Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Parochial parking ponces 14:28 - Mar 14 with 1621 viewsPendejo

I check in on an elderly uncle 2 or 3 times a week, he lives in an end of terrace house on a council estate in Lewisham, a house he's lived in for over 70 years.

Recently one of his neighbours sold up (divorce) and new folks have moved in.

My uncle doesn't own a car, so usually park outside his place, but, one of the neighbours has been parking a mini coach there so parked at next available space, partially outside his and partially across the front of new neighbours.

When I left there was a note on my windscreen asking that I not park there as I had instructed their dropped kerb, at this point I laughed. There is indeed a dropped kerb, and also a driveway, of sorts. In all the years I've been visiting that house the only vehicle I can remember seeing parked there was an old 3 wheeler, possibly Messcherschmidt (?), where driver and pax are in line rather than side to side. You'd struggle to get an old style mini on there, and if you did you'd only be able to get out one side. Even then you'd be in danger of falling over as drive is raised 1m above garden.

They'd certainly struggle to for their modern Fiesta on there.

Why is it that when people buy a house, they think they're buying the road as well?

They want to try living in a 2nd floor flat with no allocated parking, where I often have to park in another post code due to the odd abandoned car and the guys who buy wrecked minis and Susie to do up (this morning counted 10 cars plus their can plus low loader.

I replied to the note, politely, and pointed out that I'd "never seen a car there" and looked forward to seeing theirs there next time. Giving my name and mobile. .. Apparently it is important they park there as they are key workers... relevance?I

Rant over

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Parochial parking ponces on 14:36 - Mar 14 with 1559 viewsbelgablue

I called in on my nan once, who lives on the same road as my parents who I was still living with at the time pre uni. A quirk of the road is that it’s private as it’s former military housing and not up to govt standards so council never took it on. When I left her bungalow there was writing across my whole windshield in white paint / tipex telling me it was a private road and I couldn’t park there, in front of my Nan’s house, on the same private road that I lived on.

In short, I feel your pain.

Poll: Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer?

Parochial parking ponces on 15:57 - Mar 14 with 1470 viewsfactual_blue

Parochial parking ponces on 14:36 - Mar 14 by belgablue

I called in on my nan once, who lives on the same road as my parents who I was still living with at the time pre uni. A quirk of the road is that it’s private as it’s former military housing and not up to govt standards so council never took it on. When I left her bungalow there was writing across my whole windshield in white paint / tipex telling me it was a private road and I couldn’t park there, in front of my Nan’s house, on the same private road that I lived on.

In short, I feel your pain.

Why did your parents do that to your car? Were they trying to get you to move out?

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Parochial parking ponces on 17:01 - Mar 14 with 1393 viewsGeoffSentence

People who get arsey about other people parking on the road in front of their house are straying into the realm of control freak, they don't own the road.

Your post isn't entirely clear about whether you did or did not obstruct the dropped kerb. To do so would be inconsiderate.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Parochial parking ponces on 17:20 - Mar 14 with 1350 viewsPendejo

Parochial parking ponces on 17:01 - Mar 14 by GeoffSentence

People who get arsey about other people parking on the road in front of their house are straying into the realm of control freak, they don't own the road.

Your post isn't entirely clear about whether you did or did not obstruct the dropped kerb. To do so would be inconsiderate.

I was across the dropped kerb, but as I said in OP a modern vehicle would not fit thru the gates, let alone on this drive and in all of my 52 years I have never seen a vehicle that drive, though my uncle tells me one of these has parked there...

Before I was born

Ordinarily I'd agree it being bad form to park across a dropped kerb, but when nothing has parked there in my living memory.

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Parochial parking ponces on 17:30 - Mar 14 with 1331 viewsNthQldITFC

Parochial parking ponces on 17:01 - Mar 14 by GeoffSentence

That reminds me, does anyone know where I can get personalised traffic cones, with my house name and road name printed on. The police are getting a bit arsey about me continuously borrowing theirs whenever I pass the site of an RTA. Also they seem to think that if I have used their ones, that entitles them or their Ambulance-driving brethren to move them from outside my house whenever they like and park in my place. I no my rites!

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Parochial parking ponces on 18:12 - Mar 14 with 1265 viewsWD19

Amen to that.

Folk opposite me have been boiling my piss for years. Calling parking enforcement to ticket unsuspecting motorists on an almost daily basis. I genuinely can’t believe that somebody hasnt put a brick through their window before now.

I parked (legally) outside their house once and they knocked on my door to ask when I was planning to move my car. This is despite them having a driveway with space for 2 cars (and only one of their own).

