Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Teachers / school staff 11:28 - Jan 2 with 1305 viewsBaggio_is_magic

Any idea on what NEU are going to announce today? I know all unions are lobbying for a U-turn but are they going to suggest refusal to work based on Section 44?

I’m NASUWT but right now their proactive response to their members concerns is really putting Patrick Roach to shame.
Teachers / school staff on 11:40 - Jan 2 with 1269 viewsMJallday

If the logic is that they’ve closed some schools in tier 4 but not others, you can see why the unions are irked. I’m in full support of closing the schools and online learning, the sooner the better

Stilton eating Participant - 1977 to Present Day
Poll: Will you be renewing if you are an existing ST Holder - given todays news?

Teachers / school staff on 11:47 - Jan 2 with 1254 viewsBaggio_is_magic

Teachers / school staff on 11:40 - Jan 2 by MJallday

If the logic is that they’ve closed some schools in tier 4 but not others, you can see why the unions are irked. I’m in full support of closing the schools and online learning, the sooner the better

I think their attitude is very much “thanks for listening and shutting the London schools, but what about the rest?”

They’ve given no real scientific reasoning as to why some tier 4 schools are able to open despite being under the toughest restrictions and rapidly increasing infections in communities.
Teachers / school staff on 11:58 - Jan 2 with 1220 viewsJ2BLUE

Hopefully they'll force the government's hand.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Teachers / school staff on 12:07 - Jan 2 with 1201 viewsvapour_trail

Teachers / school staff on 11:58 - Jan 2 by J2BLUE

Hopefully they'll force the government's hand.

Hopefully not.

Online teaching at primary level is so far removed in quality from the classroom experience as to be not worth the engagement at all. We ended up building our own programme whilst both working flat out full time, and fortunate enough to have a retired teacher grandparent on the other end of zoom.

The drop off in standards will be horrific without even starting to consider safeguarding, obesity, mental health, etc etc etc.

The primary kids should be in school.

Secondary can handle distance learning to a greater extent.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

Teachers / school staff on 12:14 - Jan 2 with 1177 viewsJ2BLUE

Teachers / school staff on 12:07 - Jan 2 by vapour_trail

Hopefully not.

Online teaching at primary level is so far removed in quality from the classroom experience as to be not worth the engagement at all. We ended up building our own programme whilst both working flat out full time, and fortunate enough to have a retired teacher grandparent on the other end of zoom.

The drop off in standards will be horrific without even starting to consider safeguarding, obesity, mental health, etc etc etc.

It's easy for me to say as I don't have kids and I sympathise with you but if this new variant is mainly spreading via kids then we surely need to take the hit for a month or two?

I agree kids should be in school if possibly but not sure it wins out when balanced against the NHS being overrun (with many patients now younger - an 8 year old died recently but i'm not sure of the circumstances), teacher safety and general spread of the virus.

Truly impaired.

Teachers / school staff on 12:19 - Jan 2 with 1159 viewsBlueNomad

Just released:

Schools reopening: Call for closures as Covid cases rise https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-55511662
Teachers / school staff on 12:27 - Jan 2 with 1125 viewsCBBlue

Hopefully not.

I would much rather they shut for 2-4 weeks now with all kids learning remotely while they get cases under control etc than have 2-3 months of off/on bubbles self-isolating as trust me, having seen that happen at my child's primary school last term, that's far more disruptive to learning.

Poll: School on Monday - are you sending in your R, Y1 or Y6 kids?

Teachers / school staff on 12:27 - Jan 2 with 1123 viewsgiant_stow

Hopefully not.

Home schioling had been incredibly tough for all the reasons you say. I think in my family's case it's exposed some serious dysfunction and am sure my boy's mental health, as an only child, has suffered.

The new term is daunting and I can't see how it'll be just 2 weeks - how will they reopen with numbers sky high?

