Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Is 15 league games fair to decide if this is going to work? 22:56 - Oct 2 with 861 viewsmattyhollandsirish

Seems like a suitable amount of games to me. Probably need to pick up 9 or 10 points from the next 5 and if so, there's possibly a good argument the little recent 3 game unbeaten run was a sign we're turning it around.

Anything less and it's looking like that run and especially the Doncaster game were more out of line with how the team are really developing.

We all desperately want Cook to concede, but likewise we can't afford to accept such poor performances at Accrington Stanley. We knew exactly what we'd face today and simply haven't had enough about us to deal with it.

I think Cook needs a serious reaction from the players against The Shrews on 23:10 - Oct 2 with 810 viewsunstableblue

Whilst I agree 15 games may be long enough period to give Cook, we need to get A LOT of points from the remaining October games.

But what Cook needs is a very energetic and hungry display on Saturday.

When players are so lacking desire, and the manager clearly must have laid into them, a test of his dressing room control is that they now react with a very different display!

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Is 15 league games fair to decide if this is going to work? on 00:08 - Oct 3 with 749 viewsIllinoisblue

There’s been a mental and physical weakness at the club for so long it’s never even a surprise when we get “bullied” by supposedly lesser teams. The manager (rightly) gets a lot of stick but maybe for once the players could dig deep and show some fight.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Is 15 league games fair to decide if this is going to work? on 00:34 - Oct 3 with 719 viewsChurchman

Is 15 league games fair to decide if this is going to work? on 00:08 - Oct 3 by Illinoisblue

There’s been a mental and physical weakness at the club for so long it’s never even a surprise when we get “bullied” by supposedly lesser teams. The manager (rightly) gets a lot of stick but maybe for once the players could dig deep and show some fight.

Yes, the club is a byword for mediocrity and failure now. Has been for years. As for the players, Cook wanted them. If they have no fight, no willingness to do the basics, they’re his players. It’s down to him.

We had a ‘never again’ moment after the Bolton debacle. Four games later, here we are again. As we languish deservedly at the bottom of the old third division, this looks far more than a bad day at the office to me.

In the 21st century 15 games is more than enough. The old ‘give the manager three years’ idea is long dead and rightly so. Besides if the owners are serious about doing something here, I really can’t see them waiting forever to see if Cook can stumble across a team.
Is 15 league games fair to decide if this is going to work? on 00:48 - Oct 3 with 706 viewsThe_Major

Unless we have a seven or eight game losing streak, I don't think that will happen.

At the fans forum in July, Cook, O'Leary and Ashton all said that if it takes more than one year to get up, then so be it. And one would assume that's the message they've taken back to the US. Now, having said that, that doesn't mean they're just going to give him a clean slate to do what he wants, they'll want to see improvement on last year. After backing him to the hilt with transfers, they're going to want to give a CERTAIN amount of time to see if it works. Bringing someone in new now would just turn everything upside down again. They will want to give him most of this season and at least the January window to try and sort it out.

However, if we get to March, and we languishing in 17th place, then yes, the time is probably right, as we wouldn't have any hope of going up. It would give the next poor sap a chance to see the lie of the land and what changes need to be made, if any, over the summer.

And furthermore there is a crucial difference between not going up by being hopeless, and not going up due to heroic failure (play off defeat, missing out on play-offs by goal difference etc) - if that happened, I'd be happy for him to stay, as it showed an improvement on last year.

So, in a nutshell, unless he turns in to Daniel Farke in the Premier League, he ain't going anywhere until the spring at the earliest.
Is 15 league games fair to decide if this is going to work? on 00:57 - Oct 3 with 694 viewsBlueBadger

Is 15 league games fair to decide if this is going to work? on 00:34 - Oct 3 by Churchman

Yes, the club is a byword for mediocrity and failure now. Has been for years. As for the players, Cook wanted them. If they have no fight, no willingness to do the basics, they’re his players. It’s down to him.

We had a ‘never again’ moment after the Bolton debacle. Four games later, here we are again. As we languish deservedly at the bottom of the old third division, this looks far more than a bad day at the office to me.

In the 21st century 15 games is more than enough. The old ‘give the manager three years’ idea is long dead and rightly so. Besides if the owners are serious about doing something here, I really can’t see them waiting forever to see if Cook can stumble across a team.

'Free hits' is what has damned us as a club. We stuck with Keane too long, we stuck with Lambert too long, We stuck with Jewell too long. Hell, even the only competent manager that Marcus Evans employed was in the job too long. We are starting to look like we are sticking with cook too long. The only manager we've had that was sacked when he should have been was Hurst.

And even then, he probably should have gone before that.

F**k free hits. Free hits condemned us to clapping our way to relegation, 'Lambo' banners and being marooned in the third division. 'Free hits' is nothing more than embracing mediocrity, it's just dressed up in the rags of 'but the match day experience and football are better'.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Is 15 league games fair to decide if this is going to work? on 04:06 - Oct 3 with 610 viewsIllinoisblue

Is 15 league games fair to decide if this is going to work? on 00:34 - Oct 3 by Churchman

I don’t particularly want Cook sacked as it will mean we’re failing yet again. On the other hand he’s done next to nothing to convince he can get a tune out of this very expensively assembled squad. Accrington with their 2k crowds and a budget of breadcrumbs have won 3 times as many games as we have this season. It’s not acceptable and Cook, frankly, could have zero complaints if he gets the boot.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Is 15 league games fair to decide if this is going to work? on 04:14 - Oct 3 with 593 viewsBondiBlue

Someone wrote a paper on when to sack a manager by BondiBlue 23 Sep 2018 22:02
“So the optimal strategy for a club would seem to be to allow a manager a honeymoon period of 8 games, and then sack him if his weighted average performance with a smoothing value of 0.121 (putting 47% of the weight on the last five games) falls below 0.74 points per game.
If a club follows this strategy it can expect to obtain 56.81 points per season. It can expect to employ 5.7 managers on average over the ten seasons, and the average quality of those managers will be 3/5ths of the way between good and excellent. To put this into perspective, 56.81 points would have secured a finishing position of 10th, 8th, 8th, 6th, 8th and 8th in the six seasons so far of a 20-club Premiership.”

https://www.jbs.cam.ac.uk/fileadmin/user_upload/faculty/downloads/hope_when_sack_manager.pdf

Poll: Which would you accept?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024