Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Non-Scoring Striker 10:26 - Sep 1 with 1736 viewsPabloReuser

Yes, I get the idea of the striker being used to create space for other players, just as I get the idea that it doesn't matter who scores the goals as long as the team scores the goals. But you also have to consider the psychological impact on the number nine who trudges off the pitch every week without having done the thing he feels he should be doing (and which everyone watching is willing him to do - stick the ball in the back of the net.

The relief and joy on Ladapo's face when his shot went in against Northampton will show you just how important it is to have a striker who scores regularly. It doesn't have to be 30 a season or 20 a season, but enough to keep him feeling confident and like he's properly playing his part. Because strikers will always be judged on goals - and there will always be a cloud hanging over them if they have a major goal drought. You only have to look at the body language of Pigott and Bonne in the second half of last season to see what happens to a non-scoring number nine.

You also only need a quick glance at what Man City are up to this season to realise that all teams benefit from a natural goalscorer. City have players all across the pitch who score goals and always score loads from midfield, but no one is pretending that Haaland was brought in as a foil to create space for Foden and Gundogan. You can provide good movement and drags defences out of shape, but still get into the right places to score yourself. And whoever we play in the number nine role needs to be doing both those things.

They're hard to find, of course, but a top striker in this league would make us almost unbeatable. But I'm not sure we've had a top striker in years, which is probably why we're where we are now.
The Non-Scoring Striker on 10:29 - Sep 1 with 1699 viewsSheffordBlue

I agree it definitely helps. A Ladapo who'd got one in the game against Bolton and is then grafting away doing all the stuff McK wants him to do is a different story to the one who now looks so relieved to have scored against Northampton.

It was interesting to listen to Ian Westlake on Tuesday night saying how difficult it must be to be a No 9 in the Town set up. I think as as long as we can keep the 9s ticking over with a goal here and there it will be fine.

Poll: How many points do you think you'll need to get a ticket for Norwich?

The Non-Scoring Striker on 10:34 - Sep 1 with 1641 viewsGuthrum

That's part of the issue. The fans will be putting pressure on the striker to score, even if the manager isn't. With the best will in the world, there will be audible groans at every miss and grumblings on social media. McKenna would need to be a skilled psychologist on top of his other roles, in order to keep the player's mood up despite not registering goals.

While promotion is a tangible reward, that is quite a long term goal when needing to get psyched for matches on a week-by-week basis.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

The Non-Scoring Striker on 10:47 - Sep 1 with 1584 viewsSteve_M

Indeed, and Ladapo hadn't scored since February which must have been getting to him slightly. It was a really nice finish as well, however poor Northampton had been.

I liked this tweet, shows the team spirit but also that TJJ was well aware that Freddie needed a goal.

Good that Ladapo, Jackson, TJJ, Burns, Morsy, Evans and both Edmundson and Burgess have all scored already this season (plus obviously Harness and Chaplin with a few each) . Only Aluko of our forward players hasn't yet.
[Post edited 1 Sep 2022 10:55]

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

The Non-Scoring Striker on 10:50 - Sep 1 with 1556 viewsjayessess

The Non-Scoring Striker on 10:47 - Sep 1 by Steve_M

Indeed, and Ladapo hadn't scored since February which must have been getting to him slightly. It was a really nice finish as well, however poor Northampton had been.

I liked this tweet, shows the team spirit but also that TJJ was well aware that Freddie needed a goal.

