Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Panic over... 09:46 - Mar 7 with 5209 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

....only one new case in China outside the quarantined zones!

....so much about this whole thing fails the sniff test!

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Panic over... on 09:57 - Mar 7 with 3264 viewsGuthrum

In what way does it 'fail the sniff test'? For one thing, a single-day sample is not representative of ongoing trends.

Historically, disease epidemics always declined after a time, due to the emergence of new, less infectious (or less lethal) strains, growth of natural immunity, seasonal temperature change, or simply running out of viable hosts.

With the initial outbreak contained in Wuhan and careful precautions elsewhere in the country, there is perfectly good reasons why infection rates would decline. However, we currently lack evidence to say whether they have peaked in any of the other hotspots, or regions where the situation is just developing (e.g. the UK).
[Post edited 7 Mar 2020 10:03]

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Panic over... on 10:01 - Mar 7 with 3244 viewsPecker

There are people in this and other countries with genuine health problems that this virus could seriously effect, if not kill. I really do not think it is big or clever of people to make stupid statements. Panic, NO. Make light of, NO. Be sensible, Yes.
Panic over... on 10:05 - Mar 7 with 3222 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Panic over... on 09:57 - Mar 7 by Guthrum

In what way does it 'fail the sniff test'? For one thing, a single-day sample is not representative of ongoing trends.

Historically, disease epidemics always declined after a time, due to the emergence of new, less infectious (or less lethal) strains, growth of natural immunity, seasonal temperature change, or simply running out of viable hosts.

With the initial outbreak contained in Wuhan and careful precautions elsewhere in the country, there is perfectly good reasons why infection rates would decline. However, we currently lack evidence to say whether they have peaked in any of the other hotspots, or regions where the situation is just developing (e.g. the UK).

The current trend would suggest that the world bar China will succumb... one new case among a population of billions...there's state control and then there's state control!

Panic over... on 10:08 - Mar 7 with 3204 viewsOxford_Blue

I think hell will freeze over before I listen you over medical professionals and the WHO.
Panic over... on 10:13 - Mar 7 with 3184 viewsEly_Blue

Panic over... on 10:01 - Mar 7 by Pecker

There are people in this and other countries with genuine health problems that this virus could seriously effect, if not kill. I really do not think it is big or clever of people to make stupid statements. Panic, NO. Make light of, NO. Be sensible, Yes.

Ah you mean in the same way that flu kills thousands every year?

I dont see people panicking about the hundreds of thousands of people who are in the same situation with health problems for a virus that we have a vaccine for

https://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=208914

Poll: Will you still buy a Season Ticket for next year in league 1

Panic over... on 10:15 - Mar 7 with 3168 viewsGuthrum

Panic over... on 10:05 - Mar 7 by BanksterDebtSlave

The current trend would suggest that the world bar China will succumb... one new case among a population of billions...there's state control and then there's state control!

But bear in mind they're a month or two ahead of us in the progress of this disease. Also that they have still had vastly more cases and deaths than the rest of the world put together.

It could well be less something dodgy and more a preview of the pattern Covid-19 will take in other places.

There are understood to be at least four different strains now, active in different regions, with different infection and lethality rates. And some evidence the faster-spreading milder ones may be conferring immunity to the most dangerous.

The one place we're not getting accurate data from (or much at all) is Iran, which could be dangerous as an incubator and centre for further infection.

Panic over... on 10:17 - Mar 7 with 3151 viewsGuthrum

Panic over... on 10:13 - Mar 7 by Ely_Blue

I dont see people panicking about the hundreds of thousands of people who are in the same situation with health problems for a virus that we have a vaccine for

The point is, because we do not yet have an effective treatment or vaccine for Covid-19, it has the potential to run much more out of control than Influenza. Plus infection and lethality rates are generally higher in C-19 than 'Flu.

Panic over... on 10:19 - Mar 7 with 3140 viewsjeera

He's literally just said this: " Panic, NO. Make light of, NO. Be sensible, Yes."

Which is perfectly right.

But I don't why people are still repeating the flu comparison as though it's new news.

It's been repeated a thousand times and doesn't have any more of an impact saying it again. Besides that, this virus isn't the flu and whether people wish to ignore it or not, it is spreading at an alarming rate.

Efforts to contain it are worldwide and governments are putting in the effort with good reason. If nothing else it's not exactly good for the economy to have another common place illness alongside the common cold and the flu, if it were to take hold and be a stayer.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Login to get fewer ads

Panic over... on 10:19 - Mar 7 with 3140 viewssparks

Here we go with the ridiculous, vague " I know something conspiratorial that you sheep havent thought about" innuendo.

Particularise what "fails the sniff test" and what you mean by "sniff test", with facts or evidence please.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Panic over... on 10:22 - Mar 7 with 3119 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Panic over... on 10:19 - Mar 7 by sparks

Here we go with the ridiculous, vague " I know something conspiratorial that you sheep havent thought about" innuendo.

Particularise what "fails the sniff test" and what you mean by "sniff test", with facts or evidence please.

One new case in China outside the quarantine zone is what fails the sniff test!

Edit...interesting use of quotation marks!
[Post edited 7 Mar 2020 10:23]

Panic over... on 10:30 - Mar 7 with 3063 viewsGuthrum

As of today, China has had 78.9% of worldwide known cases and 87.9% of fatalities from the disease.

