Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
*Why* has the Govt. capped the building of new council housing?? 22:28 - Oct 5 with 11745 viewsRyorry

According to the LB Councillor just interviewed on the BBC1 news?

The whole homelessness/housing situation in the UK seems utterly scandalous - is it really too much to ask to expect us to have an adequate, never mind an effective, ethical housing policy? Those poor people just featured on the news clip - and the tens of thousands of others ...

Hope this is asked on BBCQT, doubt it will be tho.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

*Why* has the Govt. capped the building of new council housing?? on 22:36 - Oct 5 with 5712 viewsjeera

I've not seen this yet.

I thought they were boasting about plans to build more social housing?

As an aside, is this actual social or so called 'affordable'? Any why did the switch from one to the other occur other than an excuse to charge more for it?

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

*Why* has the Govt. capped the building of new council housing?? on 22:37 - Oct 5 with 5710 viewsJ2BLUE

I think Suffolk Council have a target they need to hit for getting new houses built. They had some sort of advert in the paper a while ago for people who wanted to sell land. My mum is hoping to sell some . No idea if there is a cap across the country but the people dealing with it seemed to think the council wouldn't hit their target.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

*Why* has the Govt. capped the building of new council housing?? on 22:39 - Oct 5 with 5708 viewsRyorry

*Why* has the Govt. capped the building of new council housing?? on 22:36 - Oct 5 by jeera

I've not seen this yet.

I thought they were boasting about plans to build more social housing?

As an aside, is this actual social or so called 'affordable'? Any why did the switch from one to the other occur other than an excuse to charge more for it?

They were, a pitiful number - 5 drops in the ocean (5,000).

No idea of the answers to your Qs, I'd certainly like to ask the entire cabinet (incl TM) myself!

*Why* has the Govt. capped the building of new council housing?? on 22:46 - Oct 5 with 5696 viewsjeera

*Why* has the Govt. capped the building of new council housing?? on 22:39 - Oct 5 by Ryorry

They were, a pitiful number - 5 drops in the ocean (5,000).

No idea of the answers to your Qs, I'd certainly like to ask the entire cabinet (incl TM) myself!

For a number of years new developments had to contain a % of social housing didn't they, but that's been stopped.

I know of a development near to me that is going to have a % of 'affordable', but have no idea if that was a prerequisite to the deal or how it works.

I'm sure some posters would know.

*Why* has the Govt. capped the building of new council housing?? on 22:48 - Oct 5 with 5694 viewsfactual_blue

They have capped it because we are all in this together*

*terms and conditions apply

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

*Why* has the Govt. capped the building of new council housing?? on 22:53 - Oct 5 with 5677 viewsRyorry

*Why* has the Govt. capped the building of new council housing?? on 22:46 - Oct 5 by jeera

For a number of years new developments had to contain a % of social housing didn't they, but that's been stopped.

I know of a development near to me that is going to have a % of 'affordable', but have no idea if that was a prerequisite to the deal or how it works.

And who decides what the "affordable" price bracket is?

What's needed are 1-bed and studio apartments for singles, and 2-bed terraces for young couples. What's being built in Harrogate, eg, from what I've seen, are developments of 3 & 4 bed detached homes that will simply attract those already on the housing ladder to move to Harrogate from connurbations like Leeds/Bradford, do nothing to help ameliorate the housing crisis, but add to pollution/global warming/traffic jams via the daily commute.

*Why* has the Govt. capped the building of new council housing?? on 22:58 - Oct 5 with 5665 viewsjeera

*Why* has the Govt. capped the building of new council housing?? on 22:53 - Oct 5 by Ryorry

And who decides what the "affordable" price bracket is?

What's needed are 1-bed and studio apartments for singles, and 2-bed terraces for young couples. What's being built in Harrogate, eg, from what I've seen, are developments of 3 & 4 bed detached homes that will simply attract those already on the housing ladder to move to Harrogate from connurbations like Leeds/Bradford, do nothing to help ameliorate the housing crisis, but add to pollution/global warming/traffic jams via the daily commute.

"What's needed are 1-bed and studio apartments for singles, and 2-bed terraces for young couples. "

Yes, and also equally desperately needed are affordable retirement bungalows for all these old dears who no longer want their council 3 bed semis with big gardens and stairs to cope with.

Thus freeing up said homes with no need to build more.

*Why* has the Govt. capped the building of new council housing?? on 22:59 - Oct 5 with 5659 viewsArcher4721

I would like to know why it's taken 7 years for the BBC to finally start reporting this.

