Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I’ve been thinking about this 40km Russian convoy of tanks and heavy artillery 23:03 - Mar 1 with 2156 viewsLord_Lucan

all day and I’m thinking - where are Insulate Britain when you need them?

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

I’ve been thinking about this 40km Russian convoy of tanks and heavy artillery on 23:08 - Mar 1 with 2108 viewsSwansea_Blue

I’m thinking a few runs with the US A-10s that used to buzz eastern Ipswich would soon sort it. Sitting ducks. Just needs someone with the balls to hit them.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

I’ve been thinking about this 40km Russian convoy of tanks and heavy artillery on 23:23 - Mar 1 with 2052 viewsLord_Lucan

I’ve been thinking about this 40km Russian convoy of tanks and heavy artillery on 23:08 - Mar 1 by Swansea_Blue

I’m thinking a few runs with the US A-10s that used to buzz eastern Ipswich would soon sort it. Sitting ducks. Just needs someone with the balls to hit them.

If you want to be serious for one moment it’s not about having the balls to hit them.

If we were to engage right now it would be an act of war and Putin is quite capable of sending the nukes. Until Russian forces put a boot over NATO territory we simply cannot intervene- for the sake of the world.

If it escalates then yes we have to step in but let me tell you, war has a habit of quickly escalating and I don’t like the look of it to be honest.

We are all looking on with concern but also in a bit of denial, Putin is a bit bonkers and there is a possibility we might force each other’s hand.

Don’t really want to think about it.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.

I’ve been thinking about this 40km Russian convoy of tanks and heavy artillery on 23:33 - Mar 1 with 2005 viewsSwansea_Blue

I’ve been thinking about this 40km Russian convoy of tanks and heavy artillery on 23:23 - Mar 1 by Lord_Lucan

If you want to be serious for one moment it’s not about having the balls to hit them.

If we were to engage right now it would be an act of war and Putin is quite capable of sending the nukes. Until Russian forces put a boot over NATO territory we simply cannot intervene- for the sake of the world.

If it escalates then yes we have to step in but let me tell you, war has a habit of quickly escalating and I don’t like the look of it to be honest.

We are all looking on with concern but also in a bit of denial, Putin is a bit bonkers and there is a possibility we might force each other’s hand.

Obviously doesn’t have to be openly Western Allies/NATO does it (and can’t be). They ARE sitting ducks though. Surely some covert assistance can be offered to get Ukraine forces close enough with all the anti-tank missiles European countries have been sending them…
[Post edited 1 Mar 2022 23:39]

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

I’ve been thinking about this 40km Russian convoy of tanks and heavy artillery on 23:37 - Mar 1 with 1973 viewsZXBlue

I’ve been thinking about this 40km Russian convoy of tanks and heavy artillery on 23:33 - Mar 1 by Swansea_Blue

Obviously doesn’t have to be openly Western Allies/NATO does it (and can’t be). They ARE sitting ducks though. Surely some covert assistance can be offered to get Ukraine forces close enough with all the anti-tank missiles European countries have been sending them…

With that long line on narrow country roads, some select strikes would cause havoc with timings and logistics in terms of actually getting the convoy through.
I’ve been thinking about this 40km Russian convoy of tanks and heavy artillery on 23:59 - Mar 1 with 1903 viewsLord_Lucan

I’ve been thinking about this 40km Russian convoy of tanks and heavy artillery on 23:33 - Mar 1 by Swansea_Blue

I agree. They are sitting ducks. Any proper force could wipe the lot out - just like in the Gulf.

Like most things though it’s political, but this time it’s a capital P.

I’ve been thinking about this 40km Russian convoy of tanks and heavy artillery on 00:02 - Mar 2 with 1886 viewsZXBlue

I’ve been thinking about this 40km Russian convoy of tanks and heavy artillery on 23:59 - Mar 1 by Lord_Lucan

I agree. They are sitting ducks. Any proper force could wipe the lot out - just like in the Gulf.

Like most things though it’s political, but this time it’s a capital P.

No idea what sort of air power ukraine has left, or how superior russian air support is.
I’ve been thinking about this 40km Russian convoy of tanks and heavy artillery on 00:23 - Mar 2 with 1853 viewsjeera

I’ve been thinking about this 40km Russian convoy of tanks and heavy artillery on 00:02 - Mar 2 by ZXBlue

No idea what sort of air power ukraine has left, or how superior russian air support is.

