Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Anyone got any recommendations for older dog insurance? 17:38 - Jul 31 with 2624 viewsRyorry

Currently w. Petplan Budget Covered for Life, premium jumped £110 to £722 p/a now he's turned 8, but this only gives £4K cover per condition per year! (+ 3rd party liability up to £1m). Ridiculous really. He has a pre-existing chronic condition of low thyroidism.

So far, been thinking about John Lewis, More Than, Lifetime Pet Cover. Anyone any experience of any of those?

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Anyone got any recommendations for older dog insurance? on 17:50 - Jul 31 with 2611 viewsgtsb1966

I have two dogs. I use direct line and tesco insurance. Sometimes I'm with just the one company for the two but other times ,as it is now, one is with tesco the other with direct line.
Anyone got any recommendations for older dog insurance? on 18:34 - Jul 31 with 2573 viewsbrogansnose

Mine is an 8 year old with More Than. I pay £484 with no known ailments or long term conditions. He had to have an op the other year for a seed head in his leg and they paid out with no quibbles.

However you look at it R, having a pedigree ain't cheap when it comes to insurance.
Anyone got any recommendations for older dog insurance? on 18:56 - Jul 31 with 2540 viewsGeoffSentence

We use Tescos , £340 for £3K per condition, our dog, a lab is 11 and has no existing conditions.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Anyone got any recommendations for older dog insurance? on 19:06 - Jul 31 with 2523 viewsLord_Lucan

We were on Pet Plan with our RIP dog Burley and the price eventually went through the roof. Can't rightly remember whether we went uninsured after that or whether we went Tesco or John Lewis, it was one of the three, think we went uninsured.

We are now with Tesco. I have since found also from others that Pet Plan are an unreasonable nightmare when the dog ages.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Anyone got any recommendations for older dog insurance? on 19:09 - Jul 31 with 2519 viewsJ2BLUE

Have a look at Quidco/Top cash back to see if you can get a chunk back.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Anyone got any recommendations for older dog insurance? on 19:24 - Jul 31 with 2499 viewsFixed_It

Petplan are excellent, but as others have pointed out their premiums become untenable as the dog gets older. I moved to Tesco - much cheaper and have claimed in the past with no hassle.

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Anyone got any recommendations for older dog insurance? on 19:31 - Jul 31 with 2490 viewsgerard1947

We're with Petplan for our two, one dog is over 8. We're hit by the high premium too. Earlier this year he needed a minor op, they paid only 80% of the total because of him being over 8. That's another clause in the small print.

I do sometimes doubt the wisdom of pet insurance. I know people who do without, preferring to save the premiums. This only works if they're able to put their hands on sufficient readies if a big bill comes up before enough money has accrued.

I've had various pets insured, in all cases I've massively paid more in premiums than I've claimed. I guess that's how insurance works.
Anyone got any recommendations for older dog insurance? on 19:34 - Jul 31 with 2471 viewsLord_Lucan

Anyone got any recommendations for older dog insurance? on 19:31 - Jul 31 by gerard1947

We're with Petplan for our two, one dog is over 8. We're hit by the high premium too. Earlier this year he needed a minor op, they paid only 80% of the total because of him being over 8. That's another clause in the small print.

I do sometimes doubt the wisdom of pet insurance. I know people who do without, preferring to save the premiums. This only works if they're able to put their hands on sufficient readies if a big bill comes up before enough money has accrued.

I've had various pets insured, in all cases I've massively paid more in premiums than I've claimed. I guess that's how insurance works.

Burley RIP had two £1500 operations so I guess it was worth it.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.

Login to get fewer ads

Anyone got any recommendations for older dog insurance? on 19:55 - Jul 31 with 2460 viewsgerard1947

Anyone got any recommendations for older dog insurance? on 19:34 - Jul 31 by Lord_Lucan

Burley RIP had two £1500 operations so I guess it was worth it.

That's the problem vets bills can be really big. You can't put a price on it though, I couldn't be with out my dogs.
Anyone got any recommendations for older dog insurance? on 19:58 - Jul 31 with 2456 viewsRyorry

Anyone got any recommendations for older dog insurance? on 19:31 - Jul 31 by gerard1947

I feel I have to have it cos of the 3rd party liability - only takes one careless delivery driver to leave a gate ajar, and he could be on the road causing an accident (or worse).

Thanks for the info all - looks like Tescos will be top of my list to get a quote from, then More Than. Just had a quote back from Lifetime Pet Cover - premium's higher than for my existing policy, same cover! refreshingly honest agent admitted that they're not competitive for my boy's breed (Italian Spinone) which was interesting, didn't realise that different breeds have different premiums, but I guess some are more prone to certain conditions - bloat e.g. However, I'd have thought smaller dogs would be more expensive to insure, as they tend to live longer.

Anyone got any recommendations for older dog insurance? on 20:03 - Jul 31 with 2445 viewsMark

While a bit of the risk short term, rather than pay £60 a month pet insurance I would rather invest that into an ISA (cash/shares/bonds/property) and withdraw from that if any big vet bills come up. Only works after the funds have built up of course, but it sounds like insurance doesn't work anyway if they hike the premiums up to be affordable if the dog gets old or falls ill.
Anyone got any recommendations for older dog insurance? on 20:06 - Jul 31 with 2430 viewsMark

Anyone got any recommendations for older dog insurance? on 19:58 - Jul 31 by Ryorry

I feel I have to have it cos of the 3rd party liability - only takes one careless delivery driver to leave a gate ajar, and he could be on the road causing an accident (or worse).

Thanks for the info all - looks like Tescos will be top of my list to get a quote from, then More Than. Just had a quote back from Lifetime Pet Cover - premium's higher than for my existing policy, same cover! refreshingly honest agent admitted that they're not competitive for my boy's breed (Italian Spinone) which was interesting, didn't realise that different breeds have different premiums, but I guess some are more prone to certain conditions - bloat e.g. However, I'd have thought smaller dogs would be more expensive to insure, as they tend to live longer.

I think home insurance covers liability relating to dogs, but check the policy carefully.
Anyone got any recommendations for older dog insurance? on 20:08 - Jul 31 with 2428 viewsRyorry

Anyone got any recommendations for older dog insurance? on 20:06 - Jul 31 by Mark

I think home insurance covers liability relating to dogs, but check the policy carefully.

Very good point, will do, thanks!

Anyone got any recommendations for older dog insurance? on 18:00 - Aug 2 with 2265 viewsRyorry

Anyone got any recommendations for older dog insurance? on 20:06 - Jul 31 by Mark

Spectacularly good shout, just renewed with my home insurers (JL) & they confirmed that 3rd party liability for my dog (all domestic pets in fact) is included up to £10m!

Many thanks indeed!

I now have to have a big think as to what to do - not rung Tesco's or any other yet ...

Anyone got any recommendations for older dog insurance? on 20:46 - Aug 2 with 2217 viewsLord_Lucan

Ryorry, you forgot to up thumb this one.

PMSL.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024