Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Belgian League looks like the first to abandon the season 13:21 - Apr 2 with 1048 viewsElderGrizzly

Belgian League looks like the first to abandon the season on 13:27 - Apr 2 with 1015 viewsSwansea_Blue

Good. It's the sensible option and will hopefully lead to other countries following suit. It'll be messy and extremely lucrative for lawyers to sort out the money issues, but some of then options delaying until later in the year would have created more problems than they'd have solved.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Belgian League looks like the first to abandon the season on 13:30 - Apr 2 with 1000 viewsElderGrizzly

Belgian League looks like the first to abandon the season on 13:27 - Apr 2 by Swansea_Blue

Good. It's the sensible option and will hopefully lead to other countries following suit. It'll be messy and extremely lucrative for lawyers to sort out the money issues, but some of then options delaying until later in the year would have created more problems than they'd have solved.

Agree. This is about money and lawyers will have a field day.

If media is to be believed and the Premier League has to pay back £750m if the season is cancelled, then it is going to get incredibly nasty
Belgian League looks like the first to abandon the season on 13:34 - Apr 2 with 980 viewsJ2BLUE

Belgian League looks like the first to abandon the season on 13:30 - Apr 2 by ElderGrizzly

If media is to be believed and the Premier League has to pay back £750m if the season is cancelled, then it is going to get incredibly nasty

I don't see why people are so desperate for the season to get cancelled. If they could use the world cup style idea in June and the first half of July it would be much better for everyone involved and give the players another mini break before the start of next season.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Belgian League looks like the first to abandon the season on on 13:38 - Apr 2 with 956 viewsElderGrizzly

Belgian League looks like the first to abandon the season on 13:34 - Apr 2 by J2BLUE

I don't see why people are so desperate for the season to get cancelled. If they could use the world cup style idea in June and the first half of July it would be much better for everyone involved and give the players another mini break before the start of next season.

Because the thirst for money is overriding the health concerns

Even behind closed doors, the number of people required to put on a game is significant, even before you get to the number of support staff required at the clubs during the week to get the team ready.

Can anyone really see a game taking place before September?
[Post edited 2 Apr 2020 13:41]
Belgian League looks like the first to abandon the season on 13:46 - Apr 2 with 909 viewsRadlett_blue

Belgian League looks like the first to abandon the season on 13:30 - Apr 2 by ElderGrizzly

Whether the 2019-20 season is completed or not, fixtures are going to be lost from either this season or the next one. This will inevitably have large financial consequences as the broadcasters won't want to pay for matches that haven't taken place. Hence some of the enthusiasm for the fanciful idea of behind closed doors matches. As revenue from the PL & the Champions' League is such big bucks, much of which has probably already been spent or committed to by the clubs, no wonder the clubs & broadcasters will be assembling highly paid teams of lawyers. And I suppose this is one reason why the PL is stalling on wage cuts or deferrals for players, however immoral that looks. The only sensible approach is for broadcasters, clubs & players to agree to share the pain, but when such large sums are involved and so many parties with different agendas, it's going to be very difficult.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Belgian League looks like the first to abandon the season on on 14:20 - Apr 2 with 856 viewsJ2BLUE

Belgian League looks like the first to abandon the season on on 13:38 - Apr 2 by ElderGrizzly

Even behind closed doors, the number of people required to put on a game is significant, even before you get to the number of support staff required at the clubs during the week to get the team ready.

If it becomes obvious the number of cases and deaths are decreasing and pressure is easing on the NHS then yes I can see games being played in a world cup format. Obviously it would take a lot of planning and resources but as long as those resources aren't being taken from essential services who need them more then I don't see why it can't be done.

It would have a massive boost on mental health for millions of people who will be going crazy by then. It would seem to be the best solution for all involved.

Obviously the biggest factor is whether the players, management teams and official are happy to do it. I'm sure there would be some sort of isolation camp before it all kicked off. I would imagine the likes of Liverpool would be all in favour and the likes of West Ham would kick off massively.

The season needs to finish IMO, even if that means resuming in September and cutting next season short.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Belgian League looks like the first to abandon the season on 14:29 - Apr 2 with 824 viewsFPL_Tractor

Belgian League looks like the first to abandon the season on 13:27 - Apr 2 by Swansea_Blue

A point of pedantry here. The Belgian league is one game from completion. They then have play offs. Essentially they’ve ditched the play offs and based everything on 29/30 league games. I’m not sure this sets a precedent for many other leagues.

For more ITFC chat and some fantasy football mutterings follow me on twitter @fpl_tractor.

