Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Last night's alleged bias 13:16 - Jun 1 with 4254 viewsBlueNomad

Yes there was bias. Five of the seven parties represented last week are left of centre. The bottom line is that there are many more people who will vote for those five in total than they will Conservative or UKIP.

Sorry Glassers - you are in a minority even if the Tories win.
Last night's alleged bias on 13:23 - Jun 1 with 3701 viewsconnorscontract

There was a case for not having the Nats involved as they are not fielding candidates across the UK.

But your post rightly illustrates the anti-democratic nature of First Past the Post.

Labour need to wake up and realise that without Scotland they will never have enough MP's to be in majority Government again, barring a major (Watergate level) scandal.

IF they can cobble together a coalition they should make PR the first piece of legislation. The Lib Dems and Greens should insist on it. Then there would be hope for genuine political engagement and parties fighting on proper policies, not just "courting the middle ground" mush.
Last night's alleged bias on 13:24 - Jun 1 with 3696 viewsBlueNomad

Why the down? Is it because you like the thought of the Tories winning and you don't agree with my comment (which will almost certainly be proved correct) or because it frightens you?
Last night's alleged bias on 13:31 - Jun 1 with 3673 viewsWD19

Last time around the Labout Party, Lib Dems, SNP, Greens and ALL assorted others (bar Conservative and UKIP) accounted for 50.5% of the share of the vote.
Last night's alleged bias on 14:22 - Jun 1 with 3593 viewsGeoffSentence

Last night's alleged bias on 13:23 - Jun 1 by connorscontract

There was a case for not having the Nats involved as they are not fielding candidates across the UK.

But your post rightly illustrates the anti-democratic nature of First Past the Post.

Labour need to wake up and realise that without Scotland they will never have enough MP's to be in majority Government again, barring a major (Watergate level) scandal.

IF they can cobble together a coalition they should make PR the first piece of legislation. The Lib Dems and Greens should insist on it. Then there would be hope for genuine political engagement and parties fighting on proper policies, not just "courting the middle ground" mush.

I was wondering on what grounds UKIP were included this time. They don't have any MPs and their vote collapsed at at the council elections.

Next time round, unless something unexpected happens, I doubt that they will be considered significant enough to be invited.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Last night's alleged bias on 16:19 - Jun 1 with 3526 viewsArcher4721

Last night's alleged bias on 14:22 - Jun 1 by GeoffSentence

I was wondering on what grounds UKIP were included this time. They don't have any MPs and their vote collapsed at at the council elections.

Next time round, unless something unexpected happens, I doubt that they will be considered significant enough to be invited.

Last night's alleged bias on 16:29 - Jun 1 with 3493 viewsGlasgowBlue

Do you consider the SNP left of centre? They are a broad coalition of left right and centre. The Lib Dems under clegg had more in common with Cameron than Miliband or Brown. Read the Orange Book.

But even if I give you those at the last election The Tories, Ukip and Unionists polled 50.5%

Labour, Lib/Dem, SNP, Green and PC polled 47.4%. But I'll be even more generous to you just so your post won't look a complete failure and I'll throw in Sinn Feinn to balance the Unionists. You now have a total of 48%.

Arf!

Edit. I seem to have killed your thread.
[Post edited 1 Jun 2017 16:35]

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Last night's alleged bias on 16:42 - Jun 1 with 3465 viewsconnorscontract

Last night's alleged bias on 13:31 - Jun 1 by WD19

Last time around the Labout Party, Lib Dems, SNP, Greens and ALL assorted others (bar Conservative and UKIP) accounted for 50.5% of the share of the vote.

Under First Past the Post. Because loads of people don't bother voting in "certainty" constituencies.

The BBC ran an article after the Referendum about the "mystery" 3 million: the extra people who voted who don't in General Elections. There is no mystery. In a yes/no referendum every vote counts, so people bother voting. In a constituency election where the sitting MP has a 10,000+ majority there is little incentive to vote.

