Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
People keep saying we have played the poor teams 08:16 - Oct 6 with 1845 viewsgmanrom

They say we will get stuffed by the good teams, I have a different take on it. We can't handle the rough and the long ball tripe like Accrington and Cheltenham etc, I think when we play the better teams and they try get the ball down and the pressure comes off of us, I think you will see these players level go up a notch or 2.

Poll: In the next 5 years what league do you us settling in?

People keep saying we have played the poor teams on 08:20 - Oct 6 with 1805 viewsHerbivore

We'll find out in November. However, there is far more dross in this league than there is quality so we quickly need to find a way of beating the crap teams too.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

People keep saying we have played the poor teams on 08:26 - Oct 6 with 1763 viewsgmanrom

People keep saying we have played the poor teams on 08:20 - Oct 6 by Herbivore

We'll find out in November. However, there is far more dross in this league than there is quality so we quickly need to find a way of beating the crap teams too.

Agree with that statement.

Poll: In the next 5 years what league do you us settling in?

People keep saying we have played the poor teams on 08:40 - Oct 6 with 1715 viewsitfcjoe

The top 2 teams in the league are Wycombe and Rotherham - they are hardly Brazil 1982....they are just better than the rough and tumble than Accrington and Cheltenham were which doesn't bode well

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

People keep saying we have played the poor teams on 08:47 - Oct 6 with 1659 viewstractorboy1978

Not sure that's the case at all. Bolton weren't rough and they took us apart. The reality is that we just haven't got properly going yet for whatever reason and we need to quickly. We need 3/4 wins on the spin and to go on a 8/9/10 game unbeaten run to build some momentum. Good sides that get promoted do that and a lot worse squads than we have, have done that in recent years.
People keep saying we have played the poor teams on 09:00 - Oct 6 with 1595 viewsYou_Bloo_Right

People keep saying we have played the poor teams on 08:40 - Oct 6 by itfcjoe

The top 2 teams in the league are Wycombe and Rotherham - they are hardly Brazil 1982....they are just better than the rough and tumble than Accrington and Cheltenham were which doesn't bode well

Wycombe are excellent as they play in my old primary school colours of blue and blue quartered shirts, where they disappoint is not playing the classic 2-3-5 formation.

Ainsworth out!

Poll: Are this group of ITFC players the best squad in the division?

People keep saying we have played the poor teams on 09:16 - Oct 6 with 1529 viewsjayessess

I think people have got a bit confused about how Accrington turned us over, really.

It wasn't particularly the aerial bombardment. Despite knocking a lot of aimless long balls towards Bonne, we actually won more aerial duels than they did! We've got 2 big centre halves who cope quite well with long balls.

The problem was that we couldn't play through Accrington, so they pressed higher and higher up the pitch. That meant we couldn't threaten them and couldn't keep the ball. It also meant that second half they were contesting (and winning) second balls much higher up the pitch. That made it easier for them to get hold of the ball in attacking areas and put in crosses. Even so, they were probably a bit fortunate to score twice in that second half, because we didn't actually yield many chances you'd expect the opposition to score from.

I don't think those problems get any easier playing against better passing sides. They'll press you in possession just as hard but they won't punt it back to you nearly so often.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

People keep saying we have played the poor teams on 09:19 - Oct 6 with 1511 viewsWestStanderLaLaLa

The back 4 and Morsy had a lot of the ball on Saturday even in the 2nd half but for some reason and this has been a feature all season we couldn’t get our attacking threats on the ball. The seeming inability to resolve this worries me.

Poll: Your favourite thing about THAT goal?

People keep saying we have played the poor teams on 09:23 - Oct 6 with 1462 viewsHerbivore

People keep saying we have played the poor teams on 09:19 - Oct 6 by WestStanderLaLaLa

The back 4 and Morsy had a lot of the ball on Saturday even in the 2nd half but for some reason and this has been a feature all season we couldn’t get our attacking threats on the ball. The seeming inability to resolve this worries me.

We've got two CBs who, on the evidence so far, are primarily stoppers. I'm not sure Edmundson or Burgess can bring the ball out or play an incisive pass on the deck to quickly transition us on to the front foot.

Login to get fewer ads

People keep saying we have played the poor teams on 09:39 - Oct 6 with 1394 viewsjayessess

People keep saying we have played the poor teams on 09:23 - Oct 6 by Herbivore

We've got two CBs who, on the evidence so far, are primarily stoppers. I'm not sure Edmundson or Burgess can bring the ball out or play an incisive pass on the deck to quickly transition us on to the front foot.

Really magnified Saturday when we were on the back foot, because both full backs and centre midfielders started moving the ball back towards the centre backs when pressured. With Donacien and Penney as full backs, Morsy and Evans as pivots, you're really limited in terms of out balls. Evans can't play on the half turn, so is largely useless in these situations, Donacien is great at lots of things, but isn't going to dribble his way past a high press. So you're left with Morsy trying to wriggle past his marker or Penney linking up with Fraser/Celina. Easy enough for a well-organised team to cope with.

