Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Social Dilemma - Netflix 13:53 - Sep 21 with 1232 viewsSouperJim

Watched this over the weekend, hugely eye-opening look at the massive harm social media is doing to the fabric of our society. Quite frightening really, I usually take these things with a pinch of salt but it's well worth a look.

Also provided a real lightbulb moment for me in understanding the increasingly binary nature of everyone's opinion on current events, how politics has shifted further towards the far left and right in recent years, the massively differing reactions to BLM, how the hell Trump managed to get in, how the hell we ended up with Brexit, etc.

Between all this crap, the rapidly looming climate crisis and covid-19, the world really is a scary place these days. It increasingly feels like we lack the leaders to do what needs to be done and sort these global problems out before it's too late.

Poll: Prawn Crackers
Blog: Broken Ipswich

The Social Dilemma - Netflix on 14:22 - Sep 21 with 1165 viewsghostofescobar

The Great Hack is also interesting and scary. It’s about how data is harvested from all of us (mainly from social media) and used to basically influence elections. I ended the film thinking that democracy is basically dead. I’ll give the Social Dilemma a look.

GhostOfEscobar

The Social Dilemma - Netflix on 14:27 - Sep 21 with 1158 viewsHARRY10

Really ?

So opposing racial discrimination and objecting to having rights as an EU citizen removed is now .... left wing ? I think not.

What has happened is that many on the right have been encouraged down a road of stupidity that has offered up all manner of nonsense. 5G = Coronavirus, wearing a mask = state control, EU = na zi Germany etc

Whether that is far right is a moot point , but always when the subject matter becomes 'extreme; it will split the populace into two opposing groups.
The Social Dilemma - Netflix on 14:53 - Sep 21 with 1106 viewsgiant_stow

rre the binary nature of debate, I think its clear as day on here too. It'd be nice if everyone took a step back and asked themselves what they hope to achieve by posting (I'm taking my own advice).

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

The Social Dilemma - Netflix on 14:59 - Sep 21 with 1088 viewsHARRY10

The Social Dilemma - Netflix on 14:53 - Sep 21 by giant_stow

rre the binary nature of debate, I think its clear as day on here too. It'd be nice if everyone took a step back and asked themselves what they hope to achieve by posting (I'm taking my own advice).

Challenging lies, and misinformation

I do not own a newspaper so am unable to use that

hence my posting at this level
The Social Dilemma - Netflix on 15:19 - Sep 21 with 1063 viewsmonytowbray

The leaders have been there but the “free” press connived everyone they were/are dangerous.

Never trust a billionaire.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

The Social Dilemma - Netflix on 15:46 - Sep 21 with 1020 viewsSouperJim

The Social Dilemma - Netflix on 14:27 - Sep 21 by HARRY10

Really ?

So opposing racial discrimination and objecting to having rights as an EU citizen removed is now .... left wing ? I think not.

What has happened is that many on the right have been encouraged down a road of stupidity that has offered up all manner of nonsense. 5G = Coronavirus, wearing a mask = state control, EU = na zi Germany etc

Whether that is far right is a moot point , but always when the subject matter becomes 'extreme; it will split the populace into two opposing groups.

I'm a bit confused by the somewhat combative nature of your post, I made none of the statements you seem to be objecting to?

The Social Dilemma - Netflix on 16:01 - Sep 21 with 984 viewsHARRY10

The Social Dilemma - Netflix on 15:46 - Sep 21 by SouperJim

I'm a bit confused by the somewhat combative nature of your post, I made none of the statements you seem to be objecting to?

"how politics has shifted further towards the far left and right in recent years, the massively differing reactions to BLM, how the hell Trump managed to get in, how the hell we ended up with Brexit, etc. "
The Social Dilemma - Netflix on 04:16 - Sep 22 with 825 viewsRyorry

The Social Dilemma - Netflix on 14:27 - Sep 21 by HARRY10

Really ?

Eh? Are you talking about the same film as the OP?

I haven't seen it (have you?) but here's a review

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/sep/19/the-social-dilemma-a-wake-

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Login to get fewer ads

The Social Dilemma - Netflix on 07:07 - Sep 22 with 768 viewsgiant_stow

The Social Dilemma - Netflix on 04:16 - Sep 22 by Ryorry

Eh? Are you talking about the same film as the OP?

I haven't seen it (have you?) but here's a review

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/sep/19/the-social-dilemma-a-wake-

Its very good, although maybe stretches its argument in places.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

The Social Dilemma - Netflix on 13:01 - Sep 22 with 666 viewsSouperJim

The Social Dilemma - Netflix on 16:01 - Sep 21 by HARRY10

"how politics has shifted further towards the far left and right in recent years, the massively differing reactions to BLM, how the hell Trump managed to get in, how the hell we ended up with Brexit, etc. "

That's a list of separate statements with commas, you've misinterpreted what I wrote old chap.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024