Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
More wine advice 18:04 - Aug 18 with 2255 viewsunbelievablue

I'm attending a BBQ tomorrow in Sleepy Suffolk. Knowing the hosts it'll be a very good spread. What wines would you suggest go best with a varied, mixed meat/veggie BBQ?

Le meilleur des mondes possibles
Poll: When booking a reservation at a restaurant/bar, do you give...

More wine advice on 18:11 - Aug 18 with 2225 viewsGeoffSentence

Blue Nun or Mateus Rosé

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

More wine advice on 18:50 - Aug 18 with 2171 viewsBasuco

For white Asda do a very nice Chablis at £10.48 and for red go for a Louis Jadot Bourgogne at £10.50, both are light fruity, very pleasant and not too expensive either, but taste like they are very much more expensive than they really are.
More wine advice on 18:54 - Aug 18 with 2158 viewslowhouseblue

if you're near an adams shop their own label bacchus is good. and it's grown in the waveney valley.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

More wine advice on 18:59 - Aug 18 with 2145 viewsLord_Lucan

For white you simply can't beat a Villa Maria. For red I would pick up a nice Shiraz.

Don't know why you didn't just text me you heathen.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

More wine advice on 19:25 - Aug 18 with 2117 viewsunbelievablue

More wine advice on 18:59 - Aug 18 by Lord_Lucan

For white you simply can't beat a Villa Maria. For red I would pick up a nice Shiraz.

Don't know why you didn't just text me you heathen.

Sorry milord. Shiraz it is.

More wine advice on 19:29 - Aug 18 with 2107 viewsconnorscontract

The first bit of advice would be to just buy what you like drinking. It's a barbecue, a relaxed social occasion, so you should be laid back about it. Whilst Red is more "correct" with grilled meats, if you don't like Red wines buy a White you'll enjoy.

Lucan's suggestion of Villa Maria is a really good, easy to find better quality brand sold in Supermarkets: I really like their Sauvignon Blanc. Usually around 10 quid list price but also on offers around the £7.99 mark.

But if you like Red wine then that is more normal with a Barbecue, but it's relaxed and you should go for something not too flash. Your use of "very good spread" suggests the hosts are generous and you don't want to appear tight, but you would be better off putting money into flowers alongside a bottle than taking a very expensive bottle to a barbecue.

Red grape varieties with a little bit of spice: Shiraz (also known as Syrah) or maybe a Malbec or Grenache. Zinfandel is also a good red grape for Barbecues. It's hard to recommend a particular wine without knowing which shops you have access to. I'd look online for the shop you'll go to, type Shiraz etc into the search bar and read reviews.

Riojas tend to be really pleasant and easy to drink, and for a Red Rioja you can't go wrong with a solid brand like Campo Viejo. I really like CVNE (sometimes listed as CUNE) and Lan brand Riojas as well, if you can find them. Riojas are graded by how long they have been reserved in Oak: Crianza through Reserva to Gran Reserva. A Campo Viejo Crianza should be about 7 or 8 quid in a supermarket, the Reserva 8 to 10 quid. The oak gives a vanilla (and some people say "cigar box") quality to the wine and make it really pleasant and smooth.

It's summer, so you could go with Rose wines, if you like them. They'll go well with Pork and cope with Beef or Chicken.
[Post edited 18 Aug 2017 19:33]
More wine advice on 19:30 - Aug 18 with 2104 viewsconnorscontract

More wine advice on 18:54 - Aug 18 by lowhouseblue

if you're near an adams shop their own label bacchus is good. and it's grown in the waveney valley.

I'm loving the Bacchus this Summer. In the next ten years or so everyone will be drinking it.
More wine advice on 19:31 - Aug 18 with 2101 viewsMedwayTractor

I'm not much good on whites, but for reds, for something a tad different, you could try Majestic's Primitivo Natale Virga, £7.99 each or £6.99 per bottle for a half case.

If pink is your thing, try Majestic's Zinfandel Route 88, £8.49 or £7.49 for a half case.

For more safety, Majestic have a several labels of Tempranillo (same grape as Rioja, but cheaper) at or below these prices.