Good that Ladapo, Jackson, TJJ, Burns, Morsy, Evans and both Edmundson and Burgess have all scored already this season (plus obviously Harness and Chaplin with a few each) . Only Aluko of our forward players hasn't yet.
[Post edited 1 Sep 2022 10:55]

the hug after with McKenna was nice too:

That said, I don't think a Pizza Cup goal is going to scratch the itch for very long, needs a league goal soon too!
[Post edited 1 Sep 2022 11:03]

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

The Non-Scoring Striker on 10:54 - Sep 1 with 1543 viewsclive_baker

Yep, it's a myth that some have run with as we're free scoring right now. I think there's a perfectly valid point around our number 9's job being about far more than goals, that's certainly true. That said, forwards need to score. Not saying Ladapo can't or wont, but lets not kid ourselves that KM isn't expecting goals from his front man.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

The Non-Scoring Striker on 10:58 - Sep 1 with 1523 viewsSteve_M

The Non-Scoring Striker on 10:50 - Sep 1 by jayessess

That said, I don't think a Pizza Cup goal is going to scratch the itch for very long, needs a league goal soon too!

"That said, I don't think a Pizza Cup goal is going to scratch the itch for very long, needs a league goal soon too!"

Yep, but it will help. Although I thought that with Piggot's collection of an own-goal somehow given to him, a penalty and a pizza cup goal early last season....

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

The Non-Scoring Striker on 11:11 - Sep 1 with 1457 viewsPabloReuser

The Non-Scoring Striker on 10:50 - Sep 1 by jayessess

"That said, I don't think a Pizza Cup goal is going to scratch the itch for very long, needs a league goal soon too!"

Your point about scratching the itch is right, but it's not that he just needs a league goal soon to do it. It'll be an ongoing itch, so he'll need one, then another, then another, then another... Then his confidence and all-round game will soar!

Didn't Jackson score last season and then come out with a quote about how he finally felt like he was a footballer again? Scoring goals - there's nothing quite like it.
The Non-Scoring Striker on 11:20 - Sep 1 with 1385 viewsdirtyboy

The Non-Scoring Striker on 10:54 - Sep 1 by clive_baker

Yep, it's a myth that some have run with as we're free scoring right now. I think there's a perfectly valid point around our number 9's job being about far more than goals, that's certainly true. That said, forwards need to score. Not saying Ladapo can't or wont, but lets not kid ourselves that KM isn't expecting goals from his front man.

I've seen enough from Ladapo so far to know he'll score goals.

He's missed a few you'd have ordinarily expected him to score so far, but ultimately, and importantly, he's doing the other part of the job he's there to do AND getting his fair share of chances.

He'll come good and i've no doubt in that.
Login to get fewer ads

The Non-Scoring Striker on 11:23 - Sep 1 with 1371 viewsclive_baker

The Non-Scoring Striker on 11:20 - Sep 1 by dirtyboy

I've seen enough from Ladapo so far to know he'll score goals.

He's missed a few you'd have ordinarily expected him to score so far, but ultimately, and importantly, he's doing the other part of the job he's there to do AND getting his fair share of chances.

He'll come good and i've no doubt in that.

I would be inclined to agree. We're not talking about an unproven kid, he's been around the block and certainly for the last few years he's shown he can score. It's a different role he's playing for us but he'll continue to get chances, and he needs to convert them. Like you I think he will, hopefully Tuesday will have helped but one in the league is important.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

The Non-Scoring Striker on 12:35 - Sep 1 with 1266 viewsitfcjoe

I think people's views are somewhat clouded by strikers not scoring last season.

Ladapo is ranked 18th in the division for open play xG, and 6th in the division for shots per 90 - he's getting as many good quality chances as basically any other striker in the league - that he hasn't scored yet is the issue as to why he's a non scoring striker.

Our striker is there to get on the end of chances and score goals, they can't get an easy ride by working hard and our number 9s need to get 25 goals between them in reality

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

The Non-Scoring Striker on 12:45 - Sep 1 with 1201 viewsdirtyboy

The Non-Scoring Striker on 12:35 - Sep 1 by itfcjoe

I think people's views are somewhat clouded by strikers not scoring last season.

Ladapo is ranked 18th in the division for open play xG, and 6th in the division for shots per 90 - he's getting as many good quality chances as basically any other striker in the league - that he hasn't scored yet is the issue as to why he's a non scoring striker.

