Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Further to last nights chat about covid, lungs and potential severity.... 07:23 - Dec 16 with 2548 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

....of omicron .
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/dec/15/omicron-found-to-grow-70-times-fas

"The Omicron Covid variant has been found to multiply about 70 times quicker than the original and Delta versions of coronavirus in tissue samples taken from the bronchus, the main tubes from the windpipe to the lungs, in laboratory experiments that could help explain its rapid transmission.

The study, by a team from the University of Hong Kong, also found that the new variant grew 10 times slower in lung tissue, which the authors said could be an indicator of lower disease severity."

...maybe cause for some relative optimism.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Further to last nights chat about covid, lungs and potential severity.... on 07:30 - Dec 16 with 1793 viewswkj

The problem with a rapid spread strain isn't always 'in the now - but rather in the future.

I fear if people are too flippant about vaccinations, masks, sanitisation etc - we're not too far from a mutation that could put us back at square one. The probability of that begins to increase with more people incubating it.

Yes, people shouldn't bunker down and live in fear because of potential - but we also should be doing all we can to mitigate the transmission and incubation of this virus.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Further to last nights chat about covid, lungs and potential severity.... on 07:41 - Dec 16 with 1749 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Further to last nights chat about covid, lungs and potential severity.... on 07:30 - Dec 16 by wkj

The problem with a rapid spread strain isn't always 'in the now - but rather in the future.

I fear if people are too flippant about vaccinations, masks, sanitisation etc - we're not too far from a mutation that could put us back at square one. The probability of that begins to increase with more people incubating it.

Yes, people shouldn't bunker down and live in fear because of potential - but we also should be doing all we can to mitigate the transmission and incubation of this virus.

Can't disagree....setting the level of reaction is not a task I would want but finding the right balance between state authoritarianism and survival of the fittest libertarianism is key imho.

[Redacted] on 07:52 - Dec 16 with 1699 viewsvictorywilhappen

[Redacted]
Further to last nights chat about covid, lungs and potential severity.... on 07:57 - Dec 16 with 1652 viewswkj

Further to last nights chat about covid, lungs and potential severity.... on 07:41 - Dec 16 by BanksterDebtSlave

Can't disagree....setting the level of reaction is not a task I would want but finding the right balance between state authoritarianism and survival of the fittest libertarianism is key imho.

We have a state that does not work for the people and we have a significant proportion of people who prefer living a life of conspiracy theories.

You can't divide by zero.

Quite frankly all I am seeing right now is a growing mentality among people that is comparible to saying

I don't have lung cancer, so I'm safe to keep smoking.
[Post edited 16 Dec 2021 7:59]

Crybaby

Further to last nights chat about covid, lungs and potential severity.... on 07:58 - Dec 16 with 1644 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

[Redacted] on 07:52 - Dec 16 by victorywilhappen

[Redacted]

Nobody is saying any of this is good and you will have to do the maths for me but I predict that your answer may well be wrong as there was no mention of the degree of damage that 10 times less replication in the lungs led to.

Further to last nights chat about covid, lungs and potential severity.... on 08:02 - Dec 16 with 1603 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Further to last nights chat about covid, lungs and potential severity.... on 07:57 - Dec 16 by wkj

We have a state that does not work for the people and we have a significant proportion of people who prefer living a life of conspiracy theories.

You can't divide by zero.

Quite frankly all I am seeing right now is a growing mentality among people that is comparible to saying

I don't have lung cancer, so I'm safe to keep smoking.
[Post edited 16 Dec 2021 7:59]

I'm not sure that is accurate, it certainly isn't in my personal spheres and if talk of cancelled night outs at restaurants etc is accurate then maybe people aren't quite as stupid as it can seem.

[Redacted] on 08:03 - Dec 16 with 1586 viewsvictorywilhappen

Further to last nights chat about covid, lungs and potential severity.... on 07:58 - Dec 16 by BanksterDebtSlave

Nobody is saying any of this is good and you will have to do the maths for me but I predict that your answer may well be wrong as there was no mention of the degree of damage that 10 times less replication in the lungs led to.

