Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Neither enough money or too little 13:21 - Feb 12 with 1411 viewssotd78

We seem to hover between having some money to spend but never really enough. We desperately needed a goalscorer but we end up loaning Parrot.
We urgently needed a right back but got yet another CB on loan and now a kid. We think we have players not good enough Donacien, any number of midfielders, strikers either unfit or not good enough etc. so we borrow someone else's kids when we have our own.

It strikes me that if Evans turned off the tap completely we would have had to make do with what we had. I contend that Donacien, Chambers, Woolfenden and Ward with back up from Wilson and Nsiala would have been perfectly good enough and done no worse than what we have achieved with loans etc.

Likewise up front - if we aren't prepared to go and buy someone much better then it is blinking obvious. 442 with narrow midfield; keep the point you have and bang it up to Drinan and anyone else half fit.

We would have as many points as we have now. Indeed possibly more as we would have taken a few off the top eight teams; we all would recognise our limits and not have all the angst of knowing we should do better.

It is galling to watch us play the last twenty minutes of every match one down and with just one up front. Aaaargh!!

In fact if we did all the above and without the ability to actually watch it would be a whole lot better!

Blue shirts/white shorts - sotd78

It's all relative though..... on 13:36 - Feb 12 with 1377 viewsBloots

....we've been given more than enough funding to get out of this league.

We had enough funding to not get relegated from the Championship.

We didn't have enough funding to get out of the Championship.

Unfortunately funding ultimately dictates where you end up (with some obvious exceptions), if you can add in a manager that over performs, like Mick you can exceed the expectation, but if you add in a knobhead you get relegated.

Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Elite Level Human

It's all relative though..... on 13:39 - Feb 12 with 1361 viewsBlueWorldOrder

It's all relative though..... on 13:36 - Feb 12 by Bloots

....we've been given more than enough funding to get out of this league.

We had enough funding to not get relegated from the Championship.

We didn't have enough funding to get out of the Championship.

Unfortunately funding ultimately dictates where you end up (with some obvious exceptions), if you can add in a manager that over performs, like Mick you can exceed the expectation, but if you add in a knobhead you get relegated.

Weren't we the 4th or 5th lowest paying/cost club in the Championship the last 3 or 4 season we were in it? I'd say we were lucky not to be relegated sooner.

Poll: Should we stop changing kits every season?

It's all relative though..... on 13:43 - Feb 12 with 1357 viewsBlueBadger

It's all relative though..... on 13:39 - Feb 12 by BlueWorldOrder

Weren't we the 4th or 5th lowest paying/cost club in the Championship the last 3 or 4 season we were in it? I'd say we were lucky not to be relegated sooner.

No luck about it. Mick is quality.
But the football is better now.
[Post edited 12 Feb 2021 13:44]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

It's all relative though..... on 13:46 - Feb 12 with 1346 viewsBlueWorldOrder

It's all relative though..... on 13:43 - Feb 12 by BlueBadger

No luck about it. Mick is quality.
But the football is better now.
[Post edited 12 Feb 2021 13:44]

I agree but supporters take aim at managers when the results and football were bad, and we were nearly relegated under Mick too. I agree it was the lack of resources/direction from Evans that forced Mick into the firing line as he was trying to make a miracle work and Evans clearly still wanted him until the 11th hour which is why we ended up in the silly position of having the former manager run the team until even Mick saw how stupid that was, and left.

I don't think we were quite that low..... on 13:50 - Feb 12 with 1343 viewsBloots

....but yeah, it was one of those exceptions.

As noted, we had a decent manager, but he swore at some fans once because they kept telling him that "his football was sh1t".

So he obviously had to go, the rotter.

We got to go to some great new grounds though, so it was worthwhile.
[Post edited 12 Feb 2021 14:19]

Neither enough money or too little on 13:51 - Feb 12 with 1337 viewsWallingford_Boy

Chambers at CB?!

Just no!

Maybe 10 years ago, but he would cause too many issues playing in the middle of the park these days.

RIP Sir Bobby

We weren't "nearly relegated" under Mick. (n/t) on 13:52 - Feb 12 with 1330 viewsBloots

It's all relative though..... on 13:46 - Feb 12 by BlueWorldOrder

I agree but supporters take aim at managers when the results and football were bad, and we were nearly relegated under Mick too. I agree it was the lack of resources/direction from Evans that forced Mick into the firing line as he was trying to make a miracle work and Evans clearly still wanted him until the 11th hour which is why we ended up in the silly position of having the former manager run the team until even Mick saw how stupid that was, and left.

It's all relative though..... on 13:55 - Feb 12 with 1330 viewsBlueBadger

The only time we were 'nearly relegated' under Mick was when he took over from Jewell. Even in 16/17, his nadir, we were never in any real danger - the lowest we sank in the table was 17th.
[Post edited 12 Feb 2021 13:57]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.

