Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Come to Ely today if you like a bit of blacking up! 09:52 - Jul 8 with 4712 viewsElderGrizzly

Come to Ely today if you like a bit of blacking up! on 09:57 - Jul 8 with 4674 viewsDolly2.0

Wow, is that still allowed these days?!?

Poll: Be honest, how many times have you played the clip of Noel Hunt's goal?

Come to Ely today if you like a bit of blacking up! on 09:59 - Jul 8 with 4671 viewsElderGrizzly

Come to Ely today if you like a bit of blacking up! on 09:57 - Jul 8 by Dolly2.0

It is indeed. Nothing wrong with it, as it has no racial undertones, but always makes people do a double take.
Come to Ely today if you like a bit of blacking up! on 10:01 - Jul 8 with 4651 viewsStokieBlue

Come to Ely today if you like a bit of blacking up! on 09:59 - Jul 8 by ElderGrizzly

It is indeed. Nothing wrong with it, as it has no racial undertones, but always makes people do a double take.

What is the historical context?

SB

Avatar - M51 - The Whirlpool Galaxy - Taken on 29th April 2024

Come to Ely today if you like a bit of blacking up! on 10:03 - Jul 8 with 4650 viewsElderGrizzly

Come to Ely today if you like a bit of blacking up! on 10:01 - Jul 8 by StokieBlue

What is the historical context?

SB

Good piece here on it

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/features/black-faced
Come to Ely today if you like a bit of blacking up! on 10:08 - Jul 8 with 4630 viewsStokieBlue

Come to Ely today if you like a bit of blacking up! on 10:03 - Jul 8 by ElderGrizzly

Good piece here on it

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/features/black-faced

So nobody really knows?

SB

Avatar - M51 - The Whirlpool Galaxy - Taken on 29th April 2024

Come to Ely today if you like a bit of blacking up! on 10:18 - Jul 8 with 4599 viewsWD19

Come to Ely today if you like a bit of blacking up! on 09:57 - Jul 8 by Dolly2.0

Come to Ely today if you like a bit of blacking up! on 11:12 - Jul 8 with 4509 viewsDolly2.0

Come to Ely today if you like a bit of blacking up! on 09:59 - Jul 8 by ElderGrizzly

"Still ever so slightly wrong"

"Nothing wrong with it"

You seem confused on the issue.

How doess white people with blacked up faces NOT have racial undertones?! I don't geddit.

Come to Ely today if you like a bit of blacking up! on 12:10 - Jul 8 with 4428 viewsbluejake78

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Molly_dance
Login to get fewer ads

Come to Ely today if you like a bit of blacking up! on 13:18 - Jul 8 with 4350 viewsElderGrizzly

Come to Ely today if you like a bit of blacking up! on 11:12 - Jul 8 by Dolly2.0

"Still ever so slightly wrong"

"Nothing wrong with it"

You seem confused on the issue.

How doess white people with blacked up faces NOT have racial undertones?! I don't geddit.

Which is my reference to what most people think. It's ever so slightly wrong and the amount of articles around that have seen it banned appear to back that up sadly.
Come to Ely today if you like a bit of blacking up! on 13:54 - Jul 8 with 4294 viewsSwansea_Blue

All about intent for me, so nothing wrong with that at all. It wouldn't bother me in the slightest. Similarly, 'whiting up' for entertainment isn't an issue either.

PC going nuts.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Come to Ely today if you like a bit of blacking up! on 18:11 - Jul 8 with 4166 viewsDolly2.0

Come to Ely today if you like a bit of blacking up! on 13:18 - Jul 8 by ElderGrizzly

Which is my reference to what most people think. It's ever so slightly wrong and the amount of articles around that have seen it banned appear to back that up sadly.

I'm still confused.

On Twitter you said it's wrong. On here you said there's nothing wrong with it.

Are you just playing to different audiences?

I'll lay my cards on the table, on any form of media I'm happy to say this is wrong.

Come to Ely today if you like a bit of blacking up! on 23:43 - Jul 8 with 4088 viewsHARRY10

this should banned !

if you read the Daily Mail that is

Very little can get past the 'political correctness gone mad' brigade. The comments pages will be filled with angry words with most ranting about political correctness banning everything.

The fact that is is still going on is of no consequence, it is that belief that there is this 'evil' staking the land that sets them off.

For part I agree with a comment above. It is the intent, and that seems to be nothing more than a load of blokes jigging about the street. Whatever gets you through the night as John Lennon said.

It adds colour as did today's Pride event, as will umpteen carnivals around the country and endless festivals.

Maybe the po faced Daily Mailers might wish to stop seeing everything as an outrage, recognise that life changes, just these dances began somewhere and maybe celebrate our diversity and at times ... silliness.
Come to Ely today if you like a bit of blacking up! on 08:11 - Jul 9 with 4019 viewsimsureazzure

Why should it not be?
Come to Ely today if you like a bit of blacking up! on 08:28 - Jul 9 with 3992 viewsGlasgowBlue

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/labour/10777858/Racist-No-our-black-fac

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: What will be announced first?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Come to Ely today if you like a bit of blacking up! on 09:48 - Jul 9 with 3928 viewsDolly2.0

Come to Ely today if you like a bit of blacking up! on 08:28 - Jul 9 by GlasgowBlue

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/labour/10777858/Racist-No-our-black-fac

That article is hugely biased. They say people should mug up on their history and yet the article states "The origins of their costume is unclear".

Come to Ely today if you like a bit of blacking up! on 09:50 - Jul 9 with 3923 viewsDolly2.0

Come to Ely today if you like a bit of blacking up! on 23:43 - Jul 8 by HARRY10

this should banned !

if you read the Daily Mail that is

Very little can get past the 'political correctness gone mad' brigade. The comments pages will be filled with angry words with most ranting about political correctness banning everything.

The fact that is is still going on is of no consequence, it is that belief that there is this 'evil' staking the land that sets them off.

For part I agree with a comment above. It is the intent, and that seems to be nothing more than a load of blokes jigging about the street. Whatever gets you through the night as John Lennon said.

It adds colour as did today's Pride event, as will umpteen carnivals around the country and endless festivals.

Maybe the po faced Daily Mailers might wish to stop seeing everything as an outrage, recognise that life changes, just these dances began somewhere and maybe celebrate our diversity and at times ... silliness.

You don't have to be a Daily Mail reader (I'm not) to think that white people blacking up is a little bit dodgy.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024