People keep saying we have played the poor teams on 09:43 - Oct 6 with 1363 viewsHullblue

People keep saying we have played the poor teams on 09:39 - Oct 6 by jayessess

Really magnified Saturday when we were on the back foot, because both full backs and centre midfielders started moving the ball back towards the centre backs when pressured. With Donacien and Penney as full backs, Morsy and Evans as pivots, you're really limited in terms of out balls. Evans can't play on the half turn, so is largely useless in these situations, Donacien is great at lots of things, but isn't going to dribble his way past a high press. So you're left with Morsy trying to wriggle past his marker or Penney linking up with Fraser/Celina. Easy enough for a well-organised team to cope with.

Carroll is excellent at this and will help us, if fit. Given his injury record that’s a big if though.

Not sure why KVY wasn’t on the bench on Saturday - he would have helped too.

Blog: Sleep is the Cousin of Life

People keep saying we have played the poor teams on 09:52 - Oct 6 with 1321 viewsjayessess

People keep saying we have played the poor teams on 09:43 - Oct 6 by Hullblue

Carroll is excellent at this and will help us, if fit. Given his injury record that’s a big if though.

Not sure why KVY wasn’t on the bench on Saturday - he would have helped too.

I think any of Carroll, Harper and El Mizouni would probably be an upgrade on Evans right now, unfortunately. Evans doesn't seem to be particularly good at any of the three main tasks you need a pivot for - winning the ball back, recovering second balls, playing through the opposition's press.

People keep saying we have played the poor teams on 09:54 - Oct 6 with 1313 viewsitfcjoe

People keep saying we have played the poor teams on 09:52 - Oct 6 by jayessess

I think any of Carroll, Harper and El Mizouni would probably be an upgrade on Evans right now, unfortunately. Evans doesn't seem to be particularly good at any of the three main tasks you need a pivot for - winning the ball back, recovering second balls, playing through the opposition's press.

He did score a hat trick last week so not all that bad....!

I don't think harper an improvement there, he just looks so ill suited to the role, even last night he wasn't up to much. - he's an '8' in modern midfield parlance

People keep saying we have played the poor teams on 10:01 - Oct 6 with 1269 viewsjayessess

People keep saying we have played the poor teams on 09:54 - Oct 6 by itfcjoe

He did score a hat trick last week so not all that bad....!

I don't think harper an improvement there, he just looks so ill suited to the role, even last night he wasn't up to much. - he's an '8' in modern midfield parlance

Nice though it was, as Cook intimated scoring hat-tricks isn't really his job!

Harper isn't an improvement on Evans with tasks 1 and 2, but he is with task 3. Think with Morsy as a definite 4 and Harper as a definite 8 that balance might work better than Evans/Morsy (at least in its current manifestation).

People keep saying we have played the poor teams on 10:02 - Oct 6 with 1245 viewsHerbivore

People keep saying we have played the poor teams on 10:01 - Oct 6 by jayessess

Harper isn't an improvement on Evans with tasks 1 and 2, but he is with task 3. Think with Morsy as a definite 4 and Harper as a definite 8 that balance might work better than Evans/Morsy (at least in its current manifestation).

El Miz has looked good every time he's come into the side, I'd like to think he might be knocking on the door now.

People keep saying we have played the poor teams on 10:04 - Oct 6 with 1228 viewsjayessess

People keep saying we have played the poor teams on 10:02 - Oct 6 by Herbivore

El Miz has looked good every time he's come into the side, I'd like to think he might be knocking on the door now.

For sure. I for one am fully-signed on for Pivot Team North Africa at this point!
[Post edited 6 Oct 2021 10:04]

People keep saying we have played the poor teams on 10:08 - Oct 6 with 1175 viewsitfcjoe

People keep saying we have played the poor teams on 10:04 - Oct 6 by jayessess

For sure. I for one am fully-signed on for Pivot Team North Africa at this point!
[Post edited 6 Oct 2021 10:04]

He seems the most rounded of the 3 - plus is a novice in that position really so you'd assume would have an ability to improve very quickly there too

People keep saying we have played the poor teams on 10:10 - Oct 6 with 1170 viewstractorboy1978

People keep saying we have played the poor teams on 10:01 - Oct 6 by jayessess

Thought it was interesting Cook said last night, 'our best formation seems to be set in stone in a certain way' - I disagree, we've not seen evidence of that so far.

On the face of it, we are playing 4-2-3-1 just as Cook has everywhere else he has been. But the reality is over the course of the limited games so far, it's not been played in a particularly consistent/balanced way.

