Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
To people comparing this start v Keane 2009/10....... 17:45 - Oct 5 with 2014 viewsCurrie10

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009%E2%80%9310_Ipswich_Town_F.C._season

First off, look at that squad.

Some quality championship players in there.

Sure, it was a mess at the start - but for one second did I think we'd go down? No.

If Keane had gotten the sack, the new manager had plenty to work with.

Evans was new, and would have spent again in January to ensure survival. We were one of the bigger spenders in the league back then, that contained Scunthorpe/ Peterborough / Plymouth.

I'm sure we'd have loaned various quality in January if struggling.

Compared with this seasons squad - we're already in a mess with loanees tied up etc!

We're an injury away from Jackson to an utter crisis at striker.....

I just think this season we'll do bloody well by any means possible to survive.
To people comparing this start v Keane 2009/10....... on 18:01 - Oct 5 with 1964 viewsSuperblue95

That squad of players looks considerably better on paper than the majority of them ever did on the pitch

My hobbies include being quiet during trips, clapping with songs, and diabetes.
Poll: Englands player of the tournament

To people comparing this start v Keane 2009/10....... on 18:20 - Oct 5 with 1923 viewsBlueBadger

To people comparing this start v Keane 2009/10....... on 18:01 - Oct 5 by Superblue95

That squad of players looks considerably better on paper than the majority of them ever did on the pitch

Take Martin, Edwards and Martin out of it and it's a real good 'un.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

To people comparing this start v Keane 2009/10....... on 19:09 - Oct 5 with 1881 viewsSuperblue95

To people comparing this start v Keane 2009/10....... on 18:20 - Oct 5 by BlueBadger

Take Martin, Edwards and Martin out of it and it's a real good 'un.

Don't forget Martin

To people comparing this start v Keane 2009/10....... on 19:14 - Oct 5 with 1872 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Except this was the actual season and actual squad:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012—13_Ipswich_Town_F.C._season

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

To people comparing this start v Keane 2009/10....... on 19:16 - Oct 5 with 1860 viewsCoco

And we'd just signed Rory Fallon to fire us to safety!

#SellUpMarcusEvans #LambertOUT // Sent from my iphone - which explains all the felling spuck ups
Poll: When we're finally freed from Mick McCarthy would you like to see Burley as DoF?

To people comparing this start v Keane 2009/10....... on 19:17 - Oct 5 with 1858 viewsSuperblue95

To people comparing this start v Keane 2009/10....... on 19:14 - Oct 5 by Nthsuffolkblue

We broke our Watford hoodoo in our second game that season under Jewell. We didn't win another game until Mick took over

To people comparing this start v Keane 2009/10....... on 19:34 - Oct 5 with 1836 viewsCurrie10

To people comparing this start v Keane 2009/10....... on 19:14 - Oct 5 by Nthsuffolkblue

Well no, I'm comparing Hurst v Keane!

If you want to go down the Jewell road, then there are some good players in that squad also.
To people comparing this start v Keane 2009/10....... on 19:42 - Oct 5 with 1818 viewsBlueBadger

To people comparing this start v Keane 2009/10....... on 19:09 - Oct 5 by Superblue95

Don't forget Martin

I wanted people to be sure that he's crap.
[Post edited 5 Oct 2018 22:58]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Login to get fewer ads

To people comparing this start v Keane 2009/10....... on 20:21 - Oct 5 with 1771 viewsNthsuffolkblue

To people comparing this start v Keane 2009/10....... on 19:34 - Oct 5 by Currie10

Well no, I'm comparing Hurst v Keane!

If you want to go down the Jewell road, then there are some good players in that squad also.

7 points from 13 games when Mick took over.

Scott Loach first choice keeper until MM loaned Henderson for half a season.
MM brought McGoldrick and Murphy in on loan.

I am not sure anyone at the time would have rated that squad any higher than our current squad would be rated right now.

I maintain what we need is organisation and I am beginning to think Hurst might not be the man to offer it.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

To people comparing this start v Keane 2009/10....... on 06:48 - Oct 6 with 1594 viewsCurrie10

To people comparing this start v Keane 2009/10....... on 20:21 - Oct 5 by Nthsuffolkblue

I am not sure anyone at the time would have rated that squad any higher than our current squad would be rated right now.

