Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Motty's final commentary 11:24 - Mar 9 with 2648 viewshype313

Real end of an era for me, growing up he was the sound of Football.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Motty's final commentary on 11:32 - Mar 9 with 2626 viewseastwell_blue

which shows how poor the coverage was. His commentaries seem to consist of shouting 'it's a goal' & 'good save'. He has nothing original to say and gives the impression he knows little about the game. Should have been laid out to grass years ago. But the BBC loves to invent a 'national treasure' and no doubt we'll be subjected to yet another love-fest.
Motty's final commentary on 11:35 - Mar 9 with 2627 viewsSteve_M

Yes, he was a major part of my youth but he should have retired about 15 years ago. He now struggles to tell what is happening without seeing a replay and resorts to quoting stats that aren't particularly relevant to what is in front of him.

It's a curious failing of British sports broadcasting that individuals are fetishised long after they are any good.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Motty's final commentary on 11:41 - Mar 9 with 2620 viewsRadlett_blue

Motty's final commentary on 11:32 - Mar 9 by eastwell_blue

which shows how poor the coverage was. His commentaries seem to consist of shouting 'it's a goal' & 'good save'. He has nothing original to say and gives the impression he knows little about the game. Should have been laid out to grass years ago. But the BBC loves to invent a 'national treasure' and no doubt we'll be subjected to yet another love-fest.

Totally agree. He's like the irritating, nerdy fan next to you who either shrieks with excitement or quotes irrelevant statistics. Some of his obviously pre-rehearsed one liners were cringeworthy e.g. "Zico, a player who has sold more dummies than Mothercare" etc etc.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Motty's final commentary on 11:58 - Mar 9 with 2600 viewsblueislander

Motty's final commentary on 11:41 - Mar 9 by Radlett_blue

Totally agree. He's like the irritating, nerdy fan next to you who either shrieks with excitement or quotes irrelevant statistics. Some of his obviously pre-rehearsed one liners were cringeworthy e.g. "Zico, a player who has sold more dummies than Mothercare" etc etc.

But as an alumni of Culford School, he has always had a leaning towards Town.
Motty's final commentary on 12:07 - Mar 9 with 2586 viewsbrazil1982

Well, I like him and even got his autograph in 1986/87 when he was in Churchman's scouting us for the forthcoming Man Utd FA Cup tie on TV.

Wow what a memory!
Motty's final commentary on 12:15 - Mar 9 with 2573 viewsRadlett_blue

Motty's final commentary on 11:35 - Mar 9 by Steve_M

Yes, he was a major part of my youth but he should have retired about 15 years ago. He now struggles to tell what is happening without seeing a replay and resorts to quoting stats that aren't particularly relevant to what is in front of him.

It's a curious failing of British sports broadcasting that individuals are fetishised long after they are any good.

It's an unwritten rule that no BBC commentator is allowed to retire until at least 10 years after their sell by date. e.g:
Peter O'Sullevan - had been getting the names of the horses wrong consistently & wanted to have the finish at the furlong pole.
Bill McLaren - became a parody of himself in his last few years.
Dan Maskell - had the sense to see that he was becoming an old stuffed shirt & hung up his microphone at 83.
Peter Alliss - was a superb commentator years ago, but now doesn't know more than a handful of the top golfers.
Don't get me wrong - all of these people were excellent in their heyday.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Motty's final commentary on 12:18 - Mar 9 with 2567 viewsmonty_radio

Seems a decent enough fellow, but I always thought the Beeb's decision to push him ahead of Barry Davies was strange.

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

Motty's final commentary on 12:21 - Mar 9 with 2555 viewswkj

For better or worse Motson was the torch holder for my footballing youth as well, though I must agree on the point that he should have hung it up a long long time ago.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Login to get fewer ads

Motty's final commentary on 12:46 - Mar 9 with 2520 viewsuefacup81

Motty's final commentary on 12:18 - Mar 9 by monty_radio

Seems a decent enough fellow, but I always thought the Beeb's decision to push him ahead of Barry Davies was strange.

Barry Davies was always miles ahead of Motty - he was always happy to let the football do the talking, whereas Motty always had to be saying something.

Case in point:

Poll: Predictions for tonight?

Motty's final commentary on 14:18 - Mar 9 with 2447 viewsIllinoisblue

Motty's final commentary on 12:46 - Mar 9 by uefacup81

Barry Davies was always miles ahead of Motty - he was always happy to let the football do the talking, whereas Motty always had to be saying something.

Case in point:

also: Where were the Germans? Frankly, who cares.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Motty's final commentary on 14:33 - Mar 9 with 2429 viewssolemio

Motty's final commentary on 12:18 - Mar 9 by monty_radio

I certainly think that Barry Davies was one of the best commentators, not just on football but also on tennis and rowing. A very intelligent man.
Motty's final commentary on 14:36 - Mar 9 with 2426 viewschicoazul

Motty's final commentary on 14:33 - Mar 9 by solemio

I certainly think that Barry Davies was one of the best commentators, not just on football but also on tennis and rowing. A very intelligent man.

Barry was the GOAT

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024