Login to get fewer ads

It's all relative though..... on 13:58 - Feb 12 with 1310 viewsBlueWorldOrder

It's all relative though..... on 13:55 - Feb 12 by BlueBadger

The only time we were 'nearly relegated' under Mick was when he took over from Jewell. Even in 16/17, his nadir, we were never in any real danger - the lowest we sank in the table was 17th.
[Post edited 12 Feb 2021 13:57]

We were 4 points off the drop, a win and a draw, or 4 draws and that was only due to a loan player scoring goals to save us. I'd say that was as bad as Jewell we just got lucky.

I don't think we were quite that low..... on 13:58 - Feb 12 with 1307 viewsBlueBadger

I don't think we were quite that low..... on 13:50 - Feb 12 by Bloots

....but yeah, it was one of those exceptions.

As noted, we had a decent manager, but he swore at some fans once because they kept telling him that "his football was sh1t".

So he obviously had to go, the rotter.

We got to go to some great new grounds though, so it was worthwhile.
[Post edited 12 Feb 2021 14:19]

Swearing at a football match. Man's a monster.

It's all relative though..... on 13:59 - Feb 12 with 1310 viewsBlueBadger

It's all relative though..... on 13:58 - Feb 12 by BlueWorldOrder

We were 4 points off the drop, a win and a draw, or 4 draws and that was only due to a loan player scoring goals to save us. I'd say that was as bad as Jewell we just got lucky.

Jewell left us bottom of the table, 7 points adrift of safety with the players a disorganised, divided rabble. It wasn't 'as bad'.
[Post edited 12 Feb 2021 14:01]

It's all relative though..... on 14:08 - Feb 12 with 1296 viewsBlueWorldOrder

It's all relative though..... on 13:59 - Feb 12 by BlueBadger

Jewell left us bottom of the table, 7 points adrift of safety with the players a disorganised, divided rabble. It wasn't 'as bad'.
[Post edited 12 Feb 2021 14:01]

But had we not had a loan player in Lawrence scoring goals would have gone down. That's bad. We also signed Leon Best after selling Murphy. And we wonder why we do so badly...

It's all relative though..... on 14:09 - Feb 12 with 1290 viewsjayessess

Our wage bill was 17th of the 20 clubs that reported their accounts in 2018-19
We were part of a group of 7 clubs that year whose wage bills were small for the division:

Blackburn £22m
Preston North End £20m
Ipswich £19m
Wigan £19m
Millwall £18m
Rotherham £14m
Bolton (not known, but likely similar).

Our budget was of a size that you'd expect to be in a relegation fight, but not so small that staying up required continuous miracles.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

It's all relative though..... on 14:12 - Feb 12 with 1276 viewsdavblue

We were never in any serious trouble only brief flirts with it even then that was from across the pub so to speak. And that was a poor old side that year.

I never felt like we would go down that year as we had a good manager for that league.
[Post edited 12 Feb 2021 14:17]
It's all relative though..... on 14:13 - Feb 12 with 1259 viewsdavblue

It's all relative though..... on 14:08 - Feb 12 by BlueWorldOrder

But had we not had a loan player in Lawrence scoring goals would have gone down. That's bad. We also signed Leon Best after selling Murphy. And we wonder why we do so badly...

We did have that loan player though so it's a moot point.
It's all relative though..... on 14:19 - Feb 12 with 1242 viewsBlueBadger

It's all relative though..... on 14:08 - Feb 12 by BlueWorldOrder

And presumably, if his dog had wings and a beak, it would have been a budgie?

It's all relative though..... on 14:19 - Feb 12 with 1239 viewsBlueBadger

It's all relative though..... on 14:13 - Feb 12 by davblue

We did have that loan player though so it's a moot point.

'If Mick hadn't have been a competent manager we might have been at risk of relegation, boooo Mick' isn't the greatest point ever, is it?

It's all relative though..... on 14:57 - Feb 12 with 1203 viewsdavblue

It's all relative though..... on 14:19 - Feb 12 by BlueBadger

'If Mick hadn't have been a competent manager we might have been at risk of relegation, boooo Mick' isn't the greatest point ever, is it?

it's a strange argument.

It's almost like saying if Barcelona didn't have Messi, Xaxi, Iniesta they wouldn't have won anything.
It's all relative though..... on 06:58 - Feb 13 with 1073 viewsBlueBadger

It's all relative though..... on 14:57 - Feb 12 by davblue

it's a strange argument.

It's almost like saying if Barcelona didn't have Messi, Xaxi, Iniesta they wouldn't have won anything.

Numbskulls gonna numbskull.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024