Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Now, are we going too far here? 14:36 - May 5 with 1454 viewshomer_123

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-65496426

So, a kids TV show has been edited :

"Some said they did not want their children to see adults being dissatisfied with the shape of their bodies, and only using exercise to lose weight."

Surely, you want the opposite of this don't you? If I, as a parent, recognise that I'm overweight and look to do something about that (including exercise or looking to eat more healthily), from a health and wellbeing perspective, why would that be an issue for kids?

This seems nuts to me.
[Post edited 5 May 2023 14:38]

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Now, are we going too far here? on 14:37 - May 5 with 1414 viewsGeoffSentence

I think so too, especially as the real health crisis, the elephant in the room if you like, is obesity, yet it seems to be the thing to encourage it.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Now, are we going too far here? on 14:41 - May 5 with 1368 viewsJ2BLUE

Absolute madness. The world is going insane.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Now, are we going too far here? on 14:41 - May 5 with 1369 viewsDanTheMan

I can understand where they are coming from, but it does seem odd not to promote exercise to children.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Now, are we going too far here? on 14:43 - May 5 with 1357 viewsunbelievablue

Depends really. Parents saying nasty stuff about their kids weight doesn't seem like it would fit well on a kids TV show. If it was loving, supportive, caring etc. then sure, leave it in.

EDIT - read the article. Madness.
[Post edited 5 May 2023 14:44]

Le meilleur des mondes possibles
Poll: When booking a reservation at a restaurant/bar, do you give...

Now, are we going too far here? on 14:44 - May 5 with 1345 viewshomer_123

Now, are we going too far here? on 14:43 - May 5 by unbelievablue

Depends really. Parents saying nasty stuff about their kids weight doesn't seem like it would fit well on a kids TV show. If it was loving, supportive, caring etc. then sure, leave it in.

EDIT - read the article. Madness.
[Post edited 5 May 2023 14:44]

Seen your edit, yep, that isn't the case here, just madness isn't it.

Now, are we going too far here? on 14:45 - May 5 with 1342 viewsBlueBadger

Now, are we going too far here? on 14:37 - May 5 by GeoffSentence

I think so too, especially as the real health crisis, the elephant in the room if you like, is obesity, yet it seems to be the thing to encourage it.

Interestingly enough, irresponsible and thoughtless media and family/peer messaging in earlier life can drive and/or fuel eating disorders in later later life.

https://www.psychiatry.org/news-room/apa-blogs/eating-disorders-weight-shaming-a

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Do we still want KM to be our manager
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Now, are we going too far here? on 14:46 - May 5 with 1343 viewsBlueBadger

The tone and style of the messaging is massively important.

https://www.psychiatry.org/news-room/apa-blogs/eating-disorders-weight-shaming-a

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.

Now, are we going too far here? on 14:48 - May 5 with 1319 viewshomer_123

Now, are we going too far here? on 14:41 - May 5 by DanTheMan

I can understand where they are coming from, but it does seem odd not to promote exercise to children.

I'm not sure I can.

Parent recognises that they are overweight and need to maybe trim up and eat better etc. That shows self-awareness, self-respect, a good amount of looking after ones own body and by doing so improve ones mental wellbeing etc.

I cannot fathom why these would not be good things for your child to see in you, as a parent?

Login to get fewer ads

Now, are we going too far here? on 14:49 - May 5 with 1315 viewshomer_123

Now, are we going too far here? on 14:46 - May 5 by BlueBadger

The tone and style of the messaging is massively important.

No doubt Badge, absolutely right.

I am struggling to see the issue with this particular episode. Maybe it's me.

In 50 years time.... on 14:50 - May 5 with 1313 viewsBloots

....everyone will be dropping dead from heart disease, whilst not knowing what sex they are.

Can't wait.

Actually I'll probably be long gone.

Hooray.

Enduringly lovable, intelligent and thunderingly exquisite.

Now, are we going too far here? on 14:58 - May 5 with 1272 viewsBlueBadger

Now, are we going too far here? on 14:49 - May 5 by homer_123

No doubt Badge, absolutely right.

I am struggling to see the issue with this particular episode. Maybe it's me.

Again, the messaging.

'The decision was welcomed by Dr Laura Renshaw-Vuillier, a senior lecturer at Bournemouth University and an expert on eating disorders and mental illness.
"I think it's extremely important that we have discussions around healthy eating and exercise, but more from a health perspective rather than from a fat-shaming perspective," she told BBC News.
"I did not see that episode, but I like how Bandit is so playful with his kids, and I think that if they can promote a way of doing exercise for fun rather than to lose weight it's great."

