Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
w/r/t the new focus on data and analytics in recruiting 22:15 - Apr 1 with 762 viewsScottCandage

It's like they say about investing: the best time to invest was yesterday, but the next best time to invest is today.

We can complain about what hasn't been done, but at least we can be pleased that we are finally doing the right thing today.
w/r/t the new focus on data and analytics in recruiting on 22:21 - Apr 1 with 724 viewsNthsuffolkblue

There are lies, damn lies and statistics.

It is important that the data is properly analysed by people who truly understand it.

The same player in different teams will have very different statistics depending on tactics, the level of the team, the quality of the other players around them and much more.

Use of data is good but it needs to be used well.

We need players who will preform well. We have had too many players who once played well but can't any longer.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

w/r/t the new focus on data and analytics in recruiting on 22:28 - Apr 1 with 695 viewsBelsteadCav

I thought it was an April fools 🤷🏼‍♂️

King of the board since 98
Poll: Updated Poll . What would you rather win as a Sportsman

w/r/t the new focus on data and analytics in recruiting on 22:35 - Apr 1 with 687 viewsSwansea_Blue

Fair point. Are we going to do the right thing though? Stats are easy. Understanding them and using them effectively is much harder and it’s easily possible to feck it up. Swansea went hard down this route when their new American owners came in a couple of seasons before they got relegated. Turns out stats analysts aren’t the best at picking a football team. They improved once the current manager started bringing in players he’d worked with before so knew they’d fit how he wanted them to play.

If this is just another string to our bow, then fine. Most data analysts seem to be quite young and therefore relatively cheap as it’s a fairly new field. So it shouldn’t cost a lot. And it could provide some useful info for the recruitment team. If they think it’s a magic bullet to solve dodgy recruitment, we’re fecked. It’ll help support those who know what they’re doing but it’ll be no help to those who don’t.

Players like Mings and Kieffer Moore (ok, crap for us but has been good since he left) may well have gone under the radar in a moneyball approach. There’s no substitute for judgement based on experience, and I really hope the club remember that rather than waste money on what, for us, could turn out to be a gimmick.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

w/r/t the new focus on data and analytics in recruiting on 22:58 - Apr 1 with 655 viewsFixed_It

w/r/t the new focus on data and analytics in recruiting on 22:35 - Apr 1 by Swansea_Blue

Fair point. Are we going to do the right thing though? Stats are easy. Understanding them and using them effectively is much harder and it’s easily possible to feck it up. Swansea went hard down this route when their new American owners came in a couple of seasons before they got relegated. Turns out stats analysts aren’t the best at picking a football team. They improved once the current manager started bringing in players he’d worked with before so knew they’d fit how he wanted them to play.

If this is just another string to our bow, then fine. Most data analysts seem to be quite young and therefore relatively cheap as it’s a fairly new field. So it shouldn’t cost a lot. And it could provide some useful info for the recruitment team. If they think it’s a magic bullet to solve dodgy recruitment, we’re fecked. It’ll help support those who know what they’re doing but it’ll be no help to those who don’t.

Players like Mings and Kieffer Moore (ok, crap for us but has been good since he left) may well have gone under the radar in a moneyball approach. There’s no substitute for judgement based on experience, and I really hope the club remember that rather than waste money on what, for us, could turn out to be a gimmick.

Not trying to read too much into it, but weren't our American 'friends' linked with an analytical approach at at least one of the teams they have been involved in?

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

w/r/t the new focus on data and analytics in recruiting on 23:10 - Apr 1 with 631 viewsSwansea_Blue

w/r/t the new focus on data and analytics in recruiting on 22:58 - Apr 1 by Fixed_It

Not trying to read too much into it, but weren't our American 'friends' linked with an analytical approach at at least one of the teams they have been involved in?

Might be - it's a big thing over there. And it was the Americans who thought they could bring it to Swansea, using some supposed bigshot in the states to crunch the stats. That didn't last long, he didn't have the first clue about our 'soccer' players. They still sue it of course, but they don't lead wi hte stats (which is as it should be).

Our announcement today is akin to an amateur golfer announcing they expect exciting things on the pro tour next season because they've bought a new putter!

I'm probably being harsh, but only because every announcement and every ME initiative always turns to crap.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

w/r/t the new focus on data and analytics in recruiting on 00:29 - Apr 2 with 577 viewsIllinoisblue

It’s 2021. It’s hard to be upbeat about something smart clubs were doing 20 years ago. Also hard to understand why the club would merrily tweet and FB about it. Why tout the fact you’re only now catching up?

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

w/r/t the new focus on data and analytics in recruiting on 00:55 - Apr 2 with 556 viewsacj

I might be wrong, but I think I remember Mick speaking about signing Knudsen largely based on statistical analysis, and finding him through Wyscout rather than the club’s traditional recruitment approach.

Poll: Will Town score again this season?

w/r/t the new focus on data and analytics in recruiting on 01:22 - Apr 2 with 534 viewsbournemouthblue

w/r/t the new focus on data and analytics in recruiting on 22:35 - Apr 1 by Swansea_Blue

Data as much as anything simply is an aid as you say. It's not the be all and end all but it can help.

How detailed that data is and how that's interpreted too is a question in itself.

It will also be down to how we apply to whatever formula we feel it is meant to be driving to, is it to identify individual talent or a group of players who are greater than the some of it's parts. It's not an exact science, there's a lot of trial and error involved I'm sure. It could take years to bare fruit.

It is more likely to work better if the club has a philosophy and identity of how it wants to play and what we are trying to build.

We have been quite confused with this and that was even true with McCarthy who often employed entirely different tactics in the first team with how the rest of the club was doing it. I don't begrudge the results MM got and he very nearly cracked it but it wasn't the way our youths were brought up to play, not thewt any of his successors have managed anything even close to that either.
[Post edited 2 Apr 2021 1:25]

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024