Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Town and Passing 19:55 - Feb 14 with 872 viewschrismakin

There's obviously alot of talking about styles lately, with Mick at Cardiff etc providing threads about style/results etc

I came across this and It shows town with a nice bit of passing, now Lambert could take note of this, despite the ball being played back and across, look how high up our backline is!

And yes, im very aware, this is similar to the royle years, but christ it was entertaining, 4-3 wins, 5-2 wins, sometimes a 3-4 loss. But we took games to teams.
THAT'S what town folk have been used to watching over the years.

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

Town and Passing on 19:58 - Feb 14 with 857 viewsHerbivore

Royle's sides didn't tend to knock it around the back much. We were pretty direct under him.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Town and Passing on 20:00 - Feb 14 with 849 viewschrismakin

Town and Passing on 19:58 - Feb 14 by Herbivore

Royle's sides didn't tend to knock it around the back much. We were pretty direct under him.

No i know, but when it did, we didn't tend to have our CB'S still on our 18 yard line unlike today

Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?

Town and Passing on 20:46 - Feb 14 with 752 viewsthebooks

Royle’s teams started matches direct in an effort to force teams back, before going a bit shorter in order to try and dominate the opposition.

I couldn’t agree more, though. If there’s anything that defines the Ipswich “way” it’s taking the game to other teams, rather than the length of passes — it’s what we did (or tried to do) under Robson, Lyall, Burley, Royle and Magilton.

Obviously we’ve lost this ever since Evans bought the club. Keane was just dull, while Lambert plods around. I could see Dyer bringing this back.
Town and Passing on 21:52 - Feb 14 with 653 viewsGarv

I don't remember a better midfield/striker duo/partnership than Miller and Pablo in my time (2001ish onwards). They loved playing together and it was great to watch for a good 6/7 years.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Town and Passing on 22:17 - Feb 14 with 607 viewsjeera

Town and Passing on 21:52 - Feb 14 by Garv

I don't remember a better midfield/striker duo/partnership than Miller and Pablo in my time (2001ish onwards). They loved playing together and it was great to watch for a good 6/7 years.

Miller, another one who was underappreciated by a section of fans at the time.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Town and Passing on 22:18 - Feb 14 with 599 viewschrismakin

Town and Passing on 22:17 - Feb 14 by jeera

Miller, another one who was underappreciated by a section of fans at the time.

Miller
Jermaine Wright
Norris
Leadbitter ( Not his corners )

All underappreciated players

Town and Passing on 22:20 - Feb 14 with 596 viewsjeera

Town and Passing on 22:18 - Feb 14 by chrismakin

Miller
Jermaine Wright
Norris

Clapham.
Scowcroft.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Town and Passing on 22:22 - Feb 14 with 593 viewschrismakin

Town and Passing on 22:20 - Feb 14 by jeera

Clapham.
Scowcroft.

Scowy, much more a reason for our relegation than some think imo, was such an influential player, a proper target man, still surpised that we let him go for £3mill, it wasn't like he was a bit part player, he'd been heavily involved in our first year back in the prem, over 30 odd appearances that season
[Post edited 14 Feb 2021 22:25]

Login to get fewer ads

Town and Passing on 22:31 - Feb 14 with 573 viewsSwansea_Blue

There’s a huge difference between playing it out from the back and being stuck in you half without an outlet. We’re the latter most of the time. Same thing with going backwards. There’s nothing wrong with going back to start building again. But that’s very different from being forced backwards because you can’t create any other opportunities. People seem to muddle up those different scenarios. We don’t do possession football very well. If I was Lambert I’d give up on trying.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Town and Passing on 23:10 - Feb 14 with 535 viewsGarv

Town and Passing on 22:31 - Feb 14 by Swansea_Blue

There’s a huge difference between playing it out from the back and being stuck in you half without an outlet. We’re the latter most of the time. Same thing with going backwards. There’s nothing wrong with going back to start building again. But that’s very different from being forced backwards because you can’t create any other opportunities. People seem to muddle up those different scenarios. We don’t do possession football very well. If I was Lambert I’d give up on trying.

Helps if you've got a forward who makes it stick though and wide players willing and able to beat their man.

Town and Passing on 23:13 - Feb 14 with 523 viewsGarv

Town and Passing on 22:18 - Feb 14 by chrismakin

Miller
Jermaine Wright
Norris

Miller and Wright definitely, Norris at a push. I'm not having Leadbitter. His best 6 months came when his contract was coming to an end.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024