Our striker is there to get on the end of chances and score goals, they can't get an easy ride by working hard and our number 9s need to get 25 goals between them in reality

He's not getting an easy ride, he's very much under the spotlight by a great deal of supporters.

My point is that most strikers have patches where they don't score and he really should already be off the mark in the league by all accounts.

However, like with points, Freddie should be judged on a full season, not what is a relatively small sample of games.
The Non-Scoring Striker on 12:46 - Sep 1 with 1193 viewsPrideOfTheEast

The Non-Scoring Striker on 12:35 - Sep 1 by itfcjoe

Completely agree. The amount of chances we create, whoever the 9 is should be scoring goals and needs to be.

Like the look of the guy from Burton. Very direct and a good physique - will suit us.
The Non-Scoring Striker on 12:53 - Sep 1 with 1170 viewsitfcjoe

The Non-Scoring Striker on 12:45 - Sep 1 by dirtyboy

He's not getting an easy ride, he's very much under the spotlight by a great deal of supporters.

My point is that most strikers have patches where they don't score and he really should already be off the mark in the league by all accounts.

However, like with points, Freddie should be judged on a full season, not what is a relatively small sample of games.

I mean we don't need to have people claiming the strikers role isn't to score goals, if he had a couple now in the league (which he should have) then things would be fine - if he doesn't score in his next 5 then we are in a bit of trouble.

I haven't looked back at his record but guess he is probably a streaky goalscorer and confident he'll get in that 18-20 range in this side this season - but we do need that from him or we'll be recruiting again in January

The Non-Scoring Striker on 13:06 - Sep 1 with 1109 viewsGarv

The Non-Scoring Striker on 12:53 - Sep 1 by itfcjoe

I mean we don't need to have people claiming the strikers role isn't to score goals, if he had a couple now in the league (which he should have) then things would be fine - if he doesn't score in his next 5 then we are in a bit of trouble.

I haven't looked back at his record but guess he is probably a streaky goalscorer and confident he'll get in that 18-20 range in this side this season - but we do need that from him or we'll be recruiting again in January

I don't think his scoring last season does suggest he's streaky. His goals were fairly spread out throughout the year.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

The Non-Scoring Striker on 13:29 - Sep 1 with 1036 viewsBigCommon

The Non-Scoring Striker on 12:53 - Sep 1 by itfcjoe

We don't need to have people judging strikers on goals alone...
We're in no trouble at all if the team keeps on picking up points at the current rate.. Even if Freddy doesn't net again for 10 games.
Your comments put negative attention on a strikers goal rate. When a team is doing well and the striker is contributing for the team.

Answer this Joe.. How come KM values Jackson above the three departed Bonne, Norwood and Piggot.. When he's hardly a goal machine.? Perhaps look beyond the goals.? And look for what else they bring to the table..
The Non-Scoring Striker on 13:32 - Sep 1 with 1010 viewsPrideOfTheEast

The Non-Scoring Striker on 13:29 - Sep 1 by BigCommon

We're in no trouble at all if the team keeps on picking up points at the current rate.. Even if Freddy doesn't net again for 10 games.
Your comments put negative attention on a strikers goal rate. When a team is doing well and the striker is contributing for the team.

Answer this Joe.. How come KM values Jackson above the three departed Bonne, Norwood and Piggot.. When he's hardly a goal machine.? Perhaps look beyond the goals.? And look for what else they bring to the table..

Norwood isn't a good fit for lots of reasons.
Bonne cannot hold up the ball, nor time a run.
Piggott didn't look anything like good enough.

Jackson isn't good enough as a 9 but can play a role (as we've seen). I'd get rid of him personally but he offers more to a KM system than any of the above.

