Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Garvan piece in the EADT was a good read 09:01 - Jun 10 with 2450 viewsCheltenham_Blue

And another example of players talking about how some professional footballers simply 'go through the motions', but don't ever push them selves to a higher level, either by being apathetic toward training or 'homework' as Garvan put it.

I do wonder, if this is the kind of attitude that Cook is trying to push out of the club? Players who are just going through the motions.

If so, good.
To get back where we should be, we need a squad full of winners.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

The Garvan piece in the EADT was a good read on 14:38 - Jun 10 with 2161 viewsArnieM

I think the squad that. Ok has just dismantled displayed everything that Garvan came to despise in the game. I’m struggling to pick Amy player out of that squad that wasn’t going through the motions. Some couldn’t even be bothered to do that, and yet still picked up their wages every month.

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

The Garvan piece in the EADT was a good read on 16:22 - Jun 10 with 1867 viewstortoise

The Garvan piece in the EADT was a good read on 14:38 - Jun 10 by ArnieM

I think the squad that. Ok has just dismantled displayed everything that Garvan came to despise in the game. I’m struggling to pick Amy player out of that squad that wasn’t going through the motions. Some couldn’t even be bothered to do that, and yet still picked up their wages every month.

I go through the motions at work quite often and rarely do any extra research. Sometimes I may even come across as unenthusiastic. I’m still quite happy to pick up my wages. Wasn’t it the ex Spurs defender who said he didn’t much like football but it was a job that paid well…
The Garvan piece in the EADT was a good read on 16:45 - Jun 10 with 1795 viewsHARRY10

I read this when looking at their sponsors cock-up (so to speak)

"Changing that losing mindset so quickly is arguably one of Farke’s greatest achievements, and Hanley believes the quick turnaround helped players get over their relegation disappointment"

Hopefully this is what Cook will change. Not necessarily to the intense training, but to that of a winning mentality from the squad. Supple spoke of the same problem previously, and until now we have not had the opportunity of an almost complete clear out, so as to start afresh.

https://www.pinkun.com/sport/norwich-players-shocked-by-daniel-farke-8040000
The Garvan piece in the EADT was a good read on 17:24 - Jun 10 with 1732 viewsSharkey

I think he also said that the best times of his career were in the youth team, and then at Crystal Palace, where the turnover of players was much slower. I get the feeling he liked the simple joy of playing football with his mates, (Darren Ambrose for one, I suppose) and didn't like playing in teams with people he scarcely knew - he mentioned playing with loan players without even knowing their proper names.

It was also sad to read how homesick and lonely he was, and I think some of the resentment of some other players was down to the feeling that after work they could go home and have their other lives, whereas he could not go home.

He was a lovely player to watch. As he said himself, he was perhaps not fast enough for the game now, when every player has to be a supreme athlete.
The Garvan piece in the EADT was a good read on 19:25 - Jun 10 with 1552 viewspatrickswell

The Garvan piece in the EADT was a good read on 17:24 - Jun 10 by Sharkey

I think he also said that the best times of his career were in the youth team, and then at Crystal Palace, where the turnover of players was much slower. I get the feeling he liked the simple joy of playing football with his mates, (Darren Ambrose for one, I suppose) and didn't like playing in teams with people he scarcely knew - he mentioned playing with loan players without even knowing their proper names.

It was also sad to read how homesick and lonely he was, and I think some of the resentment of some other players was down to the feeling that after work they could go home and have their other lives, whereas he could not go home.

He was a lovely player to watch. As he said himself, he was perhaps not fast enough for the game now, when every player has to be a supreme athlete.

If this is from the piece he was interviewed for last year, the most frustrating thing to read was about how easily derailed our confidence could be after suffering a defeat.
The Garvan piece in the EADT was a good read on 19:35 - Jun 10 with 1511 viewsSharkey

The Garvan piece in the EADT was a good read on 19:25 - Jun 10 by patrickswell

If this is from the piece he was interviewed for last year, the most frustrating thing to read was about how easily derailed our confidence could be after suffering a defeat.

Yes, I thought that was the piece the OP was about. (Apologies if not. )
The Garvan piece in the EADT was a good read on 19:56 - Jun 10 with 1448 viewsArnieM

The Garvan piece in the EADT was a good read on 16:22 - Jun 10 by tortoise

I go through the motions at work quite often and rarely do any extra research. Sometimes I may even come across as unenthusiastic. I’m still quite happy to pick up my wages. Wasn’t it the ex Spurs defender who said he didn’t much like football but it was a job that paid well…

That’s it in a nutshell really, isn’t it. It’s a job , and only that to the majority of footballers. Unlike the fans. What I don’t like from players ( which at least Edwards didn’t do to his credit), is all the bullshyte about, “I love this club”, …”want to stay”etc etc , when all the time they are only looking out for the bank balance. Far too many players to name who fit that bill-at ITFC in recent years.
Edwards knew before the end of the season that clubs were after him, and that he would move on. I honestly don’t know why Cook played him …the last game being typical example of his disrespect for the Club and new manager. Utter garbage from a player that had “ left the room”.

