Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Mutate or die! 13:28 - May 6 with 4147 viewshomer_123

I think this was covered yesterday? But all the same, some interesting research on the mutations of Covid.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-52557955

Hundreds of mutations have already been identified...that's quite astonishing. The US group research implies the virus could become more infectious and potentially more severe. Though worth noting their research hasn't been peer reviewed and published.

Other research suggests this isn't mutating at a faster or slower pace than expected.

Finally, there is nothing stopping it mutating to a point that it kills itself or becomes much harder to transmit etc.
[Post edited 6 May 2020 13:28]

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Mutate or die! on 14:08 - May 6 with 4090 viewsNotSure

Difficult to predict how it will mutate but the 2nd wave of Spanish flu in 1918 was far more deadly. And there was no lockdown for the 1st wave.

In 6 months time we all might be wishing we had caught this virus in April.
Mutate or die! on 18:51 - May 6 with 4014 viewsmonytowbray

Mutate or die! on 14:08 - May 6 by NotSure

Difficult to predict how it will mutate but the 2nd wave of Spanish flu in 1918 was far more deadly. And there was no lockdown for the 1st wave.

From what I read of one theory the second wave was More severe as the stronger version spread more than the weak one. Traditionally those with a lighter strain are less ill and move about whilst heavier strains knock you out and reduce the chance to spread. However this was during WW1 and the opposite was true - those with the heavier strains were moved from the battlegrounds and those well enough to fight stay put.

Of course we have limited idea on what the next spike may look like, and that’s why the country won’t magically open overnight we’d hope.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Mutate or die! on 21:34 - May 6 with 3946 viewsN2_Blue

why have you bolded the words? Is it necessary?

You always seem to post news stories ad infinitum and focus on those that are more pessimistic and i think thats why you bolded the words because you prefer the negative aspect.

Poll: Is it now time to sack Paul Cook?

Mutate or die! on 08:46 - May 7 with 3853 viewsElephantintheRoom

The mongers of doomsday have been wrong every time by a country mile so far.

But they only have to be right once.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Mutate or die! on 09:02 - May 7 with 3846 viewssparks

Mutate or die! on 14:08 - May 6 by NotSure

If there is sufficient mutation to create a second strain, then having it in April wont help you.

Stop spreading bad information please.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Mutate or die! on 15:22 - May 7 with 3788 viewschummywalnut

Mutate or die! on 09:02 - May 7 by sparks

If there is sufficient mutation to create a second strain, then having it in April wont help you.

Stop spreading bad information please.

Bad information.....Says who?

It's just a different theory to yours but no less credible.
Mutate or die! on 16:41 - May 7 with 3766 viewsEireannach_gorm

Mutate or die! on 15:22 - May 7 by chummywalnut

Bad information.....Says who?

It's just a different theory to yours but no less credible.

So why do you think that people who get the Flu jab ( the seasonal flu vaccine protects against the 3/4 strains of flu virus recommended by the World Health Organization as the strains most likely to be circulating during the season ) still get Influenza?
Mutate or die! on 21:56 - May 7 with 3712 viewschummywalnut

Mutate or die! on 16:41 - May 7 by Eireannach_gorm

So why do you think that people who get the Flu jab ( the seasonal flu vaccine protects against the 3/4 strains of flu virus recommended by the World Health Organization as the strains most likely to be circulating during the season ) still get Influenza?

That may be so but as the finest scientists in the land don’t fully understand Covid 19 i would therefore doubt that the TWTD regulars do either.

Probably best to leave it to them.
Login to get fewer ads

Mutate or die! on 22:03 - May 7 with 3703 viewsjeera

Mutate or die! on 21:56 - May 7 by chummywalnut

That may be so but as the finest scientists in the land don’t fully understand Covid 19 i would therefore doubt that the TWTD regulars do either.

So you now agree it was bad information then.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Mutate or die! on 22:17 - May 7 with 3691 viewschummywalnut

Mutate or die! on 22:03 - May 7 by jeera

So you now agree it was bad information then.

Not really.

