Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
More advice sought: selling a car to someone who isn't there! 20:59 - Jul 18 with 785 viewsNthQldITFC

Hoping for some helpful advice from twtd:hive.

If a buyer is sending someone to pick up the car (which is not currently roadworthy, so it's a transporter job), and the buyer himself will not be there, how should you handle signatures on the V5C and the 'sold as seen' receipt?

The guy is happy to pay by bank transfer without viewing the car.

TIA. twtd:hive.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

More advice sought: selling a car to someone who isn't there! on 21:04 - Jul 18 with 763 viewsbluelagos

I did something similar a few years back. I wrote the receipt in the name of the new owner and made sure that his name was written in on both parts of the V5 (the bit the buyer took and the bit I sent off to the dvla).

Cant remember about the signature. Presumably that's on his part rather than the bit you send off?

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

More advice sought: selling a car to someone who isn't there! on 21:11 - Jul 18 with 726 viewsNthQldITFC

More advice sought: selling a car to someone who isn't there! on 21:04 - Jul 18 by bluelagos

I did something similar a few years back. I wrote the receipt in the name of the new owner and made sure that his name was written in on both parts of the V5 (the bit the buyer took and the bit I sent off to the dvla).

Cant remember about the signature. Presumably that's on his part rather than the bit you send off?

Thanks bluelagos. The signature is on the bit that you send off, BUT I have just seen (in the obvious place to look, duh!, the gov.uk DVLA section) that you don't need t send it off any more, you can just complete it online. One problem solved.

Now just need to work out how I can get a valid signature on the 'sold as seen' receipt. Perhaps I can get hime to send me a message authorising the carrier to sign it?

More advice sought: selling a car to someone who isn't there! on 21:38 - Jul 18 with 692 viewsNthQldITFC

More advice sought: selling a car to someone who isn't there! on 21:11 - Jul 18 by NthQldITFC

Thanks bluelagos. The signature is on the bit that you send off, BUT I have just seen (in the obvious place to look, duh!, the gov.uk DVLA section) that you don't need t send it off any more, you can just complete it online. One problem solved.

Now just need to work out how I can get a valid signature on the 'sold as seen' receipt. Perhaps I can get hime to send me a message authorising the carrier to sign it?

Has anyone ever used anything like this?

https://www.docusign.co.uk/how-it-works/online-signature

Is it legally binding?

More advice sought: selling a car to someone who isn't there! on 21:40 - Jul 18 with 688 viewsmickeyjb

I recently put an add on gumtree to sell a car. Within an hour I had someone contact me asking if I would speak to him via his email instead of the app. He then said (via email) he had seen all the details of my car and didn’t need to see it and that he would pay me via pay pal, and could I remove it from the listing as he wanted it. He also said he couldn’t collect it because he had a heart by pass and was hard of hearing. He would send someone to collect it

Basically if I’d have given him my pay pal details he would have had that plus the email and I’d have no monitoring the message (outside of the gumtree app)

This was an attempted scam so please be careful. This was the second time it’s happened to me, first was with a scooter.
More advice sought: selling a car to someone who isn't there! on 21:57 - Jul 18 with 655 viewsNthQldITFC

More advice sought: selling a car to someone who isn't there! on 21:40 - Jul 18 by mickeyjb

I recently put an add on gumtree to sell a car. Within an hour I had someone contact me asking if I would speak to him via his email instead of the app. He then said (via email) he had seen all the details of my car and didn’t need to see it and that he would pay me via pay pal, and could I remove it from the listing as he wanted it. He also said he couldn’t collect it because he had a heart by pass and was hard of hearing. He would send someone to collect it

Basically if I’d have given him my pay pal details he would have had that plus the email and I’d have no monitoring the message (outside of the gumtree app)

This was an attempted scam so please be careful. This was the second time it’s happened to me, first was with a scooter.

Thanks, the guy in this case is happy to pay by bank transfer, so I'll get to see the money in my account before parting with anything. Also all communications have gone through eBay. I'm only concerned at the moment because I won't be able to get his signature on a sold as seen receipt, unless I am missing something?

More advice sought: selling a car to someone who isn't there! on 22:15 - Jul 18 with 619 viewsPendejo

More advice sought: selling a car to someone who isn't there! on 21:38 - Jul 18 by NthQldITFC

Is it legally binding?

Yes, employer used it to do our redundancies last year.

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

More advice sought: selling a car to someone who isn't there! on 23:35 - Jul 18 with 568 viewsPlums

More advice sought: selling a car to someone who isn't there! on 21:57 - Jul 18 by NthQldITFC

Thanks, the guy in this case is happy to pay by bank transfer, so I'll get to see the money in my account before parting with anything. Also all communications have gone through eBay. I'm only concerned at the moment because I won't be able to get his signature on a sold as seen receipt, unless I am missing something?

I’d be extremely cautious. This sounds like a classic scam. If the money is coming from a compromised account, you’ll lose the car and the cash - even if it hits your account. Take a look through this thread:

https://www.hotukdeals.com/discussions/can-bank-transfers-be-reversed-by-a-scamm

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

More advice sought: selling a car to someone who isn't there! on 01:51 - Jul 19 with 501 viewsHARRY10

More advice sought: selling a car to someone who isn't there! on 21:38 - Jul 18 by NthQldITFC

Is it legally binding?

yes

and it was for renting workspace through a well established letting agent, so presume it was all legal
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024