What I will say about Edwards is IMHO, he has the ability to make an impact in a game. But if the defender has his number, or puts in a physical challenge on him, that Edwards done for that game. He’s lazy and always looking for the easy ride all the time. Certainly doesn’t fit the new era model , does he !

But good luck to him.at Wigan, and I hope he proves himself up there, because he certainly didn’t here. I doubt he’ll get warm welcome on his return m unlike some other players who have also left this summer.

The Garvan piece in the EADT was a good read on 22:06 - Jun 10 with 1297 viewsitfcjoe

The Garvan piece in the EADT was a good read on 19:56 - Jun 10 by ArnieM

That’s it in a nutshell really, isn’t it. It’s a job , and only that to the majority of footballers. Unlike the fans. What I don’t like from players ( which at least Edwards didn’t do to his credit), is all the bullshyte about, “I love this club”, …”want to stay”etc etc , when all the time they are only looking out for the bank balance. Far too many players to name who fit that bill-at ITFC in recent years.
Edwards knew before the end of the season that clubs were after him, and that he would move on. I honestly don’t know why Cook played him …the last game being typical example of his disrespect for the Club and new manager. Utter garbage from a player that had “ left the room”.

What I will say about Edwards is IMHO, he has the ability to make an impact in a game. But if the defender has his number, or puts in a physical challenge on him, that Edwards done for that game. He’s lazy and always looking for the easy ride all the time. Certainly doesn’t fit the new era model , does he !

But good luck to him.at Wigan, and I hope he proves himself up there, because he certainly didn’t here. I doubt he’ll get warm welcome on his return m unlike some other players who have also left this summer.

He's not lazy though, and I just don't see this talk of players looking out for their bank balance - they are just professional sportsmen trying their best and failing in a situation where a lot of factors are oputside their control

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Login to get fewer ads

The Garvan piece in the EADT was a good read on 06:48 - Jun 11 with 1032 viewsArnieM

The Garvan piece in the EADT was a good read on 22:06 - Jun 10 by itfcjoe

He's not lazy though, and I just don't see this talk of players looking out for their bank balance - they are just professional sportsmen trying their best and failing in a situation where a lot of factors are oputside their control

So as an example , you’d call Edwards display in the penultimate game as “ trying their best” would you ?

Or the countless times he’d leave the right bank exposed because he could be arsed to track back...

Or maybe the many games where the opposing defender had “ sussed “ him , and Edwards throwing the towel in for the rest of the game regarding taking his opponent on ?

He’s a typical winger IMO, playing very hot and cold . More often cold .

I can remember sitting at the back of the stand at the Forest game , when about half a dozen Town players came and sat amongst us. The fans were singing non stop that game , trying to spur a lacklustre Town side on. These players say amongst us and interacted with us . Had a chat with us , we’re willing to have photos with young fans ...... all except one . He sat there with a slapped arse of a face on and wouldn’t speak to a single fan. That has remained with me I’m afraid . He is supposed to be a professional footballer of the club, a representative on ITFC. He , like all of them are paid more money than you or I could dream of , and he couldn’t be arsed to interact with the fans . No Mr, I don’t like him on the pitch or off it .

The Garvan piece in the EADT was a good read on 09:40 - Jun 11 with 918 viewsgoperryrevs

The Garvan piece in the EADT was a good read on 06:48 - Jun 11 by ArnieM

So as an example , you’d call Edwards display in the penultimate game as “ trying their best” would you ?

Or the countless times he’d leave the right bank exposed because he could be arsed to track back...

Or maybe the many games where the opposing defender had “ sussed “ him , and Edwards throwing the towel in for the rest of the game regarding taking his opponent on ?

He’s a typical winger IMO, playing very hot and cold . More often cold .

I can remember sitting at the back of the stand at the Forest game , when about half a dozen Town players came and sat amongst us. The fans were singing non stop that game , trying to spur a lacklustre Town side on. These players say amongst us and interacted with us . Had a chat with us , we’re willing to have photos with young fans ...... all except one . He sat there with a slapped arse of a face on and wouldn’t speak to a single fan. That has remained with me I’m afraid . He is supposed to be a professional footballer of the club, a representative on ITFC. He , like all of them are paid more money than you or I could dream of , and he couldn’t be arsed to interact with the fans . No Mr, I don’t like him on the pitch or off it .

Football-wise, fair enough - you're basing your judgement on seeing him play on multiple occasions, so statistically that's reasonable, and I wouldn't disagree - he could be a frustrating player to watch.

Re: The Forest game, maybe he'd just had a really bad day that day - could have been something totally unrelated to football, or anything? You interacted with him on one day of his whole life, and that could have just been a really bad one.

I just wouldn't want someone judging my character on meeting me on one of my 'worst' days and assuming that's how I am every other day. Maybe his pet died, maybe he had a migraine, maybe he'd fallen out with someone...? who knows?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024