dec 14 by Guthrum

There's added complexity in that families - understandably - don't want to be split up or relocted far from the area where they work and have their social roots. It's not just accomodation, but the right kind of (secure and long-term) homes in the right place.

I know, but I'd still have thought that in the circumstance, all red tape could have been cut and a new purpose built block (or refurb of other properties) at least be under way for them.

"Somewhere a place for us" - very moving memorial service for the Grenfell on 14:30 - Dec 14 with 6567 viewsGlasgowBlue

"Somewhere a place for us" - very moving memorial service for the Grenfell on 14:24 - Dec 14 by Ryorry

I know, but I'd still have thought that in the circumstance, all red tape could have been cut and a new purpose built block (or refurb of other properties) at least be under way for them.

Where would they build it? Would cutting red tape be advisable on light of safety concerns over Grenfell. I would imagine they will be very careful with any new build for the survivors rather than going gung ho with all the best will in the world.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Login to get fewer ads

"Somewhere a place for us" - very moving memorial service for the Grenfell on 14:33 - Dec 14 with 6563 viewscrunchie1978

No they wouldn't...as a previous poster stated finding housing in London isn't easy especially with the resident's wanting to stay as close as possible.
"Somewhere a place for us" - very moving memorial service for the Grenfell on 14:35 - Dec 14 with 6555 viewsGuthrum

"Somewhere a place for us" - very moving memorial service for the Grenfell on 14:24 - Dec 14 by Ryorry

The problem with any new-build is getting hold of the land (incredibly pricey that far inside West London, if it can be found at all). Or they'd have to demolish the old block first, which has to wait until all inquiries are finished. Then it'll take a few months to build, even at the speed modern blocks go up.

"Somewhere a place for us" - very moving memorial service for the Grenfell on 14:36 - Dec 14 with 6553 viewscrunchie1978

"Somewhere a place for us" - very moving memorial service for the Grenfell on 13:37 - Dec 14 by lowhouseblue

Also coupled with the fact a number have refused housing based purely on location which makes things a lot harder.
"Somewhere a place for us" - very moving memorial service for the Grenfell on 14:44 - Dec 14 with 6535 viewstcblue

"Somewhere a place for us" - very moving memorial service for the Grenfell on 14:36 - Dec 14 by crunchie1978

Also coupled with the fact a number have refused housing based purely on location which makes things a lot harder.

Because they're acutely aware of the gentrification opportunity which has presented itself to Royal Kensington and Chelsea council due to this disaster.
"Somewhere a place for us" - very moving memorial service for the Grenfell on 14:53 - Dec 14 with 6524 viewsGuthrum

"Somewhere a place for us" - very moving memorial service for the Grenfell on 14:36 - Dec 14 by crunchie1978

If your home in Ipswich burnt down (through no fault of your own) and the replacement offered was in Norwich - far from friends, family and job - would you be inclined to accept?

"Somewhere a place for us" - very moving memorial service for the Grenfell on 15:29 - Dec 14 with 6493 viewsfactual_blue

If only there were large empty houses in the vicinity...

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

"Somewhere a place for us" - very moving memorial service for the Grenfell on 15:50 - Dec 14 with 6473 viewsblue_oyster

All of the residents have been offered free houses, and many have turned them down and still choose to live in a hotel.

Conventional wisdom is the enemy of thought.
Poll: Who is the most hated contributor to this site?

"Somewhere a place for us" - very moving memorial service for the Grenfell on 18:48 - Dec 14 with 6408 viewsRyorry

"Somewhere a place for us" - very moving memorial service for the Grenfell on 14:30 - Dec 14 by GlasgowBlue

Where would they build it? Would cutting red tape be advisable on light of safety concerns over Grenfell. I would imagine they will be very careful with any new build for the survivors rather than going gung ho with all the best will in the world.

I meant on planning permission & the usual associated bureaucracy, not on safety issues, obviously!

"Somewhere a place for us" - very moving memorial service for the Grenfell on 19:34 - Dec 14 with 6384 viewscrunchie1978

"Somewhere a place for us" - very moving memorial service for the Grenfell on 14:53 - Dec 14 by Guthrum

If your home in Ipswich burnt down (through no fault of your own) and the replacement offered was in Norwich - far from friends, family and job - would you be inclined to accept?

