Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Messi v Ronaldo 02:50 - Dec 21 with 1927 viewsMalcolmMeatballHead

Just wanna express my feelings I always thought Ronaldo was the greatest and one of the reasons behind that was the fact he has done it in more countries than Messi but seeing Messi win the cup I think he really is the undisputed greatest.

Not the same I know but do you remember when we had Gio Dos Santos on loan? That felt like we had Messi, he was an absolute class above, the only boy I've ever seen looking so classy in a town shirt was Kieren Dyer.

Edit: Mauricio Tarrico deserves a mention too. Wow, what a player he was!
[Post edited 21 Dec 2022 2:53]
Messi v Ronaldo on 07:31 - Dec 21 with 1793 viewsAYACCA

You forgot Darren Currie
Messi v Ronaldo on 07:42 - Dec 21 with 1774 viewsMattinLondon

Messi v Ronaldo on 07:31 - Dec 21 by AYACCA

You forgot Darren Currie

True story. Darren Currie started a race five years ago, I started five minutes ago and have just overtook him.
Messi v Ronaldo on 10:55 - Dec 21 with 1546 viewsiamipswich

For me, it's not been close for a while. I think it's easy to get bogged down in different narratives that one can construct to make one or the other, 'the best'. Things like winning in other countries etc. which I don't think is relevant, especially when you look at where Ronaldo won his titles. (2 in 9 years with RM, joined Juve who had won 8 in a row, 3 with Fergie's United).

I think if we can try and boil it down to the actual debate of who is the better footballer, which can be tough to get our heads around, I think there is no debate. Ronaldo is incredible at one touch finishes and getting into the right position. Messi's dribbling is above anything ever seen, his goal record is arguably better than Ronaldo's and he has the assists and creativity on top.

I don't think actually winning the World Cup should really make much difference (his performances during the tournament, yes), but if it sways more people and moves us one step closer to ending the debate then I think that's good news for all of us!
[Post edited 21 Dec 2022 11:50]

Poll: Who will return first?

Messi v Ronaldo on 10:59 - Dec 21 with 1535 viewsBluefields

Messi v Ronaldo on 10:55 - Dec 21 by iamipswich

For me, it's not been close for a while. I think it's easy to get bogged down in different narratives that one can construct to make one or the other, 'the best'. Things like winning in other countries etc. which I don't think is relevant, especially when you look at where Ronaldo won his titles. (2 in 9 years with RM, joined Juve who had won 8 in a row, 3 with Fergie's United).

I think if we can try and boil it down to the actual debate of who is the better footballer, which can be tough to get our heads around, I think there is no debate. Ronaldo is incredible at one touch finishes and getting into the right position. Messi's dribbling is above anything ever seen, his goal record is arguably better than Ronaldo's and he has the assists and creativity on top.

I don't think actually winning the World Cup should really make much difference (his performances during the tournament, yes), but if it sways more people and moves us one step closer to ending the debate then I think that's good news for all of us!
[Post edited 21 Dec 2022 11:50]

Not sure why but if I had to pick only one at their best I would go for Ronaldo.
Although now believe Messi to be the best of his generation but still some way behind Maradona.
Messi v Ronaldo on 11:02 - Dec 21 with 1526 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

Messi is far better and has been for a number of year.

Goals is fairly similar but then by every other metric Messi is better. The leagues thing i don't understand because Messi has been terrorising clubs in the champions league for years.

But the most simple argument is just to watch them play football. If you do that, then its fairly clear that Messi is vastly superior.

Best player of the generation, imo best player of all time followed by Pele and Maradona.
[Post edited 21 Dec 2022 11:03]

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

Messi v Ronaldo on 11:16 - Dec 21 with 1478 viewsBloomBlue

Messi v Ronaldo on 11:02 - Dec 21 by TRUE_BLUE123

Messi is far better and has been for a number of year.

Goals is fairly similar but then by every other metric Messi is better. The leagues thing i don't understand because Messi has been terrorising clubs in the champions league for years.