Now, are we going too far here? on 15:02 - May 5 with 1258 viewshomer_123

Now, are we going too far here? on 14:58 - May 5 by BlueBadger

Again, the messaging.

'The decision was welcomed by Dr Laura Renshaw-Vuillier, a senior lecturer at Bournemouth University and an expert on eating disorders and mental illness.
"I think it's extremely important that we have discussions around healthy eating and exercise, but more from a health perspective rather than from a fat-shaming perspective," she told BBC News.
"I did not see that episode, but I like how Bandit is so playful with his kids, and I think that if they can promote a way of doing exercise for fun rather than to lose weight it's great."

The give away, though, is surely this: "I did not see that episode..."

That aside, I wonder what aspect of this episode is 'fat-shaming'?

Now, are we going too far here? on 15:04 - May 5 with 1250 viewsBlueBadger

Now, are we going too far here? on 15:02 - May 5 by homer_123

To be honest, I don't really know either. But I doubt much has been lost and there's no harm to be gone, tbh.

Now, are we going too far here? on 15:16 - May 5 with 1195 viewsDanTheMan

Now, are we going too far here? on 15:02 - May 5 by homer_123

I think their point would be basically you can promote healthy eating and exercise without the episode having a character in a show point out they are doing so because one of them is fat. Something like that.

The danger, as outlined by Badger, isn't so much that you end up with loads of people who are fat but lots of people who have very unhealthy relationships with food from the other direction.

My wife is currently an assistant psychologist who works in an eating disorder clinic. The waiting list is very, very long and the people they see tend to be on the younger side and even then only the most extreme as they have barely any funding. The pandemic has not helped either.

https://www.england.nhs.uk/2022/03/nhs-treating-record-number-of-young-people-fo

There is definitely a conversation to be had around this area about where you draw the line of course.
[Post edited 5 May 2023 15:18]

Now, are we going too far here? on 15:26 - May 5 with 1145 viewshomer_123

Now, are we going too far here? on 15:16 - May 5 by DanTheMan

I think their point would be basically you can promote healthy eating and exercise without the episode having a character in a show point out they are doing so because one of them is fat. Something like that.

The danger, as outlined by Badger, isn't so much that you end up with loads of people who are fat but lots of people who have very unhealthy relationships with food from the other direction.

My wife is currently an assistant psychologist who works in an eating disorder clinic. The waiting list is very, very long and the people they see tend to be on the younger side and even then only the most extreme as they have barely any funding. The pandemic has not helped either.

https://www.england.nhs.uk/2022/03/nhs-treating-record-number-of-young-people-fo

There is definitely a conversation to be had around this area about where you draw the line of course.
[Post edited 5 May 2023 15:18]

Yep, first para makes sense Dan.

Though I'd refer back to my reply to you below....not sure what is wrong with self-awareness (i.e. the parent hasn't been fat shamed, they recognised they may need to do some things to be healthier) and why would this be a 'bad' thing for their kids to see?

Now, are we going too far here? on 15:29 - May 5 with 1132 viewsDanTheMan

Now, are we going too far here? on 15:26 - May 5 by homer_123

Though I'd refer back to my reply to you below....not sure what is wrong with self-awareness (i.e. the parent hasn't been fat shamed, they recognised they may need to do some things to be healthier) and why would this be a 'bad' thing for their kids to see?

The simple answer is, I don't know. Not my field of specialty, I only know a little because of what my wife does and also some exposure to people with eating disorders.

My wife probably would probably know whether this sort of thing works or actually makes the problem worse but she's in the office at the moment. I'm sure there is research out there that would show one way or the other.

Now, are we going too far here? on 15:31 - May 5 with 1117 viewshomer_123

Now, are we going too far here? on 15:29 - May 5 by DanTheMan

The simple answer is, I don't know. Not my field of specialty, I only know a little because of what my wife does and also some exposure to people with eating disorders.

My wife probably would probably know whether this sort of thing works or actually makes the problem worse but she's in the office at the moment. I'm sure there is research out there that would show one way or the other.

Fair does Dan.

Now, are we going too far here? on 15:33 - May 5 with 1080 viewsunbelievablue

Now, are we going too far here? on 15:26 - May 5 by homer_123

I guess the argument would go something like this:

- Ideally kids should exercise for enjoyment as much as anything else
- Adults therefore shouldn't link exercise to weight loss either primarily or exclusively

Edit - in principle I actually do subscribe to the above but I don't think this cartoon was anywhere near the line.
[Post edited 5 May 2023 15:35]

Le meilleur des mondes possibles
Poll: When booking a reservation at a restaurant/bar, do you give...

Now, are we going too far here? on 18:25 - May 5 with 915 viewsBluespeed225

And Doughnut is the reason why we can't see The Double Deckers on TV!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024