Belgian League looks like the first to abandon the season on on 14:58 - Apr 2 with 784 viewsElderGrizzly

Belgian League looks like the first to abandon the season on on 14:20 - Apr 2 by J2BLUE

If it becomes obvious the number of cases and deaths are decreasing and pressure is easing on the NHS then yes I can see games being played in a world cup format. Obviously it would take a lot of planning and resources but as long as those resources aren't being taken from essential services who need them more then I don't see why it can't be done.

It would have a massive boost on mental health for millions of people who will be going crazy by then. It would seem to be the best solution for all involved.

Obviously the biggest factor is whether the players, management teams and official are happy to do it. I'm sure there would be some sort of isolation camp before it all kicked off. I would imagine the likes of Liverpool would be all in favour and the likes of West Ham would kick off massively.

The season needs to finish IMO, even if that means resuming in September and cutting next season short.

The Belgian League reason given is:

“The league says even games in empty stadiums would put stress on public health and security services dealing with the pandemic. It agreed the risk of infecting players would also damage the competition’s integrity”

This was with an assumption of no games until July and even those would be behind closed doors.
Login to get fewer ads

Belgian League looks like the first to abandon the season on 15:00 - Apr 2 with 780 viewsElderGrizzly

Belgian League looks like the first to abandon the season on 14:29 - Apr 2 by FPL_Tractor

A point of pedantry here. The Belgian league is one game from completion. They then have play offs. Essentially they’ve ditched the play offs and based everything on 29/30 league games. I’m not sure this sets a precedent for many other leagues.

Appreciate that, but there are still relegation and other important league positions to be determined through that.

I can see our choice being between the season voided or season ended with positions as they are now
Belgian League looks like the first to abandon the season on on 15:06 - Apr 2 with 764 viewsitfcjoe

Belgian League looks like the first to abandon the season on on 13:38 - Apr 2 by ElderGrizzly

I don't see why starting next season should take priority over finishing this season - whether it be in June or September

At some point, it will be safe to play football again - at that point this season should be finished

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Belgian League looks like the first to abandon the season on on 15:18 - Apr 2 with 738 viewsElderGrizzly

Belgian League looks like the first to abandon the season on on 15:06 - Apr 2 by itfcjoe

I don't see why starting next season should take priority over finishing this season - whether it be in June or September

At some point, it will be safe to play football again - at that point this season should be finished

Because no-one knows when that will be and at some point contracts will need to come into play.

All player contracts are up on June 30th? Do you impose global extensions on everyone? There would be significant legal challenges from agents/players

Sometimes the best answer is to press reset to give all certainty and treat everyone the same as the impact of Coronavirus on health at clubs will be very different.
[Post edited 2 Apr 2020 15:19]
Belgian League looks like the first to abandon the season on on 15:34 - Apr 2 with 702 viewsitfcjoe

Belgian League looks like the first to abandon the season on on 15:18 - Apr 2 by ElderGrizzly

Because no-one knows when that will be and at some point contracts will need to come into play.

All player contracts are up on June 30th? Do you impose global extensions on everyone? There would be significant legal challenges from agents/players

Sometimes the best answer is to press reset to give all certainty and treat everyone the same as the impact of Coronavirus on health at clubs will be very different.
[Post edited 2 Apr 2020 15:19]

But that means that out of contract will players will be without a club for weeks on end as no business can be conducted until we are ready to start again.

Surely extending contracts until the end of the season on a rolling basis is fine? It's not like they are able to sign anywhere else and is only carrying them on for the period they had signed up for in footballing terms (this season)

I just don't see how ending it gives any more certainty for the future

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Belgian League looks like the first to abandon the season on on 18:33 - Apr 2 with 632 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Belgian League looks like the first to abandon the season on on 15:34 - Apr 2 by itfcjoe

But that means that out of contract will players will be without a club for weeks on end as no business can be conducted until we are ready to start again.

Surely extending contracts until the end of the season on a rolling basis is fine? It's not like they are able to sign anywhere else and is only carrying them on for the period they had signed up for in footballing terms (this season)

I just don't see how ending it gives any more certainty for the future

That will only work one way though, not a chance clubs are going to agree to extend contracts of players on large salaries that are surplus to requirements

Also whilst I can see the logic in thinking this season should be finished, if that means playing games in September and beyond why ruin two seasons rather than one? Especially when completing this one is likely to be something of a mess anyway

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Belgian League looks like the first to abandon the season on on 18:42 - Apr 2 with 622 viewsRadlett_blue

Belgian League looks like the first to abandon the season on on 18:33 - Apr 2 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

That will only work one way though, not a chance clubs are going to agree to extend contracts of players on large salaries that are surplus to requirements

Also whilst I can see the logic in thinking this season should be finished, if that means playing games in September and beyond why ruin two seasons rather than one? Especially when completing this one is likely to be something of a mess anyway

If Town were top of the league, you might be thinking differently. Town robbed of promotion & Norwich saved from relegation...

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024