We've seen the two bombing full backs, gone more conservative with Donacien, played a number of different 10s, the Harper/Evans balance in midfield that was just all wrong. We've got a lot of good players but they aren't necessarily interchangeable without slight tweaks to the set up elsewhere.

It's hard to drop Donacien but I think with Morsy in now, KVY has to find his way back in sooner rather than later. That's how Cook really likes to play - narrow three behind the forward with full backs bombing on. And KVY looked ominous a few times last night breaking the lines.
[Post edited 6 Oct 2021 10:22]
People keep saying we have played the poor teams on 10:36 - Oct 6 with 1002 viewsDavoIPB

People keep saying we have played the poor teams on 09:16 - Oct 6 by jayessess

I think people have got a bit confused about how Accrington turned us over, really.

It wasn't particularly the aerial bombardment. Despite knocking a lot of aimless long balls towards Bonne, we actually won more aerial duels than they did! We've got 2 big centre halves who cope quite well with long balls.

The problem was that we couldn't play through Accrington, so they pressed higher and higher up the pitch. That meant we couldn't threaten them and couldn't keep the ball. It also meant that second half they were contesting (and winning) second balls much higher up the pitch. That made it easier for them to get hold of the ball in attacking areas and put in crosses. Even so, they were probably a bit fortunate to score twice in that second half, because we didn't actually yield many chances you'd expect the opposition to score from.

I don't think those problems get any easier playing against better passing sides. They'll press you in possession just as hard but they won't punt it back to you nearly so often.

This is true. Both teams were rubbish. We actually did scrap a bit but couldn't play out from the back because of the high press. We then just hoofed the ball up to a lone striker who did well under the circumstances but was is not somebody who holds the ball up.

They only really created two chances and we had plenty of opportunities to put a good ball into the box and failed.

Will still maintain we did play some nice football in that game and could have won it. Despite being called delusional, of putting up p*ss poor posts and somebody suggested I may be taking crack. Quite ironic really as I worked in the NHS for a long time helping people who do take crack!

Anyway will keep posting as been a town fan for over thirty years and consider most football fans to be delusional (maybe especially Ipswich fans).
People keep saying we have played the poor teams on 10:39 - Oct 6 with 991 viewsGarv

People keep saying we have played the poor teams on 10:10 - Oct 6 by tractorboy1978

Thought it was interesting Cook said last night, 'our best formation seems to be set in stone in a certain way' - I disagree, we've not seen evidence of that so far.

On the face of it, we are playing 4-2-3-1 just as Cook has everywhere else he has been. But the reality is over the course of the limited games so far, it's not been played in a particularly consistent/balanced way.

We've seen the two bombing full backs, gone more conservative with Donacien, played a number of different 10s, the Harper/Evans balance in midfield that was just all wrong. We've got a lot of good players but they aren't necessarily interchangeable without slight tweaks to the set up elsewhere.

It's hard to drop Donacien but I think with Morsy in now, KVY has to find his way back in sooner rather than later. That's how Cook really likes to play - narrow three behind the forward with full backs bombing on. And KVY looked ominous a few times last night breaking the lines.
[Post edited 6 Oct 2021 10:22]

I agree that KVY needs to find a way in if we're going to start playing how we really want to. Right back could be one area we look at in January depending on how that develops.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

People keep saying we have played the poor teams on 10:41 - Oct 6 with 986 viewsDJR

People keep saying we have played the poor teams on 09:16 - Oct 6 by jayessess

I think this is spot on. Part of the problem is that Edmundson and Burgess are not ball playing centre backs, so their default position is to hoof it forward. In contrast, Woolfenden last night was very composed on the ball, so we were much more able to play it through the middle. I think EL Miz made a diffference too, and if it were down to me, I'd play him alongside Morsy, and bring Wolfenden in alongside Burgess. Further forward, I thought Barry was excellent in the short time he had in the game. He has pace, skill and composure, the latter of which I am not sure Edwards has, so I would bring him in on Saturday in preference to Edwards.
People keep saying we have played the poor teams on 10:50 - Oct 6 with 941 viewsDavoIPB

People keep saying we have played the poor teams on 10:41 - Oct 6 by DJR

I think this is spot on. Part of the problem is that Edmundson and Burgess are not ball playing centre backs, so their default position is to hoof it forward. In contrast, Woolfenden last night was very composed on the ball, so we were much more able to play it through the middle. I think EL Miz made a diffference too, and if it were down to me, I'd play him alongside Morsy, and bring Wolfenden in alongside Burgess. Further forward, I thought Barry was excellent in the short time he had in the game. He has pace, skill and composure, the latter of which I am not sure Edwards has, so I would bring him in on Saturday in preference to Edwards.

Yes agree entirely with this. Although Wolfenden still looked error prone last night. Need midfield players to collect ball off centre backs and then have the skill to make room and find a forward pass.

Thought we controlled game last night but still weren't very good.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024