[Redacted]
Further to last nights chat about covid, lungs and potential severity.... on 08:04 - Dec 16 with 1575 viewswkj

Further to last nights chat about covid, lungs and potential severity.... on 08:02 - Dec 16 by BanksterDebtSlave

I'm not sure that is accurate, it certainly isn't in my personal spheres and if talk of cancelled night outs at restaurants etc is accurate then maybe people aren't quite as stupid as it can seem.

I did 7 weeks in mass retail as my sample size. Boredom of covid is more prominent than ever - when a narrative comes along that suggests things aren't that bad, or a conspiracy theory for the more impressionable - vigilance breaks down.

For many, vigilance has broken down.

Crybaby

Login to get fewer ads

Further to last nights chat about covid, lungs and potential severity.... on 08:06 - Dec 16 with 1551 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Further to last nights chat about covid, lungs and potential severity.... on 08:04 - Dec 16 by wkj

I did 7 weeks in mass retail as my sample size. Boredom of covid is more prominent than ever - when a narrative comes along that suggests things aren't that bad, or a conspiracy theory for the more impressionable - vigilance breaks down.

Are you still in a position to report if any of those observations have changed in the last week?

Further to last nights chat about covid, lungs and potential severity.... on 08:09 - Dec 16 with 1534 viewswkj

Further to last nights chat about covid, lungs and potential severity.... on 08:06 - Dec 16 by BanksterDebtSlave

Are you still in a position to report if any of those observations have changed in the last week?

Not hands-on, but I am still in touch with my colleagues. Of a team of 20, 7 are off with covid symptoms and two have been verbally abused for wearing a mask. This was as of Sunday.
[Post edited 16 Dec 2021 8:10]

Crybaby

[Redacted] on 08:09 - Dec 16 with 1534 viewsvictorywilhappen

Further to last nights chat about covid, lungs and potential severity.... on 08:04 - Dec 16 by wkj

[Redacted]
Further to last nights chat about covid, lungs and potential severity.... on 08:11 - Dec 16 with 1515 viewsfab_lover

Further to last nights chat about covid, lungs and potential severity.... on 07:58 - Dec 16 by BanksterDebtSlave

Can I ask, respectfully not antagonistically, what "skin" you have in this particular game ?

You see, we had a lot of discussion last night past midnight re: your original post which appeared to be minimising the effects of Omicron. You've now started posting similar stuff before 8AM.

If you think Covid / Omicron is a load of balls, that's your opinion and you're obviously welcome to have it...but is there any agenda in you trying to convince the rest of us about it ?

if Omicron does turn out to be a harmless variant, I am more than happy to come back here and say that you were right, but you can't KNOW that it is any more than anyone...so for me in the balance of things, taking a cautious approach for now is best...just in case, for reasons that I think a few people have spelled out numerous times.

So I'm just wondering why you're trying to revive last night's conversation again.
Further to last nights chat about covid, lungs and potential severity.... on 08:26 - Dec 16 with 1437 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Further to last nights chat about covid, lungs and potential severity.... on 08:11 - Dec 16 by fab_lover

Can I ask, respectfully not antagonistically, what "skin" you have in this particular game ?

You see, we had a lot of discussion last night past midnight re: your original post which appeared to be minimising the effects of Omicron. You've now started posting similar stuff before 8AM.

If you think Covid / Omicron is a load of balls, that's your opinion and you're obviously welcome to have it...but is there any agenda in you trying to convince the rest of us about it ?

if Omicron does turn out to be a harmless variant, I am more than happy to come back here and say that you were right, but you can't KNOW that it is any more than anyone...so for me in the balance of things, taking a cautious approach for now is best...just in case, for reasons that I think a few people have spelled out numerous times.

So I'm just wondering why you're trying to revive last night's conversation again.

I appreciated your very calm input last night.
I have absolutely no skin in the game and this post is purely a result of waking this morning, looking at the guardian online and seeing an article pertinent to a line that Guthrum opened up last night which may prove key to severity imho. Namely this variants impact on lungs.
I am making no claim to know anything, maybe I am just looking for rays of light in a sh1tstorm of doom. My mother had covid early doors and my daughter has it now, I encourage those that I know who are not vaccinated to do so. Whatever the reality of this variant turns out to be you can be assured I will not be making any claims to have been any the wiser/ more ignorant than anybody else.