Their ‘local roads for local people’ mindset did not stretch to the local school where they happily lied about their grandchildren living with them in order to get them in.
Parochial parking ponces on 18:46 - Mar 14 with 1214 viewsLeoMuff

Parochial parking ponces on 18:12 - Mar 14 by WD19

Amen to that.

Folk opposite me have been boiling my piss for years. Calling parking enforcement to ticket unsuspecting motorists on an almost daily basis. I genuinely can’t believe that somebody hasnt put a brick through their window before now.

I parked (legally) outside their house once and they knocked on my door to ask when I was planning to move my car. This is despite them having a driveway with space for 2 cars (and only one of their own).

Their ‘local roads for local people’ mindset did not stretch to the local school where they happily lied about their grandchildren living with them in order to get them in.

Neighbour near us has drive space for 4 cars, then parks his 2 outside on road to block spaces. Used to confront me when I parked there, told him it perfectly legal and fine to park there.

Now I park there whenever I can, even when the whole road is free, just to get his goat

The only Muff in Town.
Poll: Lamberts rotational policy has left us....

Parochial parking ponces on 18:48 - Mar 14 with 1202 viewsfactual_blue

Parochial parking ponces on 18:12 - Mar 14 by WD19

Amen to that.

No need for the brick.

Contact the grandchildrens' school.

Login to get fewer ads

Parochial parking ponces on 18:51 - Mar 14 with 1197 viewsfactual_blue

Parochial parking ponces on 18:46 - Mar 14 by LeoMuff

Neighbour near us has drive space for 4 cars, then parks his 2 outside on road to block spaces. Used to confront me when I parked there, told him it perfectly legal and fine to park there.

Now I park there whenever I can, even when the whole road is free, just to get his goat

A Well-known Peer Of The Realm in Bury St Edmunds has garaging for about a dozen cars at his property, but still put his wife's car in a nearby disabled parking space (she was disabled).
[Post edited 14 Mar 2021 18:52]

Parochial parking ponces on 18:58 - Mar 14 with 1182 viewsWD19

Parochial parking ponces on 18:48 - Mar 14 by factual_blue

No need for the brick.

Contact the grandchildrens' school.

Honestly, it took an enormous amount of self control over many years not to.
Parochial parking ponces on 19:12 - Mar 14 with 1137 viewsgainsboroughblue

This reminds me of my parents' neighbours. There is space outside, comfortably for two cars on the road (both houses have drive ways). They always park one of their cars on the road between the dropped kerbs but park it smack bang in the middle so nobody else (i.e. me when I visit) can park there.

Nothing against the law in what they are doing but demonstrates a bit of a 'This is our road' mentality. If I ever get there while they are out, I see them come back and no word of a lie, the woman gets out and passive aggressively while peering into my parents' window, guides the bloke into the space like I've left them a couple of millimetres to get into.
[Post edited 14 Mar 2021 19:13]

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Parochial parking ponces on 19:19 - Mar 14 with 1110 viewswitchdoctor

Parochial parking ponces on 18:58 - Mar 14 by WD19

that’s because you’re not a grass....unlike....
Parochial parking ponces on 19:22 - Mar 14 with 1099 viewsGeoffSentence

Parochial parking ponces on 19:12 - Mar 14 by gainsboroughblue

This reminds me of my parents' neighbours. There is space outside, comfortably for two cars on the road (both houses have drive ways). They always park one of their cars on the road between the dropped kerbs but park it smack bang in the middle so nobody else (i.e. me when I visit) can park there.

Nothing against the law in what they are doing but demonstrates a bit of a 'This is our road' mentality. If I ever get there while they are out, I see them come back and no word of a lie, the woman gets out and passive aggressively while peering into my parents' window, guides the bloke into the space like I've left them a couple of millimetres to get into.
[Post edited 14 Mar 2021 19:13]

Sounds like they they might be sht at parking.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Parochial parking ponces on 19:25 - Mar 14 with 1090 viewsgainsboroughblue

Parochial parking ponces on 19:22 - Mar 14 by GeoffSentence

Sounds like they they might be sht at parking.

No, they're just a***holes.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Parochial parking ponces on 19:27 - Mar 14 with 1084 viewsjeera

Parochial parking ponces on 18:58 - Mar 14 by WD19

You could wrap a note around the brick.

"I know what you did".

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Parochial parking ponces on 07:36 - Mar 15 with 910 viewsDeano69

One of the disadvantages of no longer having a Tax Disc displayed, I recall telling a ‘do gooder’ that despite his insistence I can’t park on the road outside his house for an hour, the valid tax on my car suggests I can place my car quite legitimately anywhere on the public highway.

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024