It's more that no-one actually knows whether it can be called bad information or not.
Mutate or die! on 22:20 - May 7 with 3688 viewsjeera

Mutate or die! on 22:17 - May 7 by chummywalnut

Not really.

It's more that no-one actually knows whether it can be called bad information or not.

Yeah we do.

He's been trolling the site for weeks now.

Mutate or die! on 22:29 - May 7 with 3680 viewschummywalnut

Mutate or die! on 22:20 - May 7 by jeera

Yeah we do.

He's been trolling the site for weeks now.

Okay well I don't tend to look at or post on this board much so I wouldn't know ;)

But there may well be something in the theory that getting the virus the first time around helps in terms of resistance the second time around. As I say, no-one (including the scientists) is really in a position to quantify this either way right now.

Let's just hope things improve from here.
Mutate or die! on 22:34 - May 7 with 3675 viewsjeera

Mutate or die! on 22:29 - May 7 by chummywalnut

Okay well I don't tend to look at or post on this board much so I wouldn't know ;)

But there may well be something in the theory that getting the virus the first time around helps in terms of resistance the second time around. As I say, no-one (including the scientists) is really in a position to quantify this either way right now.

Let's just hope things improve from here.

Scientists in S.Korea have already ascertained that long-term immunity is possible once the virus has been caught and spent. This is true.

But Einstein there will take common knowledge and claim it as his own.

The point here though is if the damn thing mutates (well, it has already hasn't it), then it's not unreasonable to believe the body may not recognise its new form the next time around.

We know this from the various strains of other illnesses we all catch at some point or other some years.

I say this as a mere mortal and not a scientist admittedly, but you know what I mean.
[Post edited 7 May 2020 22:35]

Mutate or die! on 22:49 - May 7 with 3655 viewschummywalnut

Mutate or die! on 22:34 - May 7 by jeera

Scientists in S.Korea have already ascertained that long-term immunity is possible once the virus has been caught and spent. This is true.

But Einstein there will take common knowledge and claim it as his own.

The point here though is if the damn thing mutates (well, it has already hasn't it), then it's not unreasonable to believe the body may not recognise its new form the next time around.

We know this from the various strains of other illnesses we all catch at some point or other some years.

I say this as a mere mortal and not a scientist admittedly, but you know what I mean.
[Post edited 7 May 2020 22:35]

Yes, quite possibly.

Equally it's not unreasonable to think that getting it once might help the body deal with it a second time even if it doesn't provide full immunity. Maybe I'm just being overly optimistic?

As you say none of us are scientists so who knows.
Mutate or die! on 22:58 - May 7 with 3649 viewsjeera

Mutate or die! on 22:49 - May 7 by chummywalnut

Yes, quite possibly.

Equally it's not unreasonable to think that getting it once might help the body deal with it a second time even if it doesn't provide full immunity. Maybe I'm just being overly optimistic?

As you say none of us are scientists so who knows.

But you're saying it again. We do have a good idea.

For example: The very first paragraph here:

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2019/03/190320110619.htm

As it goes, as you read on, this seems to suggest that sometimes having a previous version of something can work against you later on.

Mutate or die! on 23:17 - May 7 with 3634 viewschummywalnut

Mutate or die! on 22:58 - May 7 by jeera

But you're saying it again. We do have a good idea.

For example: The very first paragraph here:

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2019/03/190320110619.htm

As it goes, as you read on, this seems to suggest that sometimes having a previous version of something can work against you later on.

Well I disagree, we aren't talking about flu which has been around for years.

Scientists might have a bit of an idea, but unless I'm mistaken none of them can currently say with any degree of certainty whether or not contracting Covid 19 first time around would make a second wave potentially better or worse.
Mutate or die! on 23:27 - May 7 with 3623 viewsjeera

Mutate or die! on 23:17 - May 7 by chummywalnut

Well I disagree, we aren't talking about flu which has been around for years.

Scientists might have a bit of an idea, but unless I'm mistaken none of them can currently say with any degree of certainty whether or not contracting Covid 19 first time around would make a second wave potentially better or worse.

No, but we are talking about viruses, which have some common theme.

And we are talking about our bodies which react to viruses according to those they recognise, and those they don't.