I maintain what we need is organisation and I am beginning to think Hurst might not be the man to offer it.

Erm I’m not comparing this season with jewell, squad mick inherited.....

I am this season v Keane
To people comparing this start v Keane 2009/10....... on 07:05 - Oct 6 with 1581 viewsBenters2

To people comparing this start v Keane 2009/10....... on 06:48 - Oct 6 by Currie10

Erm I’m not comparing this season with jewell, squad mick inherited.....

I am this season v Keane

The law of TWTD states rule no 39393uu4t5 you cannot compare Keane with Hurst UNLESS Jewell is mentioned.

See also Bobby Robson started poorly and the fans wanted him out etc..
To people comparing this start v Keane 2009/10....... on 07:15 - Oct 6 with 1574 viewsjas0999

We were also playing some very good teams at the start as well. Newcastle, Middlesboro and WBA away.

We also looked like winning games. I remember the Watford game, we battered them. Hit the post two times. Very unlucky.
To people comparing this start v Keane 2009/10....... on 07:21 - Oct 6 with 1564 viewsgt81

To people comparing this start v Keane 2009/10....... on 07:15 - Oct 6 by jas0999

We were also playing some very good teams at the start as well. Newcastle, Middlesboro and WBA away.

We also looked like winning games. I remember the Watford game, we battered them. Hit the post two times. Very unlucky.

Am I right in remembering that we also conceded shed loads of late goals under Keane that turned wins into draws, and some draws into defeats?
To people comparing this start v Keane 2009/10....... on 07:27 - Oct 6 with 1554 viewsBenters2

To people comparing this start v Keane 2009/10....... on 07:21 - Oct 6 by gt81

Am I right in remembering that we also conceded shed loads of late goals under Keane that turned wins into draws, and some draws into defeats?

That is correct.
To people comparing this start v Keane 2009/10....... on 07:42 - Oct 6 with 1537 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

To people comparing this start v Keane 2009/10....... on 20:21 - Oct 5 by Nthsuffolkblue

Tend to agree - the squad under Jewell was a mess and we were in real trouble then too

However, there was a key difference then in that you could loan players during the season, so Mick was able to come in and get some players in pretty quickly. Not possible now - so we’re stuck with the current bunch until January, which is worrying

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

To people comparing this start v Keane 2009/10....... on 07:43 - Oct 6 with 1533 viewsgt81

To people comparing this start v Keane 2009/10....... on 07:27 - Oct 6 by Benters2

That is correct.

I thought so.

We lacked the mental fortitude at the time to see games out, had we done so, we'd have been a good side results wise under Keane.

Difference between Keane and Hurst if people are going to make the comparison is that we did get into winning positions under Keane, at least initially, but that looks to be elusive under Hurst.
To people comparing this start v Keane 2009/10....... on 07:51 - Oct 6 with 1521 viewsBenters2

To people comparing this start v Keane 2009/10....... on 07:43 - Oct 6 by gt81

I thought so.

We lacked the mental fortitude at the time to see games out, had we done so, we'd have been a good side results wise under Keane.

Difference between Keane and Hurst if people are going to make the comparison is that we did get into winning positions under Keane, at least initially, but that looks to be elusive under Hurst.

Yeah i was a season ticket holder back then,i remember standing there freezing my nuts off keen as mustard waiting for the first win.
To people comparing this start v Keane 2009/10....... on 08:01 - Oct 6 with 1499 viewsBenters2

Its almost unbelievable Geoff that after all those years we took Walters back.
To people comparing this start v Keane 2009/10....... on 09:23 - Oct 6 with 1446 viewssparks

To people comparing this start v Keane 2009/10....... on 07:51 - Oct 6 by Benters2

Yeah i was a season ticket holder back then,i remember standing there freezing my nuts off keen as mustard waiting for the first win.

The main difference is that Keane started with a much stronger group of players and was given significant funds, which he wasted. And then he fell out with some of our best players to the detriment of the side.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

To people comparing this start v Keane 2009/10....... on 09:34 - Oct 6 with 1434 viewsSuperblue95

To people comparing this start v Keane 2009/10....... on 07:15 - Oct 6 by jas0999

Nathan Ellingtons first goal in years came in that game. It also turned out to be his last in professional football
[Post edited 6 Oct 2018 9:34]

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024