Having said all that, the schools sends an email every day that there's a new class shutdown and towards the end of term, these were coming daily. It's a 4 class per year school so not small, but it was getting to the point where there were more classes closed than open. In that scenario, what's the point of carrying on? Can't see it myself, despite all the above.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Login to get fewer ads

Teachers / school staff on 12:32 - Jan 2 with 1097 viewsvapour_trail

Teachers / school staff on 12:14 - Jan 2 by J2BLUE

It's easy for me to say as I don't have kids and I sympathise with you but if this new variant is mainly spreading via kids then we surely need to take the hit for a month or two?

I agree kids should be in school if possibly but not sure it wins out when balanced against the NHS being overrun (with many patients now younger - an 8 year old died recently but i'm not sure of the circumstances), teacher safety and general spread of the virus.

If we need to close schools, close secondaries first where learning can be delivered more effectively, albeit sub-optimally. Closing the primaries has far deeper consequences.

Teachers / school staff on 12:34 - Jan 2 with 1080 viewsvapour_trail

Teachers / school staff on 12:27 - Jan 2 by CBBlue

I would much rather they shut for 2-4 weeks now with all kids learning remotely while they get cases under control etc than have 2-3 months of off/on bubbles self-isolating as trust me, having seen that happen at my child's primary school last term, that's far more disruptive to learning.

If we’re going to close I don’t think we should keep up the pretence that home learning at primary level is a thing. It will be abandoned in huge numbers and concentrated where life chances are already lower.

Teachers / school staff on 12:35 - Jan 2 with 1069 viewsJ2BLUE

Teachers / school staff on 12:32 - Jan 2 by vapour_trail

If we need to close schools, close secondaries first where learning can be delivered more effectively, albeit sub-optimally. Closing the primaries has far deeper consequences.

Fair point. Worth a try.

Truly impaired.

Teachers / school staff on 12:49 - Jan 2 with 1018 viewsfactual_blue

Teachers / school staff on 12:27 - Jan 2 by giant_stow

Home schioling had been incredibly tough for all the reasons you say. I think in my family's case it's exposed some serious dysfunction and am sure my boy's mental health, as an only child, has suffered.

The new term is daunting and I can't see how it'll be just 2 weeks - how will they reopen with numbers sky high?

Having said all that, the schools sends an email every day that there's a new class shutdown and towards the end of term, these were coming daily. It's a 4 class per year school so not small, but it was getting to the point where there were more classes closed than open. In that scenario, what's the point of carrying on? Can't see it myself, despite all the above.

If what you're offering your child is 'home schioling', then it's not him who needs the lessons, is it?

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Teachers / school staff on 12:52 - Jan 2 with 1003 viewsBaggio_is_magic

Hopefully not.

I think the key problem is inconsistencies from school to school and parents being unwilling/unable to monitor it due to WFH or what not.

During the first lockdown, my school provided excellent online learning resources using a range of programmes such as google classrooms and for those children not able to access online at home we provide equivalent work on paper. My classroom interaction with the google classroom was around 50%. The work being set was the work from the maths scheme we would have been doing in class and the book we would have been covering in English. Some of the class would come on and complete the ‘easier’ work, such as an art lesson that was set, and then log off. We were instructed to speak to parents weekly to encourage engagement and most parents said it was too difficult keeping them interested in their work so they just sit in front of the computer/iPad/Xbox.
Teachers / school staff on 12:52 - Jan 2 with 1004 viewspointofblue

This might be easy to say but wouldn’t it be easier to close the schools now and instead have them run later into the summer? Maybe worth more weekly breaks in the next academic year to make up for the summer holidays?

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Teachers / school staff on 12:58 - Jan 2 with 990 viewsBaggio_is_magic

Teachers / school staff on 12:52 - Jan 2 by pointofblue

This might be easy to say but wouldn’t it be easier to close the schools now and instead have them run later into the summer? Maybe worth more weekly breaks in the next academic year to make up for the summer holidays?

Think the real issue with that is if children are being provided online resources and getting feedback from teachers, then those teachers are WFH.

Summer holidays, which would be the most obvious target for shortening, are teachers annual leave but also a time where most preparation is done for the following year.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024