Panic over... on 10:30 - Mar 7 with 3062 viewssparks

Panic over... on 10:22 - Mar 7 by BanksterDebtSlave

You havent even attempted what I asked.

What do you mean by "sniff test"?

What facts are your relying on? (and where does this one new case thing even come from- take a look at the BBC feed this morning)

What does it mean to "fail the sniff test"

Your comments are clearly meant to imply that there is some conspiracy here- that people are being told something which is innaccurate, or there is more to this than meets the eye. What is it you are actually suggesting? Or are you just throwing out unfounded innuendo as usual?
[Post edited 7 Mar 2020 10:37]

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)

Panic over... on 10:32 - Mar 7 with 3061 viewsurbanblue

Panic over... on 10:22 - Mar 7 by BanksterDebtSlave

I spoke to a Doctor friend who feels that the reason the virus appears to be under control in China is that they have been using extreme methods to prevent it spreading. Methods that would not be tolerated by the public in Western countries.

We've all seen the clips.

Just saying
Panic over... on 10:35 - Mar 7 with 3031 viewsPippin1970

Just use the sun newspaper or daily mirror it's full of .... anyway.
[Post edited 7 Mar 2020 10:36]
Panic over... on 11:20 - Mar 7 with 2933 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Panic over... on 10:30 - Mar 7 by sparks

You havent even attempted what I asked.

What do you mean by "sniff test"?

What facts are your relying on? (and where does this one new case thing even come from- take a look at the BBC feed this morning)

What does it mean to "fail the sniff test"

Your comments are clearly meant to imply that there is some conspiracy here- that people are being told something which is innaccurate, or there is more to this than meets the eye. What is it you are actually suggesting? Or are you just throwing out unfounded innuendo as usual?
[Post edited 7 Mar 2020 10:37]

It means I don't automatically trust Chinese state media.
The one case outside the quarantine zone was stated by a BBC reporter live from Beijing this morning.

Panic over... on 11:24 - Mar 7 with 2928 viewsStokieBlue

What a total load of nonsense.

It's tiresome when you continually post veiled comments about the world and nations and then never bother to actually make a proper point or present any evidence.

It's conspiratorial nonsense Debster - if you took a step back you'd see that.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Panic over... on 11:25 - Mar 7 with 2917 viewsStokieBlue

The reporting of cases is essentially nothing like the real position. Testing is slow and lags 14 days behind the actual infection. They are also barely testing anyone, most people are just told to stay at home and don't get tested.

SB

Panic over... on 11:27 - Mar 7 with 2908 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Panic over... on 11:24 - Mar 7 by StokieBlue

What a total load of nonsense.

It's tiresome when you continually post veiled comments about the world and nations and then never bother to actually make a proper point or present any evidence.

It's conspiratorial nonsense Debster - if you took a step back you'd see that.

SB

So you swallow all Chinese state media proclomations on the Uighur Muslims Stokie...?
Or have you just presumed to know what it was I was implying ?

Panic over... on 11:27 - Mar 7 with 2907 viewsStokieBlue

The flu comparison is false, as has been shown in many articles but it keeps getting pushed.

This has a higher mortality rate and a higher r0. The whole point is to stop it infecting as many people as flu because if it does then far more people will die than from flu.

Pushing this point all the time is unhelpful and misleading.

SB

Panic over... on 11:29 - Mar 7 with 2900 viewsStokieBlue

Panic over... on 11:27 - Mar 7 by BanksterDebtSlave

So you swallow all Chinese state media proclomations on the Uighur Muslims Stokie...?
Or have you just presumed to know what it was I was implying ?

Perhaps if you didn't always post vague and veiled one-liners people would actually know what you meant?

At least 4 other posters didn't understand either so perhaps look at your own posting style rather than judge others?

I would argue your last line implies something totally different to what you are saying now.

SB
[Post edited 7 Mar 2020 11:30]

Panic over... on 11:32 - Mar 7 with 2879 viewsGuthrum

Panic over... on 11:20 - Mar 7 by BanksterDebtSlave

The one case outside the quarantine zone was stated by a BBC reporter live from Beijing this morning.

Are you thinking they are over- or under-reporting? If the latter, then that is possibly understandable, tho they got into hot water over doing that with SARS and the regime is keen not to provoke unrest by lying too obviously. If the former, that would merely do even more damage to their economy, which is suffering more than most from this outbreak.

Panic over... on 11:38 - Mar 7 with 2843 viewssparks

Panic over... on 11:20 - Mar 7 by BanksterDebtSlave

None of us trust the state media in China.

If that is the limit of your point, then why not just say "But of course we cant trust the chinese state media" rather than cryptic innuendo, which was clearly intended to suggest something more.

Panic over... on 11:44 - Mar 7 with 2816 viewsOxford_Blue

Flu is less contagious and the death rate is about 0.1%.
Panic over... on 11:45 - Mar 7 with 2811 viewsOxford_Blue

Panic over... on 09:57 - Mar 7 by Guthrum

I wouldn’t waste your time asking intelligent questions.
Panic over... on 11:47 - Mar 7 with 2798 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Panic over... on 11:29 - Mar 7 by StokieBlue

Perhaps if you didn't always post vague and veiled one-liners people would actually know what you meant?

At least 4 other posters didn't understand either so perhaps look at your own posting style rather than judge others?

I would argue your last line implies something totally different to what you are saying now.

SB
[Post edited 7 Mar 2020 11:30]

It's lucky you and the other 4 aren't scientists allowing your preconceived notions affect your observations.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024