Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What does it take ? 09:03 - Aug 1 with 1112 viewsmuccletonjoe

Well, it takes a great deal more games than a few pre season friendlies, no matter how challenging the last 2 or 3 have been.
There is a school of thought that you could put together the world's best 11 in each position , and you would still not have a cohesive team. I would agree wholeheartedly with that theory, players take time not only getting their heads around a new system, but also learning the gameplay of new players.
Suffice to say, we now have a team full of these players, some may well settle in sooner than others , but a learning curve of some description awaits them all.
The very best we can hope for next week and beyond, is we have the quality if not consistency to tag onto the top 10 and give a settled side the opportunity of a run at the top 6 in the latter stages of the season.
Look for improvements
Look for a settled side
Look for effort
But don't look to be top of the league by bank holiday Monday.
It ain't gonna happen.

What does it take ? on 09:22 - Aug 1 with 1043 viewsquad

Yes it is.
What does it take ? on 09:43 - Aug 1 with 979 viewsWD19

What does it take ? on 09:22 - Aug 1 by quad

Yes it is.

The kindest imaginable fixtures in the first month and we are ‘hoping’ to ‘tag on’ to the coat tails of the top 10. Sorry, I am not sure that is going to fly.

We are clearly a massive work in progress with gaps to plug. Goals still seem hard to come by. Patience and understanding are going to be needed, but I am not sure we can afford to totally write off as much of the season as some are suggesting.
What does it take ? on 09:53 - Aug 1 with 951 viewsquad

What does it take ? on 09:43 - Aug 1 by WD19

The kindest imaginable fixtures in the first month and we are ‘hoping’ to ‘tag on’ to the coat tails of the top 10. Sorry, I am not sure that is going to fly.

We are clearly a massive work in progress with gaps to plug. Goals still seem hard to come by. Patience and understanding are going to be needed, but I am not sure we can afford to totally write off as much of the season as some are suggesting.

I'm not saying we will be top of the league but I'd like to think it's possible. We went top for a while the last couple of seasons when we've had a sh*t side who couldn't score in a brothel. So I'd like to at least hope we can do a lot better, nobody can say for certain that it ain't gonna happen. There are still some poor teams in this league who wen should be able to beat even when we're not fully up to speed, like Morecambe.
What does it take ? on 10:05 - Aug 1 with 913 viewsCoastalblue

This seems to be the new 'Ipswich way', spending every pre-season talking about time for the players to gel, learn the system, settle in to the new way.

Plenty of teams will have a large influx of new players to accomodate, and if we are buying the quality we like to think we are then while we may not see them exceeding the sum of their parts and hitting the heights they are capable of for a while we still ought to have enough quality to be very competitve with most sides in this league from day one.

Millwall clearly arean't most sides in this league.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

What does it take ? on 06:32 - Aug 29 with 577 viewsmuccletonjoe

Well I did say. But some big, big issues have come up and need addressing.
What does it take ? on 07:13 - Aug 29 with 513 viewsLightworker

Swindon town had about 8 first team players on the books when Simpson signed on loan for them, they literally scrambled an entirely new team together just in time to fulfil their first fixture. They have now won 3 matches and sit 4th in League 2.

There are no more excuses, with the fixtures we had our start has been terrible and there is no getting away from that.
What does it take ? on 07:42 - Aug 29 with 469 viewsSharkey

What does it take ? on 07:13 - Aug 29 by Lightworker

Swindon town had about 8 first team players on the books when Simpson signed on loan for them, they literally scrambled an entirely new team together just in time to fulfil their first fixture. They have now won 3 matches and sit 4th in League 2.

There are no more excuses, with the fixtures we had our start has been terrible and there is no getting away from that.

You have to feel for John McGreal. ( Neat rhyme by chance.) Feels he has no alternative but to get out, ... and then sees this.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024