Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The 5 point plan 15:52 - Aug 17 with 936 viewshype313

"To provide a significant ongoing financial commitment to the club’s academy, enabling a steady flow of players into the first-team"

You could argue the first is true but the jury is out on the second.

"To provide a sustainable and competitive squad salary budget"

Doesn't really make any sense, corporate waffle.

"To make annual investment funds available to purchase players in the early stages of their career and to assist in their development"

Bar KVY, there really hasn't been much more on this, again, you could say empty words.

"Maintaining a stable management and coaching team"

Yes, to the detriment of the club.

"To develop a team to play attractive and exciting football"

We're a million miles from this, so again, empty words and promises.

Overall, it sounded great at the time, and whilst things have worked against us, 90% of that seems to have been disregarded.

Essentially, it was lip service.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

The 5 point plan on 15:58 - Aug 17 with 904 viewsSteve_M

It was always something scribbled down in a hurry to keep fans quiet for a bit.

On the bringing in young players thing, I might be slightly more generous than you. Danny Rowe and Kieffer Moore certainly fit that category, one could perhaps stretch it to Kayden Jackson (24 when signed). Not a lot though and most of Hurst's signings, although they needed development, were mid-career.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

The 5 point plan on 16:01 - Aug 17 with 892 viewsSwansea_Blue

Yep, that pretty much mirrors my thought on the supposed 'plan'.

Evans stresses core principles to staff and players by Swansea_Blue 5 Aug 2020 15:59
Yep. As an actual plan, it was largely nonsense. It's a hashed together list of the bleeding obvious combined with some vague aspiration. Let's have a look:

1 — ‘To provide a significant ongoing financial commitment to the club’s academy, enabling a steady flow of players into the first-team’.
Well, ok, fair enough. But then any club with an academy is going to have to fund it and then want to see academy players progressing. Are we making a conscious decision to pump more into the academy, or is it just that the amounts needed to run it are seen as "significant" and haven't actually changed?

2 — ‘To provide a sustainable and competitive squad salary budget’
Clearly a failure in terms of competitiveness in Championship. By the time we were relegated we had the 20th lowest wage budget in the league.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EdWdE2CWAAEhuMW?format=jpg&name=medium
Sustainable? Maybe it is that. Maybe it was what ME could afford to spend. Slightly different in League 1 of course. We are competitive again, but only due to circumstances not because of the plan.

3 — ‘To make annual investment funds available to purchase players in the early stages of their career and to assist in their development’
Ok. So this is a contentious one. We obviously don't spend a lot of money on transfers https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EdWdHWLXoAA8fER?format=jpg&name=medium
So given limited funds, we want to spend those on younger players with room to develop.
We've done fairly well against this aim in fairness. The only transfer fee last summer was for KVY, who could turn out to be a great bit of business.
The year before, players we paid for were 25 or younger (Jackson, Harrison and Edwards). There were a few older ones picked up on frees. The problem there though was that most were also poor and show no sign of improving. As usual, ME's focus is on the money and not the quality.

4 — ‘Maintaining a stable management and coaching team’
We're not set up to do this. Every time we change manager (each of who has different ideas about how to play) we change the core management and coaching team around them. Personally, I don't think this point has any purpose in how ME's set it out. If he was to put a structure in place from youth, coaching, recruitment, to operate in a certain way and provide stability to cope better with manager change (e.g. as Brentford have), that would be a different matter. Let's face it, not many managers stay for long. At our level if we have a very successful manager, he'll be gone after a season. We have to plan to cope with those changes. Planning to avoid them is destined to fail and then also slows down change when it is needed (like now).

5 — ‘To develop a team to play attractive and exciting football’
Simply a wish, with no plan behind it. As proven by performances and some of the players we've signed, who can barely pass water let alone a football. Meaningless piffle to try to appeal to some of the fanbase.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

The 5 point plan on 16:05 - Aug 17 with 884 viewstractorboy1978

The third one should read:

"To make annual investment funds available (unless the fee is over £1m) to purchase players in the early stages of their career and to assist in their development"
The 5 point plan on 16:06 - Aug 17 with 879 viewsLankHenners

It was never a 'plan' as such, more a set of loose goals that basically every club would like to aspire to. It was written down to make the club feel like it was moving in the right direction without ever really sorting out how to achieve those goals properly (although as you say, Evans has decided to stick to number 4 when he shouldn't have done, and it's a self-defeating one anyway as it only makes sense if the management team is successful).