We're covered in the 9 slot with Ladapo, TJJ and the new guy. They obviously wanted a Keane type, who would have replaced Ladapo as the main man. Read into that what you will.
The Non-Scoring Striker on 13:33 - Sep 1 with 1008 viewsitfcjoe

The Non-Scoring Striker on 13:29 - Sep 1 by BigCommon

Jackson has a good goal and assist record under McKenna - 4 goals and 3 assists in the equivalent of 8.3 league games

That far outshines what Bonne, Norwood and Pigott did under him here.

And it's not about judging strikers on goals alone, but they have to contribute - FL has had big chances in basically every game we've had - as I said he 'should' have scored the most goals in our squad and hasn't found the net yet.

That won't continue, I'm sure, but if it does it will become a problem in the tight games when you need your striker to score

The Non-Scoring Striker on 14:27 - Sep 1 with 898 viewsAlanG296

I do think, rightly or wrongly, that in these days of squad numbers, the number 9 shirt still carries a level of expectation of goals, both with many fans and perhaps with some professionals. I very much doubt that with his style of play that KM does, but would be interesting to know whether Freddie had any say in the shirt number. We know for example that Morsy wanted and got the 5, traditionally usually a central defender's number.
The Non-Scoring Striker on 15:49 - Sep 1 with 792 viewsBigCommon

The Non-Scoring Striker on 13:33 - Sep 1 by itfcjoe

Jackson has a good goal and assist record under McKenna - 4 goals and 3 assists in the equivalent of 8.3 league games

That far outshines what Bonne, Norwood and Pigott did under him here.

And it's not about judging strikers on goals alone, but they have to contribute - FL has had big chances in basically every game we've had - as I said he 'should' have scored the most goals in our squad and hasn't found the net yet.

That won't continue, I'm sure, but if it does it will become a problem in the tight games when you need your striker to score

Point taken on the Jackson stats. Although I'd hazard a guess that you've added up the minutes and divided by 90?.. So for goals per appearances would look less impressive..
Personally, I think we've already come through a few tight games. without a prolific striker.

Think we'll have to agree to disagree on this subject.. I'm seeing a formula on the pitch. That has us joint top, with the best goal difference in L1. Plenty of goal scorers. Hard to defend against. The chances falling to several players in any one game. And not souly focused on our number 9..
I think TJJ's goal is the only goal to come from a striker in the league, so far. From 12 goals scored in 6 games by the team? Jackson nicked one, but wasn't on point was more on the right, supporting..
Embrace it Joe.. We don't play with a conventional striker.
30 years ago, I noticed baked beans had crept into a full English breakfast. 10 years later, chips and hash browns started appearing. It was hard to accept, bit strange at first A break from tradition.. But I let it go. And just accept it nowadays.
The Non-Scoring Striker on 16:09 - Sep 1 with 763 viewsitfcjoe

The Non-Scoring Striker on 15:49 - Sep 1 by BigCommon

Point taken on the Jackson stats. Although I'd hazard a guess that you've added up the minutes and divided by 90?.. So for goals per appearances would look less impressive..
Personally, I think we've already come through a few tight games. without a prolific striker.

Think we'll have to agree to disagree on this subject.. I'm seeing a formula on the pitch. That has us joint top, with the best goal difference in L1. Plenty of goal scorers. Hard to defend against. The chances falling to several players in any one game. And not souly focused on our number 9..
I think TJJ's goal is the only goal to come from a striker in the league, so far. From 12 goals scored in 6 games by the team? Jackson nicked one, but wasn't on point was more on the right, supporting..
Embrace it Joe.. We don't play with a conventional striker.
30 years ago, I noticed baked beans had crept into a full English breakfast. 10 years later, chips and hash browns started appearing. It was hard to accept, bit strange at first A break from tradition.. But I let it go. And just accept it nowadays.

It's not about accepting it, but just in the system we are playing our number 9 is getting more chances than anyone else in the team, and these are of a higher quality as evidenced by the xG numbers.

Goals come from throughout the side, but this isn't like last season when our strikers just stopped having shots - the system has moved on and if the striker doesn't score the chances he has it will become a problem.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024