Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Only just seen the statement after a mate texted me, so this might've been said 23:16 - Dec 3 with 2326 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

But like Lambert, Evans is also gaslighting us isn't he? Telling us we can't really understand the games by watching ifollow?! WTF is that all about?!

He sounds peed off. "I'm funding all this sh!t, be grateful" is how it comes across to me.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Only just seen the statement after a mate texted me, so this might've been said on 23:19 - Dec 3 with 2287 viewsRyorry

Never quite understood what people mean when they use "gaslighting" in this context tbh.

Poll: Time of the annunciation

Only just seen the statement after a mate texted me, so this might've been said on 23:19 - Dec 3 with 2297 viewsGuthrum

Thing is, he's having a go at the one group who, besides himself, is most interested in seeing his investment do well (i.e. for the club to win promotions and reach the Premier League).

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Only just seen the statement after a mate texted me, so this might've been said on 23:21 - Dec 3 with 2274 viewsGuthrum

Only just seen the statement after a mate texted me, so this might've been said on 23:19 - Dec 3 by Ryorry

Never quite understood what people mean when they use "gaslighting" in this context tbh.

Pulling the wool over the eyes, deliberately trying to replace truth with uncertainty and confusion.

Presumably as in a dimly gas-lit room rather than bright electric bulbs.

Only just seen the statement after a mate texted me, so this might've been said on 23:29 - Dec 3 with 2234 viewsRyorry

Only just seen the statement after a mate texted me, so this might've been said on 23:21 - Dec 3 by Guthrum

Pulling the wool over the eyes, deliberately trying to replace truth with uncertainty and confusion.

Ah, thanks.

Can see how that's arrived at, but personally prefer not using it in these kind of situations, had always thought of it as a reference to coercive control within personal relationships.

Only just seen the statement after a mate texted me, so this might've been said on 23:33 - Dec 3 with 2231 viewsGuthrum

Only just seen the statement after a mate texted me, so this might've been said on 23:29 - Dec 3 by Ryorry

Ah, thanks.

Can see how that's arrived at, but personally prefer not using it in these kind of situations, had always thought of it as a reference to coercive control within personal relationships.

It is. Tho can be cases of criminal defrauding (e.g. to confuse someone elderly in order to rob them) as well as personal relationships.

Only just seen the statement after a mate texted me, so this might've been said on 07:28 - Dec 4 with 1991 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Only just seen the statement after a mate texted me, so this might've been said on 23:29 - Dec 3 by Ryorry

Ah, thanks.

Psychologists use the term “gaslighting” to refer to a specific type of manipulation where the manipulator is trying to get someone else (or a group of people) to question their own reality, memory or perceptions. It's not just about coercive control within personal relationships. And it definitely fits with the nonsense Lambert and now Evans have come out with; trying to tell us what we're seeing with our own eyes is not really the reality.

Only just seen the statement after a mate texted me, so this might've been said on 08:21 - Dec 4 with 1918 viewshaynes_toe1

Only just seen the statement after a mate texted me, so this might've been said on 07:28 - Dec 4 by The_Flashing_Smile

Psychologists use the term “gaslighting” to refer to a specific type of manipulation where the manipulator is trying to get someone else (or a group of people) to question their own reality, memory or perceptions. It's not just about coercive control within personal relationships. And it definitely fits with the nonsense Lambert and now Evans have come out with; trying to tell us what we're seeing with our own eyes is not really the reality.

Agreed. What I really don't understand about this club / Evans sometimes is they know how the fans feel right now, so if you're going to issue a statement don't put digs in towards the fans and make silly comments about how we play better when you're not watching it on iFollow.
Only just seen the statement after a mate texted me, so this might've been said on 08:26 - Dec 4 with 1899 viewsurbanblue

Only just seen the statement after a mate texted me, so this might've been said on 23:21 - Dec 3 by Guthrum

Gaslighting is more then just pulling the wool over someone's eyes ... A lot more.

It was only after separating from my ex that I realised that she was a total Narcissist who gaslighted me regularly, and I have done a lot of research into it.

When you gaslight someone you are manipulating someone or a group by psychological means into questioning his/ her or their own own sanity. Over time the gaslighter can have you thinking that you are going mad.