Ipswich to Norwich is 45miles....by all accounts some have been offered 1-2 miles away max....and turned them down....so I think your question is somewhat out of context..and if MY house burnt down....i wouldn't be offered a new one.
"Somewhere a place for us" - very moving memorial service for the Grenfell on 19:37 - Dec 14 with 6379 viewscrunchie1978

"Somewhere a place for us" - very moving memorial service for the Grenfell on 15:29 - Dec 14 by factual_blue

If only there were large empty houses in the vicinity...

Blame the government they should have a back up empty high rise tower block lined up...500yards away.....poor planning.
(No subject) on 19:50 - Dec 14 with 6366 viewsLord_Lucan

(No subject) on 13:44 - Dec 14 by lowhouseblue

my point, in response to ryorry, was that quite a lot is actually being done. i didn't say that it's wrong to do this.
[Post edited 14 Dec 2017 13:54]

I don’t claim to be an expert on Greenfell but have loosely read and heard a bit about it. What everyone appears to be missing (or too light footed to mention) is that the affected have probably been offered more than adequate replacements but in light of the situation are holding out for a forever dream home - and I don’t blame them.

Human nature - look after your family and get what you can.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

"Somewhere a place for us" - very moving memorial service for the Grenfell on 21:13 - Dec 14 with 6324 viewsRyorry

"Somewhere a place for us" - very moving memorial service for the Grenfell on 19:37 - Dec 14 by crunchie1978

Blame the government they should have a back up empty high rise tower block lined up...500yards away.....poor planning.

Why bother replying to any thread if you don't bother to read what anyone's said.

Please save yourself the trouble of replying.

"Somewhere a place for us" - very moving memorial service for the Grenfell on 21:34 - Dec 14 with 6311 viewsBloomBlue

"Somewhere a place for us" - very moving memorial service for the Grenfell on 13:19 - Dec 14 by Reuser_is_God

Many have refused the homes offered
"Somewhere a place for us" - very moving memorial service for the Grenfell on 23:16 - Dec 14 with 6264 viewscrunchie1978

"Somewhere a place for us" - very moving memorial service for the Grenfell on 21:13 - Dec 14 by Ryorry

Why bother replying to any thread if you don't bother to read what anyone's said.

Please save yourself the trouble of replying.

Lol
"Somewhere a place for us" - very moving memorial service for the Grenfell on 06:59 - Dec 15 with 6211 viewstcblue

"Somewhere a place for us" - very moving memorial service for the Grenfell on 19:34 - Dec 14 by crunchie1978

Ipswich to Norwich is 45miles....by all accounts some have been offered 1-2 miles away max....and turned them down....so I think your question is somewhat out of context..and if MY house burnt down....i wouldn't be offered a new one.

1-2 miles away is a big deal here mate, and again, why don't you think about why the Kensington council want to take an opportunity on the back of this tragedy to shift working class brown people out of their community?

At best, this is gentrification. But I would go a bit further and - given the fact the council knew about the risk the cladding posed - describe this as social cleansing.
"Somewhere a place for us" - very moving memorial service for the Grenfell on 07:45 - Dec 15 with 6189 viewsGlasgowBlue

"Somewhere a place for us" - very moving memorial service for the Grenfell on 06:59 - Dec 15 by tcblue

1-2 miles away is a big deal here mate, and again, why don't you think about why the Kensington council want to take an opportunity on the back of this tragedy to shift working class brown people out of their community?

At best, this is gentrification. But I would go a bit further and - given the fact the council knew about the risk the cladding posed - describe this as social cleansing.

That last claim is appalling. Since Grenfell it was found Tower blocks in Labour boroughs had the same cladding. It was a dreadful tragedy. To claim otherwise is really low.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

"Somewhere a place for us" - very moving memorial service for the Grenfell on 08:48 - Dec 15 with 6178 viewstcblue

"Somewhere a place for us" - very moving memorial service for the Grenfell on 07:45 - Dec 15 by GlasgowBlue

That last claim is appalling. Since Grenfell it was found Tower blocks in Labour boroughs had the same cladding. It was a dreadful tragedy. To claim otherwise is really low.

Why are you making this political? The local government in Kensington is Labour held FFS.

I'm not claiming that it wasn't a tragedy, all I'm saying is that it was preventable and it wasn't, and I can't see past the fact that it would have been FAR more likely to have been prevented had it not been low income social housing in a very affluent area. The actions of the council's now in trying to relocate the former residents outside the borough is, well what would you call it?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024