Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Dominic Thompson 08:49 - Jun 22 with 1081 viewsSweetman

What's the general consensus if he was to come back permanently?

Personally I like him, similar to Bakinson he grew as his loan went on. Also gives Burns the license to go forward as Thompson is back as a LB in possession on the right hand side.

That 'dropping into a back 4' when Burns pushes on, with Donacien covering at RB, is a key part of our success in defence and going forward.
Dominic Thompson on 09:09 - Jun 22 with 993 viewsmarkchips

I think that ship has sailed now Leigh is on board.

I can see Humphries being used as back up, he is a young fit lad and will get up and down no problem , plus he won't mind playing there as long as he is in the team.
Dominic Thompson on 09:12 - Jun 22 with 967 viewsrickw

If we are switching to play a back 4 then yes, but as a wing back no

Poll: Of the Non Favourites for ITFC managers job who would you prefer
Blog: Reasons for Relegation

Dominic Thompson on 09:20 - Jun 22 with 931 viewswrightsrightglove

Dominic Thompson on 09:09 - Jun 22 by markchips

I can see Humphries being used as back up, he is a young fit lad and will get up and down no problem , plus he won't mind playing there as long as he is in the team.

This is how I see it, I don’t think he’d come here to be second choice and I feel that’s what he would be now.

I think and I’m hoping that if we’re playing Dom Ball then he’ll be the one to drop into defence when needed allowing Leigh and Burns the freedom to really attack down the wings. When they’re both flying JD can fill right back and Edmundson can fill in on the left while Dom takes up a CB role if we’re caught on the counter.
Dominic Thompson on 09:27 - Jun 22 with 905 viewsitfcjoe

It would feel a bit of a 'meh' signing to me, he's a decent footballer and will probably grow as is still very young but he didn't seem to have the ability to push us on for me so would rather try something else

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Dominic Thompson on 09:30 - Jun 22 with 879 viewsPrideOfTheEast

Needs a lot of work I think. An important position for us and we can do better.
Dominic Thompson on 09:38 - Jun 22 with 842 viewsSweetman

Dominic Thompson on 09:09 - Jun 22 by markchips

Stu Watson said we were still in the market for a LWB. Still think Penney will be off too.
Dominic Thompson on 10:13 - Jun 22 with 708 viewsFixed_It

Dominic Thompson on 09:27 - Jun 22 by itfcjoe

It would feel a bit of a 'meh' signing to me, he's a decent footballer and will probably grow as is still very young but he didn't seem to have the ability to push us on for me so would rather try something else

I liked him. Technically sound, great enthusiasm for a loanee and clearly a decent footballer. But far too often he slowed our momentum by 'playing safe' and playing the easy ball or cutting back rather than pushing on. Very frustrating. I'm hoping Leigh will offer a bit more going forward.
[Post edited 22 Jun 2022 10:13]

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Dominic Thompson on 10:16 - Jun 22 with 667 viewsSTYG

He's a walking yellow / red card, that cannot offer anything going forward and is defensively fairly sound.

Not what we need in the style we play and certainly not worth the wages he'd command.

Seen far too much made of him being part of the clean sheets as if it was him on his own. McKenna came in, we had Walton, Fridge, Donacien, Wolf and Burns as 5 of those 6 and I don't think Thompson did anything spectacular offensively, we were so dominant teams rarely threatened full stop. Can't see what with Coulson or Penney there we'd have suddenly started shipping goals.

I'd be very disappointed if he returned. Bakinson however would have been an excellent 3rd or 4th choice midfielder but with Ball, a much better player by the looks of it, coming in and pushing Evans into a backup role, I'd rather see a box to box or attacking midfielder as the 4th man there.
Login to get fewer ads

Dominic Thompson on 10:18 - Jun 22 with 661 viewsDarth_Koont

Dominic Thompson on 10:13 - Jun 22 by Fixed_It

I liked him. Technically sound, great enthusiasm for a loanee and clearly a decent footballer. But far too often he slowed our momentum by 'playing safe' and playing the easy ball or cutting back rather than pushing on. Very frustrating. I'm hoping Leigh will offer a bit more going forward.
[Post edited 22 Jun 2022 10:13]

Agreed. I wouldn’t have had any problem with McKenna signing him if he felt that he could develop him as an LWB (which he probably could). But more suited as a defender and LB overall.

Hopefully Leigh is seen as a more natural fit right from the start.

Pronouns: He/Him

Dominic Thompson on 10:21 - Jun 22 with 643 viewsmarkchips

Dominic Thompson on 10:16 - Jun 22 by STYG

He's a walking yellow / red card, that cannot offer anything going forward and is defensively fairly sound.

Not what we need in the style we play and certainly not worth the wages he'd command.

Seen far too much made of him being part of the clean sheets as if it was him on his own. McKenna came in, we had Walton, Fridge, Donacien, Wolf and Burns as 5 of those 6 and I don't think Thompson did anything spectacular offensively, we were so dominant teams rarely threatened full stop. Can't see what with Coulson or Penney there we'd have suddenly started shipping goals.

I'd be very disappointed if he returned. Bakinson however would have been an excellent 3rd or 4th choice midfielder but with Ball, a much better player by the looks of it, coming in and pushing Evans into a backup role, I'd rather see a box to box or attacking midfielder as the 4th man there.

Interesting that you see Evans now as back up. He may well be off if he can't play regularly. depends what wages he is on I suppose. About time he stood up to be counted and stopped getting injured.
Dominic Thompson on 10:24 - Jun 22 with 628 viewsSTYG

Dominic Thompson on 10:21 - Jun 22 by markchips

Interesting that you see Evans now as back up. He may well be off if he can't play regularly. depends what wages he is on I suppose. About time he stood up to be counted and stopped getting injured.

Ball behind Morsy has to be first choice pairing if we play the same system. It may bring the best out of Evans. Did feel when he came in last year and was made captain that may not have helped drive levels to the Lee Evans I'd seen for Wigan, Wolves, Sheffield United.

Can't see him being ahead of Ball in that role or Morsy in his, so presume he will be the third man in there when we change formation or come on for one of the other two as and when we need to go more or less offensive.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024