I saw Matthew Pinsent on Celebrity Masterchef of all places recently talking about his Olympic success and he mentioned the importance of working on the processes that go into success rather than the success itself, as if you do the former properly then you put yourself in a good position to let the latter take care of itself. It's never seemed that Evans or the club as a whole has really done that other than under Mick on a strictly 'on the pitch' basis.

You could go through each one and spend ages picking them apart as to what they actually mean and what we have/haven't done with regards to them. Briefly, 1 rather relies on the club being in a stable place which depends on some of the others being in place, 2 you said it, 3 we haven't seen a great deal of this and as a tactic you have to be prepared to invest a bit into it (or get some sort of luck i.e. Mick with Mings) but we do things like sell Murphy for £3 mil at the end of a transfer window and replace him with Leon Best on a free a few weeks later, 4 we've covered, 5 yeah great but I don't think Evans really knew what he meant with that one other than knowing the fans would like it.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

The 5 point plan on 16:10 - Aug 17 with 856 viewsSwansea_Blue

The 5 point plan on 16:06 - Aug 17 by LankHenners

It was never a 'plan' as such, more a set of loose goals that basically every club would like to aspire to. It was written down to make the club feel like it was moving in the right direction without ever really sorting out how to achieve those goals properly (although as you say, Evans has decided to stick to number 4 when he shouldn't have done, and it's a self-defeating one anyway as it only makes sense if the management team is successful).

I saw Matthew Pinsent on Celebrity Masterchef of all places recently talking about his Olympic success and he mentioned the importance of working on the processes that go into success rather than the success itself, as if you do the former properly then you put yourself in a good position to let the latter take care of itself. It's never seemed that Evans or the club as a whole has really done that other than under Mick on a strictly 'on the pitch' basis.

You could go through each one and spend ages picking them apart as to what they actually mean and what we have/haven't done with regards to them. Briefly, 1 rather relies on the club being in a stable place which depends on some of the others being in place, 2 you said it, 3 we haven't seen a great deal of this and as a tactic you have to be prepared to invest a bit into it (or get some sort of luck i.e. Mick with Mings) but we do things like sell Murphy for £3 mil at the end of a transfer window and replace him with Leon Best on a free a few weeks later, 4 we've covered, 5 yeah great but I don't think Evans really knew what he meant with that one other than knowing the fans would like it.

One of the truest cliches in football - take care of the performances and the results will follow. We don't seem to know what we're trying to do under Lambert. Whether or not the 'style' appealed to you, the one thing you could never accuse Mick of is not having a clear idea of how he wanted his team to play.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

The 5 point plan on 16:16 - Aug 17 with 833 viewsChrisd

The 5 point plan on 16:10 - Aug 17 by Swansea_Blue

One of the truest cliches in football - take care of the performances and the results will follow. We don't seem to know what we're trying to do under Lambert. Whether or not the 'style' appealed to you, the one thing you could never accuse Mick of is not having a clear idea of how he wanted his team to play.

Yes, but you can’t say MM’s style of football was attractive and exciting to watch either.
[Post edited 17 Aug 2020 16:17]

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

The 5 point plan on 16:19 - Aug 17 with 813 viewshype313

The 5 point plan on 16:01 - Aug 17 by Swansea_Blue

Yep, that pretty much mirrors my thought on the supposed 'plan'.

Evans stresses core principles to staff and players by Swansea_Blue 5 Aug 2020 15:59
Yep. As an actual plan, it was largely nonsense. It's a hashed together list of the bleeding obvious combined with some vague aspiration. Let's have a look:

1 — ‘To provide a significant ongoing financial commitment to the club’s academy, enabling a steady flow of players into the first-team’.
Well, ok, fair enough. But then any club with an academy is going to have to fund it and then want to see academy players progressing. Are we making a conscious decision to pump more into the academy, or is it just that the amounts needed to run it are seen as "significant" and haven't actually changed?