I was wondering the same.

I was just reading this as it goes:

https://rusi.org/explore-our-research/publications/commentary/mysterious-case-mi

It suggests that Russia seem to be holding back somewhat for now on its air support, having done a fair bit of damage it intended to in the early part of the conflict.

Although it also suggests some Ukrainian aircraft are still flying low-level sorties, so yes it would seem the obvious answer to broadside the tank column.

No doubt there are reasons we know little of. It's hard to get the full picture on the snippets we rely on isn't it.

Edit: I should have added the piece also mentions it's likely Russia's aircraft missile stocks will have been depleted significantly by their intervention in Syria which might explain their reluctance to go in too heavy too soon [?]

Perhaps Ukraine are suffering from a lack of suitable anti-tank ammo too.
[Post edited 2 Mar 2022 0:35]

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

I’ve been thinking about this 40km Russian convoy of tanks and heavy artillery on 00:45 - Mar 2 with 1804 viewsKievthegreat

I’ve been thinking about this 40km Russian convoy of tanks and heavy artillery on 00:23 - Mar 2 by jeera

I was wondering the same.

I was just reading this as it goes:

https://rusi.org/explore-our-research/publications/commentary/mysterious-case-mi

It suggests that Russia seem to be holding back somewhat for now on its air support, having done a fair bit of damage it intended to in the early part of the conflict.

Although it also suggests some Ukrainian aircraft are still flying low-level sorties, so yes it would seem the obvious answer to broadside the tank column.

No doubt there are reasons we know little of. It's hard to get the full picture on the snippets we rely on isn't it.

Edit: I should have added the piece also mentions it's likely Russia's aircraft missile stocks will have been depleted significantly by their intervention in Syria which might explain their reluctance to go in too heavy too soon [?]

Perhaps Ukraine are suffering from a lack of suitable anti-tank ammo too.
[Post edited 2 Mar 2022 0:35]

I think the issue Ukraine may have is that it's anti-tank weapons are handheld. Infantry attacking an armoured column across flat open terrain with very little cover is risky. Especially a column of the size Russia have sent.

In theory they should have plenty of equipment, but it remains to be seen if it's all in the right places. No good having 1,000 NLAWs if none of them are where the tanks are, and Ukraine are defending multiple fronts.
Login to get fewer ads

I’ve been thinking about this 40km Russian convoy of tanks and heavy artillery on 00:47 - Mar 2 with 1799 viewsZXBlue

I’ve been thinking about this 40km Russian convoy of tanks and heavy artillery on 00:45 - Mar 2 by Kievthegreat

I think the issue Ukraine may have is that it's anti-tank weapons are handheld. Infantry attacking an armoured column across flat open terrain with very little cover is risky. Especially a column of the size Russia have sent.

In theory they should have plenty of equipment, but it remains to be seen if it's all in the right places. No good having 1,000 NLAWs if none of them are where the tanks are, and Ukraine are defending multiple fronts.

Lots of trucks. Blow up 12 of them, and the rest of the column has to go around....
I’ve been thinking about this 40km Russian convoy of tanks and heavy artillery on 01:26 - Mar 2 with 1715 viewsKievthegreat

I’ve been thinking about this 40km Russian convoy of tanks and heavy artillery on 00:47 - Mar 2 by ZXBlue

Lots of trucks. Blow up 12 of them, and the rest of the column has to go around....

Still need to get close enough to do that. If they could, they surely would.
I’ve been thinking about this 40km Russian convoy of tanks and heavy artillery on 01:49 - Mar 2 with 1703 viewsGuthrum

I’ve been thinking about this 40km Russian convoy of tanks and heavy artillery on 00:02 - Mar 2 by ZXBlue

Ukraine has some air assets left, as far as is possible to tell. Including drones capable of firing missiles. That column is likely to have a fair amount of anti-aircraft protection.

However, it's also a very extended line, which can also be attacked by ground forces with artillery, armour and anti-tank missiles. And if moving on a single road, blocked by defensive positions and blown bridges.