It's anti-democratic. And the next Election will be fought with adjusted boundaries that disadvantage Labour further.
Last night's alleged bias on 16:54 - Jun 1 with 3444 viewsblue_oyster

Last night's alleged bias on 14:22 - Jun 1 by GeoffSentence

They got the 3rd highest share of the vote at the last election.

Conventional wisdom is the enemy of thought.
Poll: Who is the most hated contributor to this site?

Login to get fewer ads

Last night's alleged bias on 16:57 - Jun 1 with 3423 viewsGlasgowBlue

Last night's alleged bias on 16:42 - Jun 1 by connorscontract

Under First Past the Post. Because loads of people don't bother voting in "certainty" constituencies.

The BBC ran an article after the Referendum about the "mystery" 3 million: the extra people who voted who don't in General Elections. There is no mystery. In a yes/no referendum every vote counts, so people bother voting. In a constituency election where the sitting MP has a 10,000+ majority there is little incentive to vote.

It's anti-democratic. And the next Election will be fought with adjusted boundaries that disadvantage Labour further.

Countless surveys have show that the stay at home would vote pretty much the same as the rest of the country so for every RW voter that stays at home a lw voter does the same.

Anyway. At the last election the right polled over 50% so the op is wrong. That's why he has legged it.
[Post edited 1 Jun 2017 16:58]

Iron Lion Zion

Last night's alleged bias on 17:19 - Jun 1 with 3401 viewsFrowsyArmLarry

Unfortunately they're not really left of centre. One of the big issues at the moment is social care but is corbyn offering to nationalise care homes?? Of course he's not! He is going to nationalise industries that will give his mates some top jobs
Last night's alleged bias on 18:40 - Jun 1 with 3340 viewsgordon

Last night's alleged bias on 16:57 - Jun 1 by GlasgowBlue

Countless surveys have show that the stay at home would vote pretty much the same as the rest of the country so for every RW voter that stays at home a lw voter does the same.

Anyway. At the last election the right polled over 50% so the op is wrong. That's why he has legged it.

The reason for the perceived bias is surely that left-wing politicians are more likely to sound passionate and emotional, and so more likely to get cheers.

There must have been plenty of middle of the road tory voters cheering at the stuff from Robertson about the contribution immigrants make to our society, or some of the stuff from Lucas or Farron on public services/the environment.

While in contrast there just wasn't anything that Rudd said which was particularly cheerworthy, as far as I can remember.
Last night's alleged bias on 19:15 - Jun 1 with 3278 viewsconnorscontract

Hmmm. Tory areas have a higher voter turnout than traditional Labour areas.
Last night's alleged bias on 19:37 - Jun 1 with 3247 viewsWD19

Last night's alleged bias on 19:15 - Jun 1 by connorscontract

Hmmm. Tory areas have a higher voter turnout than traditional Labour areas.

If true that is a pretty damning reflection of the performance of the sitting Labour MP.
Last night's alleged bias on 19:55 - Jun 1 with 3229 viewsbluelagos

Last night's alleged bias on 16:29 - Jun 1 by GlasgowBlue

Do you consider the SNP left of centre? They are a broad coalition of left right and centre. The Lib Dems under clegg had more in common with Cameron than Miliband or Brown. Read the Orange Book.

But even if I give you those at the last election The Tories, Ukip and Unionists polled 50.5%

Labour, Lib/Dem, SNP, Green and PC polled 47.4%. But I'll be even more generous to you just so your post won't look a complete failure and I'll throw in Sinn Feinn to balance the Unionists. You now have a total of 48%.

Arf!

Fancy a Tory/Ukip/Unionists vs Lab/SNP/Lib/PC/SF/SDLP wager this time Glassers?