It is a tragic situation that has gone on for far too long and it's been swept under the carpet and been allowed to happen. It will take more than the Governments' proposed target of building 8.000 new homes a year to rectify. 65% of private landlords won't accept people on benefits and now it's spreading to the low paid who can't afford to rent homes.

It's frankly disgusting in this day and age so many citizens are being neglected all in the name of austerity.
Login to get fewer ads

*Why* has the Govt. capped the building of new council housing?? on 23:04 - Oct 5 with 5655 viewsRyorry

*Why* has the Govt. capped the building of new council housing?? on 22:58 - Oct 5 by jeera

"What's needed are 1-bed and studio apartments for singles, and 2-bed terraces for young couples. "

Yes, and also equally desperately needed are affordable retirement bungalows for all these old dears who no longer want their council 3 bed semis with big gardens and stairs to cope with.

Thus freeing up said homes with no need to build more.

Wouldn't disagree, as part of a proper overall strategy.

*Why* has the Govt. capped the building of new council housing?? on 23:06 - Oct 5 with 5650 viewsjeera

*Why* has the Govt. capped the building of new council housing?? on 22:59 - Oct 5 by Archer4721

I would like to know why it's taken 7 years for the BBC to finally start reporting this.

It is a tragic situation that has gone on for far too long and it's been swept under the carpet and been allowed to happen. It will take more than the Governments' proposed target of building 8.000 new homes a year to rectify. 65% of private landlords won't accept people on benefits and now it's spreading to the low paid who can't afford to rent homes.

It's frankly disgusting in this day and age so many citizens are being neglected all in the name of austerity.

Like everything, the country stands back and watches, tutting along the way until the position is non reversible.

Then pretends to act.

*Why* has the Govt. capped the building of new council housing?? on 06:25 - Oct 6 with 5556 viewsGlasgowBlue

Do you have a link for this? The only thing I can find on council housing is this one saying they are going to be building more council houses.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-41502601

It seems to suggest the opposite to what you are saying.
[Post edited 6 Oct 2017 7:07]

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

*Why* has the Govt. capped the building of new council housing?? on 09:40 - Oct 6 with 5492 viewsRyorry

*Why* has the Govt. capped the building of new council housing?? on 06:25 - Oct 6 by GlasgowBlue

Do you have a link for this? The only thing I can find on council housing is this one saying they are going to be building more council houses.

Last night's 10pm BBC1 News, (I believe on iPlayer) if only you could look at what I actually said instead of something else that you preferred to look at.

*Why* has the Govt. capped the building of new council housing?? on 09:57 - Oct 6 with 5478 viewsblue_oyster

The 'council housing' soundbite is designed to sound like there will a serious scheme to build council houses similar to those built post-war. It is nothing of the sort, and a drop in the ocean even compared to the money spent on the right to buy scheme.

Conventional wisdom is the enemy of thought.
Poll: Who is the most hated contributor to this site?

*Why* has the Govt. capped the building of new council housing?? on 09:58 - Oct 6 with 5478 viewsBOjK

*Why* has the Govt. capped the building of new council housing?? on 06:25 - Oct 6 by GlasgowBlue

It is 25 thousand, over 4 years.

Link? https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=theresa+may+25000+houses&gws_rd=cr&dcr=0&ei=tk

May has - not for the first time - correctly identified one of the problems facing the country but produced a policy utterly incapable of addressing the problem.
[Post edited 6 Oct 2017 10:01]

Blog: [Blog] Keep Calm and Carry on (Or Why the Club is Not in Crisis from Top to Bottom)

*Why* has the Govt. capped the building of new council housing?? on 09:59 - Oct 6 with 5475 viewsGlasgowBlue

*Why* has the Govt. capped the building of new council housing?? on 09:40 - Oct 6 by Ryorry

Last night's 10pm BBC1 News, (I believe on iPlayer) if only you could look at what I actually said instead of something else that you preferred to look at.

I read what you said

"Why has the government capped the building of new council housing"

Now I haven't taken a lot of notice of this subject but from what I have read on the BBC News website they are doing the opposite and funding new building of council housing.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

*Why* has the Govt. capped the building of new council housing?? on 10:16 - Oct 6 with 5440 viewsArcher4721

Here you go...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-41519353/housing-crisis-bbc-finds-families-in-di
[Post edited 6 Oct 2017 10:26]
*Why* has the Govt. capped the building of new council housing?? on 10:17 - Oct 6 with 5442 viewsNo9

What is says is-

"The government said the £2bn injection could fund 25,000 homes for social rent by 2021"

£2Bn seems a lot of money to only build 25k homes between now & the end of 21.

