Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Bobby Robson Roy Hodgson Link 13:21 - Aug 16 with 1711 viewsKeno

Sorry if previously posted but I wasnt aware of this

"Robson was instrumental in guiding Hodgson through the early stage of his career. “Roy joined the Surrey coaches association,” says Alan Smith, another former Palace manager. “This group consisted mostly of coaches who were not top players, but who had a teaching background [Hodgson worked at a couple of schools in south London]. At the time there was a negative attitude towards anyone entering coaching who had not played the game at the highest level.” Robson was more open-minded, encouraging coaches who had not been elite players to spend some him with him at Ipswich observing his methods – an initiative that Robson funded himself."

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2023/aug/09/roy-hodgson-celebrates-76th-bir

Poll: Where will be finish next season
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

I genuinely start welling up when reading/listening/watching Sir Bobby stuff on 13:24 - Aug 16 with 1666 viewsDyland

What a fackin guy, a one in a million legend.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Bobby Robson Roy Hodgson Link on 13:31 - Aug 16 with 1617 views66notout

Good article, thank you for posting. There is another Ipswich connection in that Hodgson’s friend, Bobby Houghton, was also a member of Robson’s coaching staff at Portman Road.
Bobby Robson Roy Hodgson Link on 16:28 - Aug 16 with 1362 viewsChampionsofInnsbruck

A lot of good coaches had rubbish playing careers, look at Wenger for example, or going back to the 90's Roy Evans at Liverpool yet very few superstar players make it as great coaches.
I genuinely start welling up when reading/listening/watching Sir Bobby stuff on 20:50 - Aug 16 with 1114 viewsBlueBadger

I genuinely start welling up when reading/listening/watching Sir Bobby stuff on 13:24 - Aug 16 by Dyland

And what about Sir Bobby?

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Where would it be funniest to see NCFC fans crying on the telly?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Bobby Robson Roy Hodgson Link on 21:37 - Aug 16 with 1020 viewsMelford

Sven as well, Bobby invited him to sit in the dugout in his fledgling days

Sven on Sir Bobby 16th Jun 2002 10:53
England manager Sven-Goran Eriksson has commented on former Town boss Bobby Robson receiving a knighthood. The Swede has known Sir Bobby since his days at Town when he made a number of visits to Ipswich to learn from the more established manager. 0

Dragging TWTD into the gutter since 2009
Poll: What do you call this site?

I genuinely start welling up when reading/listening/watching Sir Bobby stuff on 00:02 - Aug 17 with 896 viewsLord_Lucan

I genuinely start welling up when reading/listening/watching Sir Bobby stuff on 13:24 - Aug 16 by Dyland

I am being perfectly serious here, whenever I read things about SBR - and in fact other great people, I always think to myself "Lucan, you must do better".

I think I have failed to live up to that level human kindness a lot of my life but I like to think I am going in the right direction now, maybe by the time I die I will be a quarter of the man SBR was, and that would probably be a magnificent achievement.

Last night I was YouTubing things about Brian Clough, I do that now and again as I found him a very interesting man. It wasn't until last night though that I found out that there was some teenager at Forest who broke down in BC's car about the crap he was getting at home. BC immediately said to him, "Now we are not going to have that young man" and made the kid live with him - albeit with the odd break by living around BC's sons houses. Went on for a few years apparently.
[Post edited 17 Aug 2023 1:02]

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

I genuinely start welling up when reading/listening/watching Sir Bobby stuff on 09:38 - Aug 17 with 645 viewsKeno

I genuinely start welling up when reading/listening/watching Sir Bobby stuff on 00:02 - Aug 17 by Lord_Lucan

I am being perfectly serious here, whenever I read things about SBR - and in fact other great people, I always think to myself "Lucan, you must do better".

I think I have failed to live up to that level human kindness a lot of my life but I like to think I am going in the right direction now, maybe by the time I die I will be a quarter of the man SBR was, and that would probably be a magnificent achievement.

Last night I was YouTubing things about Brian Clough, I do that now and again as I found him a very interesting man. It wasn't until last night though that I found out that there was some teenager at Forest who broke down in BC's car about the crap he was getting at home. BC immediately said to him, "Now we are not going to have that young man" and made the kid live with him - albeit with the odd break by living around BC's sons houses. Went on for a few years apparently.
[Post edited 17 Aug 2023 1:02]

I seem to remember hearing that Gates, known by Sir Bob as Sykes, was terribly homesick when he first came to Town so Sir Bob and Lady Elsie had him live with them for quite a while

Poll: Where will be finish next season
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024