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Last night's alleged bias on 20:05 - Jun 1 with 3209 viewsGlasgowBlue

Last night's alleged bias on 19:55 - Jun 1 by bluelagos

Fancy a Tory/Ukip/Unionists vs Lab/SNP/Lib/PC/SF/SDLP wager this time Glassers?

No. I expect a Tory majority of between 60-100.

Iron Lion Zion

Last night's alleged bias on 20:07 - Jun 1 with 3204 viewsbluelagos

Last night's alleged bias on 20:05 - Jun 1 by GlasgowBlue

Which if they get less than 50% of the vote, would be an illegitimate mandate surely?

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Last night's alleged bias on 20:16 - Jun 1 with 3197 viewsBlueNomad

Last night's alleged bias on 16:29 - Jun 1 by GlasgowBlue

Arf!

Have you killed it because you say so?

I consider SNP to be left of centre because their govt actually work at education, health services etc for the Scots.

Do you think all of the evaporating UKIP vote will transfer to the Tories?

Labour may well get more votes. Massive numbers of youngsters have registered to vote recently. It appears most support Labour.
Last night's alleged bias on 20:18 - Jun 1 with 3192 viewsHARRY10

Last night's alleged bias on 20:05 - Jun 1 by GlasgowBlue

Expect or predict ?

It was a clear 100 a couple of days ago.

Proportional representation unfortunately puts the power in the wrong hands, and takes away grass roots accountability..

You do not vote for a candidate (MP) but the 'slate' of MP. That is a list. So if one party polls say 40% the top 40% of that list become MP's. So who decides the order in which candidates are placed ?

It then usually puts power in the hands of small parties with a few MP's, which usually means governments continually collapse as in Italy.

Presume the two main parties poll 48% each. It will be the other 4% who get to decide who is in power and can exact a hefty price for that backed by the knowledge that they can pull the plug at anytime.

Totally unworkable and extremely undemocratic, I'm afraid.
Last night's alleged bias on 20:19 - Jun 1 with 3187 viewsGlasgowBlue

Last night's alleged bias on 20:16 - Jun 1 by BlueNomad

Have you killed it because you say so?

I consider SNP to be left of centre because their govt actually work at education, health services etc for the Scots.

Do you think all of the evaporating UKIP vote will transfer to the Tories?

Labour may well get more votes. Massive numbers of youngsters have registered to vote recently. It appears most support Labour.

May well get yada yada yada.

I killed your argument dead because I gave you the facts based on the last election.

The Tories, Ukip and Unionists polled 50.5%

Labour, Lib/Dem, SNP, Green,PC and Sinn Fein polled 48%

Whatever way you try and spin it your op was factually incorrect.

Iron Lion Zion

Last night's alleged bias on 20:37 - Jun 1 with 3156 viewsBlueNomad

Last night's alleged bias on 20:19 - Jun 1 by GlasgowBlue

May well get yada yada yada.

I killed your argument dead because I gave you the facts based on the last election.

The Tories, Ukip and Unionists polled 50.5%

Labour, Lib/Dem, SNP, Green,PC and Sinn Fein polled 48%

Whatever way you try and spin it your op was factually incorrect.

I did not mention the last election anywhere in this thread. I did not spin, I made an assertion based on current polls

You're spinning - not me!

(I didn't leg it. I work away from my computer)
[Post edited 1 Jun 2017 20:59]
Last night's alleged bias (n/t) on 20:43 - Jun 1 with 3137 viewsBlueNomad

[Post edited 1 Jun 2017 20:58]
Last night's alleged bias on 21:09 - Jun 1 with 3086 viewsGlasgowBlue

Last night's alleged bias on 20:37 - Jun 1 by BlueNomad

I did not mention the last election anywhere in this thread. I did not spin, I made an assertion based on current polls

You're spinning - not me!