Apart from the fact it is nowhere near enough ans will make things worse.
You will no doubt also notice that £10 Bn will go in handouts to those who can afford an expensive mortgage

Don't you think this is riddled with class division?
*Why* has the Govt. capped the building of new council housing?? on 10:19 - Oct 6 with 5440 viewsRyorry

*Why* has the Govt. capped the building of new council housing?? on 10:16 - Oct 6 by Archer4721

Here you go...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-41519353/housing-crisis-bbc-finds-families-in-di

That's the one, thanks Archer.

Edit: On the 10pm news last night tho, that clip was followed up by an interview with a local Councillor (female from what I guess was Redbridge) who pointed out that their hands as a London Boro Housing Dept were tied by the Govt who she said "have placed a cap on us building social housing".

*Why* has the Govt. capped the building of new council housing?? on 10:23 - Oct 6 with 5429 viewsArcher4721

*Why* has the Govt. capped the building of new council housing?? on 10:19 - Oct 6 by Ryorry

That's the one, thanks Archer.

Edit: On the 10pm news last night tho, that clip was followed up by an interview with a local Councillor (female from what I guess was Redbridge) who pointed out that their hands as a London Boro Housing Dept were tied by the Govt who she said "have placed a cap on us building social housing".

It's an edited version but you get the picture.
*Why* has the Govt. capped the building of new council housing?? on 10:25 - Oct 6 with 5424 viewshampstead_blue

*Why* has the Govt. capped the building of new council housing?? on 22:46 - Oct 5 by jeera

"For a number of years new developments had to contain a % of social housing didn't they, but that's been stopped. "

It is still current policy.
We are developing a site where we have to provide 20% affordable housing from the 10 units we will build.

Each town, county has different policies.

If you don't put the affordable element in then you pay an amount to the local council in lieu. This is a trick as I doubt it is invested in building or providing more affordable housing.

The affordable houses we will build will lose us money which is why small developers go for the cash payment or just parcel-up the land instead.

The main problem with council houses is that people stay there way beyond the time period they need the help.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

*Why* has the Govt. capped the building of new council housing?? on 10:26 - Oct 6 with 5419 viewsgiant_stow

*Why* has the Govt. capped the building of new council housing?? on 10:23 - Oct 6 by Archer4721

Once again the govt is protecting house-builders - those bastads have deep claws.

Said it before: create £50-100 billion of funny money, create a state house-builder to compete with the private bods and get building. The investment will pay off over the years.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

*Why* has the Govt. capped the building of new council housing?? on 10:27 - Oct 6 with 5416 viewsNo9

*Why* has the Govt. capped the building of new council housing?? on 10:23 - Oct 6 by Archer4721

The numbers of people being chucked into these unfit places has been already dealt with by Shelter but the government ignore them.

Mrs May, since her inaugural speech has overseen a worsening scenario & done nothing about it.
*Why* has the Govt. capped the building of new council housing?? on 10:28 - Oct 6 with 5411 viewsRyorry

Was writing my edit as you posted that! Looks like the full 10pm news doesn't get onto BBC iPlayer? but I'm sure they'd provide a link for anyone who emailed, tweeted or whatever, to ask.

*Why* has the Govt. capped the building of new council housing?? on 10:34 - Oct 6 with 5400 viewshampstead_blue

*Why* has the Govt. capped the building of new council housing?? on 10:26 - Oct 6 by giant_stow

Once again the govt is protecting house-builders - those bastads have deep claws.

Said it before: create £50-100 billion of funny money, create a state house-builder to compete with the private bods and get building. The investment will pay off over the years.

Nationalise house building?

I agree that there is a lack of vision from the main house builders. If you look at the continent there are so many solutions to deliver low cost, high quality and hugely environmentally friendly housing.

The house builders just throw up cheap toot which is expensive and inefficient.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

*Why* has the Govt. capped the building of new council housing?? on 10:34 - Oct 6 with 5400 viewsRyorry

*Why* has the Govt. capped the building of new council housing?? on 10:26 - Oct 6 by giant_stow

Thanks for addressing the fundamental question!

I agree, and it wouldn't all have to be QE'd money - as I've said before, the workforce could incorporate people (esp young ones) taken off the unemployment register, put on apprenticeships, taught useful trades such as plumbing, electrics, chippy skills etc etc - all of which there seems to be a permanent shortage of in the UK, judging by their scarcity when you need one!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024