2 — ‘To provide a sustainable and competitive squad salary budget’
Clearly a failure in terms of competitiveness in Championship. By the time we were relegated we had the 20th lowest wage budget in the league.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EdWdE2CWAAEhuMW?format=jpg&name=medium
Sustainable? Maybe it is that. Maybe it was what ME could afford to spend. Slightly different in League 1 of course. We are competitive again, but only due to circumstances not because of the plan.

3 — ‘To make annual investment funds available to purchase players in the early stages of their career and to assist in their development’
Ok. So this is a contentious one. We obviously don't spend a lot of money on transfers https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EdWdHWLXoAA8fER?format=jpg&name=medium
So given limited funds, we want to spend those on younger players with room to develop.
We've done fairly well against this aim in fairness. The only transfer fee last summer was for KVY, who could turn out to be a great bit of business.
The year before, players we paid for were 25 or younger (Jackson, Harrison and Edwards). There were a few older ones picked up on frees. The problem there though was that most were also poor and show no sign of improving. As usual, ME's focus is on the money and not the quality.

4 — ‘Maintaining a stable management and coaching team’
We're not set up to do this. Every time we change manager (each of who has different ideas about how to play) we change the core management and coaching team around them. Personally, I don't think this point has any purpose in how ME's set it out. If he was to put a structure in place from youth, coaching, recruitment, to operate in a certain way and provide stability to cope better with manager change (e.g. as Brentford have), that would be a different matter. Let's face it, not many managers stay for long. At our level if we have a very successful manager, he'll be gone after a season. We have to plan to cope with those changes. Planning to avoid them is destined to fail and then also slows down change when it is needed (like now).

5 — ‘To develop a team to play attractive and exciting football’
Simply a wish, with no plan behind it. As proven by performances and some of the players we've signed, who can barely pass water let alone a football. Meaningless piffle to try to appeal to some of the fanbase.

Your's was far more succinct than mine, but we both came to the same conclusions

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

The 5 point plan on 16:31 - Aug 17 with 770 viewsRegencyBlue

The five point plan was a sop for the gullible, nothing more!
Login to get fewer ads

The 5 point plan on 16:45 - Aug 17 with 754 viewsBlueBadger

1. Get a manager who 'plays good' football'. If in doubt, a great 'front man' who'll get the easily fooled 'on side' will. The last time he actually achieved anything is irrelevant.

2. Give him a long contract

3. Ignore the fact that he's woefully incompetent

4. errrrrr

5. That's it.
[Post edited 17 Aug 2020 16:51]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Where would it be funniest to see NCFC fans crying on the telly?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

The 5 point plan on 17:10 - Aug 17 with 705 viewsBlueBadger

The 5 point plan on 16:16 - Aug 17 by Chrisd

Yes, but you can’t say MM’s style of football was attractive and exciting to watch either.
[Post edited 17 Aug 2020 16:17]

I dunno, his early years when the chemistry REALLY clicked and we were steam rolling sides was pretty good. The latter ones when Evans' constraints and injuries to the likes of Bishop(who will be fit in a month) bit in, however...

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Where would it be funniest to see NCFC fans crying on the telly?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

The 5 point plan on 17:21 - Aug 17 with 687 viewsChrisd

The 5 point plan on 17:10 - Aug 17 by BlueBadger

I dunno, his early years when the chemistry REALLY clicked and we were steam rolling sides was pretty good. The latter ones when Evans' constraints and injuries to the likes of Bishop(who will be fit in a month) bit in, however...

The season we were pushing for promotion we played some decent stuff, the home game against Middlesbrough was the personal highlight for me, we mixed things up really well and the team just clicked into gear. Seasons before that when we were scrapping to stay up it was more about getting the points, which was painful viewing at times - the 3 points softened the blow of the performances, towards the end of his tenure too it wasn’t that inspiring either.
[Post edited 17 Aug 2020 17:40]

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024