(I didn't leg it. I work away from my computer)
[Post edited 1 Jun 2017 20:59]

The latest Poll of Polls show Conservative 45% and Ukip 5% So unless you have the counting skills of Dianne Abbott there is no way that your 5 centre left (and I still dispute your definition) parties have more votes.

http://www.ukpolitical.info/General_election_polls.htm

Quit whilst you are losing mate.
[Post edited 1 Jun 2017 21:52]

Iron Lion Zion

Last night's alleged bias on 21:22 - Jun 1 with 3058 viewsHARRY10

Last night's alleged bias on 21:09 - Jun 1 by GlasgowBlue

The latest Poll of Polls show Conservative 45% and Ukip 5% So unless you have the counting skills of Dianne Abbott there is no way that your 5 centre left (and I still dispute your definition) parties have more votes.

http://www.ukpolitical.info/General_election_polls.htm

Quit whilst you are losing mate.
[Post edited 1 Jun 2017 21:52]

There seems no end to this right wing whining

The BBC engage an outside company to provide the audience -

155 people recruited for audience of 134
Two-phase online and telephone approach to recruitment
Audience members selected using detailed questionnaire designed by ComRes and approved by BBC
Adults who campaigned at any election from 2014 filtered out
Conservative and Labour had the largest share of supporters in the room
Smaller parties supported by appropriately lower number
50:50 split of Remain and Leave voters at EU referendum
Audience members contacted by phone and rescreened on key questions to ensure consistency with previous answers

check their methodology here -

http://www.comresglobal.com/comres-recruitment-for-the-bbc-tv-debate-31-may-2017

The truth is they imagine that everyone should be partisan and only cheer what ever their side says and boo the others. Maybe some folk actually react to what they hear irrespective of who said it.

Maybe also some were a mite pee'ed off that May had ducked out so were more willing to make their views felt.

So if Corbyn is this terrorist who will bankrupt the country within days of taking power why don't you trust the electorate to believe you about him, or be able to see through him themselves.

After all you trusted the same electorate when they were voicing the 'will of the people'

Or is it, that 'will' is not so trustworthy now it's not in your favour ?
Last night's alleged bias on 21:53 - Jun 1 with 3016 viewsGlasgowBlue

Last night's alleged bias on 21:22 - Jun 1 by HARRY10

There seems no end to this right wing whining

The BBC engage an outside company to provide the audience -

155 people recruited for audience of 134
Two-phase online and telephone approach to recruitment
Audience members selected using detailed questionnaire designed by ComRes and approved by BBC
Adults who campaigned at any election from 2014 filtered out
Conservative and Labour had the largest share of supporters in the room
Smaller parties supported by appropriately lower number
50:50 split of Remain and Leave voters at EU referendum
Audience members contacted by phone and rescreened on key questions to ensure consistency with previous answers

check their methodology here -

http://www.comresglobal.com/comres-recruitment-for-the-bbc-tv-debate-31-may-2017

The truth is they imagine that everyone should be partisan and only cheer what ever their side says and boo the others. Maybe some folk actually react to what they hear irrespective of who said it.

Maybe also some were a mite pee'ed off that May had ducked out so were more willing to make their views felt.

So if Corbyn is this terrorist who will bankrupt the country within days of taking power why don't you trust the electorate to believe you about him, or be able to see through him themselves.

After all you trusted the same electorate when they were voicing the 'will of the people'

Or is it, that 'will' is not so trustworthy now it's not in your favour ?

I'm not quite sure what your post has to do with my reply to Pragmatic Blue about how many people will vote for right wing or left swing parties but please rant away to yourself.

Iron Lion Zion

Last night's alleged bias on 21:59 - Jun 1 with 3004 viewsHARRY10

Last night's alleged bias on 21:53 - Jun 1 by GlasgowBlue

I'm not quite sure what your post has to do with my reply to Pragmatic Blue about how many people will vote for right wing or left swing parties but please rant away to yourself.

Perhaps I clicked the wrong button, intending it only to be a reply to the thread, so best not over excite yourself too much.

However if the cap fits... etc
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024