Edit....but Balotelli or something! (J2)
[Post edited 16 Dec 2021 8:30]

Further to last nights chat about covid, lungs and potential severity.... on 08:28 - Dec 16 with 1417 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Further to last nights chat about covid, lungs and potential severity.... on 08:09 - Dec 16 by wkj

Not hands-on, but I am still in touch with my colleagues. Of a team of 20, 7 are off with covid symptoms and two have been verbally abused for wearing a mask. This was as of Sunday.
[Post edited 16 Dec 2021 8:10]

There are definitely some Richards out there.

Further to last nights chat about covid, lungs and potential severity.... on 08:44 - Dec 16 with 1338 viewsfab_lover

Further to last nights chat about covid, lungs and potential severity.... on 08:26 - Dec 16 by BanksterDebtSlave

I appreciated your very calm input last night.
I have absolutely no skin in the game and this post is purely a result of waking this morning, looking at the guardian online and seeing an article pertinent to a line that Guthrum opened up last night which may prove key to severity imho. Namely this variants impact on lungs.
I am making no claim to know anything, maybe I am just looking for rays of light in a sh1tstorm of doom. My mother had covid early doors and my daughter has it now, I encourage those that I know who are not vaccinated to do so. Whatever the reality of this variant turns out to be you can be assured I will not be making any claims to have been any the wiser/ more ignorant than anybody else.

Edit....but Balotelli or something! (J2)
[Post edited 16 Dec 2021 8:30]

Cool. Look, I understand the need for "rays of light" as I'm sure that we'd all like some at the moment. The only "issue" I have it's that it's too easy for others to interpret them as "well, we have nothing to worry about".

The only thing we *know* at this stage of the game is that the virulence of Omicron is incredible. At the current rate of reproduction, the infection levels alone are likely to have a major impact on our lives, in that people in core professions - healthcare, retail, delivery, education etc etc - are going to have to self-isolate should they test positive, which is going to affect our overall quality of life for a bit. Some of that might be mitigated by us moving into holiday season anyway given time of year, but (and don't go rushing out to buy bog roll and pasta !) the food chain is likely to come under some stress at the very least.

The "worst" consequences are not worth contemplating. All we can do now is wait, but while we wait, try to behave sensibly. "Hope for the best...but prepare for the worst".

I really hope that by 2022, we can come back on here and say "phew...we dodged a bullet there". Until then...let's err on the side of caution, eh ?
Further to last nights chat about covid, lungs and potential severity.... on 08:54 - Dec 16 with 1296 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Further to last nights chat about covid, lungs and potential severity.... on 08:44 - Dec 16 by fab_lover

Cool. Look, I understand the need for "rays of light" as I'm sure that we'd all like some at the moment. The only "issue" I have it's that it's too easy for others to interpret them as "well, we have nothing to worry about".

The only thing we *know* at this stage of the game is that the virulence of Omicron is incredible. At the current rate of reproduction, the infection levels alone are likely to have a major impact on our lives, in that people in core professions - healthcare, retail, delivery, education etc etc - are going to have to self-isolate should they test positive, which is going to affect our overall quality of life for a bit. Some of that might be mitigated by us moving into holiday season anyway given time of year, but (and don't go rushing out to buy bog roll and pasta !) the food chain is likely to come under some stress at the very least.

The "worst" consequences are not worth contemplating. All we can do now is wait, but while we wait, try to behave sensibly. "Hope for the best...but prepare for the worst".

I really hope that by 2022, we can come back on here and say "phew...we dodged a bullet there". Until then...let's err on the side of caution, eh ?

Agree and thanks for the manner in which you have engaged in discussion.

Further to last nights chat about covid, lungs and potential severity.... on 08:56 - Dec 16 with 1286 viewswkj

Further to last nights chat about covid, lungs and potential severity.... on 08:28 - Dec 16 by BanksterDebtSlave

There are definitely some Richards out there.

There are some Richards, yes, but lets not kid ourselves. People seem to treat retail and service industry workers as automatons at the best of time - so it is hardly surprising that 'best practice' is not being shown in these environments.