For example my ex would continually tell me that we had had a certain conversation, something had happened, or we had agreed to something, when I was sure it hadn't happened. The thing is you then start questioning whether you were mistaken and that maybe it 'did' happen. The Gaslighter often believes this 'truth' in their head which can make it so convincing.

Incidentally, the term comes from the play and film 'Gaslight' about a woman who's husband slowly manipulates her into thinking that she is going insane.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaslight_(1944_film)
Login to get fewer ads

Only just seen the statement after a mate texted me, so this might've been said on 08:27 - Dec 4 with 1898 viewsitfcjoe

I find it difficult to believe that having lived and breathed football for 30 years, that watching it on iFollow and looking at all the metrics across the division means I fail to notice obvious things that someone who didn't even know the offside rule 10 years ago can spot.

Maybe Evans, whilst gaslighting us, has been gaslighted by Lambert

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Only just seen the statement after a mate texted me, so this might've been said on 08:32 - Dec 4 with 1859 viewsBeckets

Only just seen the statement after a mate texted me, so this might've been said on 08:27 - Dec 4 by itfcjoe

I find it difficult to believe that having lived and breathed football for 30 years, that watching it on iFollow and looking at all the metrics across the division means I fail to notice obvious things that someone who didn't even know the offside rule 10 years ago can spot.

Lambert certainly appears to be winning any kind of internal power struggle. I’m assuming because he knows Evans cannot financially afford to sack him in the foreseeable future. I can see the attacks on fans etc by PL getting worse and the reinstatement of Phil being some way off I’m afraid.
Only just seen the statement after a mate texted me, so this might've been said on 08:36 - Dec 4 with 1838 viewsurbanblue

Only just seen the statement after a mate texted me, so this might've been said on 08:27 - Dec 4 by itfcjoe

They are not gaslighting us ... just talking complete and utter bollix and taking us for fools!
Only just seen the statement after a mate texted me, so this might've been said on 08:37 - Dec 4 with 1841 viewshaynes_toe1

Typically as well, with iFollow / TV (iFollow camera angles aside admittedly) you actually get a better overall view of the game, structure, formation and fluidity than you do sat behind one of the goals, for example.
Only just seen the statement after a mate texted me, so this might've been said on 08:46 - Dec 4 with 1817 viewsGuthrum

Only just seen the statement after a mate texted me, so this might've been said on 08:26 - Dec 4 by urbanblue

Gaslighting is more then just pulling the wool over someone's eyes ... A lot more.

It was only after separating from my ex that I realised that she was a total Narcissist who gaslighted me regularly, and I have done a lot of research into it.

When you gaslight someone you are manipulating someone or a group by psychological means into questioning his/ her or their own own sanity. Over time the gaslighter can have you thinking that you are going mad.

For example my ex would continually tell me that we had had a certain conversation, something had happened, or we had agreed to something, when I was sure it hadn't happened. The thing is you then start questioning whether you were mistaken and that maybe it 'did' happen. The Gaslighter often believes this 'truth' in their head which can make it so convincing.

Incidentally, the term comes from the play and film 'Gaslight' about a woman who's husband slowly manipulates her into thinking that she is going insane.

Ah, that's the origin of the term, thanks. Wasn't meaning to minimise the severity or effects of such actions.

Only just seen the statement after a mate texted me, so this might've been said on 08:52 - Dec 4 with 1797 viewsitfcjoe

Only just seen the statement after a mate texted me, so this might've been said on 08:37 - Dec 4 by haynes_toe1

Typically as well, with iFollow / TV (iFollow camera angles aside admittedly) you actually get a better overall view of the game, structure, formation and fluidity than you do sat behind one of the goals, for example.

There is also the fact the journos are watching every game and are saying the same things, and some inexperienced football guy called Mick Mills as well

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Only just seen the statement after a mate texted me, so this might've been said on 08:53 - Dec 4 with 1792 viewsDanTheMan

Only just seen the statement after a mate texted me, so this might've been said on 08:52 - Dec 4 by itfcjoe

There is also the fact the journos are watching every game and are saying the same things, and some inexperienced football guy called Mick Mills as well

Yeah but they don't have all the facts.