But the most simple argument is just to watch them play football. If you do that, then its fairly clear that Messi is vastly superior.

Best player of the generation, imo best player of all time followed by Pele and Maradona.
[Post edited 21 Dec 2022 11:03]

For me Pele will always be the greatest he won the WC three times.
However times change as someone said the other day when Pele was playing you could headbutt another player and get away with. If you look at some of the tackles Pele had to take even in the 66WC without any sending offs it was ridiculous.
I know Messi / Ronaldo have been on the end of some bad challenges but would they survive those challenges?

That's always the problem with comparing times change, even the ball is a completely different weight now.
Messi v Ronaldo on 11:19 - Dec 21 with 1471 viewsitfcsuth

Messi.

If you go through statistics, which I don't read too much but I suspect their statistical comparison is pretty similar and could make an argument for either depending which way you want the narrative to go.

However, if actually watch the two play the game, even in their prime, I think then you can see the ability of Messi, what he can do with a football and how he can create magic on his own, it has always been obvious to me he is the greatest footballer on the planet.
Messi v Ronaldo on 11:23 - Dec 21 with 1451 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

Messi v Ronaldo on 11:16 - Dec 21 by BloomBlue

For me Pele will always be the greatest he won the WC three times.
However times change as someone said the other day when Pele was playing you could headbutt another player and get away with. If you look at some of the tackles Pele had to take even in the 66WC without any sending offs it was ridiculous.
I know Messi / Ronaldo have been on the end of some bad challenges but would they survive those challenges?

That's always the problem with comparing times change, even the ball is a completely different weight now.

I do agree about the difficulty of comparing across Eras.

I don't put a lot of stock in to international trophies personally. Was great to see Messi win it. But international trophies in the most part are about luck. Pele played in some incredible Brazil teams (doesn't take away from his greatness) and Messi has played in some really poor Argentina teams, the one that just won wasn't that good tbh.

Messi has two player of the tournaments at WCs and Pele I think has one but could've had more. Those personal awards i put more stock in to.

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

Login to get fewer ads

Messi v Ronaldo on 11:50 - Dec 21 with 1397 viewsiamipswich

Messi v Ronaldo on 10:59 - Dec 21 by Bluefields

Not sure why but if I had to pick only one at their best I would go for Ronaldo.
Although now believe Messi to be the best of his generation but still some way behind Maradona.

Messi's season where he scored 91 goals is the best season(/calendar year?) that anyone has ever had. The highest peak a player has ever reached in individual performance surely.

But I am not old enough to have watched Maradona or Pele so I'm not going to sit here and pretend to know.

Poll: Who will return first?

Messi v Ronaldo on 14:03 - Dec 21 with 1251 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

The correct answer is that it is subjective and doesn't matter.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Messi v Ronaldo on 14:27 - Dec 21 with 1222 viewsZx1988

Messi.

If only for the fact that he's never been accused of r*pe.

Poll: Stone Island - immediate associations

Messi v Ronaldo on 18:48 - Dec 21 with 1116 viewsNomore4

Messi v Ronaldo on 11:50 - Dec 21 by iamipswich

Messi's season where he scored 91 goals is the best season(/calendar year?) that anyone has ever had. The highest peak a player has ever reached in individual performance surely.

But I am not old enough to have watched Maradona or Pele so I'm not going to sit here and pretend to know.

I was privileged to have seen Messi play live in his prime years.
At the same time watching live, the greatest football team ever assembled.
The Barca side containing Xavi, Iniesta, Neymer, Messi etc etc at the Camp Nou.
Amazing to say the least.
Messi v Ronaldo on 18:56 - Dec 21 with 1084 viewsnoggin

Messi v Ronaldo on 14:27 - Dec 21 by Zx1988

Messi.

If only for the fact that he's never been accused of r*pe.

Accused doesn't equate to guilt. You know that, right?

Poll: If KM goes now, will you applaud him when he returns with his new club?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024