Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Aluko... 11:07 - Jul 25 with 907 viewsOriginalMarkyP

...is he better from the off, or coming off the bench when opponents are tiring?

He may well be my favourite player currently, although I can't decide when he's more of a threat. Also taking his age into account he's unlikely to be able to play every game.

Be interested to know what others think?

Poll: After our 7 goal thrashing of Needham should we?
Blog: Sounds Better in a Song

Aluko... on 11:11 - Jul 25 with 871 viewsWallingford_Boy

I'd say off the bench.

I know he is popular here, but just doesn't score or create enough for a no.10 for me.

RIP Sir Bobby

Aluko... on 11:11 - Jul 25 with 864 viewswrightsrightglove

Start him. He’s not going to start every game but get him tangling up defences in knots and then throw Jackson / JJ on on 60 minutes against tired legs.
Aluko... on 11:17 - Jul 25 with 820 viewsDJR

Whether he starts or is on the bench, he offers us a great deal and will probably feature in every game next season, with the option to replace the front three whether or not things are going well. He looked classy when coming on against Millwall, and even though he perhaps does his better work a little bit further from goal, he brings a bit of control and opens up things for others. I suspect that McK will not be wedded to a particular starting 3, so that Aluko will start some games.
[Post edited 25 Jul 2022 11:19]
Aluko... on 11:22 - Jul 25 with 787 viewsWallingford_Boy

Aluko... on 11:17 - Jul 25 by DJR

Whether he starts or is on the bench, he offers us a great deal and will probably feature in every game next season, with the option to replace the front three whether or not things are going well. He looked classy when coming on against Millwall, and even though he perhaps does his better work a little bit further from goal, he brings a bit of control and opens up things for others. I suspect that McK will not be wedded to a particular starting 3, so that Aluko will start some games.
[Post edited 25 Jul 2022 11:19]

There is no way he will feature in every game next season, zero chance.

At his age he will need to sit out of games every few weeks, plus we have many alternatives in his role, so best to keep rotating and keep everyone fresh.

RIP Sir Bobby

Aluko... on 11:25 - Jul 25 with 778 viewsDarth_Koont

Good question. Not sure.

Although as others have suggested if he's not going to play every game and/or needs subbing more then he'll probably be better used as a bench player and occasional starter.

That also fits with how we probably want to play. We want to start fast with tempo and pressing throughout the XI. Aluko can certainly do that but his real standout strength is probably getting us to play and keep/use the ball better if and when that fails.

A bit like McGoldrick in that regard – and similarly more important to us than his goals or assists. Which could still improve but should do in a better performing, more consistently threatening attack than last year.

Pronouns: He/Him

Aluko... on 11:48 - Jul 25 with 711 viewsDavoIPB

He is currently out only really creative midfield player. Chaplin looks way off the pace. Other midfielders are slow in distribution and more controlling players. Need Aluko playing as much as possible.
Aluko... on 13:28 - Jul 25 with 569 viewsibbleobble

For me, it doesn’t matter. If he’s had a good or-season better than others, he starts. If not, it negates the whole purpose of individual success and merit in pre-season.
Aluko... on 13:45 - Jul 25 with 538 viewsitfcsuth

Has to start the season.

Has been razor sharp during pre-season, and deserves a starting place v Bolton.

In addition, Harness will have had a max of 10 days with the squad. I'm not sure he will pick up the demands and requirements of the role in that time period, and probably reflected that in his performance v Millwall.

Aluko and Chaplin behind Ladapo.
Login to get fewer ads

Aluko... on 13:56 - Jul 25 with 505 viewsBlueandTruesince82

I'd start him Sat but his mins will need to be managed, great option of the bench if we are chasing or trying to see out a game as he brings control and calmness but can also make something happen.

Poll: Will Phil ever confirm we are actually close on a signing ever again

Aluko... on 13:59 - Jul 25 with 495 viewsDarth_Koont

Aluko... on 13:45 - Jul 25 by itfcsuth

Has to start the season.

Has been razor sharp during pre-season, and deserves a starting place v Bolton.

In addition, Harness will have had a max of 10 days with the squad. I'm not sure he will pick up the demands and requirements of the role in that time period, and probably reflected that in his performance v Millwall.

Aluko and Chaplin behind Ladapo.

That’s a good point.

However it pans out when the season settles into its rhythm, we still need our best players on the pitch at the start.

Suspect you’re right about Aluko, Chaplin and Ladapo starting things off. Chaplin didn’t look great on Saturday but in a tight league game he’s probably the one player you want to be picking up stuff in and around the box.

Pronouns: He/Him

Aluko... on 14:16 - Jul 25 with 468 viewsitfcsuth

Aluko... on 13:59 - Jul 25 by Darth_Koont

That’s a good point.

However it pans out when the season settles into its rhythm, we still need our best players on the pitch at the start.

Suspect you’re right about Aluko, Chaplin and Ladapo starting things off. Chaplin didn’t look great on Saturday but in a tight league game he’s probably the one player you want to be picking up stuff in and around the box.

As the season goes on, and as Harness integrates into the system with a better understanding, I'm sure he'll cement that left sided no10 role as his own.

I agree Chaplin didn't look terrific v Millwall, although his busy hard working usual self, he didn't produce real quality other than one delightful ball whipped across the face of the 6 yard box.

Was good v Wimbledon though, and dazzled their defenders for TJJ goal there.
Aluko... on 14:24 - Jul 25 with 456 viewsbaxterbasics

I am basing this off the single game I managed to attend last season, but in that he was the best player on the pitch.

If that wasn't an anomaly, he should be starting as a rule. Rest when needed.

zip
Poll: Your minimum standard of 'success' for our return to The Championship?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024