I've always found the Majestic staff really helpful and knowledgable, something you will never get at Tesco!

Blog: Who's Next Between the Sticks (Or Be Careful What You Wish For)?

Login to get fewer ads

More wine advice on 19:52 - Aug 18 with 2057 viewsbluelou

More wine advice on 18:50 - Aug 18 by Basuco

For white Asda do a very nice Chablis at £10.48 and for red go for a Louis Jadot Bourgogne at £10.50, both are light fruity, very pleasant and not too expensive either, but taste like they are very much more expensive than they really are.

villa Maria Sauvignon is on special at Asda. It's perfect.
Better than bottles twice the price

Poll: What will have the greatest positive impact on attendances next season?

More wine advice on 20:01 - Aug 18 with 2046 viewsjeera

It's a bbq.

Red, malbec.

White, sauvignon blanc.

Paying over 8 for a bottle of wine just isn't necessary nowadays. It just isn't. Not for a bbq anyway.

Which athlete was it who said something along the lines of once you get over 70 quid mark for trainers you're just trying to impress others.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

More wine advice on 20:01 - Aug 18 with 2046 viewsLord_Lucan

More wine advice on 19:25 - Aug 18 by unbelievablue

Sorry milord. Shiraz it is.

Shiraz will be fine but I meant to say Riocha

I think I've lost the plot.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

More wine advice on 20:03 - Aug 18 with 2040 viewsblue_oyster

Red and white.

Conventional wisdom is the enemy of thought.
Poll: Who is the most hated contributor to this site?

More wine advice on 20:06 - Aug 18 with 2033 viewsHerbivore

Malbec. Love a good Malbec.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

More wine advice on 20:14 - Aug 18 with 2018 viewsjeera

More wine advice on 20:06 - Aug 18 by Herbivore

Malbec. Love a good Malbec.

Absolutely!

Though I do like shiraz.

And merlot. Though it gives me a headache nowadays.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

More wine advice on 20:49 - Aug 18 with 1975 viewsBurwell_Blue

No one wants to be be drinking red when the sun is out, BBQ or not.

Take a Rose and a nice Spray and you are sorted.
More wine advice on 20:50 - Aug 18 with 1972 viewsunbelievablue

More wine advice on 19:29 - Aug 18 by connorscontract

The first bit of advice would be to just buy what you like drinking. It's a barbecue, a relaxed social occasion, so you should be laid back about it. Whilst Red is more "correct" with grilled meats, if you don't like Red wines buy a White you'll enjoy.

Lucan's suggestion of Villa Maria is a really good, easy to find better quality brand sold in Supermarkets: I really like their Sauvignon Blanc. Usually around 10 quid list price but also on offers around the £7.99 mark.

But if you like Red wine then that is more normal with a Barbecue, but it's relaxed and you should go for something not too flash. Your use of "very good spread" suggests the hosts are generous and you don't want to appear tight, but you would be better off putting money into flowers alongside a bottle than taking a very expensive bottle to a barbecue.

Red grape varieties with a little bit of spice: Shiraz (also known as Syrah) or maybe a Malbec or Grenache. Zinfandel is also a good red grape for Barbecues. It's hard to recommend a particular wine without knowing which shops you have access to. I'd look online for the shop you'll go to, type Shiraz etc into the search bar and read reviews.

Riojas tend to be really pleasant and easy to drink, and for a Red Rioja you can't go wrong with a solid brand like Campo Viejo. I really like CVNE (sometimes listed as CUNE) and Lan brand Riojas as well, if you can find them. Riojas are graded by how long they have been reserved in Oak: Crianza through Reserva to Gran Reserva. A Campo Viejo Crianza should be about 7 or 8 quid in a supermarket, the Reserva 8 to 10 quid. The oak gives a vanilla (and some people say "cigar box") quality to the wine and make it really pleasant and smooth.

It's summer, so you could go with Rose wines, if you like them. They'll go well with Pork and cope with Beef or Chicken.
[Post edited 18 Aug 2017 19:33]

Much obliged, a fulsome reply.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024