I can't see what there is to disagree about.

A mutation is a new comer.

Edit: and to be clear, I am replying to the notion that catching it once would protect someone against a different version of it later on. That was your previous point.
[Post edited 7 May 2020 23:31]

Mutate or die! on 23:58 - May 7 with 3607 viewschummywalnut

Mutate or die! on 23:27 - May 7 by jeera

No, but we are talking about viruses, which have some common theme.

And we are talking about our bodies which react to viruses according to those they recognise, and those they don't.

I can't see what there is to disagree about.

A mutation is a new comer.

Edit: and to be clear, I am replying to the notion that catching it once would protect someone against a different version of it later on. That was your previous point.
[Post edited 7 May 2020 23:31]

I’m disagreeing that it’s reasonable to assume that the behaviour of common flu and covid 19 are likely to be the same (or very similar) just because they are both viruses.

Anyway for a subject that neither of us know anything whatsoever about I think we’ve done it to death (no pun intended).

Good talking to you - good night 😉👍
Mutate or die! on 10:59 - May 8 with 3538 viewsEireannach_gorm

Mutate or die! on 21:56 - May 7 by chummywalnut

Rather than actually answer my question you chose to use this modern deflection technique used by people who can't explain their opinions.

Allow me to explain why I think you are wrong in your views. I will use evidence from scientists who actually know about virology. I think that we all are aware that Covid-19 ( Novel Coronavirus ) is a Coronavirus. Which means it is from a large family of viruses that circulate among animals, including camels, cats and bats, with some causing illness in humans. Novel Coronavirus ( the hint there is in the name ) is a virus that human immune system has not seen before and therefore has little protection against. Previously we have had Coronavirus outbreaks in the form of SARS and MERS so there has been work done to find vaccines and there is current research to modify these vaccines to counter Covid-19. The point I am trying to make is that viruses mutate and vaccine for one type ( even one strain ) may not work for another. This why the makeup of the Flu vaccine changes every year and has multiple components. Obviously the same applies if you actually get a virus and your body has built immunity.

See here why Influenza A(H3N2) is more difficult to protect against compared to other strains.
https://www.cdc.gov/flu/vaccines-work/vaccineeffect.htm
Mutate or die! on 14:32 - May 22 with 3385 viewschummywalnut

Mutate or die! on 10:59 - May 8 by Eireannach_gorm

Rather than actually answer my question you chose to use this modern deflection technique used by people who can't explain their opinions.

Allow me to explain why I think you are wrong in your views. I will use evidence from scientists who actually know about virology. I think that we all are aware that Covid-19 ( Novel Coronavirus ) is a Coronavirus. Which means it is from a large family of viruses that circulate among animals, including camels, cats and bats, with some causing illness in humans. Novel Coronavirus ( the hint there is in the name ) is a virus that human immune system has not seen before and therefore has little protection against. Previously we have had Coronavirus outbreaks in the form of SARS and MERS so there has been work done to find vaccines and there is current research to modify these vaccines to counter Covid-19. The point I am trying to make is that viruses mutate and vaccine for one type ( even one strain ) may not work for another. This why the makeup of the Flu vaccine changes every year and has multiple components. Obviously the same applies if you actually get a virus and your body has built immunity.

See here why Influenza A(H3N2) is more difficult to protect against compared to other strains.
https://www.cdc.gov/flu/vaccines-work/vaccineeffect.htm

Only on TWTD can you claim to know nothing about a subject and have people try to argue with you that you are wrong.

Mutate or die! on 15:01 - May 22 with 3350 viewsflimflam

It is well know that viruses rarely become stronger after mutation but usually more contagious. It seems Covid-19 could possibly be weakening and becoming less contagious also.

From a report in the Guardian today
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/may/10/will-covid-19-mutate-into-a-more-d

"But there is some reason for hope. Another preliminary study, this time by researchers in the UK and US, revealed that after looking at more than 15,000 coronavirus genomes from patients around the world, scientists found no sign the virus is becoming more transmissible — in other words it is not becoming easier to pass from person to person.