Tho I get the impression it's not so much an advancing column as a massive traffic jam. It's been two days and they haven't sorted it out yet, let alone moved forwards. Going to take a long time for the right people to get to the right places and deploy.
[Post edited 2 Mar 2022 1:55]

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

I’ve been thinking about this 40km Russian convoy of tanks and heavy artillery on 01:54 - Mar 2 with 1696 viewsGuthrum

I’ve been thinking about this 40km Russian convoy of tanks and heavy artillery on 01:26 - Mar 2 by Kievthegreat

Still need to get close enough to do that. If they could, they surely would.

Javelins have an effective range of a couple of miles, the lighter missiles the British and other supplied about half a mile. But it's very difficult to spot a couple of blokes sat in a bush that far away and a row of vehicles on a road is a big target.

[Redacted] on 05:55 - Mar 2 with 1555 viewsvictorywilhappen

I’ve been thinking about this 40km Russian convoy of tanks and heavy artillery on 01:54 - Mar 2 by Guthrum

Javelins have an effective range of a couple of miles, the lighter missiles the British and other supplied about half a mile. But it's very difficult to spot a couple of blokes sat in a bush that far away and a row of vehicles on a road is a big target.

[Redacted]
I’ve been thinking about this 40km Russian convoy of tanks and heavy artillery on 06:55 - Mar 2 with 1458 viewssolomon

[Redacted] on 05:55 - Mar 2 by victorywilhappen

[Redacted]

Resistance forces need time to organise and get used to and find the tactics that work best, resistance and guerrilla groups will eventually find ways of inflicting casualties on the Russian forces much as we’ve seen in Recent conflicts possibly use of IED’s and the like. This war will run for some time and I expect this still to be in the news, albeit in not such blanket coverage, 12 months from now.
I’ve been thinking about this 40km Russian convoy of tanks and heavy artillery on 07:13 - Mar 2 with 1426 viewsEly_Blue

I’ve been thinking about this 40km Russian convoy of tanks and heavy artillery on 01:49 - Mar 2 by Guthrum

Ukraine has some air assets left, as far as is possible to tell. Including drones capable of firing missiles. That column is likely to have a fair amount of anti-aircraft protection.

However, it's also a very extended line, which can also be attacked by ground forces with artillery, armour and anti-tank missiles. And if moving on a single road, blocked by defensive positions and blown bridges.

Tho I get the impression it's not so much an advancing column as a massive traffic jam. It's been two days and they haven't sorted it out yet, let alone moved forwards. Going to take a long time for the right people to get to the right places and deploy.
[Post edited 2 Mar 2022 1:55]

What they need to take out in the convoy is the fuel tankers, not only will it cause bigger explosions it will also start to cripple the advance of the convoy once they start to run out of fuel (something which has also so far been hampering the progress to Kyiv

Poll: Will you still buy a Season Ticket for next year in league 1

I’ve been thinking about this 40km Russian convoy of tanks and heavy artillery on 10:05 - Mar 2 with 1083 viewsGuthrum

[Redacted] on 05:55 - Mar 2 by victorywilhappen

[Redacted]

Blowing bridges is a tricky business. Right up to the moment the enemy siezes them, they are an asset to defenders, vital for moving men and supplies.

Too late and you've lost the chance, especially if it doesn't completely work (c.f. Remagen). Too early and the bridge still has people on it (civilian or military - c.f. Leipzig 1813), plus rearguards - often drawn from amongst your best troops - are marooned on the wrong side to be killed or captured.

Which is why you often get a last man or group staying behind in the face of near-certain death to fire the charges. Such as this: https://www.newsweek.com/heroic-ukrainian-soldier-blows-bridge-himself-halt-russ

I’ve been thinking about this 40km Russian convoy of tanks and heavy artillery on 11:57 - Mar 2 with 921 viewsJ2BLUE

I’ve been thinking about this 40km Russian convoy of tanks and heavy artillery on 23:23 - Mar 1 by Lord_Lucan

Build a DIY Altoids survival tin.

That will stop the nuclear missiles.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

I’ve been thinking about this 40km Russian convoy of tanks and heavy artillery on 12:14 - Mar 2 with 891 viewsDinDjarin

Its not a convoy of 40 miles bumper to bumper, its lots of units in smaller convoys spread over 40 miles so may only be a few hundred vehicles.

Not like the media to exaggerate now is it.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024