Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Reaping what you sow 10:54 - May 1 with 1164 viewsPendejo

I spent 2004-2020 at an employer where I tried cultivating an environment where politeness, respect and decency were valued. It is really simple; treat others how you wish to be treated, but there are complexities to implementation.

Common sense! I hear you cry.
Well sadly not; there was an atmosphere of aggression, bullying and being just downright rude. Hence a high staff turn over, especially of those with under 1 year's service.

Gradually over that period I managed to influence others, but the negative influencers were in the majority so it was often a struggle. And as this negative influence was seemingly fostered at Director / Chief Officer level, it probably cost me promotion, bonus and or salary increases.

My biggest success is when I was on the verge of leaving the company, was begged to stay by 3 of the said D/ CO, and I stayed.
I got a pay rise despite moving from a management role to, effectively, becoming a trainee.

This was into the team with the worst reputation for macho posturing, bullying and being downright rude, people who seemed to think having a soft calm voice and being polite were signs of weakness.

Me, yep soft calm voice and polite. Weak? In the work place, no.

I've worked fraud and money laundering investigations in places such as Moss Side Manchester, Toxteth Liverpool, Belfast, and as if they weren't dangerous enough off to Latin America, specifically Bogota, Colombia. (Though I'd rate Venezuela as the most dangerous place I've visited)

I'm not big or physically tough, but I am reasonably mentally strong and have a sixth sense for danger.... All of which made me more confident in myself than my colleagues, however much silverback chest beating they did.

My confidence was built on knowledge; I knew the rules, regs, contracts, T & C off by heart. Furthermore I rarely take things personally, even if perhaps sometimes I should. Finally, treat others... Etc.

Simply by being polite I was successful.
"But we don't have time to fanny around" - my call stats showed my polite persuasion resulted in shorter and more numerous calls with a greater success rate. No means no, move on to next call!

I gained a nickname "smooth talking assassin" as people felt powerless against politeness and informed logical reasoning, to the extent people were working for me even if contractually they could refuse.

The success was so noticeable my colleagues simply had to copy my style, but was aided by my being able to train a young protege.

This earned me a promotion to dealing with the elite chauffeurs and the "high touch" big money clients, until covid ended out world.

Now I have a new job, slightly different but linked industry and this week I found myself in a position where I had 4 driver vacancies. So, emails, WhatsApp and linked in messages were sent.
And got back responses from people I do not (did not) have contact details before in addition to those I did.

The job is zero hours, doesn't particularly pay well but probably suits some of my old chauffeurs, who are wrong side of 65 but aren't quite ready to fully retire yet.

The response though, when word got out I was hiring was humbling, people want to work for me. Those that rejected it because I couldn't guarantee earnings have requested I let them know if I have FT vacancies in the future.

Considering our previous employer effectively ceased to exist over 13 months ago, we've not had contact and these guys are in some form of employment, I honestly feel I have reaped what I've sown.

Thank you for reading

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Reaping what you sow on 10:59 - May 1 with 1108 viewsBlueBadger

I like that this autobiographical tale could also been seen as a metaphor for what should be happening at ITFC.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Reaping what you sow on 11:11 - May 1 with 1047 viewsBiGDonnie

Enjoyed that. Can I ask, are you in recruitment now?

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

Reaping what you sow on 11:17 - May 1 with 1026 viewsfactual_blue

Reaping what you sow on 11:11 - May 1 by BiGDonnie

Enjoyed that. Can I ask, are you in recruitment now?

Depends.

Are you a mercenary?

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Reaping what you sow on 11:28 - May 1 with 1009 viewsEwan_Oozami

Excellent to hear compadre!

The Good amongst us may not always come first, but they always bounce back because they've got people who'll do that little bit extra for them..good luck in your future endeavours!

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

Reaping what you sow on 12:04 - May 1 with 946 viewsElephantintheRoom

I honestly thought all that rambling about bullying and money laundering in strange and dangerous places was a build up to the punchline that you'd worked at Ipswich Town and things were now the worst they'd ever been

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Reaping what you sow on 14:39 - May 1 with 691 viewssolomon

Excellent stuff, well done, agree with your approach totally.

Have been a bit of an outsider in my workplace so I can understand where your coming from.
Reaping what you sow on 15:35 - May 1 with 629 viewsArnoldMoorhen

You're clearly not such a pendejo after all!

I'll be in touch when I'm ready to move on!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024