The team found 6,822 mutations in total, relative to the ancestral genome, however none of the genomes showed more than 29 single position changes, known as SNPs. The researchers then focused on 31 mutations that appear to have arisen independently at least 10 times.

“If there is a mutation that appears and makes it transmit better, then we should see it happening multiple times,” said Prof Francois Balloux, a co-author of the research at University College London. However the team found these mutations either had a neutral impact on the virus, or were actually detrimental to it"
[Post edited 22 May 2020 15:08]

All men and women are created, by the, you know the, you know the thing.

Mutate or die! on 15:09 - May 22 with 3329 viewsflimflam

Another report a week or so ago

"As the deadly virus continues to spread around the world, scientists are desperately trying to find a cure for the global pandemic. And researchers at Arizona State University may have found a mutation that could change the tide in the outbreak.

The mutation is reportedly similar to the change found in the Sars virus back in 2003 and means it could be less likely to get past the immune system.

Former director of the WHO Cancer Programme, Professor Karol Sikora, wrote on Twitter: “Scientists in Arizona have detected a mutation in a Coronavirus sample.

“Don't be alarmed - it has lost some of its potency.

“When this happened in the SARS outbreak, it marked the beginning of the end.

“Huge caveat - it's just one sample, we need to see if we can find it elsewhere.”

Researchers at Arizona State University took 382 samples from coronavirus patients in the state and discovered one sample was missing a large section of the virus’ genetic material.

Experts claim this missing section makes the infection weaker and is a signal that the virus is winding down.

Although only one patient in Arizona has been found with the mutation, researchers say if genome sequencing becomes more common, it is likely more cases will emerge.

The coronavirus contains 30,000 letters of ribonucleic acid (RNA) and in a sample, 81 letters were missing.

Dr Efrem Lim said: “These proteins are not just there to replicate - they are in there to help enhance virulence and suppress the immune system.

“It evolved with a more attenuated form in the late phase of the epidemic.”
[Post edited 22 May 2020 15:10]

All men and women are created, by the, you know the, you know the thing.

Mutate or die! on 15:12 - May 22 with 3316 viewschummywalnut

Mutate or die! on 15:01 - May 22 by flimflam

It is well know that viruses rarely become stronger after mutation but usually more contagious. It seems Covid-19 could possibly be weakening and becoming less contagious also.

From a report in the Guardian today
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/may/10/will-covid-19-mutate-into-a-more-d

"But there is some reason for hope. Another preliminary study, this time by researchers in the UK and US, revealed that after looking at more than 15,000 coronavirus genomes from patients around the world, scientists found no sign the virus is becoming more transmissible — in other words it is not becoming easier to pass from person to person.

The team found 6,822 mutations in total, relative to the ancestral genome, however none of the genomes showed more than 29 single position changes, known as SNPs. The researchers then focused on 31 mutations that appear to have arisen independently at least 10 times.

“If there is a mutation that appears and makes it transmit better, then we should see it happening multiple times,” said Prof Francois Balloux, a co-author of the research at University College London. However the team found these mutations either had a neutral impact on the virus, or were actually detrimental to it"
[Post edited 22 May 2020 15:08]

Interesting that Professor Sikora was suggesting today that people may have some residual immunity from old viruses and it’s on the way out. Hope he’s right.

So many different views and even experts don’t necessarily agree - who knows what’s likely to happen.
Mutate or die! on 15:42 - May 22 with 3277 viewsjaykay

Mutate or die! on 14:32 - May 22 by chummywalnut

Only on TWTD can you claim to know nothing about a subject and have people try to argue with you that you are wrong.

you post as someone who has been on twtd years and know whats going on. maybe you have but under a different name. what about the football ?

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

Mutate or die! on 15:58 - May 22 with 3263 viewschummywalnut

Mutate or die! on 15:42 - May 22 by jaykay

you post as someone who has been on twtd years and know whats going on. maybe you have but under a different name. what about the football ?

I look at this board very occasionally but rarely interested enough to post to be honest. I think my last meaningful activity on here was a debate with the resident drama llamas over whether Manuel Thetis should be in the team!

I’d love for there to be some football to talk about.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024