Checkmate Ipswich fans.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Only just seen the statement after a mate texted me, so this might've been said on 11:14 - Dec 4 with 1701 viewsRyorry

Only just seen the statement after a mate texted me, so this might've been said on 08:26 - Dec 4 by urbanblue

Sorry to hear that Urban, it is indeed because of such serious situations that I prefer not to use it in the kind of context that the OP did.

Only just seen the statement after a mate texted me, so this might've been said on 11:57 - Dec 4 with 1659 viewsurbanblue

Only just seen the statement after a mate texted me, so this might've been said on 11:14 - Dec 4 by Ryorry

Sorry to hear that Urban, it is indeed because of such serious situations that I prefer not to use it in the kind of context that the OP did.

Thanks Ryorry. It was 3 and a half years ago, and you may remember that I shared some of my trials and tribulations on here. It ended up quite a long thread about what I called at the time 'emotional manipulation", a thread that I know you took part in.

I now know that what I was up against was complete Narcissism, which involved a lot of Gaslighting.

Even now that things have all settled down and my daughter is with me half the time, I still get the odd text claiming that I've done or said something that is a complete fabrication of her mind. I ignore them every time.

Incidentally, Gaslighting does happen in mass group situations. Trump is a classic example right from his inauguration when he claimed the record numbers in the crowd. However, Evans' comment about ifollow I don't believe was. It was just an opinion. Generally when you are Gaslighting you will be stating something as a fact that you believe actually happened.
Only just seen the statement after a mate texted me, so this might've been said on 12:03 - Dec 4 with 1643 viewsRyorry

Only just seen the statement after a mate texted me, so this might've been said on 11:57 - Dec 4 by urbanblue

Thanks Ryorry. It was 3 and a half years ago, and you may remember that I shared some of my trials and tribulations on here. It ended up quite a long thread about what I called at the time 'emotional manipulation", a thread that I know you took part in.

I now know that what I was up against was complete Narcissism, which involved a lot of Gaslighting.

Even now that things have all settled down and my daughter is with me half the time, I still get the odd text claiming that I've done or said something that is a complete fabrication of her mind. I ignore them every time.

Incidentally, Gaslighting does happen in mass group situations. Trump is a classic example right from his inauguration when he claimed the record numbers in the crowd. However, Evans' comment about ifollow I don't believe was. It was just an opinion. Generally when you are Gaslighting you will be stating something as a fact that you believe actually happened.

I'm afraid I'd completely forgotten, apologies - I have an absolutely sh1t memory! Silver lining is that it's clarified my understanding of 'gaslighting' - thank you.

Glad to hear things have settled down 👍

Only just seen the statement after a mate texted me, so this might've been said on 12:17 - Dec 4 with 1607 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Only just seen the statement after a mate texted me, so this might've been said on 11:14 - Dec 4 by Ryorry

I've used it in the correct context and have given you an explanation of the correct context. The English Language is the English Language, it doesn't matter what context you prefer to use something in.

My OP does not diminish people suffering with personal issues.

Only just seen the statement after a mate texted me, so this might've been said on 12:26 - Dec 4 with 1594 viewsRyorry

Only just seen the statement after a mate texted me, so this might've been said on 12:17 - Dec 4 by The_Flashing_Smile

I've used it in the correct context and have given you an explanation of the correct context. The English Language is the English Language, it doesn't matter what context you prefer to use something in.

My OP does not diminish people suffering with personal issues.

That's why I said "personally" and "I prefer"

Only just seen the statement after a mate texted me, so this might've been said on 12:33 - Dec 4 with 1584 viewsNewcyBlue

Only just seen the statement after a mate texted me, so this might've been said on 11:57 - Dec 4 by urbanblue

That sounds exactly like my previous (and only) marriage.

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

Only just seen the statement after a mate texted me, so this might've been said on 12:40 - Dec 4 with 1574 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Only just seen the statement after a mate texted me, so this might've been said on 12:26 - Dec 4 by Ryorry

That's why I said "personally" and "I prefer"

Well keep it to yourself then. There's absolutely nothing wrong with my usage in the OP, and it certainly doesn't diminish or belittle anyone suffering with this in their relationships, which you seem to be insinuating. It's just a needless pop.

This is a thread about ITFC.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024