Crybaby

Further to last nights chat about covid, lungs and potential severity.... on 09:04 - Dec 16 with 1255 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Further to last nights chat about covid, lungs and potential severity.... on 08:56 - Dec 16 by wkj

There are some Richards, yes, but lets not kid ourselves. People seem to treat retail and service industry workers as automatons at the best of time - so it is hardly surprising that 'best practice' is not being shown in these environments.

Yo will be thrilled to know that I make a point of engaging them with cheery good humour!

Further to last nights chat about covid, lungs and potential severity.... on 09:09 - Dec 16 with 1225 viewsunbelievablue

Further to last nights chat about covid, lungs and potential severity.... on 08:56 - Dec 16 by wkj

FWIW I anecdotally estimate around a 50% mask adherence in shops near me (SE London), and probably only slightly higher for public transport (although people seem more likely to wear a mask on a bus than on a train).

Le meilleur des mondes possibles
Poll: When booking a reservation at a restaurant/bar, do you give...

Further to last nights chat about covid, lungs and potential severity.... on 09:11 - Dec 16 with 1209 viewswkj

Further to last nights chat about covid, lungs and potential severity.... on 09:04 - Dec 16 by BanksterDebtSlave

Yo will be thrilled to know that I make a point of engaging them with cheery good humour!

Well hopefully that cheery good humour also includes a face mask. Nothing more pleasing to a person who comes into contact with 100's of people a day than seeing their health being treated with respect.

Crybaby

Further to last nights chat about covid, lungs and potential severity.... on 09:13 - Dec 16 with 1201 viewswkj

Further to last nights chat about covid, lungs and potential severity.... on 09:09 - Dec 16 by unbelievablue

FWIW I anecdotally estimate around a 50% mask adherence in shops near me (SE London), and probably only slightly higher for public transport (although people seem more likely to wear a mask on a bus than on a train).

I personally caught Covid because I was in this environment as a manager, as such I became hyper-aware of people's mask wearing - and it was comically bad.

Crybaby

Further to last nights chat about covid, lungs and potential severity.... on 09:13 - Dec 16 with 1199 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Further to last nights chat about covid, lungs and potential severity.... on 09:11 - Dec 16 by wkj

Well hopefully that cheery good humour also includes a face mask. Nothing more pleasing to a person who comes into contact with 100's of people a day than seeing their health being treated with respect.

A double layer of fashionable buffs!! Stand and deliver!

Further to last nights chat about covid, lungs and potential severity.... on 09:14 - Dec 16 with 1187 viewsCotty

Further to last nights chat about covid, lungs and potential severity.... on 08:44 - Dec 16 by fab_lover

Excellent post. XXX
Further to last nights chat about covid, lungs and potential severity.... on 09:37 - Dec 16 with 1148 viewsPinewoodblue

My reading of the current situation is that containment of the virus is as important as getting a booster.

Tough measures are needed. I would ban the sale of alcohol at theatres, and sporting venues irrespective of size. I would still permit the sale of alcohol in pubs and restaurants provided it was table service only, no standing at the bar or in large groups and masks mandatory unless sitting.

There was a game earlier this season, think it was Doncaster, when there was a spike in new cases. With Omicron being significantly more transmissible there are likely to be far too many family christmases ruined as a result of almost 29,000 being at Portman Road on Saturday.

Wear your mask if you must congregate in the concourse. Remember the place to support the team is in the stands, save your voice for then.

Forget the Bantz and think of others especially those you will be meeting in the following 7-10 days.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Further to last nights chat about covid, lungs and potential severity.... on 09:58 - Dec 16 with 1120 viewsnodge_blue

Its hard to know. I hate covid.

I think vaccines will be the answer for those prepared to have them. Thank god this disease wasn't 10 tens years ago. The technology now seems to be that we can plug and play new ones pretty quickly.

But if a third of Londoners (for example) won't have them then we will constantly see surges in cases. And does the rest of the country take a hit because of that?

My partner is a TA with 5 year olds. So we as a family will test the vaccine efficiency pretty soon I think.
[Post edited 16 Dec 2021 9:59]

Poll: best attacking central midfielder?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024